Swapping Building Queue

TenthFret

Chieftain
I was wondering how to manipulate items within the city build queue.

I know how to add new items to the beginning or end of the queue, and also how to delete items, but wanted to be able to alternate working on partially built orders.

Specifically, recently I whipped production of something in a city and then choose to overflow the hammers into a worker. I then wanted to not produce the worker for a couple of turns to allow it the city to regrow so I chose to build a library.

Once the city regrew, I wanted to swap the library for the partially built (from overflow) worker but kept deleting the worker by accident :mad:

reload/rinse/repeat

I couldn't figure out how to wap to the worker without removing the library from the queue (and wasting the hammers invested)

Tried some searches and couldn't find reference to this, so I'm assuming I'm just :smoke:

Thanks

I was wondering how to manipulate items within the city build queue.

I know how to add new items to the beginning or end of the queue, and also how to delete items, but wanted to be able to alternate working on partially built orders.

Specifically, recently I whipped production of something in a city and then choose to overflow the hammers into a worker. I then wanted to not produce the worker for a couple of turns to allow it the city to regrow so I chose to build a library.

Once the city regrew, I wanted to swap the library for the partially built (from overflow) worker but kept deleting the worker by accident :mad:

reload/rinse/repeat

I couldn't figure out how to wap to the worker without removing the library from the queue (and wasting the hammers invested)

Tried some searches and couldn't find reference to this, so I'm assuming I'm just :smoke:

Thanks
removing the library from the queue doesn't waste the invested hammers
maybe that's the key to your problem ;)

I just use some mix of shift alt and ctrl + clicks until the quee is like i want it.

@cabert
so removing the library would move the invested hammers (in the library in this example) into the next build (the worker swap)??

what if I wanted to keep the progress of the build I was working on (if it was wonder perhaps)

I was under the impression that switching to something else would cause the saved production on the unfinished building to decay over time. Same situation if you switch techs (and don't switch back quickly enough). I think this only happens after a considerable amount of turns, however.

I was under the impression that switching to something else would cause the saved production on the unfinished building to decay over time.

i remember reading somewhere that it's 10 turns before decay kicks in for units, and 50 for buildings. longer for wonders. that probably is for normal speed and might adjust for other game speeds. but it is worth in keeping in mind, particularly that units suffer from this faster than buildings do.

i remember reading somewhere that it's 10 turns before decay kicks in for units, and 50 for buildings. longer for wonders. that probably is for normal speed and might adjust for other game speeds. but it is worth in keeping in mind, particularly that units suffer from this faster than buildings do.

I somehow recall reading the same.

At any rate, there is definitely some decay involved. I have noticed it.

From my limited testing it didn't seem that the number of turns until hammer decay changed on epic or marathon(or even custom game speeds that are even more epic in nature).

I thought I might be able to get around this by switching back to something right before decay set in and then switch back after I had put a turns worth of production in but the game seems to remember how many turns something has sat in the queue without hammers going in regardless of whether the turns were consecutive or not. So on marathon it can sometimes be difficult to manage queue swapping without encountering hammer decay and some tricks about queuing up a bunch of prefinished units right before a switch to vassalage and theocracy don't work out quite as well.

Looking at the xml files, I didn't see an obvious way to scale the decay rate in there. Perhaps someone who is a little more experience with the xml can spot something that I didn't though.

From my limited testing it didn't seem that the number of turns until hammer decay changed on epic or marathon(or even custom game speeds that are even more epic in nature).

Decay doesn't scale in time or in degree - CvCity::doDecay. Meaning that the decay begins just as many turns into the build at any speed, and the amount of decay per turn is 1% of the hammers invested (rounded up) at all speeds.

Decay doesn't scale in time or in degree - CvCity::doDecay. Meaning that the decay begins just as many turns into the build at any speed, and the amount of decay per turn is 1% of the hammers invested (rounded up) at all speeds.
How many turns does it take for the 1% decay to start happening?

How many turns does it take for the 1% decay to start happening?

Correct answer already posted. BUILDING_PRODUCTION_DECAY_TIME ( = 50 turns ) for buildings, UNIT_PRODUCTION_DECAY_TIME ( = 10 turns ) for units. Answers found in GlobalDefines.xml (ie - that's the file to change if you want to mod this).

Oh, and I was insufficiently specific earlier. 1% per turn is for buildings; units decay at 2% per turn.

If I'm reading the code correctly, hammers invested in projects never decay.

Also, the unit you are building should never decay (there's branching logic to excuse whatever is currently on the queue from the decay check).

Correct answer already posted. BUILDING_PRODUCTION_DECAY_TIME ( = 50 turns ) for buildings, UNIT_PRODUCTION_DECAY_TIME ( = 10 turns ) for units. Answers found in GlobalDefines.xml (ie - that's the file to change if you want to mod this).

Oh, and I was insufficiently specific earlier. 1% per turn is for buildings; units decay at 2% per turn.

If I'm reading the code correctly, hammers invested in projects never decay.

Also, the unit you are building should never decay (there's branching logic to excuse whatever is currently on the queue from the decay check).
Thanks for the clarification.

Your last sentence partially answered by next question. If a building/unit is technically in the decay period, it will not decay if you've currently swapped back and are building it (you won't be adding hammers and having them decay at the same time). But when you say "currently on the queue" does that mean it's still listed on the build screen, or it has to be actively building? The first part would imply that you could save production indefinitely as long as you leave it listed on the queue, but never build it (always have it as the second thing listed in the build queue).

Any ideas how tech decay works?

But when you say "currently on the queue" does that mean it's still listed on the build screen, or it has to be actively building? The first part would imply that you could save production indefinitely as long as you leave it listed on the queue, but never build it (always have it as the second thing listed in the build queue).

Actively building. I should have written "head of the build queue".

Any ideas how tech decay works?

No. How confident are you that such a thing exists?

Not very, just something I read way back. I take it you didn't spot anything about this in the XML files?

Not in the XML files, nor in the C++ code either.

(The function for changing the amount of research added to a tech is easily found, but I didn't find any places where that function was called with a negative value. This suggests to me that research rot doesn't exist.)

On adding units to the queue and moving things in the queue around, CTRL-clicking on something moves it to the top of the queue, shift-click moves something to the bottom. Any other keyboard shortcuts for the queue I missed?

On adding units to the queue and moving things in the queue around, CTRL-clicking on something moves it to the top of the queue, shift-click moves something to the bottom. Any other keyboard shortcuts for the queue I missed?
ALT clicking makes the city build the unit indefinitely. A * will appear next to the name in the queue so you know. Note this doesn't seem to work with spies and missionaries since the number of units is limited. Still, this can be useful if you want lots of rifleman without always going back and adding more to the queue.

It works with spies and missionaries until the limit is reached. You can also Alt-Shift click to make indefinite amounts after everything above it in the queue is finished. If you already have something in the queue with an *, then it will alternate making those two units.

Top Bottom