Midgard fantasy mod

I've downloaded and played your scenario. It's great. I have some critiques/observations from my game as the Merfolk:

Despotism has such disastrous corruption that the cities on the main island are all nearly worthless. For some reason, that doesn't stop the Buteos and Humans from making tons of cities on that island while I'm still struggling. I edited your scenario and changed Despotism to have Problematic corruption. MUCH better. Actually, to make it more like Civ 2, I think Despotism, Monarchy, and Stygian Despotism should all have Nuisance corruption. I haven't looked at the other governments.

From my game as the Elves:

Removing the Clear Forest ability from the Elves is devestating. The Elves are the weakest race (they're too close to the Stygians on the main island and the Elf island is too small). When I played the Civ 2 Midgard, I did well as the Elves for two reasons. I used a diplomat to buy a Stygian city that had a Dragon in it (ok that doesn't work for this game) and also because I was able to clear forests on the Elf island. I could clear forests, then irrigate them and make them actually useful.

The underground land tiles near the Goblins need to have Tunnels already built, like in the Civ 2 scenario.

The Stygian units shouldn't be able to fight without causing a war. In the Civ 2 scenario, the Stygians couldn't communicate with anyone. That seems impossible to do in Civ 3. To reproduce that effect in Civ 3, it seems best to just make them always start wars with their units, like normal.

It would be awesome if the Haunted Forest terrain had the little eyes like it did in Civ 2. That would make it look creepier.

I know I've disappeared for a long time. But I need to point out that a long time after completing Midgard, I discovered that the game runs terribly slow after entering the 3rd era or so, even on my 3 GHz computer. I guess that's because of my native terrain rules, and the immense number of units the Stygians have. The only solution I can think of is making an alternative, smaller map. I'm not sure if it's worth doing this now, but if there are people who think it would be useful, just point it out.

It does run real slow after awhile.
But I play it anyway.

The map is already small enough.

I downloaded the game but I get this message Error Reading File Missing Entry in "text\pedialcons.text" Icon_Bldg_Dragoncaves game will exit. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to play the game? Thanks for the help. I have Civ 3 and the latest version 1.22

Craigruff, I posted you a mail with the possible solutions. However, this shouldn't happen. It works fine in my pc, and I have taken care that no such crashes will occur.

Edit: I find suprising how popular Midgard is, according to its downloads in the file database, but I'm even more surpised that in spite of this I've got not a single vote or reply in the thread (as a matter of principle I don't vote for my works). It seems that most people download and play - that's all.

Can anyone tell me in which file exactly do I put the patches? And what exactly do I do to play the music and back up the other files. Thanks.

The patch must be extracted in your civilization III folder (wherever it's installed, I don't remember the default path, though it's probably in something like program files/firaxis games). When asked to overwrite existing files, answer yes to all. It's important to install it, it greatly improves the gameplay.

The menu music and the title screen should also be extracted in your civilization folder. These features however are optional and they will overwrite the default civilization 3 files. Thus it's a good idea to backup the original files first, by renaming them to something else.

The title screen is named x_title and it's located in your civilization/conquests/art folder.
The menu music is named Menu1 and it's located in your civilization/conquests/sounds/menu folder.

As for the ambience sounds, extract them wherever you like, and cut-paste the sounds folder in your civilization/conquests/scenarios/midgard folder (thus they will play only with midgard and will not overwrite the default files).

I wonder if it's time to polish this mod a little and make a nice installer including the patch... I'll think about it.

I cannot download this cause you use 3Ddownloads, a suck site used for uploading things but with a time limit and very 56k slow time that even make high speed internet takes a long time to download a file with 114.0 MB. Can you upload a mirror off of filefront.com, cause that site is WAY much better then the suck site you are using, or allow us to download the file right off the bat like the patch.

