YouTube Music

[KaeptnOvi] Fine Accept tracks there - love that guitar solo with the Beethoven. That's what it's all about.

But...

KaeptnOvi said:
I think it's safe to say that Accept is easily among (if not the) best german Metal bands ever.

I think that these guys might have something to say about that. Greatest metal song ever!

Engel - Rammstein

That video has got everything - at least, it's got guys with flamethrowers and a bikini-clad woman dancing with a snake, which means it doesn't need anything else. But it's still not the greatest rock video ever. Everyone knows that that honour goes to this:

November Rain - Guns & Roses

Slash is God. Further commentary is useless!

Rambuchan said:
Rare to see these work songs performed. Nice find! That was quite an astonishing performance. But it wasn't the finger work, nor accelerating guitar work that caught me. It was the steely, deadpan, lifeless look in his eye throughout, which didn't change at all. I'm wondering what you saw in that expression? Seemed to me a kind of shutters down approach, going through the motions whilst remaining numb and a kind of mechanical work ethic. No emotion, no emphasis, no embellishment, just working on the song. I'd like to see more of these if you can dig any out.

The camera work is itself odd in that one. You can see that he's moving back and forth in one shot, and then it goes to the close-up and suddenly he's quite still. I think they must have had him perform the song more than once, with the camera in different positions, and then mixed the shots to get that effect. That might explain his expression in the close-ups - perhaps they told him to hold still for that take. But that aside, Leadbelly was a complex character. He was a genuinely violent and scary man whilst also an artist of rare sensitivity and versatility - a man who was always proud of the fact that, as a teenager, he really could "pick a bale of cotton" more quickly than anyone else on the plantation. He knew how to "Yassir" in real life just as much as in that news clip - in fact he probably exploited John Lomax just as much as Lomas exploited him, in a way. But he must also have been angry at the system that held him back. His Bourgeois Blues is a long description of the racism he encountered in Washington DC - something that shocked him, a plantation worker from the Deep South! And remember what he says at the start of Good Morning Blues - "Now, this is the blues. Never was a white man had the blues, because nothing to worry about..."

So what was he thinking in that video? Impossible to say...

I'll have a root round for anything more like that that there is on the site. They don't seem to have any other Leadbelly clips (others do exist) and I don't know if any other artists like him were recorded at such an early date, but you never know...

In the meantime, the Leadbelly one reminded me of Johnny Shines, so here are two Johnny Shines clips. Shines was the man who travelled and played with Robert Johnson for a time in the 1930s and spent the rest of his life trying to avoid having to reminisce about it. I have several tracks by him on DVD and he always seems like this: utterly detached, almost mechanical, as if he's only half-there. That's partly testament to his amazing skill - he makes it look easy to replicate Robert Johnson's techniques - but partly testament to what else, I wonder...?

Ramblin' - Johnny Shines (Acoustic)

Ramblin' - Johnny Shines (Electric)

Plotinus said:
I think that these guys might have something to say about that. Greatest metal song ever!

Engel - Rammstein

Well, I won't disagree with you when it comes to Rammstein, they are truly a great band, it's just that I never considered them to be the same genre as Accept.

Since you brought Rammststein up: Here's there cover of Das Model awesome cover, if you ask me. And for good measure here's the classic original by Kraftwerk - Das Model the pioneers of electro pop.

Another great Rammstein song that they produced as an answer to constant accustation of the media that their music is borderline fascist: Links 2-3-4
wiki said:
Back home in Germany, the band has faced repeated accusations of fascist sympathies due to the dark and sometimes militaristic imagery of their videos and concerts, including the use of excerpts from the propaganda film Olympia by Leni Riefenstahl in the video for "Stripped". The debut album Herzeleid, released in Germany in 1995, originally had a cover featuring the bandmembers' upper bodies without clothing; critics accused the band of trying to sell themselves as "poster boys for the Master Race" [3]. Rammstein have vigorously denied this and said that they want nothing to do with politics or supremacy of any kind. Herzeleid has since been given an alternate cover in some countries, depicting the band members' faces.

