order of city builds at start of turn ?

rescuerick

faithful servant
i have a question about what order improvements are built at the start of your turn. in this case, i have just used a great leader to rush the FP. i am wondering if i can get the city that is building the FP to complete first (be the first city checked). my reasoning is that if i can, then the corruption in the nearby cities will go down significantly, thus allowing an extra turn with maybe 50-100 gold and extra sheilds. or do you have to have the FP built for a turn before you can realize its affects? similarly, if it works, i suppose you could use this strategy with a happiness wonder (i rarely build them, but if you did...) and maybe lower the lux slider before it is built.

i think the build order goes oldest city first, but i have no real evidence to support this.

any thoughts?

i'm still playing vanilla, so the FP can make a big imapact, and i am unpatched, if that has any impact.

rick

rescuerick said:
i think the build order goes oldest city first, but i have no real evedience to support this.
Agreed. Although I have the latest patches, I would not have thought that this was something that needed fixing from before and so no being fully patched should make no difference in this instance. (It is the same order as when you scroll through your towns using the big arrows in the city screen.)

The only way I can think of getting the FP to be built first is when you did not build your capital in 4000BC and then you build the FP in a captured ex-capital from another civ.

Commerce (gold and beakers) is calulated first, and collectively, before the game cycles through each and every city from oldest to youngest. There is nothing you can do about that order. When it cycles through the cities the game first checks for happyness. If it is insufficient the city will go into disorder and you will get no shields or food this turn and no commerce next turn. If happyness is sufficient the game then collects food and shields - in that order (important for settler factories).

This means several things.
(1) You will not get the commerce from the cities younger than FP city on the turn you build it. You will get it collecively on the next turn.
(2) You will on the other hand get the shields and happy faces from lux tax in such a city.
(3) If you build a happyness wonder, for example Hanging Gardens, the city itself will not yet benefit from the content faces. Every city younger though, will.
(4) Exploits galore. Esp. on turns you discover a tech.

Lord Emsworth - thanks for the prompt and detailed reply (Tone also). your explanation is precisely what i figured, but i wanted to confirm it if i could and the replies have done this. i will have to get better with the other exploits - i read in the WA about how you can take advantage if you are scientific but generally don't play science civs.

care to elaborate on or point me to some of the other exploits?

I'm pretty sure that the program starts listing cities in the order that they're built. Doesn't matter which civ, either, just whichever came first. You can sorta see this when you start with your capital and cycle through the cities. So you can capture a city say in 1000AD, but it could be second or third in your list, because it was founded before the rest of your cities.

I also suspect, but am not sure, that if a city is destroyed then that spot opens up. Any new city founded will take the first empty spot it comes to, even if that spot is City #1 or 2. Not sure on that tho.

Thanks. I knew the latter was true for Civ1, but I wasn't sure if they kept it the same for the later games.

rescuerick said:
Lord Emsworth - thanks for the prompt and detailed reply (Tone also). your explanation is precisely what i figured, but i wanted to confirm it if i could and the replies have done this. i will have to get better with the other exploits - i read in the WA about how you can take advantage if you are scientific but generally don't play science civs.

care to elaborate on or point me to some of the other exploits?

What I meant was that you can take double credit from the commerce that you generate when you are on the last turn of research for a tech. Just as an example, imagine you are running at 80% science researching 'Writing.' You also give 20% lux tax to simply keep your people from rioting. Now when you are just one turn away from getting the tech you go to your Domestic Advisor Screen (F1) and lower the research slider. Maybe that last turn of research can be done at just 60% science, 20% tax and 20% lux. OK? There is nothing wrong about this. To the contrary, that is a good thing to do and you should do it every time.

You can take this a step farther though, and that is where it gets exploitive. Because gold and beakers are calculated before the individual checks for happyness occur you can set your lux slider to 0% and your tax slider to 40% before you end the turn. And then on the interturn, when you are told that you have discovered a new tech, you click on "Big Picture," go to your Domestic Advisor Screen and restore the lux settings to 20% so that your people don't riot, or - hell - even 100% so that they sing and dance. It wouldn't cost you a single gold coin.

In effect, your commerce was split up between 60% for science, 40% tax, and 100% lux. 200% total. 200% and a little, if you triggered some WLTKDs for reduced corruption (effects would come in next turn).

Similar, smaller, things can be done be done to have a city give both "Wealth" and actual production, or to reap the benefits of both a high commerce tile and a high food/shield tile with a single laborer, etc pp.

Lord Emsworth said:

You can take this a step farther though, and that is where it gets exploitive. Because gold and beakers are calculated before the individual checks for happyness occur you can set your lux slider to 0% and your tax slider to 40% before you end the turn. And then on the interturn, when you are told that you have discovered a new tech, you click on "Big Picture," go to your Domestic Advisor Screen and restore the lux settings to 20% so that your people don't riot, or - hell - even 100% so that they sing and dance. It wouldn't cost you a single gold coin.

In effect, your commerce was split up between 60% for science, 40% tax, and 100% lux. 200% total. 200% and a little, if you triggered some WLTKDs for reduced corruption (effects would come in next turn).

Similar, smaller, things can be done be done to have a city give both "Wealth" and actual production, or to reap the benefits of both a high commerce tile and a high food/shield tile with a single laborer, etc pp.

brilliant :thumbsup: i can totally see how that works. does seem like too much of an exploit to me though and i'm not sure that the additional micromanaging is worth the result. but i do really appreciate seeing more of the underworkings of the game.

Oh, it's worth it. Maybe not to the extent Lord Italics does it, but just moving the slider down from the fourth or third turn down can get you a bunch of extra money. And that's money you can buy more techs with, or rush units/improvements.... It's a handy little trick that works wonders.

the "moving the slider down a couple of turns ahead" is important and not any sort of exploit.

What Lord Emsworth describes about getting double commerce in a turn is an exploit. Obviously, what you do in your own games is up to you - after all, the game is about having fun :) But bear in mind that if you participate in COTM/GOTM/HoF, which is often much fun and *very* educational, that is pretty explicitly banned.

AutomatedTeller said:
the "moving the slider down a couple of turns ahead" is important and not any sort of exploit.

sorry, did not mean to imply this was an exploit or even tedious micromanaging. i think i started doing this before i even found this forum. i was referring to the other stuff which i thought was conceptually pretty cool but would not use.

Top Bottom