• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Why same symbols for commerce and gold?

I got it working!

Now, the only weird thing is that for some reason you actually have to MOVE the original Gamefont files out of the "Program Files\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\res\fonts" directory. Just renaming them doesn't seem to work (oddly). Also, unlike all other mod files, the game won't read the ones in CustomAssets by default. Weird.

Anyway, just unzip this into your CustomAssets directory!

Let me know if it doesn't work...

Attachments

• newcommerce.zip
    163.4 KB · Views: 751
Simetrical said:
Er, isn't this just in the alpha channel?

YES!!! Thankyou thankyou thankyou. I should have guessed. My new gold icon works perfectly now. :goodjob:

Here it is in case anyone wants to use it.

Attachments

• newgold.jpg
    newgold.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 478
  • custom_gold.zip
    139.7 KB · Views: 2,588
I'd just like to mention to people following this thread that these two mods don't work together - since they both modify the same file. :)

Shouldn't be too difficult to combine them, but I thought you all deserved a heads up before trying to install them both and wondering why things aren't working. :)

edit: I just combined them, since I could see it would only take a couple minutes. Here's the zip file for the new gamefonts files from both of our mods:

Attachments

• bothmods.zip
    132.3 KB · Views: 358
I just edited my own zip file above as well. :lol:

I've added the individual icon files that can easily be inserted into a previously existing mod. You MUST remember to copy the apha channel as well though.

I just installed these (from MerakSpielman's zip above) and it appears to work, except the icons on the land (when I turn on the yield view) still show as coins. In the civilopedia, commerce shows as arrows, and in the city screen, gold shows as the stack of coins, but the map still shows the old emblem. Any ideas? Could it be because I am doing this with an already saved game that I have going? I would not think that would matter here.

n003lb said:
I just installed these (from MerakSpielman's zip above) and it appears to work, except the icons on the land (when I turn on the yield view) still show as coins. In the civilopedia, commerce shows as arrows, and in the city screen, gold shows as the stack of coins, but the map still shows the old emblem. Any ideas? Could it be because I am doing this with an already saved game that I have going? I would not think that would matter here.

I installed the same file and it seems to work, even on the map view with the yield view enabled.

n003lb said:
If you have the 1.09 patch, try holding down shift when you start the game to clear out your cache.

MerakSpielman said:
If you have the 1.09 patch, try holding down shift when you start the game to clear out your cache.

I'll bet that's it. I'll try it tonight when I get home. Thanks

Note: to anyone who downloaded my old custom gold file, there was some problem with it that caused other icons on the world map not to work. I've now fixed that and the new file is uploaded to the same location.

=DOCTOR= said:
So, say I was wanting to use the new gold icon of Stuporstar. Can you give me a walk through of what to do precisely and what copying an "alpha channel" means?

Cheers
If all you're doing is installing his mod so you can see the new graphics, you don't need to worry about the alpha channel. Just install the files, and all the piddly graphics stuff has been done for you.

But if you're going to be creating new graphics yourself, you should know some more about it.

But basically the alpha channel is an additional layer of information within the graphics file. It allows a program reading the file to know what part of the image to display on the screen and what part to leave transparent. Without the alpha channel layer, you'd have ugle white or black squares around your icons every time they were displayed on the screen.

I can only speak for Photoshop (not GIMP), but to look at the alpha channel you click the Channels tab, then select the Alpha Channel layer. White indicates an area of the image that will be displayed, shades of gray allow a bit of transparency, so the icon fuzzes out nicely at the very edge, and black indicates transparency, or areas that won't be displayed by the game.

DSChapin said:
IMHO, this should really go in "completed modpacks".
I created a thread in Graphics Mods for the new commerce icon. It's progressed through several iterations by now. :)

If I install this and play multiplayer will everyone else need it as well or is it just a graphics change on my computer.

Thanks
Gary

Shouldn't. It's just what your computer shows, so everyone else will see it as the old one. Welcome to Civ Fanatics!

Wait, commerce doesn't look anything like gold. Are we talking about Vanilla here? Commerce _does_ look a bit like Happiness on my monitor though...

Yes, this thread is about Vanilla Civ, as this thread is from 2005. I think the gold/commerce thing was changed in warlords.

I don't have warlords, I play vanilla with whip cream (sevomod), and they are the same.

Top Bottom