The song "Links 2, 3, 4" was written as a riposte to these claims. According to Kruspe, it means, "'my heart beats on the left, two, three, four.' It's simple. If you want to put us in a political category, we're on the left side, and that's the reason we made the song." (The Grand Rapids Press, July 22, 2001) On the other hand, this is also an allusion to a military marching cadence since "links, 2, 3, 4" is typically heard during marching practice in the German army with "links" referring to the left foot. "Flake" recently stated on an on-line chat that the song was created in order to show that the band could write a harsh, "evil", military sounding song that was not about Nazi ideals. [4]

oh, and November Rain truly is one of the best Videos ever. I still get mad when the radio stations always fade out when Slash's solo starts :mad:

Re: Bad Religion.

I tried to find a good video of 'Incomplete' - one of my favorite BR songs, but the quality is too poor.

I also tried to find Rammstein - Mein Teil from their tour in Japan, which is one helluva show. Guess what - it's too gory. :rolleyes:

Whomp said:
Ram have you considered taking all these songs to the OP? It would be cool if we could access the tunes there (like El J's cookbook) because this will be a long thread, in my estimation.

I second Whomp's request :please:

Bartleby said:
Led Zeppelin songs, Reggae style, Elvis vocals...

Dread Zeppelin.

Heartbreaker
Black Dog
Spoiler :
You ain't nothin' but a black dog...you ain't never causght a rabbit and you ain't no firend of mine

Misty Mtn. Hop
Immigrant Song
indeed. one of the best cover? bands ever.

here are others:
Leningrad Cowboys.Feat:Red ArmyChoir - Sweet home alabama
Leningrad Cowboys - L.A. woman
Leningrad Cowboys - You're My Heart You're My Soul
they are a finnish band, not russian.
they did (do?) mostly rock n roll with a north european communist twist.
just enjoy this magic...

Leningrad Cowboys Go America is still one of my favourite films. The only DVD I could find of it is Japanese, with burned-in subtitles, but I still love it.

Bartleby said:
Leningrad Cowboys Go America is still one of my favourite films. The only DVD I could find of it is Japanese, with burned-in subtitles, but I still love it.

I got it without Japanese subtitles. But it will cost ya...

I'm happy as it is. It also has Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses on it.

edit: and so as not to be spamming, here's the Butthole Surfers' Wooden Song

Genre: butthole surfers :crazyeye:

Bartleby said:
Dread Zeppelin
Black Dog
Brilliant! :hatsoff:

Black Dog's my favourite Led Zep song and I loved the shift of gear into Elvis. Finally, I'd like to give a shout out to Charlie. :lol:

KaeptnOvi said:
I second Whomp's request :please:
I saw his post and was going to respond (simply having too much fun checking all the clips out right now, oh, and there's work to do also). I agree too. It needs to be done and I reckon I'll get round to it sometime.

But, it will be difficult. Suggestions for organising it? Genre would be the obvious way to go. Thing is, there are many that would fall between the gaps, such as The Pixies and Dread Zeppelin, for example. The Rock genre would also need to be broken down into sub categories. Please share thoughts on all that.

Also, it'd be nice to have info for each link, like:
~ Length of time of clip
~ Date
~ Venue
Or is that all too much?

edit: Link to posts, like C&C forum libraries? Or link to clips?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guilty as charged. I am of that age and, my word, is that a blast from the past! I remember the song well. Great present mate, thanks. There was also this.

Here's my token of thanks for you (note the specific clip I selected).

:lol: Thanks Ram, but don't tell dgfred about this. We don't want him electrocuted from drooling all over his PC...

Till said:

:goodjob:

Here's Peggy Lee with Dinah Shore (red dress) - Got Rhythm
And here's Dinah Shore with Mahalia Jackson! - Down by the River Side - these duets are fun!

Have to put in another with Mahalia Jackson, showing her in her real element - The Lord's Prayer from Jazz on a Summer's Day (1958)

Now showcasing: Rosemary Clooney!

Clooney (aunt of George Clooney btw) was a great entertainer spanning a long career.. she released a bunch of fun recordings in the fifties, where one of her big hits was Come On A-My House - video from the movie Stars Are Singing (1953)

A medley duet with Perry Como

Another medley including Nat King Cole

And finally a duet with on-and-off husband Jose Ferrer of the for Al Bundy fans probably well known Love and Marriage

Top Bottom