Fixing Pre-Industrial City Styles

Wouter

Chieftain
Hello everyone,

In my scenario I want 5 civilizations with 5 different city styles. One uses Industrialisation, the other use the 4 normal ones. When changing the human player, these styles get mixed up however.

I read somewere that it's possible to keep them fixed by opening the saved game/scenario in 'Write' and then changing the 2nd carachter before the leaders' names. However, I can't get this to work. Either Civ2 doesn't accept the file, or I'm not really changing anything.

Can anyone help me out with this???

W.

I think that byte only changes how cities are viewed by the owning tribe. To change how cities are viewed by other tribes, edit the city style entries under @LEADERS in rules.txt. BTW, instead of hex-editing, the city style bytes can be changed using Carl Fritz's CivTweak utility. If you begin a scenario, these bytes are reset according to the contents of the @LEADERS table anyway, so the wrong graphics will only be present in your working SAV file.

Wobbe is right on this. Carl's utility works great -- I've used it in a number of scenarios especially in the making of Birth of America ----in case you are interested---->(Main File: 1 Sound files: 1 2 ).

Everything does get reset according to the @LEADER table.

But Carl's utility does so much more, give it a try and tell us what you come up with.

CivPartisan

Hi Guys,

I indeed changed the rules.txt to the right city styles, but starting the scenario didn't give the right city style for all civilization. When starting with the green one, it wasn't right for some weird reason. But luckely that CivTweak did the trick!

Thank you!

Wouter

Out of curiosity I started up a few games and checked the city style bytes. I found that only the byte for the human player is reset - both for normal games and scenarios. In normal games the byte values for other tribes are 0, meaning they get the first city style in cities.bmp. What's more, when starting normal games, I found that tribes data were not being properly cleared from memory; some of the data from earlier games appeared in subsequent saved game files. That can make it appear that bytes for more than just the one tribe are being set. Quitting Civ2 altogether before starting a new game provides a fresh slate. Anyway, at least CivTweak got you sorted. :goodjob:

Bumping the thread for easier access :)

Top Bottom