LINESII- Into the Darkness

Iggeeeeey!

EDIT: X-post, kinda. Anyway, good. Wonderful. Will stay up to read it before I hit the sack. An hour, perhaps? :)

My money's on thlayli :D

or the anti-Veritasian Coalition :mischief:

*follows suit*

Our Iggy who art in Canada, hallowed be thy Name, deliver us the update...

jalapeno_dude said:
hallowed be thy Name,

Im waiting in my cold cell when the bell begins to chime
Reflecting on my past life and it doesnt have much time
Cos at 5 oclock they take me to the gallows pole
The sands of time for me are running low

When the priest comes to read me the last rites
I take a look through the bars at the last sights
Of a world that has gone very wrong for me

Can it be theres some sort of error
Hard to stop the surmounting terror
Is it really the end not some crazy dream

Somebody please tell me that Im dreaming
Its not so easy to stop from screaming
But words escape me when I try to speak
Tears they flow but why am I crying
After all I am not afraid of dying
Dont believe that there is never an end

As the guards march me out to the courtyard
Someone calls from a cell God be with you
If theres a God then why has he let me die?

As I walk all my life drifts before me
And though the end is near Im not sorry
Catch my soul cos its willing to fly away

Mark my words please believe my soul lives on
Please dont worry now that I have gone
Ive gone beyond to see the truth

When you know that your time is close at hand
Maybe then youll begin to understand
Life down there is just a strange illusion

-Iron Maiden

There ya go iggy

Yeee-haa!!

Okay, just have to add the nation names...

Pity SS went to sleep.

Thought this was it didn't you?

Lord_Iggy said:
Okay, just have to add the nation names...

Pity SS went to sleep.

Thought this was it didn't you?
AHHH!!!!!! You tricked me, I was so happy, now I'm sad:(

Can adding the nation names really take this long?

Update 14- Years 1075-1100: Broken Hammer

The Penguins interest had been piqued. That was several time disturbances they had now detected. It was time to investigate.

Upon arriving in the LINESII dimension, the penguins discovered the source of the disturbances. The Alexandrine Pandas had teleported their leader from the NES2 VI dimension into this one, to be a new ruler for their nation.

Angered by this breach of the Unwitting Human Intervention Treaty, the Penguinskan battlefleet opened fire. Pandas returned a volley, then spread through the solar system, fighting several skirmishes. After some inconclusive combat, a ceasefire was called and damage assessed. The Pandas time and space manipulations had twisted the timeflow of the Ikki, a race who had technically not formed yet, and had them appear several decades before they actually existed. The two forces called in Polarbear althistorians, who conveniently rewrote the course of the area’s history and made a few convenient mindwipes on the affected humans to settle the situation. The three groups, though often at odds, could celebrate their containment of the situation, which had been stopped before it had caused a possibly cataclysmic time-shift, possibly rewriting or deleting the dimension. The celebration got out of the hand after the polar bears brought out their beer, and several inebriated crews went on joyrides into the lower atmosphere.

Fortunately, the only witnesses were a redneck farmer from Kalmeria who no one trusted anyway and a couple of Ikki children, who believed that the flying objects were Neo-Animistic spirits.

Oh, you want the real update? You don’t believe in that? I mean, yes, you should keep on believing that… :mischief:

In a distant land, further than most people of the cradle could comprehend, a civilization has risen. Like Guangfei, it is developing a completely unique culture. But the Trinlin, as they call themselves, had no civilized neighbours, so no influences at all in their development. But now they are fully-developed, and possess several well formed cities. Their trading tradition has spread the idea of civilization, and the tribes surrounding Trinlin’s hilly homeland are beginning to develop.
(+Avlain Economic Center)

Across the mountains from Croyodon, the nation of Skilv’so has formed around their fortress-capital of Ivorykeep. Under the skilled leadership of Chancellor Dhavos, the nearby lands were incorporated into the nation of Skilv’so.

Croyodon has expanded further up the River Croy, up to the valley that is its source. Intensive farming on the somewhat dry lands of Croyodon is hard on the soil, but the growing population needs the food.

A proposed treaty between Skilv’so and Croyodon suggests that a border be drawn between them along the highest peaks of the mountain range that separates them, preventing possible future border disputes.

