Sevomod--Warlords Version

Sevo

Leaf on the Wind
Well, I hate to do this but I'm retiring from Civ-4 modding for the time being! I bought the game a year ago on my birthday and it's been a lot of fun, but I feel like I've given it a solid run and I want to move on to other things. I'm happy with the game as is with the vanilla and adding the Warlords compatibility just isn't all that interesting a project--mostly it'll be a lot of line-by-line patching of the old changes to the new changes.

I have ample faith in the rest of the gang that's been nurturing this project along that if the will is there a Warlords version will be available--if I'm not mistaken Keldath has pretty much completed it on his end with a few additions/changes.

For the curious, the new project that has caught my attention is the netflix prize. I've been working on it and I'm keeping pace with the leaders, though I'm yet to actually post a score set as I'm waiting for my 'puters to finish processing some data sets still. The nice thing about the netflix prize is that's is challenging (like Civ modding) AND there's money involved! Ha-haha! I'm on there as Sevo as well, so keep an eye out for me...we'll see...

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know why I've dissappeared.

Thanks to everyone, especially those of you who have been so helpful in recent months (Keldath and Titi in particular have done a lot of work to help).

I'm happy to hand off the reigns to anyone who wants to pick them up. Mod away! All I ask is that you keep the long list of credits of all the contributors with any future development--they all pitched in and they all deserve thanks!

:wavey:
I'll drop in frequently to say hi! Plus--there's Civ-5 to look forward to!

Reserving this one for the Warlords work history!

Make a option to kick vassals that you dont like?? Please? :p

Perhaps with diplomacy penalty from him and his friends?

Ah, and if you accept somebody as vassal, but this one is in war with other civ, the siplomacy window should show for you and the other civ and then they would decide if its better to get in war over the vassal or declare complete peace..Perhaps with the other civ demanding something from you to "pay off" the freedom of your vassal?

Ah, and be able to build improviments in the vassal territory for the sake of lack of resources in your own territory(like you dont haveing a oil resourse but your vassal haveing it in a isle but not working on it at all? -.- Happened to me..)!

And, for the sake of the logic makes it possible to yourslef be a computer vassal? I know it probaly wont be must of use, but perhapsc you can use captulation when almost getting owned and then recover your power till you can become independent again?

Ps: There were/are proposals already for all these suggestions in the main CIV4 forum, but I guess they wont really change it in the game..

Sevo,

With the addition of Stalin, Churchhill, etc as Leaderheads now, the "Great Person" name list will need to be changed a little. Leave Adolf intact, though. :mischief: :satan:

If you'd like any help with the XML and/or merging the C++ into Warlords, I'll lend a hand. I'm not a pro with the C++ just yet, but I'll do what I can to help get the ball rolling. :goodjob:

You can PM me if you'd like any assistance is putting all this together. You could certainly do what ever I do faster/better, but still... just thought I'd extend a helping hand.

Don't finish it too quickly! I just started playing sevomod 2 days ago and I bought warlords today on my lunch break. I took a 9 month month hiatus at the end of 05, but now I have 2 "all new" games to play, then I can combine them when you're done with the updates.

yea - being able to give a vassal the boot if he's not living up to your standards would be kewl. Having a vassal that is always annoyed with you is not the least bit helpful...

Specifically I'm curious to hear what you guys think about the vassal states and whether or not they're working well, and if not how they might be improved.

There is a patch due for warlords coming some time in this month. And it is said that it will fix some bugs and issues with vassal states.
Im refering to THIS thread.
So maybe it is wise to wait after that is released before planning improvements to the vasssal state system in the future Sevomod warlords release. Although discussing it will not hurt;)

Patch Thread said:
He also said that vassal state bugs will be fixed, but don't expect major implementation changes like being able to drop your vassal state, which is working as designed. One patch change to the vassal system is that "the new master will only accept the vassal if he also wants to declare war on you".

So this they wont change..Can you? :p With diplomatic penalties of course..

Part from the one bug (and perhaps a few other) that the next patch will fix, I actually find the vassal state system to be working quite brilliantly out of the box in the warlords expansion. And i dont find it neccecary to do any changed/modification to it..
Thats just my opinion then.

sorry sweetpete, but you really think that in real life a country never abandoned its vassal in war-time when they were afraid of their opponents? Hah, I want it to be more realistic! If a civilization declare war in your vassal you should have the option or of help your vassal or of abandon him, which of course would have a big diplomatic impact not only with the vassal but also with all others CIVs! A BIG impact that perhaps could influence the decisions later on of the AI to capitulate or not for you. And also you could do that in peace time also, but with less diplomatic impact, but still with some!

And also human player should be able to capitulate for an AI -.-

Just like real life an?

Arlborn said:
So this they wont change..Can you? :p With diplomatic penalties of course..

