Real Persian Immortal

Houman

TR Team Leader
It is at this stage impossible to model a real Persian Immortal without the SDK: that would look like this:

But I tried my best to pick an existing model that looks a bit similar.

At right you see the Incan Quechua for reference and at left you see the Immortal Unit. The weapon should have been a spear of course, but this is not possible without the SDK. But the shield looks real.

I also have replaced the sun in the helmet by a small eagle. Unfortunately there are some grey shades around the eagle due the model that is made for a sun.

The unit is also not naked anymore and wears a sort of studded leather tunica. The Unit wears a black beard and different type of earrings. The Shield shows the Persian Flag from Cyrus; a golden eagle on a white background.

This is my first time skinning, I would appreciate any comment.

I will post the finished unit after the comments, maybe there is need for improvement. Thank you

Regards
Houman

I think they looks good! As you say a spear is needed and the shape of the shield should be changed, it would be really nice unit when SDK comes out, any ETA on that one?

hi, for a first skinning atempt its really nice!
But i could think of the skirmisher model being more appropriate for the persion imortal, isnt it ?!

Thanks guys. :) Indeed it took a day to finish and another one to polish the skins. My screenshot is too far away to see the details. I ll post another one tomorrow.

@Drogear
What is ETA?

@seZereth
Do you mean the Mali skirmisher?
Maybe I should have a look on it...

Thanks
Houman

Gyathaar said:
I really dont think the SDK will help you making unit graphics in any way...
Why you gotta be such a downer? :sad: Until the SDK comes out I'm going to maintain my hope that it will provide not only the source code but all (or most of) the tools that Firaxis used to create the game, as well as the documentation. :D

As for the model, there might be a way to replace the shield and the weapon with the proper version without remodelling the whole unit. I'll give a quick rundown of the process, though I won't be doing it myself, if you have more questions or want more detailed info/help send me a PM.

First download the 3DS Max plugin. It comes with a NIF viewer that not only views the files but can also modify them a bit, in particular it can modify the structure and some properties of the components (you might need to download a dll to make it work, just google its name).

Using this viewer open the Quechua unit (you might need to copy the boundshape files that come in the zip into the unit's folder). You will see that the spear and the shield are separate meshes.

This means that you can create them in 3dsmax, export and then "merge" them into the nif. The catch here is to create them in such way that when you merge them in they are properly positioned.

To actually merge them in, as it were, you need to open both files in the NIF viewer (there is an "add file" button, looks like open button with a little plus sign), find the mesh for your spear/shield and drag it into the location of the original spear/shield, and remove the originals of course.

I've done similar things with my plane models, it's definitely possible, it's just not very pleasant work ;) and relies heavily on trial & error.

@Gyathaar

I am 100% sure, they will provide it. If they don't you won't be able to make proper Units like in good old CIV2 times. That what we are doing here is going through the backdoor. This is not meant to be like this.

@Thanks Rabbit,

I would appreciate any tips you could provide me. :) I have to download first the dlls you said. I will be bothering you soon with questions. hehe

Thanks
Houman

Gyathaar said:
I really dont think the SDK will help you making unit graphics in any way...
I agree. Well... partially. They already released the tools to make new units with animations. But there are some things missing: more extensive documentation (read "for noobs"), .nif imporer and more user friendly interface.
One more thing but I doubt they'll do it. Release plugin for other more afordable 3D software.

sharick said:
I agree. Well... partially. They already released the tools to make new units with animations. But there are some things missing: more extensive documentation (read "for noobs"), .nif imporer and more user friendly interface.
One more thing but I doubt they'll do it. Release plugin for other more afordable 3D software.

3d modeling is like pogramming, its gonna take time and effort to get your skills up to the point where you can make anythin of quality. As such I doubt its possible to make a "for noobs" guild.

That said if there is some aspect that you think the docs don't cover please post about it in the thread that links the docs.

And yeah, I think 3dsmax is their tool of choice. But the folks over at niftools are doing some cool work, so Im hoping that having plugins for a common system will speed the rollout to other formats.

Kael said:
And yeah, I think 3dsmax is their tool of choice. But the folks over at niftools are doing some cool work, so Im hoping that having plugins for a common system will speed the rollout to other formats.
They should release the exporter's code with the SDK, and maybe some limited code for the NIF viewer, that should make it easier to create an importer.

Also, Houman, I have some ideas about making a not-only-reskinned Real Persian Immortal(tm) ;) unit. Might have something next weekend.

Rabbit said:
I have some ideas about making a not-only-reskinned Real Persian Immortal
I think I know what you are trying to do. This is going to be a good one. :)

Based on the discussion in this thread I tried to make a different version of Persian Immortal, although I used Mali Skirmisher as my basis, instead of Inca Quechua. While still not really close to what a real immortal suppose to be I think this unit can definitely be used for something. :)

Don't forget that you need to use skirmisher's animations.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Attachments

• persian_immortal.zip
    69.2 KB · Views: 281
Lol, now that you mention it I can see it, though you gotta really look for it and it's not really noticable when viewing from regular camera distance. :)

God bless you Rabbit!!!! Thank you sooo much! And so short before the Realism: Third Resurrection going gold!!!! Yuhuuuu You made my day, I don't feel the pain of my Tonsillitis anymore...:goodjob:

Just one suggestions, but only if its possible. I had a look on the stuff though and I know we are very limited in modeling. Would it be possible to remove the turban shape and give his hat the straight shape like in the picture?

Thank you again so much. I was going to get back to you anyway, after releasing the Mod. I never expected it coming already for this version. yeah..:king:

Cheers mate
Houman

Well, now that Chalid provided us with a means to replace heads I was able to create a better version of the Persian Immortal.

I also added a beard, fixed the shield to have a real backside and I replaced the quiver of spears with a bow. The unit doesn't use the bow but it implies that these were both melee and ranged fighters (of course the attack is still spear throwing but I think considering the limitations it's the best compromise). In any case, enjoy. :)

Attachments

• real_immortal.zip
    98.8 KB · Views: 992
really nice job Rabbit ! Thanks.

Oh my god, this is one of the most amazing units I ve seen so far. It looks fantastic. :goodjob:

May I only give you two suggestions if doable?

The immortals were only 10.000 and belonged to a very rich class within the society. They were the only ones that had always additionally the Akinakes (short sword) as a side arm. Fortunately this model has already a short sword as a side arm. A few originals have survived until today:

The sword had a short, straight, double-edged iron blade, 34-45 cm (14-18") in length.

What I imply is changing the color of the side arm from violet to gold would be actually quite appropriate.

The second thing I would recommend is the following:
The immortals had some sort of round apple at the end of their spears to counter-balance the spear in combat. Nowadays some military experts call them also 'Apple-bearers'

Do you think you might be able to put a round metal apple thingy at the end of their spears? :D

Many thanks Rabbit,
Houmie

Top Bottom