G-Major 9: February Vanilla/Warlords Combo

Can you elaborate on that ori? Not sure how you would ensure an order that allows signing with all.

Usually you need somewhat +8 to sign def pact. That means start with one that has lowest +score. Everyone else will get -1. But their scores are +8 even after that move. Then get second lowest. Now rest have -2 but still over +8. Rinse and repeat. Actually you dont need to sign pacts with everyone. Just make sure you have better attitude than your opp has. If you manage to get def pact with one you have lowest attitude you can have them all. Def pact is easiest way to pull you to victory concerning votes at least.

-Dracandross

Deciding to switch from Gandhi to Saladin as one of the opponents seems to have done the trick vis-a-vis getting the UN built. (Thanks to uwsublime for that).

In my second attempt, the UN wasn´t built until 1700 AD - unfortunately, not by me though. This was largely due to a poor choice of start location which meant that I wasn´t really in with a realistic shout.

In my third attempt, I did manage to get the UN built around 1589. Unfortunately, I wasn´t able to secure the diplomatic victory vote. My usual "ostrich" diplomatic strategy of a) not having a religion and b) not trading with any one so as to avoid messages of the type "-4 I´m going to punch your lights out because you are trading with that evil so-and-so x" doesn´t really work on Diety.

Clearly I should have paid more attention to the advice about managing relations. Wife, kids, and (now) boss permitting, I´m going to try to squeeze in one last go today. (I originally thought the deadline was 6th March, but my wife, kids and boss were all dismayed to learn that it was the 9th!)

(I originally thought the deadline was 6th March, but my wife, kids and boss were all dismayed to learn that it was the 9th!)
if there was a subcategory in HoF for "phrase that made me giggle the most" you would definitely be in the running! i look forward to seeing all of the results.

good luck to all! my attempts at this gauntlet have had an odd side-effect ... i am (as i expected) more frightened of deity than ever, but have a (temporary?) addiction to OCC. :hmm:

Tried 2 times, first Asoka beaten me to Liber, second I was first at Liber and Physics, but due to low resources could get nothing for trade, so health cut me at 11-12 pop. In 750AD I was half through Electricity and had good relations with all support targets, but won't be able to beat 1200, I fear, so will spend time more productively - sleeping. Maybe look at it again next day. Pity, cuz this competition has participation and skill level unusual for high-level Majors.

P.S.: reading your notes I think maybe I shouldn't have started with just 1 gold and 1 rice.

I lied. As I was putting away the CD, I got an idea I wanted to try out...

770 AD victory!

Too bad I figured out the correct plan on the last day of the gauntlet. No time to optimize. It was, of course, a multi-city approach. I'm sad that OCC was not the way to go, and I'm sorry for leading everyone down the wrong path. But isn't OCC fun! If anyone is still trying OCC, here's my biggest (secret?) tip:

You don't need to struggle or pray for a Great Engineer. I avoid this by simply buying the UN in 1 turn. It takes about 16,000 - 17,000 gold. It's sometimes a close call, but I usually get the cash in time.

My 770 AD was accepted, but I don't see it on the gauntlet table. I see my other score so I am logged in.

@WT: That wasn't a glitch, the submission came in after the technical cutoff. The actual cutoff is whenever I get around to updating, at which point I refresh the Gauntlet clock.

I went ahead and refreshed it tonight it though and saw your submission in there.

I managed to squeeze in two last attempts before what I thought was the cut-off, only to discover that submissions have closed! I thought the cut-off was midnight at the international date line?

Anyhow, not that it matters. My fourth and fifth attempts ended in defeat as well.

In both games I managed to build the UN, but I could never swing the vote my way.

It was always the case that I needed all the other civs (bar my rival) to vote for me; but it was always the case that someone was having a grump because I had traded with their worst enemies. If I tried to remedy this, their "worst enemy" would go all stroppy.

In both cases Saladin seemed to be the root of the problem. I wonder if Washington wouldn´t have been a better choice after all, since he can be swung by the US civic?

