Citizen's Initiative - conducting elections

ravensfire

Member of the Opposition
Citizen's Initiative - The Election Act of 4000 BC

Conducting the affairs of Government in our system requires periodic elections. These elections allow citizen to chose their leaders based on their personalities, views and stated goals.

Terms of office will run from the first of the month to the last day. If the first term starts in the middle of a month, that term will not end until the last day of the subsequent month. No citizen can be elected to the same office in more than two consecutive terms.

Elections will be conducted by the official in charge of Election (called the EO). The EO will create nomination threads for each elected office, plus the Designated Player poll, 7 days prior to the end of the current term. After 3 days, the EO will post voting polls, one for each contested office, listing each candidate that has accepted their nomination in order of acceptance. These polls will be marked private, single-choice, and will be set to expire in 3 days.

Citizens can only accept one nomination for an elected office. If they accept more than one, the EO will try to determine which one is their preference. If the EO cannot, they will assume the most recent acceptance takes precendence. The Designated Player pool is not considered an elected office.

The citizen recieving the most votes at the conclusion of the election poll is deemed the winner of that election. In the event that more than one citizen is tied for the most votes, a runoff election poll, listing all citizen's tied for the most votes, will be conducted. This poll will be marked private, single-choice, and will be set to expire in 2 days. This process will be repeated until one citizen recieves the most votes.

A citizen can withdraw from an election at any time. This is an irreversible choice. When they do so, their name, and number of votes, is ignored for determining the winner of the election and for any runoffs.

The Designated Player poll will list all citizens that accepted their nomination. This poll will be marked private, multiple choice and will be set to expire in three days. All citizens receiving the required support will be considered to be the Designated Player pool for that term.

-------------
NOTES
Information used in the creation of this Initiative taken from this poll. All results of that poll have been honored here. In addition, information from previous DG's and personal experience were used.

As usual, my goal is to be clear about the process, and reduce ambiguities where possible. You'll note that I reference an "Election Official" here. The poll above indicated that we wanted an elected person to conduct elections. This should not be interpreted as creating an office - rather, creating a duty. This duty can be assigned to any elected official, and thus reassigned as needed. I suggest that future initiative that create a duty (something for someone to do) do likewise. This makes it easier to reassign tasks. The required support for a DP is referenced in the DP initiative, not here.

For the first term, we can either elect the EO or appoint someone to run the election via initiative. I would suggest the latter, just to speed things up.

-- Ravensfire

i agree, speeding things up a little shouldn't do any harm
Actually, that might need to be clarified. That should read "For the first term elections".

-- Ravensfire

The only problem I see is that it the term runs "from the first of the month to the last day." If any of the parliamentary layouts I proposed are passed (and I feel that the nonpartisan, unicameral one is quite strong, as it deviates from the traditions only in a few areas), new elections could theoretically happen at any time. I propose that the initiative be amended so that terms run for up to 30 days, which is essentially a month, except for elections of the Cabinet, which could theoretically run for whatever amount of time (hopefully we won't have any governments that bad).

Tell ya what - I'll hold off posting this until we get the offices nailed down. Based on that, changes will be made and posted.

If you're the only one putting out ideas and pushing a concept, put up a full proposed poll (similar to this), and wait for a day or two for comments. If there are other proponents that also put out full proposals, we can poll the various options, and see what people like. Either way, we need to get the detailed proposals done soon so we can choose among them. Assume that I'll have a minimalist government proposal up later tonight.

Right now, the lack of government structure (save for the Judiciary, specified in the Constitution) is our biggest holding point. That must get done soon.

-- Ravensfire

I propose that the initiative be amended so that terms run for up to 30 days, which is essentially a month

I disagree. By doing it every 30 days you'll just add confusion to an already chaotic game. By stating its the 1st of the month citizens tend to remember when a term starts/ends. Doing it every 30 days will bring the confusion of when the term starts/ends and the questions that go with. Leave it the way it is. There's no reason to confuse things any more than they already will be.