Personally after getting vassals a few times in-game, I have since decided its not worth it. You just don't get enough good things out of the arrangement and it seems to make your vassal even more angry at you than before. I will continue to keep looking at it in the future, there are probably many aspects I don't get just yet.

Regardless, I do also think someone should be able to drop thier vassal. But it would have to have severe diplomatic penelties with other CIVs and make it extremely hard to get someone to capitulate later on.

Is it not possible to become a vassal to the computer? What about in MP games? If its not it should be.

Hello Sevo

I need a huge favor...

When you are done with this mode and have the final
CvGameCoreDLL.dll compiled and ready to go, will you please give it one more compilation including the 3 Square City Mod by Roger Bacon and Strand
Warlords version - Konradius

I'm not familiar with SDK and compilations, I gave it several tries but no succsses.

I'm not the only one to like this addon while playine huge maps.

I'v included the source files:

View attachment 140304

Many thanks in advance.

Yeah defo have the option to drop the agreement, even if it means going to war with the vassal state. I never really understood the reasoning behind the fact you couldn't, I mean if you are dominant enough to have the vassal in the first place surely you are in a position to chose to end the agreement if you decide on that course of action.

I also think that if the vassal is gained through war (capitulation) then the only way they can break the agreement is by declaring war on you, none of this 50% of land mass controlled etc, that seems to much like a 'computer game' prerequisite and the like. By allowing the capitulated vassal to break the agreement by declaring war on you seems a bit more life like and therefore cIV like. This would force the player to station some troops in the vassal's territory for the vassals own 'protection' and as your protection against the vassal declaring war on you.

Making the increased need to train troops for stationing in your vassal's territory could act as the main negative point for having vassal states. This would allow for the current negative of increased maintenance in your own cities do be ditched, I never quite figured out why your cities would cost more to maintain by having a vassal state? Probably a shortcut on behalf of Firaxis to balance in some form of negative point in the vassal system.

Maybe I'm looking for too much 'real life' in the game with the consequence being the overall gameplay suffers, but I think that the vassal states concept needs revamped and if any modder out there can do it then Sevo can! :D

AljayBoy said:
Yeah defo have the option to drop the agreement, even if it means going to war with the vassal state. I never really understood the reasoning behind the fact you couldn't, I mean if you are dominant enough to have the vassal in the first place surely you are in a position to chose to end the agreement if you decide on that course of action...

Great feedback so far guys. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. From what I've seen the vassels are a great idea but they do need some work, and we'll get it right.

simkodavid said:
Hello Sevo

I need a huge favor...

When you are done with this mode and have the final
CvGameCoreDLL.dll compiled and ready to go, will you please give it one more compilation including the 3 Square City Mod by Roger Bacon and Strand
Warlords version - Konradius

I'm not familiar with SDK and compilations, I gave it several tries but no succsses.

I'm not the only one to like this addon while playine huge maps.

I'v included the source files:

View attachment 140304

Many thanks in advance.

While I'm not really a fan of the three squares, I can compile a version for you with the option available. Because you asked so nice ;)

I bet there is no return to the vanilla version after the Warlords Sevomod comes out? I was just wondering which is the appropriate add-on-suggestions thread, the "Feedback" or this... Well, I bet people read them both anyways, and they are regarded as suggestions for both versions' mods. I just hope neither of the threads becomes overlooked by the sheer weight of traffic, as everybody seems to hope that "Warlords Sevomod is published as complete as it can be"...

One should really post his visions real soon, as every suggestion accepted into the mod adds the work of Sevo and further delays the first Warlords mod. (This is how I figured the phase would be right now.)

And a question to Sevo: Are you going to develop the vanilla version mod anymore after the Warlords mod is completed? (I was thinking that maybe the vanilla should be discarded to save your time and effort in the future.) Of course it would be bad news for those without the Warlords-expansion, though...

Anywhere close to getting out a first version? Not to rush you... I'm just really interested in trying out your mod, but I don't want to go to your vanilla :) It looks good.

- John

I don't want to start a platforms war, but Warlords for the Mac is due out later this year. Is there anyway that this mod can be adopted for the Mac? I am planning on purchasing the Warlords version for the Mac as I switch platforms. It would be great if the vanilla version could also be doen for the Mac, but maybe this is asking too much. Frankly speaking I have no idea how much work there is in making it Mac compatible.

mmmmm sevomod... warlords... sevo...war...lords.....sevolords... mmmmmmmm

well I have no real input. Just checking status and making my mark. Can't wait for sevolords:D

Sevo said:
Great feedback so far guys. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. From what I've seen the vassels are a great idea but they do need some work, and we'll get it right.

While I'm not really a fan of the three squares, I can compile a version for you with the option available. Because you asked so nice ;)

Dunno if it helps but the ViSa team is working on controlling 3 or 2 squares limit via the ini file?

The Sevomod was the first mod to really get me excited and I hope to see it on warlords soon! :cool:

Top Bottom