Vatican Excommunicates new Chinese bishops

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
BBC News said:
Pope Benedict XVI expressed his "deep displeasure" over the appointments.

The rift comes as Beijing and the Vatican are engaged in talks with the aim of re-establishing relations, which were severed more than 50 years ago.

Excommunication is automatic under Church law for bishops who are illegally ordained, says the BBC's David Willey in Rome.

The Vatican also said it had received information that bishops had come under "strong pressure and threats" to take part in the ordinations.

If that was proved, the excommunications could be suspended, our correspondent says.

There are an estimated 10 million Catholics in China, divided between the officially tolerated Patriotic Church, and an underground church loyal to Rome.

The Chinese Church does not recognise the Vatican's power to appoint bishops, causing tensions between the two sides.

'Threats'

On Wednesday, Liu Xinhong was consecrated at a church in Anhui province in eastern China, while on Sunday the state church ordained Ma Yinglin as a bishop in the south-western province of Yunnan.

A statement released by the Vatican said the ordinations represented a "grave violation of religious freedom... a grave wound to the unity of the Church" and warned of "severe canonical sanctions".

The statement was unusually strong in tone, says our correspondent, and makes it clear that the Vatican, while open to what it calls "honest and constructive dialogue", will not tolerate unilateral acts by the Chinese Church.

Asked to comment on the statement, China's foreign ministry told Reuters news agency:

"The Vatican's condemnation makes no sense. We hold a sincere attitude towards improving Sino-Vatican relations and have made active efforts. We hope the Vatican side can support a good environment for improvement of the relationship."

Third ordination

China is planning to ordain an auxiliary bishop later this month, a senior official of the state-sanctioned church told the AFP news agency.

Pei Junmin would be ordained later this month as auxiliary bishop of the diocese in the north-east province of Liaoning, said Liu Bainian, vice-chairman of the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association.

Secret talks have been taking place in recent months between envoys from both sides.

China has said it would like better relations with the Vatican, but wants the Holy See to cut its diplomatic links with Taiwan first.

Diplomatic ties were severed in 1951 after the 1949 Communist takeover in China and subsequent crackdown on religion.
Source Article]

Somehow there are still parts of the world that dont have Freedom of Religion and would rather have state controled churches.

Discuss.

What's to discuss? The Vatican won't accept bishops it didn't have a hand in ordaining, and China doesn't recognize the authority of the Vatican.

BTW, broken link at the bottom of the quote. You're missing [/url before the last ].

Here it is: Source Article

It's sad that China's government has the same line here as for anything else: we'd like to not have problems like this, but the Vatican shouldn't talk to Taiwan, and then it'd be all okay.

Haven't heard of too many excommunications recently...

article said:
The Chinese Church does not recognise the Vatican's power to appoint bishops, causing tensions between the two sides.
Investiture Controversy all over again! I shall follow this closely....

Erik Mesoy said:
BTW, broken link at the bottom of the quote. You're missing [/url before the last ].
Blame it on the constant habit of always quoting people in OT :p.

The pope has been assassinated!All his excommunications and crusades are now considered null and void.A new pope has been elected....

Erik Mesoy said:
What's to discuss? The Vatican won't accept bishops it didn't have a hand in ordaining, and China doesn't recognize the authority of the Vatican.

Here it is: Source Article

Then the Chinese should do what the Protestants did and declare themselves a different church then the Catholic one. But to continue to claim you're Catholic means you have to follow the 2000 year old system run by the Pope.

Oerdin said:
Then the Chinese should do what the Protestants did and declare themselves a different church then the Catholic one. But to continue to claim you're Catholic means you have to follow the 2000 year old system run by the Pope.
My thoughts exactly. As long as their establishment claims to be Catholic, they'd bloody well better obey the word of Rome. And if they fail to schism on their own, B-16 should just toss out the whole heritical 'lot of them.