The Nurmaferi exodus continues. Princess Aranel, firstborn daughter of Anarion Ororucin, has succeeded her father and quickly made her mark on the country. Her first action was the creation of the Sentinel militia. One boy from each family, at age 18 will be subjected to a year of training, and become part of the army of Nurmafer if needed. This action, while it may have been seen as harsh before the invasion by Khemri, is now widely accepted.

All of old Nurmafer has been abandoned save for a thin strip on the coastline. The people of Nurmafer are now migrating en masse to the southwest. The city of Anarafar has been heavily fortified, an imposing obstacle should anyone attempt to destroy Nurmafer again.

Guangfei has been growing rapidly. As the population became larger, sons who didn’t inherit their family’s farmland were forced to move outwards towards the frontiers. By this method, Guangfei has expanded to encompass yet more lands.

After the death by old age of Liu Bang, his son rose to the throne and declared himself Emperor Han, second emperor of Guangfei. He followed a policy of almost aggressive goodwill towards the surrounding barbarians and city states. Relations are doing very well, and some minor states have joined Guangfei.

An expedition was sent over the eastern mountains, and the explorers discovered a vast sea, stretching out beyond sight.

Something of a conflict has arisen to the south. The state of Shangei, who have always been a fiercely independent people, believed that the Guangfei giftgiving was a prelude to a takeover, united with several similarly thinking groups to form the Shangei league. The league has declared that it has no ill intentions towards Guangfei, just that it does not want to be ruled by a foreign emperor.

After unwittingly having their entire timestream repaired, the Ikki continue on as everyone else thinks they had been before. Gyoja continues his expansions through the mountains, allying with more monasteries through the mountains.

The religion of Neo-Animism has formed in the monasteries of Ikki. It is quite similar to the myriad other forms of animism, but oriented towards mankind’s quest for enlightenment and the support of the common people rather than the powerful.

New Eldism has also begun to gain a following in Ikki. It and Neo-Animism seem to be quite capable of mixing and being practiced side by side.

Unfortunately for the people of the Citadel, this was not the case with their neighbours to the east. The Gamorrean clans were infuriated when the Citadelers retracted their offer of teaching them the secrets of Bronze. They began attacking the eastern frontiers of the Citadel, slashing and burning farmlands but not staying around for long enough to fight the Citadel defenders. But there has been little serious attention from Gamorrea yet, fortunately for the pacifist defenders. They attempted to force a captured blacksmith to teach them how to make bronze, but he refused to let it be used by the wild and violent, so he was killed.
(-1 economy point of the Citadel of Knowledge next turn)

But even these attacks were nowhere near the full strength of Gamorrea’s army. The attentions of Thula Zam were firmly set on Malkavia.

Two Gamorrean forces harassed the borders of Malkavia, one in the north and one in the south. Small villages were regularly raided, food, goods, and occasionally attractive young ladies were carried off by the Gamorreans.

But throughout all of this, there were hardly any military casualties. A few Gamorreans died when their horses fell into spiked Malkavian anti-cavalry traps. Malkavian citizens suffered greatly, but were seldom killed. And the Citadelers have mostly hidden in their fortified cities at the sight of Gamorreans.

But it cannot be argued that Gamorrea is currently winning this conflict. It is damaging the economies of both of its rivals, while suffering barely any losses itself due to its well thought out and cautious tactics.

Despite the Gamorrean problem, the Citadel is still doing well. The newly commissioned Citadel Guards have created a powerful defense for the fortified cities of the Citadel of Knowledge. Naval expeditions have discovered frigid lands far to the north, where the water itself is unchanging and solid. To the south, they have mapped all of the coasts down to the land of Emor.

The Letter-Writer, current leader of the Citadel, has been sending countless messages southwards into the ‘civilized’ but wartorn nations involved in the countless wars there. He is forging the peace movements in these countries into an organized force. In republican nations such as Davar and Veritas, this organized group could become a dangerous problem should the war continue much longer.

Maugot has continued its expansion and extended its influence over the barbarians. But they have noticed the effects of another power in these people. It seems that somewhere unknown, a strong power is at work. Is this the constant civilizing efforts of the Citadel of Knowledge, or something altogether different? The words of the tribes on the frontier of Maugot’s knowledge say one frightened word: Lengels.

The Emorans have managed to retake the city of Damas from Myocaca. The city was surprisingly lightly defended. The war, from that point on, degraded to minor skirmish warfare. Little land has changed hands.

