2006 July GOTM

Dack

Terra Form
Report: Equal world. See post #3 for correct file

People: English
Level: King
goal: conquest
  • Shortest amount of time (players with same year civ score breaks tie).
  • If none of the above the player who lasts the longest wins.

All Entries must be submitted before August 1, 2006

Entries will consists of a zip file with all auto save games. If 3000bc & 2000bc may be overwritten then rename them Civil2.* and Civil3.*. The move before your last move will be saved as civil0.*. Include your Replay.txt, your year and score.

Rules:
  • Use version 5. No version 1 (i.e. 474.01 or 475.01) Click here to upgrade to version 5
  • No use of other programs (map viewers, Editors, etc...)
  • Overuse of settler cheat - if you use it so state it.

Is this a Terra Formed world? Or a world generated from the game?

I can't download it... :cry:

Gah. I started this game a dozen times and just can't get myself to finish it. GOTMs are just not for me. I don't know why.. but the thought of playing the same map as others in compition seems to work against the magic of Civ. Just me. You guys go ahead :)

trada said:
but the thought of playing the same map as others in compition seems to work against the magic of Civ.

The competition aspect of this isn’t really my cup of tea either. I was hoping that the game of the month would spark conversation about the games. What did you not like about this particular game?

We are just going to have to do a write-up, right? I have a old 95 laptop (with something like 16 mb of ram!) with civ3 on it, but it will be hard enough to put the save on there, not to mention take it back and upload it. (it's a very strange computer...)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see anything on it.

Dack said:
The competition aspect of this isn’t really my cup of tea either. I was hoping that the game of the month would spark conversation about the games. What did you not like about this particular game?

I just can't get started on it. Honestly, I try. I build up me cities but by the time I'm exploring the seas I just save and quit and don't come back. I guess.. I don't know.. Just not me.

Maybe stating that the goal is conquest ruins it a little bit
in the first place. How about next time you just supply
a suitable starting map an everybody can choose their
own approach, be it conquest, space race or whatever.
Then it's more fun to discuss the game afterwards.

I'm playing the july game btw and I don't think I can
win it anymore; my opponents have developed gunpowder and
it's becoming frustrating having to manage my army
of units, especially know that they're just banging their
heads against the wall.

Before I forget:
is there a multiplayer version of Civ1? That can be
played over the net?

I am playing the game! This is a good map, but a very hard game to win. I am at 1500 AD now and have barely left my home continent. I have got the upper hand over the Zulus, and I think I will be able to slowly take them out completely. Then I hope I can move on to the next civ and slowly take down every civ one by one the same way, but that will surely take a lot of time to do.

I will not be able to do it whitin this month, so as usual I have to ask for more time.

I guess Dack get a little anoyed on me for never being able to keep the deadlines, but I can’t help it. These GOTMs are so increadibly time consuming. I couldn’t possibly find enough time to finish one of those every month. Maybe we should just make it official that the civ1 GOTM period is two month? Or maybe the games could be designed to take less time to play? A short deadline and a very time consumimg map is really not a good combination for me.

lost_civantares said:
We are just going to have to do a write-up, right? I have a old 95 laptop (with something like 16 mb of ram!) with civ3 on it, but it will be hard enough to put the save on there, not to mention take it back and upload it. (it's a very strange computer...)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see anything on it.
Ah, I see an unanswered question!
Ideally you should upload your save games in this thread (put all auto-saves, and the save game just before you win or lose the game + replay.txt in a zip-file). But this is not a perfect world, so I would say that if you can’t upload your saves, you should just post a write-up here. It is certainly better than nothing, and I have a feeling it will be accepted anyway (at least in the ’hall of fame’ thread, which is the only result service here so far).

trada said:
I just can't get started on it. Honestly, I try. I build up me cities but by the time I'm exploring the seas I just save and quit and don't come back. I guess.. I don't know.. Just not me.
Fair enough, but could you please post those saves? Anything is better than nothing!

Gundus said:
Maybe stating that the goal is conquest ruins it a little bit
in the first place. How about next time you just supply
a suitable starting map an everybody can choose their
own approach, be it conquest, space race or whatever.
Then it's more fun to discuss the game afterwards.
Maybe, but we need a simple and fair scoring system. The in-game scoring system is not particularly well balanced, and I guess the manipulated maps we play here makes the ballance even worse. Stating a clear goal like earliest conquest makes it very easy to compare scores. I am not sure how we could make that work with a free choise of victory condition? Maybe you have some ideas? It sure would be nice to have more freedom when playing these GOTMs:)

Gundus said:
I'm playing the july game btw and I don't think I can
win it anymore; my opponents have developed gunpowder and
it's becoming frustrating having to manage my army
of units, especially know that they're just banging their
heads against the wall.
I hope you will submit something anyway. You don’t have to win to participate;)

Gundus said:
Before I forget:
is there a multiplayer version of Civ1? That can be
played over the net?
Yes there is, but don’t bother with it. You will not find anybody to play against anyway. You might find someone who claim to be interrested on this forums, but when it comes to actually playing they will fail you. That seems to bee the way things work here, lots of talking but no playing...

Sorry mate. I'm not going to bother posting those saves (if I still have them).

Hey Dack, is there a new terra form?

Surprisingly I finished my game tonight, so I managed to keep the deadline after all :dance: Here’s what happened in my game:

I planned to start conquering the world imidiately and started building chariots and triremes to do the job. But then I discovered that there were no land to conquer within the trireme range. My research funding was not directed at anything that could help me building sails, so I decided to switch strategy and instead build a modernized civilization before conquering everything else. After all the starting continent was big enough to sustain a mighty empire by itself. Unfortunately all the ai civs had equally good oportunities, which made me fall slightly behind in the science race.

That kind of stoped my ambitions of a quick world conquest, and instead I layed planns for how to slowly take over the world by sheer mass production of weapons and diplomats. Then the ai civs started to launch spaceship after spaceship. Furtunately none of them made it to their destination so the game continued.

I managed to get a foothold on the Zulu continent, but then the Zulus regrouped and the whole thing evolved into a mass slaughter. Slowly they drove me out of their continent again. Then there was only one thing to do. :nuke:
I built the Manhattan project and started to use nukes like a mad man. And it worked. I got back into Zululand. Nothing can stop me now :D Except a software bug! In the beginning of 1761 AD the game crashed, and reloading didn’t fix the problem. Game over! :(

So my result is an impressive game crash loss in 1761 AD :p

Edit: Somehow zip-files are not allowed as attachments here anymore, so I renamed my zip file "Pikachu_July.txt", but it is not a text file. Please rename it to "Pikachu_July.zip" before opening it.

Attachments

• Pikachu_July.txt
    183.9 KB · Views: 312
Top Bottom