Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

In my last game Saladin was a jew. So much for religious messages from a game. Great song and thanks for the fish. Oops I meant lyrics.

Robo Magic Man said:
Yeah, I recently changed the song for a mod. It's really easy. Just go into C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack, rename your song of choice as OpeningMenu, and replace the mp3. However, I'd suggest saving the old mp3 just in case :).

Ah yess, i thought the music was hardcoded. I guess i've heard at least one theme from EU2 , too. Now "Falalalan" and friends may complete the set.:cool:

Colonel Kraken said:
I love that opening song of Lion King too. Does anyone know an album or someplace I can get more music like that and the opening song on Civ IV? I did a search on Amazon, but there are SO many different types of African music, it would take me days upon days to wade through it all.

Thanks.

Try Pure Moods volume 1 & 2.

Sometimes I replace the OpeningMusic with UN.mp3. (Making a copy of UN and renaming it to OpeningMusic, so I don't lose the UN theme) Try it once, it changes your perspective of the game - and your mood. No matter what, when I civ, I go for conquest/domination. The opening music reminds me of online services that are proud of their latest innovation.

UN.mp3, OTOH, since it's the C3C "Greco-Roman.mp3" sped up with effect added, it sounds like battle music. Exactly what I like. :evil:

WOW!!! The opening song is one of the best music for anything I've not only played but also seen on t.v.! Thanks for the lyrics and effort.

Cobus J van Wyk said:
WOW!!! The opening song is one of the best music for anything I've not only played but also seen on t.v.! Thanks for the lyrics and effort.

Good Lord Cobus, what a bumb!:bump:

Good job!

My comments, as a Swahili speaker:

Most of the words are correct, but the phrasing and sentences are mixed up.

Here's the way the whole sentences go together, along with their meaning:

Utupe leo chakula chetu tunachohitaji.
(Give us today our food according to our need - the sense is, we're not asking for any extra)
Utusamehe makosa yetu, hey!
(Forgive us our errors...)
Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe waliotukosea.
(..as we forgive those who err against us.)
Usitutie Katika majaribu,
(Do not place us in trials..)
Lakini utuokoe, na yule, milele na milele!
(But save us from that guy....forever and ever! A bunch of the original prayer is simply left out here, where the dots are. The guy referred to is "the evil one", and the phrase "the kingdom is yours, and the power, and the glory.." is missing.)

CHORUS

Ufalme wako ufike.
(Your Kingdom come.)
Utakalo lifanyike duniani kama mbinguni. Amina.
(Your will be done on earth as in heaven. Amen)

And finally, I think the words "simama mwehu" can't be right. It makes no sense in context. Those words would be a command to "stand up", addressed to an insane person. But as to what else they might be saying here, I have no suggestions to make. I wonder if we could find a way to simply ask the composer what he meant?

CivFan91 said:
If you were Christian and they chose an Islamic song, would you be equally offended?

Likewise, did you enjoy the song before you knew what the lyrics were?

If you answer yes to either question, my advice would be "don't worry about it". Just enjoy the game.

I thought the song was 'nice', but I certainly didn't hesitate to click on "play now." And yes, I would be offended if the "tables were turned." What about you? What would you think if the song was in english and praising Osama Bin Laden? Would you still appreciate it for its 'tune'? :rolleyes:

pvzh said:
Good thing that there are Music Off and NoIntro switches. Cannot think of more inapropriate music for CIVILIZATION, which is LATIN word in the first place. Civilization is roads, aqueducts, literature, legions, etc. -- the Empire whereas this music convey an image of savages singing in the jungle/savannah. It is not "Tarzan".

Moderator Action: Certain parts of this statement are clearly trolls. You can criticize all you want, but do it in a constructive way. Warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Ahhh - you mean the kind of song and dance your ancestors engaged in? Aqueducts, literature, and legions were not always around. In fact, all real civs had music and song before hey had all those others things.

And please, turn you music off and move on.

Sheesh.:confused:

When you say "released" is it downloadable? The link only allows the song to play, not to save.

For the record I love the music. :goodjob:

If the game is installed on your PC, go to the following folder (assuming you installed to default):

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Mier's Civilization 4\Assets\Sound\Soundtrack\

Openingmenu.mp3 is the one you want. :D

EDIT: Or, just right-click on the link and click "Save target as" or the equivalent in your broswer. ;)

CivFan91 said:
No, of course not. But it isn't, is it?

Then you retract your earlier statement?
CivFan91 said:
If you were Christian and they chose an Islamic song, would you be equally offended?

I'm so glad you 'saw the light' and realized your previous argument was flawed. I don't think it is unrealistic to say that the contents of a song/lyric are also important to the enjoyment/dislike of a song. You said so yourself...
CivFan91 said:
Those lyrics make me love that song even more.

So why is it that the lyric is able to empower the song to you, but suddenly you say the lyric can not be used in the opposite way... to make someone dislike the song? You argument is again... flawed.

OK, perhaps the recent heat wave caused a brain short, because I don't remember that last post. Anyhow, my point is thus:

1. I like the song more because of the lyrics as personal preference due to my religious following.

2. I don't think someone should dislike the song simply because of their Christian lyrics, simply because I dislike prejudice. The song is a song, and it cane be enjoyed because of its tune at the least.

3. However, if you don't like the song then I have no problem with that.

4. That having been said, publicly showing dislike for a song just because of the Christian lyrics is distasteful, because it tends to show a prejudice toward Christians. Whether this is true or not is irrelevant; if you make it sound like you despise Christians, then you are viewed as distasteful. (As an aside, I may not agree 100% with the, say, Muslim doctrine, but that doesn't mean I hate all Muslims)

EDIT: Sorry, on this point I confused you with another poster on page 1. Sorry for the confusion.

Now that that is cleared up (I hope), on to your counter-point. The reason I would despise the song if it praised Usama bin Laden rather than Jesus is because not of religious beliefs (though personally this plays a part); I have a secular reason. Jesus' doctrine is ultimately peace, whereas Usama's hands are stained with innocent blood. Nobody who truly believes in my faith has ever killed anyone for the Cause. Usama has simply because we are not strictly a Muslim country.

In reality, it is your own logic that is flawed, but I'm guessing this is because I was not perfectly clear on my stand. I say that if you don't like the song, then fine, don't play it. But don't blast me if I like it.

CivFan91 said:
1. I like the song more because of the lyrics as personal preference due to my religious following.

2. I don't think someone should dislike the song simply because of their Christian lyrics, simply because I dislike prejudice. The song is a song, and it cane be enjoyed because of its tune at the least.

What type of hypocritical double standard is that??? You like it because of your religious beleifs as a personal preference. Others dont like it because of their beleifs and it is prejudice.

Wow! That might be the most rediculous double standard I have ever seen uttered!!! Give me a break. Those two cases are exactly the same. Either they are both personal preferences, or they are both prejudice. Pick whichever you prefer, but you can NOT have it both ways!!!

Top Bottom