I find two patches. Are both to be used? They are dated 5-9-05 and 21-9-05. Also are they to be placed in the Civ 3 file or in the Conquests folder? When I put them in the Civ 3 folder, as I thought you say they did ask not for any overwrite so I must have done something wrong. Please guide. Thanks.

craigruff said:
I find two patches. Are both to be used? They are dated 5-9-05 and 21-9-05. Also are they to be placed in the Civ 3 file or in the Conquests folder? When I put them in the Civ 3 folder, as I thought you say they did ask not for any overwrite so I must have done something wrong. Please guide. Thanks.
Two patches? Did you downloaded them a couple of months ago or so? No, I've merged them in one which is included in the first page. Download this, and put it in the civ3 folder.

darkedone02 said:
I cannot download this cause you use 3Ddownloads, a suck site used for uploading things but with a time limit and very 56k slow time that even make high speed internet takes a long time to download a file with 114.0 MB. Can you upload a mirror off of filefront.com, cause that site is WAY much better then the suck site you are using, or allow us to download the file right off the bat like the patch.
I know 3Ddownloads sucks, but this is the site that civfanatics use to upload mods bigger than 100Mb. I used to have 56k modem for a long time and it took me 24 hours to download the Warhammer mod... Anyway, a decent solution can be found if I use a package builder to include both the mod and the patch in a smaller file, which will be hosted by civfanatics.

UPDATE ANNOUNCED

Midgard 1.1 includes:
- A smaller map version (for slow machines) and a random map version.
- Seven new units, specifically:
Suicide Hammer Thrower (Goblins - by Aaglo)
Doom Diver (Goblins, replaces stone thrower - by Aaglo)
Doomwheel (Goblins, replaces siege engine - by Aaglo)
Skull Chucker (Stygians, replaces stone thrower - by Aaglo)
Screaming Skull (Stygians, replaces siege engine - by Aaglo)
Voodoo Doll (Barbarians - by Plotinus)
Ghost Ship (Barbarians - by Orthanc)
- Voodoo dolls and ghost ships as barbarians, instead of skeletons, skeleton riders and krakens. These barbarian units will turn defeated units to new voodoo dolls or ghost ships (I love these units, I'm glad I found a way to use them!)
- New leaderhead for the elves (Carlotina by Grandraem)
- New art for the elementalist unit (oriental enchanter by Plotinus)
- New art for the troll (troll by Bjornlo)
- The ambience sounds (it's no longer an optional feature, and will play only with Midgard)
- Finally the entire mod is merged in a self-extracting archive, which is smaller and easier to download.

Happy to hear about the new version. I did download the patch and it worked. thanks. but i am still uncertain where to extract the sound. You say put it in the Civ 3 folder, but do you mean the Civ 3 sound folder? And if in the Civ 3 sound folder, do I rename the menu file there? I am not talking about the ambient sounds. craigruff

Civ3. The path of the menu sound is civilization/conquests/sounds/menu, but the zip already includes the path's folders, so extracting the zip in civ3 should be sufficient.

Oh My Gosh! This is the coolest Modpack out thee. Kudos to Yorgos for making it. :D

Personally, I think this is better than Warhammer. ;)

Uh, dude, the Voodoo Doll is The Coolestunit on these forums. :D

Lord Malbeth said:
Oh My Gosh! This is the coolest Modpack out thee. Kudos to Yorgos for making it. :D

Personally, I think this is better than Warhammer. ;)
That's a very kind thing of you to say. Thank you. Though I disagree; you may enjoy Midgard more, but Warhammer is the best mod ever. Not only because it's the most complex mod (and the first of its kind), but, most important, because it’s the first that managed to exploit the editor to modify the rules in a way unknown before. I and many other moders use the mechanics of Warhammer, and even our new ideas (like the native terrain feature) wouldn't be possible without it.

bigdog5994 said:
why in the world are you gonna use the voodoo doll???
The Voodoo Doll? As Malbeth put it, it's way too cool to be left out! In addition, if this unit isn't fantasy themed, then what is? And I actually gave it such skills that will improve game play. You see, I've included three doll "classes", and each one enslaves to a lower class. Thus barbarians aren't now just a few units to be dealt with. One doll may look harmless, but if ignored it can raise several other dolls.

Top Bottom