Some Oneists from occupied Emor have managed to escape over the border into free Emor. Those who remain are agitating against their occupiers, Swade and Myocacan soldiers in the area have been killed.

Both the Swade Ascendancy and Myocaca have attempted to expand to the south and west. But this has proven to be futile. The lands there are so far away from any cities that they are impossible to administrate at this time.

Myocaca levied a large number of men in case of a Veritasian invasion. But it never came.

Kehexou has begun to reconcile its differences with Khemri. Deras Mayanas has declared his nation to be officially neutral, although there are significant groups in his nation supporting Veritas, and this move has cost him some of his popularity.
(-Kehex Confidence)

Davar has initiated several agricultural reforms. While it has been popular with the masses, the rich are angered by the fact that their government took their land and doled it out, without compensation.

Explorations by Davarian sailors are traveling far out to sea, but no land has been discovered. Storms have damaged their lightly built sloops.
(-2 Davarian Sloops)

A large Davarian force marched over the Keran range. Their destination: Gerber.

The Gerbers, the Davarians reasoned, would be busy with Tristaria and possibly Veritas. So Davar would attack them from over the mountains where they least expected it.

But they had not expected the unpleasant welcome of the people living high in the Keran Range. They fought the Davarian troops, who were inexperienced in mountain warfare. Fortunately, the barbarians numbers were low. After defeating the barbarian army, Davar promised that they meant no ill to the people, and just wished for passage. Several tribes, as was their custom, joined the vanquisher of their armies and joined Davar.
(-2000 Davarian Guardsmen)

So after several missteps, the slightly weakened army of Davar arrived in the lands of the Gerbers. They quickly met up with Tristarian forces at Eldragos. The combined forces pushed the Gerbers off of the eastern bank of the Kalmar River.

They then focused on pushing the Gerbers out of Tristaria. Cecil the Thirtieth, now an old and man, had sent 4000 men to besiege the capital city of Trinitra. But the defenders were more numerous, and the arrival of the northern army of Davar and Tristaria sealed the fate of the Gerber army. It was crushed outside the gates of Trinitra, and the Gerbers were forced out of Tristaria. Now, the Gerbers are forced onto the defensive, a position they have no experience at fighting in.
(-3000 Gerber Legions, -1000 Gerber Spearmen, -1000 Davarian Guardsmen, -4000 Tristarian Spearmen)

Meanwhile in Veritas, the Zibonese Rebellion was faltering. The Veritasian Urban Militia had been activated, lucrative promises of equality were made to all of the non-Valins of Veritas. The rebellion became divided between those who had gone as far as to adopt the old religion of Zorastism and swore never to surrender until they had won independence, and moderates who liked Veritas’ offers, even if they doubted the honesty.

In the hearts of the rebellion itself, pro-Veritasian forces comprised of a few Zibonese who disagreed with the rebellion and Valins living in Tellium and Lux (Zarz and Zang) began to fight against the rebels. As these forces distracted, the greater power of Veritas began to descend on the rebels.

Two massive siege towers were moved to the gates of the cities, and broke through. The Urban Militia of Veritas and groups of elite Phoenix Archers fought fierce battles in the cities with the Zibonese rebels. After several days of nonstop street fighting, and even more days for the counter-revolutionary forces who had been fighting in the cities before, the Zibonese rebels were defeated. The extremists had fought to the death, and many moderates had surrendered.

Amnesty was granted to the Zibonese who had been involved, and Veritas’ promises were fulfilled. The Zibonese, while they had not won independence, had won equality. The moderates would later declare their actions to be a success.
(-2500 Veritasian Urban Militia, -500 Phoenix Archers, -Zibonese Rebels)

Soon after the rebellion ended, the city of Veritas’ restoration was completed. Its lighthouse was lit, and the fact that Veritas was still the light of the world in these troubled times was confirmed.
(+Veritasian Confidence)

The Gorinese have successfully discovered how to work another type of metal, Iron. Unfortunately, it is worse in many ways than Bronze, so it has not come to be used in the military. However, several Gorinese metalworkers suggest that it could be strengthened by alloying it, like bronze.

After becoming the new capital of Shalamari, the city of Shard has become a second center of Shaal culture.
(+Shard Cultural Center)

Khemri has occupied the lands of former Nurmafer with a small force. Shalamari turned over its lands in Nurmafer to Khemri.