I've never gotten a "traded with enemy" negative. I also never use Saladin and usually use Washington.

In my last game I declared war on Asoka. Frederick and Elizabeth were the only two that kept the "you declared war on our friend" negative the whole game. Everyone else forgot quickly. Anyone know the formula for that?

RE: cut-off
I recall the cut-off times were usually sometime the day after. It was surprising to see anything today before midnight. Normally I'd squeeze in a few before noon tomorrow.

I always refresh the cutoff when I update, so the last minute submissions get included.

Moderator Action: The Gauntlet has concluded:
Congratulations to the victors:
Rank Player Date Score
1 WastinTime 770 AD 99008
2 Bram 1160 AD 48110
3 jesusin 1208 AD 40940
4 AAA 1232 AD 65342
5 Dracandross 1256 AD 43392
6 uwsublime 1304 AD 80440
7 Planitia 1352 AD 33749
8 ori 1448 AD 47356
9 Ljdjr 1616 AD 22975
10 archphoenix 1628 AD 21363
11 azylic 1820 AD 13377

The 1190 AD quick speed high score will be beaten, but I'll be shocked if someone breaks 1000 AD as jesusin predicts.

I am not shocked at all. Congratulations, WastinTime! I hope you disclose your secret sometime.

Congratulations to all victors too, you don't get a Deity victory every day!

Outstanding! Congrats!

WT: I was pretty sure 800AD could be obtained with Huayna. I haven't had time to give it a lot of goes, but looks like you made it! I'm guessing you are handling the mid game much better then I am. I'm able to get really great starts but somehow I can't keep my economy high enough to have a good mid game due to the multi-city (very early) start. Congrats on a great time - I knew OCC wouldn't be the optimal strategy the first time I tried w/o checking that box. Glad I wasn't the only one trying it.

I am not shocked at all. Congratulations, WastinTime! I hope you disclose your secret sometime.

I'd still be shocked if someone broke 1000 with OCC--which is what I was referring to. Multi-city is a whole different game. I'm not sure I have the secrets all figured out yet. I only tried one game. I'll do a writeup that walks through it and post the link here.

The short version is:
Leader: Capac
High Inland Sea, 7 opponents.
Captured only 2 cities.
Built 3 settlers (so 6 cities total)
Chop out the libs/Univ's/Oxford by around 250 BC. I was surprised that I could get Oxford before OCC does. It was obvious by then that this finish date would blow away OCC.

This is interesting. Do you ever use the whip?

Many people praise the whip. I've tried it a few times in the past, but cannot justify it most of the time. I can never seem to sacrifice population for a few hammers. Certainly not on the OCC games. I also don't like to waste a turn in anarchy. On Epic speed, you can't just throw in slavery for free. It costs a turn. When I played a spiritual leader on minor gauntlet 15, I used the whip.

I lied. As I was putting away the CD, I got an idea I wanted to try out...

770 AD victory!

Too bad I figured out the correct plan on the last day of the gauntlet. No time to optimize. It was, of course, a multi-city approach. I'm sad that OCC was not the way to go, and I'm sorry for leading everyone down the wrong path. But isn't OCC fun!

Well that was clear, at least for me. But at least I suck at inca rush. And its alot harder as theres more chances to get messed up even with decent start. Besides I like peaceful strats. I tried one on lords Vicy for extrafast settlers. Got 6 cities but start loc wasnt too good. Besides I think that you cant incarush on quick so easily.

Congrats! (and eww seems like Ive gotta play just quick to avoid competition at incarush on deity. Its just as boring as future spaceraces that you need inca to do decent deity scores. Next highdif gautlets should have civ any non-inca on preq even if incas are not on opp list.)

-Dracandross

I only took 2 cities with Capac. I woulda been fine with just 1 captured city. Maybe even better since the 2nd city was pretty far away and expensive to keep. You ought to be able to do that with any leader. If Capac weren't Financial, I'd definitely pick another leader. Sadly they put the only trait that really matters (Fin) with +100% against archer.

Top Bottom