Biological attacks for CIV4 (Beware56k)

RED DIAMOND

Prince
Inspired by Exavier:goodjob: and the Composite Mod's Tactical ICBM I dove further into the XML files. I realized we could make an Infiltration unit with a Bio-Attack capability and this is what I came up with. The skin is Korvgrubben's Resistance male.

Look at the top right hand corner, that's him. Also notice the strength of Caesar's troops.

He sneaks in for the attack, as only spies can see him. He's in and he sets off his dirty bomb. Now, notice the strength of Caesar's troops and the number. Effective but not out of balance IMHO.

This next set shows the effects a Bio-Attack can have on the terrain. The desert patch to the right is the target.

Once the attack is underway the Infiltrator is consumed in the raditon cloud.

This is the kind of thing that can cause the enemy or you a serious headache:lol:

It has become quite an effective tool when used at the right time.

The next pic is just a demo on the scaling you can do with units. The TACICBM ala Exavier was scaled down for my subs. Next to it it the regular ICBM. Questions comments:cool:

let me know when you get that pink icon thing figured out... I am stumped as how to fix it....

(sorry to go OT)

Wow, very nice. I do have a concern about its balance. First of all, does it actually have a limit on how many units it can hurt at once. Because while it's realistic that a bio-weapon would damage however many troops you have in a city, in terms of game balance it's overpowering.

Also, these are just ideas (that you may or may not have thought of) for this unit. If attacking a city it should probably reduce population (I'm guessing it reduces health due to radiation. Is that radiation on the desert tile btw, I never used, or seen AI use, nukes before? First UN vote is always the anti nuke one :))
Also, whatever unit has that ability should be national, just cause your defense against it is a spy.

Anyway, very cool. I definitely miss some of the spy abilities from Civ3

Rabbit said:
Wow, very nice. I do have a concern about its balance. First of all, does it actually have a limit on how many units it can hurt at once. Because while it's realistic that a bio-weapon would damage however many troops you have in a city, in terms of game balance it's overpowering.

Also, these are just ideas (that you may or may not have thought of) for this unit. If attacking a city it should probably reduce population (I'm guessing it reduces health due to radiation. Is that radiation on the desert tile btw, I never used, or seen AI use, nukes before? First UN vote is always the anti nuke one :))
Also, whatever unit has that ability should be national, just cause your defense against it is a spy.

Anyway, very cool. I definitely miss some of the spy abilities from Civ3

Yep, you want it capped at a limit of 3. A certain amount of damage to any troop there would be expected, don't know what the upper limit is if any. I'll do more testing. And yes yes the AI is smart and will use nukes, tatical nukes and this bio-weapon on you and the enemy AI.:D

Neomega said:
let me know when you get that pink icon thing figured out... I am stumped as how to fix it....

(sorry to go OT)

Not sure what that is either, but its harmless so, no worries.:D

Neomega said:

(sorry to go OT)

You need to have either of the following in the XML:

Code:
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Marine.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,3,7</Button>

<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Marine.dds</Button>

But not:

Code:
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Marine.dds</Button>

Note the comma. With that comma there, it's looking for a list of icons, one for the build, one for the bubble. If there are no commas, it'll use the same icon for both

Code:
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Marine.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,3,7</Button>

But not:

Code:

Note the comma. With that comma there, it's looking for a list of icons, one for the build, one for the bubble. If there are no commas, it'll use the same icon for both

O.... M... G..... Deja... You do not know how many more hours of my life you just saved me. I kept thinking I was doing the transparencies wrong... OMG I have done so many different settings....

...but you are correct, I did leave a little comma there. Oh man.... I'll just say thank you and a thousand blessing upon your household and family name. :p I would have never guessed in a million years.

Déja said:

Code:

But not:

Code:

Good looking out Deja, yes that solved the problem right away:D

Something else I noticed upon further testing. The first dirty bomb if doesn't seem to work. All subsuquents work though, strange:confused:

Awesome unit!

Question does using this unit get the same negative effects assoiciated with using a nuclear weapon, as this would allievate the possible unbalance percieved with its stregnth and make it more realistic.

CIVPhilzilla said:
Question does using this unit get the same negative effects assoiciated with using a nuclear weapon, as this would allievate the possible unbalance percieved with its stregnth and make it more realistic.

No its more like the Assassin unit that Roger Bacon made. The reality of a unit like this from my perspective is its a sneak unit. If the terrorist don't claim credit, then the victim is left wondering, just like IRL.

As you see this is a personal mod that I did not release to the public. I prefer sharing ideas with others vs justifying units I like to the greater populous like you have to do here when you are nice enough to release a mod for the public:rolleyes:

Top Bottom