The only problem I see is that it the term runs "from the first of the month to the last day." If any of the parliamentary layouts I proposed are passed (and I feel that the nonpartisan, unicameral one is quite strong, as it deviates from the traditions only in a few areas), new elections could theoretically happen at any time. I propose that the initiative be amended so that terms run for up to 30 days, which is essentially a month, except for elections of the Cabinet, which could theoretically run for whatever amount of time (hopefully we won't have any governments that bad).

The Constitution, as ratified, requires terms with a predetermined ending.

Article D - Elections
  1. Terms of service of all elected and appointed offices shall be determined in advance of the beginning of such term, as further defined by law.

agreed donsig

No citizen can be elected to the same office in more than two consecutive terms.

How come? If someone's doing a good job, why should they have to step down, just because they've been doing a good job for a long time?

How come? If someone's doing a good job, why should they have to step down, just because they've been doing a good job for a long time?
Hit the link referenced in the main post.

-- Ravensfire

well i thought one month was long enough.. i wouldnt like to see someone in power for 50 days because of a technicality

What about the end of the next month if there are fewer than 14 days remaining in the month as of when the game starts, otherwise the end of the start month?

That way if we kick off elections on or before Feb 20 we get slightly more than a month, between Feb 21 and March 7 we get less than a month.

(elections Feb 20th = start on March 1st -- if we need a table, one can be generated)

Keep it as one month, and if someone takes office in the middle of the term, we don't count it if their time in office is less than 15 days and we do count it if they are in office more than 15 days. Basically, the same as the US presidents being able to hold the office for 2.5 terms.

good ideas.. i agree

If a lot of active citizens/players these rules are good; if just few, these rules

are bad.

Best regards,

Citizen's Initiative - The Election Act of 4000 BC

Conducting the affairs of Government in our system requires periodic elections. These elections allow citizen to chose their leaders based on their personalities, views and stated goals.

Terms of office will run from the first of the month to the last day of the same month. If the first term starts in the middle of a month, that term will not end until the last day of the subsequent month. No citizen can be elected to the same office in more than two consecutive terms.

Elections will be conducted by the official in charge of Election (called the EO). The EO will create nomination threads for each elected office, plus the Designated Player poll, 7 days prior to the end of the current term. After 3 days, the EO will post voting polls, one for each contested office, listing each candidate that has accepted their nomination in order of acceptance. These polls will be marked private, single-choice, and will be set to expire in 3 days.

Nominations may be made by any citizen, for any citizen (including self-nominations) by posting in the Nomination thread for the office. Nominations may also be made via PM or posting an Election Office thread prior to the start of the election cycle if the citizen will be unavailable at that time. Citizens can only accept one nomination for an elected office. Nominations may be accepted by a post by the citizen in the nomination thread or by notifying the EO via PM or post in an Election Office thread. If they accept more than one nomination, the EO will try to determine which one is their preference. If the EO cannot, they will assume the most recent acceptance takes precendence. The Designated Player pool is not considered an elected office.

The citizen recieving the most votes at the conclusion of the election poll is deemed the winner of that election. In the event that more than one citizen is tied for the most votes, a runoff election poll, listing all citizen's tied for the most votes, will be conducted. This poll will be marked private, single-choice, and will be set to expire in 2 days. This process will be repeated until one citizen recieves the most votes. The election cycle will conclude at the end of the final election poll.

A citizen can withdraw from an election at any time. This is an irreversible choice. When they do so, their name, and number of votes, is ignored for determining the winner of the election and for any runoffs.

The Designated Player poll will list all citizens that accepted their nomination. This poll will be marked private, multiple choice and will be set to expire in three days. All citizens receiving the required support will be considered to be the Designated Player pool for that term.

-------------
Changelog

v.0
  • Initial Post
v.1
  • Clarified length of term
  • Clarified nomination process
  • Spelled out end of election cycle
-------------
NOTES
Does NOT conform with Parliamentary Government. If we choose that as our form of Government, we'll need to revamp this. I quite honestly am not sure of how certain things work within that government form, so I don't feel comfortable crafting the initiative.

-- Ravensfire

I don't know if people get this picky, but would a term end at midnight of the last day of the month in some particular time zone? You could have a lame duck making one last surge or something. ;-)

Top Bottom