Impassable Volcanoes question

Keraunos

Chieftain
Small question - I'd like to change volcanos into impassable terrain (some mountain ranges like Alpes and Tibet) with small "passes". I see there is such an option it the editor, but I want to get rid of volcano explosion.

I assume it's scenario propertities\Disasters\Volacos max eruption period?

Should I make it 100 or 100.000? Is it possible to eliminate such an option? Or add your own terrain?

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
"Volcano Eruptions (Disasters)
Each volcano on the map will erupt at least once within the indicated eruption period (shown in years)."

I'd guess if its 0 it should not ocurr?

It cannot be given 0, min is 100 :(
And won't it increase frequency? I know I can test it but I ask becouse it can save me some work ;)

Weasel Op said:
Try setting it to 999999999999999999999999999999999999999
There doesnt seem to be an upper limit.

There is. I've checked it, the game doesn't allow to put more then 100.000 :(

EDIT: I use 1.22 Conquest

Weasel Op said:
So do I, and I entered 50 digits....
But even if you can't go above 100,000 there is only about a 1/200 chance of any given volcano erupting over the course of the game.

I know it may sound dumb, but did you save it? I can enter it, but when I try to save it says I should put 100-100000 in it.

So higher the number, the less probable that it's gonna erupt? Can you give exact number?

I think I'll use volcanos anyway. Low probability=lava as snow :D

TLC- I thought there was too, but it's just for plagues.
Keraunos said:
I know it may sound dumb, but did you save it? I can enter it, but when I try to save it says I should put 100-100000 in it.
No, that was it. I must have erased the number before I closed the window.

So higher the number, the less probable that it's gonna erupt? Can you give exact number?
Right. The number is the maximum number of turns between eruptions. So if you set it to 500, the volcano will erupt at least once every 500 turns.

I think I'll use volcanos anyway. Low probability=lava as snow :D
That's a good idea.

Weasel Op said:
TLC- I thought there was too, but it's just for plagues.

No, that was it. I must have erased the number before I closed the window.

Right. The number is the maximum number of turns between eruptions. So if you set it to 500, the volcano will erupt at least once every 500 turns.

That's a good idea.

Thank's a lot :goodjob:

Another thing:

It's the probability in years that it will erupt.

So, just simply make it in weeks, and it will be impossibly rare that it will erupt.

But, since it sounds like it is going to be an epic scenario or something, then you can just leave it in years, but have to deal with the possible "explosion" from the mountains.

Just change the txt and make it say:

"Mountain is seeing increased angry mob activity"
"Mountain and surrounding areas have been over run by angry mobs! Garbage is everywhere!"

Or something.

Keraunos, I like your idea to transform the volcanoes to passes in the mountains a lot (Mountains completely impassable, pass / ex-volcanoe impassable to wheeled units). So there is no more need to flag foot units "wheeled". The idea to replace lava with snow is marvellous, too.

It´s a pity that there didn´t come good graphics to realise these ideas.
As I ´m not talented with graphics I did the following:

I took the attack and the run flc from the "monsoon unit" that is included in the scenario "Defeat into Victory SE ASIA 1941-1945" made by Len Morison, and replaced the original "smolder" and "eruption" flcs with these graphics. The result is a big Thunderstorm in the mountains (may be a little bit to big).

I attache the files. If you replace the smolder and the eruption file in the art\animations folder, please don´t forget to make a backup with your original files.

Attachments

• Smolder.zip
    34.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Eruption.zip
    85.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Thunderstorm.jpg
    Thunderstorm.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 846
Civinator said:
Keraunos, I like your idea to transform the volcanoes to passes in the mountains a lot (Mountains completely impassable, pass / ex-volcanoe impassable to wheeled units). So there is no more need to flag foot units "wheeled". The idea to replace lava with snow is marvellous, too.

It´s a pity that there didn´t come good graphics to realise these ideas.
As I ´m not talented with graphics I did the following:

I took the attack and the run flc from the "monsoon unit" that is included in the scenario "Defeat into Victory SE ASIA 1941-1945" made by Len Morison, and replaced the original "smolder" and "eruption" flcs with these graphics. The result is a big Thunderstorm in the mountains (may be a little bit to big).

I attache the files. If you replace the smolder and the eruption file in the art\animations folder, please don´t forget to make a backup with your original files.

Cool, thanks a lot, I'll probably use it, but now I'm focusing on other things :) Use the idea yourself :)

BTW, it's best for ancient to napoleonic era - many nearly impassable mountain ranges. And volcanoes are very good, but impassable terrain is more important, IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback!

Top Bottom