Actually, it will be better if they decided to outlaw catholics all together, but alas its a religons that is 2000 yrs with deep root and will be hard to eradicate. Agreed that the catholics in china should try be like the protestant instead and not decided to listen to someone who takes "instruction" from his "god". So who shall we listen to? The guy or the god?

Sadly, there will still be many who wanted to believe in catholism, It will be hard to remove their faith and better than letting them to be in underground. A "fake" Bishop was appointed instead.

As an atheist government, the CPC is trying to be "moderate" with many bad results.

Its really up the the belief of the people, the chinese CPC to determine what they want.

Ramius75 said:
Actually, it will be better if they decided to outlaw catholics all together, but alas its a religons that is 2000 yrs with deep root and will be hard to eradicate. Agreed that the catholics in china should try be like the protestant instead and not decided to listen to someone who takes "instruction" from his "god". So who shall we listen to? The guy or the god?

Sadly, there will still be many who wanted to believe in catholism, It will be hard to remove their faith and better than letting them to be in underground. A "fake" Bishop was appointed instead.

As an atheist government, the CPC is trying to be "moderate" with many bad results.

Its really up the the belief of the people, the chinese CPC to determine what they want.

I would not say the CCP is the voice of the people. Remember Tianmen Square? They're COMMIES! :rolleyes:

i'm not entirely sure why the chinese government cares. 10 million people isn't even 1% of their population and when you factor in that probably not all of them are devout practicing catholics the numbers become even smaller.

aussieboy said:
I would not say the CCP is the voice of the people. Remember Tianmen Square? They're COMMIES! :rolleyes:

of coz, i wont say that the CCP has 100% support in the nation. There are a fair among of dissdent in the country alone. Many were surpressed.

What they are trying now is to give 5cents for every Dollar the people asked for. Even in a democracy, there isnt a way to satisfy 100% of the population.

The Chinese State should crack down on these Cathloics and oter religous practices with exception to philosopipes.
Religous practices have no place in an atheist state.

Unfortunately, caught in the middle between the Chinese government and the Vatican are the ten million Chinese Catholics. They're the real losers in this political zero sum game.

The Chinese state has always cracked down on religious organizations. Nothing new there. Religious hierarchies are seen as challengers to imperial state power.

Way back during the Tang (1000+ years ago), the Empire had cracked down on the Buddhists hard, who were taking away too much land from the tax rolls (due to donations) and had too many ordained monks.

One reason why there was never anything like the Catholic Papacy in Chinese history.

silver 2039 said:
The Chinese State should crack down on these Cathloics and oter religous practices with exception to philosopipes.
Religous practices have no place in an atheist state.
I'll link to this post the next time I need an argument in favour of theism.

Yes China's history has been dogged by revolution, sometimes aided by the religious class. They haven't found a way to neutralise the chaotic power of religion, but unlike the Arabians etc. they choose to minimise the power of religion rather than succumbing to it. They allow people to practice but prevent them from causing trouble. Does that really sound like a bad idea to you?

BTW Tianamen square wasn't a pro-democracy demo. Many of the people there were committed communists who wanted an end to corruption.

I thought this arrangement of Beijing is an insult to an atheist like me who values freedom of religion high. Although Chinese conservatives will argue that many uprising in China were inspired by religion, I would spit on the face of "stable regime" for its cruelty and possible crisis underflow of heavy oppression.

Edit: I was just inspired by some lights. Who the hell thinks a bishop assigned by Vatican is better than one by Beijing? Both are against the will of Catholic Christians without a vote!

China vs the Vatican - talk about your irresistable forces vs immovable objects...

plarq said:
Edit: I was just inspired by some lights. Who the hell thinks a bishop assigned by Vatican is better than one by Beijing? Both are against the will of Catholic Christians without a vote!
I'm not sure cause I am neither Catholic nor Christian, but aren't bishops are elected by the chapter and then receive papal confirmation before gaining post? If they aren't elected then confirmed, it is investiture which is a big no-no.

Anyway, good for the Vatican.

Top Bottom