The first major event in the continuation of the Great War, as it is being called by almost everyone now, as the Nurmaferi war no longer conveys its massive scope, was the return of Khemri’s navy.

On the delta that had once been the homeland of the Khemri people, a large fleet was built. Working feverishly, Khemri and a few Tekrehex workers completed the new line of ships in incredible time.

The brainchild of the genius named Quirm, these ships, called Tridents, were the most powerful naval vessels yet devised. While ponderous compared to smaller ships or Veritasian Biremes, their tremendous firepower easily made up for it. A ballista was mounted at the bow, and a miniature catapult at the stern could sink an enemy ship with a single good blow, and many archers onboard could easily kill off exposed enemies.

Skilled Tekrehex sailors ran the ships, and Khemri soldiers ran the weaponry. The great Khemri fleet advanced out of the delta into the open seas. It quickly began to prey on Veritasian shipping. It didn’t take long for the Veritasian navy to respond.

The navy of Veritas hadn’t been used for some time, but it was still formidable. The two fleets met at the mouth of the River Wardash, a short distance away from the city of Delhi…

Meanwhile on land, the combined forces of Shalamari, Gorin and Khemri had advanced to the Veritasian-held Tekrehex city of Netsihasko. Seeing what was happening, the local Tekrehex population burst into wild rebellion against their occupiers.

The coalition saw their chance, and assaulted the city. Overwhelmed by attack from both inside and outside, the entire Veritasian garrison was overrun in hours. Once the city was secured, something occurred to the victorious generals. Why had the Veritasian defenses been so weak? It was agreed that the Veritasian forces were most likely occupied with the Zibonese rebellion. The three armies continued their advance into Mogulia. They reached the walls of Delhi just as the Veritasian fleet reached the estuary of the Wardash...
(-2000 Veritasian Urban Militia, -2000 Shalamari Spearmen)

The Battle of the Wardash Estuary was later thought of as the first ‘capital ship battle’ in history. 40 Khemri Tridents faced off against 30 Veritasian Biremes. The Veritasians had greater experience, the Khemri, greater weaponry and numbers.

The Veritasian fleet quickly discovered that the Khemri ships were rather unmaneuverable. The Veritasian Oceanus quickly ordered that ramming tactics were to be used. This was successful in sinking several Khemri vessels, but many Veritasian ships were sunk by the deadly ballistae and catapults that the Khemri were armed with.

The two fleets battled for hours, suffering fairly equal casualties. But eventually, the Veritasians were forced to retreat. They had to defend their home island. Khemri had won at sea, although it was unwilling to risk an attack against Veritas.
(-28 Tridents, -25 Biremes)

It was now that the question of the generals of Khemri, Shalamari and Gorin of where the Veritasian army had gone was answered. Out of the mountains around Said, the temporary Khemri capital, a massive Veritasian force under the command of Stratikrator Cendrian appeared.

But Veritas didn’t have the element of surprise it had hoped for. The Veritasian force had been spotted by a group of Shalamari, who were searching for crystals. They fled, and raised the alarm. The main Shalamari defensive army reached Said as Veritas emerged from the high mountains.

Now, please allow me describe the topography of Said. High mountains are on both sides. On a small, sloping plateau, the city is built. To the city’s west, a deep canyon carved by a minor tributary to the River Khim exists. A narrow road stretching to the city’s north and south connects Khemri to the north. Veritas was on a higher plateau, with an excellent view of the battlefield.

A massive barrage of flaming arrows and projectiles from the Veritasian Phoenix Archers greeted the Shalamari that morning. The Veritasians worked desperately to erect the war towers.

The Shalamari General Azri Dologoth made a logical guess that these towers were not something he wanted his enemies to have. As there were no qualified Khemri generals in the area, he took command of the local garrison. So he sent off a small force to try and flank Cendrian’s forces, and charged with most of his forces uphill towards his position. But spears are not the ideal weapons in these conditions, and his main force was driven off. His flanking force was called off, and disappeared from the battleground.

General Dologoth then launched another attack, this time with Khemri Royal Guards fighting alongside him. This attack did some damage, and the Shalamari got a hold on some of the land on the Veritasian plateau. But an attack from Veritasian infantry forced him off again. He had to concede defeat on the Veritasian plateau, and began preparing for a defense in Said. The government and all of the civilian population who could not bear arms were sent south, down the road towards the River Khim.

