New Unit : Sniper

korvgubben

Chieftain
Here is a screenshot of a new unit I created : Sniper.
The graphic is a reskin of infantry, so it' a WWII type of sniper.
The unit is invisible for others, can move twice and has a first attack (off course : you never see a sniper coming!!!)
The unit works great but I have problems with the names and the civilopedia :
everything appears like "TEXT_KEY_UNIT_SNIPER" and so on. I guess plenty of you know how to change that so just explain me and I'll coorect the xml fils for this unit.
If you don't bother having bad names and no texts, I can propose you a mod with everything you need in it. You'll play as in a normal game but when you'll discover chain assembly, you'll be able to have snipers! Though it weight mor tha 500kb even ziped so I don't know how to make it avaiable.
Once a gain, if someone can help me...!!!
Actually, the sniper unit is a part of a Furtive mod I'm creating : it will include mor other "furtive" units!

her comes the pic

Attachments

• sniper0001.JPG
    sniper0001.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 4,711
s it possible to change the behavior of a unit, I mean the gesture they make if I ask them to fight or to fortify? I guess it's in the .kf files and we can't modifie them wiyhout firaxis' releas!

the TXT_KEY_blablabla is a reference to a text file. if your going to make it just in english, you can replace the whole tag just by Sniper. if this doesn't work, you have to create a xml file in the assets/xml/text file, containing this tag (TXT_KEY_blablabla) followed by
<english>sniper</english>
<french>sniper in french</french>
etc.

haarbal

korvgubben said:
Here is a screenshot of a new unit I created : Sniper.
The graphic is a reskin of infantry, so it' a WWII type of sniper.
The unit is invisible for others, can move twice and has a first attack (off course : you never see a sniper coming!!!)
The unit works great but I have problems with the names and the civilopedia :
everything appears like "TEXT_KEY_UNIT_SNIPER" and so on. I guess plenty of you know how to change that so just explain me and I'll coorect the xml fils for this unit.
If you don't bother having bad names and no texts, I can propose you a mod with everything you need in it. You'll play as in a normal game but when you'll discover chain assembly, you'll be able to have snipers! Though it weight mor tha 500kb even ziped so I don't know how to make it avaiable.
Once a gain, if someone can help me...!!!
Actually, the sniper unit is a part of a Furtive mod I'm creating : it will include mor other "furtive" units!

The easiest way to change the name is to put Sniper in the Text description in the units file. Otherwise you'll need to add it to the textobjects file and class file.

I know I didn't put the file but I really don't know how to do : the art file and the xml files, after ziped, are too big and I can't put them here so please tell me how to do!

the TXT_KEY_blablabla is a reference to a text file. if your going to make it just in english, you can replace the whole tag just by Sniper. if this doesn't work, you have to create a xml file in the assets/xml/text file, containing this tag (TXT_KEY_blablabla) followed by
<english>sniper</english>
<french>sniper in french</french>
etc.
Ok I managed to correct everything : it appears as Sniper and we get the text from civilopedia!
Though it's still a too heavy zip to be uploaded here.
Any suggestions???

korvgubben said:
I know I didn't put the file but I really don't know how to do : the art file and the xml files, after ziped, are too big and I can't put them here so please tell me how to do!
:cool: C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\xml\units.
CIV4UnitInfos.xml(this is the unit information file).

C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\xml\art
CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml(this is where the art files for the units are set)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

(FIND THIS IN THE CIV4UnitInfos.xml)
Code:
<Class>UNITCLASS_RIFLEMAN</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_RIFLEMAN</Type>
			<UniqueNames/>
			<Special>NONE</Special>
			<Capture>NONE</Capture>
			<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_GUN</Combat>
			<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
			<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE</DefaultUnitAI>
			<Invisible>NONE</Invisible>
			<SeeInvisible>NONE</SeeInvisible>
[COLOR="Blue"]CHANGE THIS[/COLOR]
			[COLOR="DarkRed"]<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_RIFLEMAN</Description>[/COLOR] 
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_UNIT_RIFLEMAN_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_RIFLEMAN_STRATEGY</Strategy>
=========================================================
TO WHAT I HAVE BELOW IN [COLOR="DarkRed"]RED[/COLOR]
=========================================================

<Class>UNITCLASS_RIFLEMAN</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_RIFLEMAN</Type>
			<UniqueNames/>
			<Special>NONE</Special>
			<Capture>NONE</Capture>
			<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_GUN</Combat>
			<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
			<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE</DefaultUnitAI>
			<Invisible>NONE</Invisible>
			<SeeInvisible>NONE</SeeInvisible>
[COLOR="Blue"]CHANGE THIS[/COLOR]
			[COLOR="DarkRed"]<Description>Rifleman</Description>[/COLOR] 
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_UNIT_RIFLEMAN_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_RIFLEMAN_STRATEGY</Strategy>[/

You can do this for your sniper unit.

Ok I made a new unit again : the modern sniper. It's the evolution of the sniper. It has the same characteristics but is more powerful and starts with sentry.
I think you can upgrade the sniper into the modern sniper, but I don't know if it works.

I remins you that I still don't know how to make it avaiable on the site when the zip is over 500kb.
Thanks for your help if you know!

Attachments

• SNIPERS0000.JPG
    SNIPERS0000.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 2,702
To post files over 500kb, go to filegone.com and upload your file. Then, put the download link they give you in the post for viewers to click on. They'll be directed to your filegone download page.

Btw, the modern sniper looks great!

Looks good! But does it have dissadvantages, like vs armour it would be ineffective, well, if the armour crew popped there heads out to get out for the night... But still, in open battle a tank could wipe out a squad of snipers, if the snipers didn't retreat and were in a grassy plain.

Maybe you should put them at 20 power with pinch, cover, and woodsman 1, Guerilla 1.

That would put them at 25 pwr vs Guns and archers, plus 24 vs anything moving into there square when defending a forest or hill (or could the enemy see them? Maybe drop woodsman and guerilla and add flanking 1...)

Same for the modern sniper, just more power, subtract from it maybe 20% in power, so if it was 100 pwr it would become 80 pwr (though I highly doubt those are the exact figures...)

To upload files over 500kb to the CFC server, go to the bottom of this page and find the thing that says "Upload File". Go there and follow directions.

@General Matt
Although i agree with you on the promotions and disadvantage vs armor, there are sniper rifles that can penetrate armor plating (however, these are very rarely used and still aren't as effective vs vehicles as explosives, etc.)

Hmm, maybe he could make the Modern sniper with Ambush that means

(Say power is 30)

30+%25=37.5 up vs. Modern Armour which is 40... Maybe Modern sniper should be 28, it would then be 35 pwr...

Maybe even 26 pwr with 32.5 vs armour...

I believe the sniper should have a negative bonus against armor ... that is much more realistic, especially if you think about what GeneralMatt was saying.

By the way, Aranor already made a Sniper unit. Here is the thread. Check it out.

Top Bottom