Octopus Overlords Info

jimi12

Half Jedi
"Danalin- Angel of the Water (Water), worshipped indirectly by the Octopus Overlords (Danalin is sleeping and his nightmares are being influenced by Hastur and other demons under Mammon's control)"

Ive always wondered why is Danalin sleeping, who is Hastur, and why is Mammon doing that to him? There should be some sort of "Awaken Danalin" thing for OO to help reguvenate their slumbering god. Just a thought.

Seek out the literary works of H.P. Lovecraft (and various others inspired by him) to see why waking Dan is probably a Bad idea, why you do Not want to know much about Hastur, and why such enquiries are dangerous. :)

Well i view each religion as having their own agenda. AV wants to bring hell, Order wants to exterminate demons, fellowship wants to preserve the forests... OO seemed like it is lacking that which would make sense if their god is asleep.

There is very little sense to be found in the actions of OO followers. Their deities are fearsomely malevolent and frequently insane. The followers act out of misguided greed, their own insanity, or compulsion which might include the first two. The 'agenda', if there is one, would be nearly incomprehensible and no good can come of it, but there is a big clue in the term Overlords.

The story is even foggy to me, Id have to search through my old modules to see if I could find it. The short of it is that Danalin lost hope. There was a race of people that were special to him, beings like elves but who breathed water as easily as air. They were beautiful and peaceful creatures, withdrawn from the world as Danalin has always been.

During the Age of Dragons Danalin was one of the most passive gods, he would freely enter creation and roam the seas, visit his creations and tend to the tides and storms and depths that were his providence. He didn't war frequently with other gods even in that violent time, and the other gods largely left him alone.

He held little opinion either way on the compact, but he agreed to it and withdrew from creation. It applied to others more than to him.

His people missed their lord, but as seperate as the oceans made the lands from each other, those beneath them are even more apart. And they made no attempt to change this. Eventually though, war came for them.

I dont remember what the threat was. But there was one man from that race who set out to find some help, who traveled the world while his people fought a losing war. Hoping to gather the support of another army or gain enough skill at magic to save his people.

He met the people of other gods in his travels, spoke with Cassiel and learned about the position the world is in. Fought beside the Umberguard of Kilmorph, fulfilled the prophecy of the Amurites and turned their desert home into a lush grassland.

In time he stood before a gate to Danalin's realm and had the option to allow Danalin into the world, to provide the power to save his people. But he also knew the cost of it, that the world would be returned to the godswar. So he closed the gate and died in his peoples last stand.

At that Danalin wept, his tears becoming silver drops that follow the moon through the night sky. Then he fell asleep, no longer caring about the state of creation.

Each god has a curator, or archangel. For Mammon that is Hastur. When Danalin fell asleep Mammon sent Hastur to gain access to him, to attempt to subjugate him. Even in slumber a god is not weak and Danalin isnt controlled by Hastur, but is effected by him.

The old religion that worshipped Danalin is gone, abandoned by its god. But during the Age of Rebirth a new religion began, dedicated to the seas. The prayers heard by Danalin and answered by his power are malformed and chaotic. This is still the power of the cool ocean depths and the endless waters, but Hastur has twisted it. It is not his to control, but he chases the dreams into dark places.

O ok, i was always confused as to what OO really was. i think it would be really cool if there was a way to vanquish hastur or awaken or gain access to danalin and therefore changing the alignment and effects of the religion. kind of a religious transformation.

Incidently each god has an archangel (I was never consistent about what I called this second angel, I really should define a name for it) that is responsible for their most important tasks. This beings were often more active than the gods and had more interaction with humanity, though the compact also bared them from entering creation. Many are already known.

Sabathiel is the archangel of Junil, Cernunnos was the archangel of Sucellus and eventually became a god himself (and is worshipped by the Fellowship of Leaves), Cassiel was the archangel of Dagda and abandoned him after fighting over the compact, Basium was the Archangel of Arawn and abandoned him at the compact as well.

But there are others we haven't covered yet. Brigit the Shining was Bhalls archangel, she remained holy and lead an small group against Bhall when she fell. Her army was quickly defeated but Bhall couldn't bring herself to kill her most beautiful creation. Instead she trapped Brigit within the northern wastes, far from where any creature of fire could reach her. The strange colors in the northern sky are said to be the reflection of Brigits light. Some say Bhalls mercy towards Brigit is evidence that some good part of her remains to be redeemed

Taranis the Unchanging, Splendor (mentioned briefly in one of the peda entries), Baelious, Maponos the Young, Iaegus, and many more. There was this ancient tower in Erebus, poking out of the mists that stole memories. The players found it after getting horribly lost and found a cracked painting inside that showed the archangels waiting outside of the seven fir's, where inside the gods negotiated the compact. That moment always stuck me as monumental, these amazing characters sitting and waiting on what would be decided. Basium hating the truce that was called for this, eager to get back to war. Cassiel who wanted even more withdrawal than the compact dictated. For some reason that moment always stuck out so strongly to me.

Maybe they should be listed as each other's enemies. Also, Amurites and Illians should be enemies-Mulcorn probably doesn't like the man who killed him.

Yay, more lore from the D&D campaign! This is wonderful, thanks Kael!

I hadn't realized before, but Cassiel and Basium probably hold each other in a good deal of contempt, even though they are both opposed to the goals of the evil gods.

Yeah, from Cassiel's perspective there is little difference between Basium and Hyborem.

It`s very interesting ;)
Perhaps you could save this lore somewhere and make it public with the mod or at least here in the Forum as a sticky or something, so people can get deeper into the stuff without having to ask and wait
and without you having to post it over and over again for only some ;)
Or perhaps in the wiki if not in the mod?

Say, that gives me an idea. If the overlords themselves are an illusion, just dreams produced by Hastur, how about a quest in Shadow or Ice to crash Hastur's party?

<snip> so people can get deeper into the stuff without having to ask and wait

Wiki is meant to be easy to add to, or is the privelege to add an article restricted (I haven't tried yet) ? If it is open, just cut and paste, and viola! :)

I've always liked the word "Principality", which also just happens to be the order of angels above archangels in that celestial hierarchy... perhaps considering borrowing some terms from there to clarify things might be a good idea?

Say, as an example with four classes of angels:
Angel: Any being originating in or having transferred to a heavenly realm, excepting only gods. Good people may become angels after death. The opposite to demons.

Archangel: Any angel in a position of authority: Everything between regular angels and right up to (but not including) the gods. Includes principalities and dominions.

Principality: The greatest archangel of a god, often seen as a second-in-command of sorts. Example: Sabathiel.

Dominion: An archangel of power equal to or greater than a principality, but not currently in the service of a god. Almost always a former principality. Examples: Cassiel, Basium, Brigit, Cernunnos before his ascent to godhood.

It`s very interesting ;)
Perhaps you could save this lore somewhere and make it public with the mod or at least here in the Forum as a sticky or something, so people can get deeper into the stuff without having to ask and wait

Yeah, thats a good idea to start adding stuff like this to the wiki. If for no other reason than to give the writing team a common place to go pull ideas from.

Wiki is meant to be easy to add to, or is the privelege to add an article restricted (I haven't tried yet) ? If it is open, just cut and paste, and viola! :)

Everyone can. That is whe whole idea of wiki, isn't it? That anyone can contribute. And the more people actually contributing to it, the more updated it is.

I don't mean to be a boob here, but is there any plan to change the name of the OO to something more serious. I think it is just the alliteration that bugs me, but it really does.

Top Bottom