Shouts of celebration from the Veritasians came soon after the evacuation, apparently they had completed setting up their war-towers. This was confirmed with massive barrages of arrows and bolts from the towers. The Shalamari force and Khemri levies bunkered down and withstood barrage after barrage, although they were suffering casualties.

It was time for General Dologoth to play his ace. He lit a large pyre in the center of Said. The signal was sent.

High in the mountains, several boulders were dislodged, by the Shalamari forces who had left the battle earlier. One of the mighty siege towers of Veritas was shattered as a bouncing boulder hit it dead on. A second tower was grazed by one boulder. Slowly, the massive construct tipped over. And began to roll.

The screams of Veritasians trapped in the massive tower rolling and splintering down the slope blended with the screams of Shalamari and Khemri soldiers being crushed by it. It bounced and rolled straight for Said, splintering in sections but still holding intact, for the most part.

The tower crushed a row of mudbrick houses on the edge of Said, then rolled and slid into the canyon, plummeting hundreds of feet and shattering in the torrent.

Stratikrator Cendrian analyzed the situation. The Shalamari were in chaos, but so were his men. No more boulders had fallen from above, perhaps the Shalamari had run out. He counted on the discipline of his own forces to win this battle. He ordered a charge, and the Veritasian infantry ran down the hill.

Dologoth rallied his forces, but it was too late. Cendrian’s forces smashed into Said, and the Shalamari and Khemri disintegrated into chaos. Seeing that victory was impossible, Azri Dologoth took the remaining Shalamari forces and moved them north, to protect his capital.

After discovering that the government had fled, Cendrian ordered the city razed. Taking what supplies were there, the Veritasian army then moved south. Within a few days, the coast was taken. Though the Khemri, Shalamari and Gorin didn’t know it yet, they were cornered, between the hammer of Cendrian and the Anvil of Veritas…
(-3000 Shalamari Spearmen, -1500 Khemri Royal Guards, -2 Veritasian War-Towers, -2000 Veritasian Latismen, -1000 Veritasian Falchions, -1000 Veritasian Phoenix Archers, -Said)

The forces allied against Veritas were about to besiege Delhi when word reached them of the Battle of Said. Enough of a force was left in Mogul to keep the Veritasians bottled up there, and the allied armies moved to Netsihasko to defend against Cendrian’s forces.

Cendrian arrived. But his force, for all of its skill and professionalism, was tired and running low on supplies.

The allied generals looked upon him with disdain. They could defeat this force twice over, with their numbers. They launched an attack at Cendrian’s force. The Stratikrator prepared his forces for battle, but in his heart knew that victory in these conditions was impossible. But he had nowhere to retreat to. The hammer of Veritas had become the metal on the anvil- about to be smashed.

Cendrian’s force was overrun by the massive forces of the Crystal Alliance. The Stratikrator was slain after his last action, torching the unassembled War Tower so it would not fall into enemy hands.
(-1000 Veritasian Latismen, -1000 Falchions, -1000 Phoenix Archers, -1 War-Tower, -2000 Shalamari Spearmen, -1000 Shalamari Phalanx, -1000 Khemri Royal Guards, -1000 Gorinese Bajos)

Now, Veritas is in a dire situation. While the Zibonese rebellion is over, foreign threats are now on Veritas’ very doorstep, besieging the city of Delhi. And the peace movement has gained wide support, including among members of the Assemblum.

The peace movement is strong in Khemri as well. The war is chafing against all, and the people are tired. The actions of the Letter-Writer of the Citadel just may be the salvation of the nations to its south.
(-1 Confidence for Khemri, Shalamari, Gerber, Tristaria, Davar, Veritas)

Mappo Giganto

Notes: The mountain range between Croyodon and Skilv’so needs a name.

And for everyone’s information, there is little seasonal difference in this world, as the axial tilt is only off by a small amount compared to our earth.

If you mention a treaty, I’d like it to be described in your orders please. If you have a problem due to this, please PM me and we’ll sort it out.

All Cultural Centers give +1 culture and confidence this turn.

never mind

Umm... iggy...ummm... What happened to the bulk of my Orders, namely the Road and Unchete?????

Plus the claiming of the mountains that Nurmafer was supposed to evacuate....

Top Bottom