G Minor 4

Dianthus

Small but hardy
Retired Moderator
Welcome to the fourth Minor Gauntlet of the CivIV Hall of Fame!

Be advised that HOF Rules do apply, in addition to these settings:

• Victory Condition: Space Race (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Noble
  • Starting Era: Any
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Lakes
  • Speed: Quick
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.61.004
  • Date: 25th June to 9th July 2006

All other settings are at Player's discretion within HOF rules. Games are to be submitted as normal HOF submissions, final rankings will be sorted by fastest finish date with score as tiebreaker.

Starting Era: Any

Interesting,
If you take future, you start around 1900 AD or something?
Could someone give the year you start in with every starting Era?

dutchfire said:
Interesting,
If you take future, you start around 1900 AD or something?
Could someone give the year you start in with every starting Era?

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure if you want an early finish you'll need to play Ancient.

WastinTime said:
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure if you want an early finish you'll need to play Ancient.
IIRC, Future starts are like ~1600 but don't quote me on that. I do agree with WT that Ancient would be needed for the best FF date though. I wouldn't be shocked to see a launch in the 14th/15th centuries, although that's totally a hunch.

Be interesting to see how bad I stink at this one. :D

Where does the log file on the HoF Mod get saved to? Can't seem to find it, check civ4 log dir and in the mod dir. Figured I'd try to log my game for this one to see if im improving game to game on my tech speed.

Edit: Nevermind, I changed it off default to another dir and it shows up.. just not sure where it went when on default path :)

I'm not sure I'll be submitting to this one. I have yet to win a game...

superslug said:
I'm not sure I'll be submitting to this one. I have yet to win a game...

i can win every time.. just my times are getting worse as i try other things to make my time quicker. guess im going for the wrong techs early or not expanding enough or using the wrong civics, or something. I gift techs all game to try to keep them close enough to help on getting a few from the AI. Dont buy any military and just get buildings. Right now my fast time is 1890, probably a few centuries off what the top time will be. Got 1910 and 1928 on my next 2 attempts. Even tried the permanent alliance route on the last one but that didnt seem to increase my tech rate at the end, and slowed me down overall by going for those techs.. think the lousy AI turned their tech rate to 10% or something after our alliance!

I just finished my first game...at 1885. ;) I ignored diplomacy; instead I raced to Macemen, took over my closest neighbor and then tried to go straight for the win. Unfortunately, Peter decided to declare war on me just as I started my first SS Casing, which meant that after I scrambled to promote all my Macemen to Infantry I got carried away going on the offensive, which probably slowed me down quite badly - I think my units killed/lost total was 150-something to 6. :rolleyes:

Going to try at least one more game...I took my time, but a whole game can easily be played in one sitting. I'll probably try the same basic strategy and see if I can resist my later aggressive impulses.

I just submited a 1936AD win. I tried to keep up with the technology pace of the #1 entry for Standard/Noble/Space Race (1620AD) which is a Marathon game. However, keeping up with the research speed of a Marathon game while playing a Quick game seems to be almost impossible. For example, around 1500AD, the number of years per turn is one and ten for Marathon and Quick respectively. On the other hand the number of bakers needed for a particular technology is only about 4-5 times higher for Marathon. For example Scientific Method requires 9360 and 2090 bakers for Marathon and Quick respectively.

I was also shooting for 1600's. I thought the timelines were supposed to be balanced in 1.61. I guess not. I finished in 1755 AD. I think if I try one more time I can get late 1600's, but probably not beat the score on the board for marathon speed.

Well I had 1600's in my sights, but Hatty attacked with 30 turns to go. Most of my cities were empty so I had to switch to Nationhood and then back to Bureaucracy. I figure it cost me 5-6 turns. Launched in 1725 AD.

Can we submit more than once on these Gauntlets?

Thanks Methos :)

Ive just submitted an 1800's launch. I would have liked to have had another go at it but wont have the time.

Thats the first time Ive really tried playing Civ 4 on the Quick speed setting, hells bells, quick is an understatement. It leaves me sweating when things go that fast! Its difficult to gauge the pace of things when your not used to that speed.

I don't get how to do those 1800s launches. My best times are 1947 and 1942 with Elizabeth and Washington respectively. I did everything I could, traded techs, conquered a few other civs, built lots of science, specialized for science and still can only do the 1940s launches. I even gave techs away so that the other civs could keep up a bit closer so we could trade more often.

At least your winning Murky. I have had two attempts and been beaten both times..lol:)

Top Bottom