G-Major 11

As you see many of my ideas are related to GA probability. Would you tell us how many GP were born in your game and how many of them were GA? That info could reinforce/disqualify many of my points.

Be aware! I'm only 3-d!)) I made a lot of mistakes and some things I did habitually... not according to the game logic. AAA was mach more consistent (logical) than me. So he wins 9 moves))) My map did non let me to built more than 7-8 towns in my cultural cities. AAA biult 12 towns in each cultural citiy!!! I built 18 mandirs (3x6). AAA - only 10(!!!).

In my game was born 8 GA, 3GS, 2GM, 1GP. I did not build Academy. I spent 1GS to research education. Others GP was used to start 2 GAge + 1 by Tagh.

PS As you know, in AAA game was born 8GA, 3GM, 1GS.

There is a little trick I would like to share.
I never accept Hunting, Archery or HBR in trades.
Those are useless techs in a cultural game (except hunting if there are elephants...) and they count as much as any other tech in your WFTYABTA counters.
In one of my games everybody was willing to trade techs with me all game long, until Frederick went WFTYABTA at the very end.

good point about WFYABTA. not to disagree, just to add more information ... i don't worry about that as much in culture games (and OCC) since i know i'll be last in score, which is great news :)! sounds weird huh?

if you're in the bottom half of the scoreboard, the other leaders in the bottom half do not apply WFYABTA limits to you. that includes dead civs tho, so as people start getting killed off, the bottom half gets smaller. but as long as the others down there with me are alive and willing to trade at all (they might be annoyed, or they might have other reasons for not trading, such as a monopoly or building a wonder), they won't care how many techs i've traded for.

everything you get from them counts toward the limit that the top half still considers. and they do start applying WFYABTA if they move to the top half. and of course since they're in the bottom half, chances are they don't have the best techs out there. so i still don't bother with archery and the real junk. but i'm a bit more "yeah i'll take that, thanks" in the games where i know i'll be last place than i am in normal games.

so it sounds weird, but it can actually be an advantage to be low in score :)

friendly civs never apply the WFYABTA limit, yay!

friendly civs never apply the WFYABTA limit, yay!

- because of that I try to make all my neighbors Frendly to me and one to another. One civ, which is situated far from me, sometimes plays a role of an enemy country. When my neighbors and me are fighting with that civ, we are bringing together. This politics lets me to save Friendly relations after my friends accept Free Religin.

My fourth game, Eliz, Vanilla. 1547AD victory. 5 religions, 6 cities, all placed with hills, no slavery or rushbuying. 3 cottage cities, 1 FP, 2 aux. Slow start with rice+3gems, plus going after hinduism, meant late first Settler(1810BC) and no early wonders. 15GP, 1 sci for Acad, 1 art settled, rest bombs (2-2-9). Cottages: 26 in 1000AD, 10-14-11 at the end. NE 155AD. 200-100-100cpt in 500AD, 900-900-300cpt at the end. 10 Academies, 5-5-0, Hermitage in the 2nd city. I worker-stelaed once, then paid techs for paece when I got Alphabet.

I have learnt that hills must be considered when choosing city sites.

202 turns researching, 119 turns culture. Liberalism in 335AD, 100% culture in 500AD. I have come to realise that these two dates are irrelevant. At that time I have 0 cathedrals built and my cottages are young, so I get 4 times less culture than in the final turns. I lost 10 turns of reseach when I chose DivRi as my free tech and then researched Nationalism myself. But getting a fifth religion was a good choice, since I had the hammers for another set of religious buildings.

The important dates I would like to compare to other peoples games are these: 1st cathedral in 635AD, 6th cathedral in 995AD, 10th cathedral in 1274AD. Another thing I did to improve these dates at the cost of delaying research was not building libraries out of my capital, even in 32bpt cities. All hammers should be devoted to missionaries asap.

One thing I did right was building more workers. I usually have 1 worker per city, this time I had 8 workers for 6 cities. It wasn't too important for the city tiles, but it allowed me to start serious chopping in cathedral-building time, instead of the very end of the game.

I am satisfied with my result in this major. It's a pity I don't have the time to give Saladin an opportunity. I have learnt new things. I am eager to apply this new knowledge to Deity cultural games, but now it's time to try and finish my GOTM.

I have finished my last run, 1553 AD. It's no where near AAA's 1382AD and it's worst than my 1430AD. I wish there is enough time for another try. In my 1430AD, I got 14 GP (12 GA, 1 GP and 1 GM).

Urgh... I'm done too. Had a decent game going in spite of some bad luck (missed 3 wonders by 1, 2, and 4 turns :mad: ). Was still targeting early to mid 1400's... certainly better than my 1478 submission. I was clicking through to the end when Vicky decided she had enough of me... DOW in 1310. Stack of knights and maces against 1 Quechua per city defending. Game, set, match! :lol:

Good major, nice to see so much participation.

I was clicking through to the end when Vicky decided she had enough of me... DOW in 1310. Stack of knights and maces against 1 Quechua per city defending. Game, set, match! :lol:

methos did you read this??? i'm telling you, don't trust that vicky lady! poor the-hawk.

methos did you read this??? i'm telling you, don't trust that vicky lady! poor the-hawk.

even you have Friendly relations with your neighbours you must keep in mind that military weakness will provoke them to attack you. So you must keep at least 4-5 modern units in each border city. As a rule AI attacks you when you are at the straightaway.

DOW in 1310. Stack of knights and maces against 1 Quechua per city defending. Game, set, match! :lol: .

Wasn't there any hope?

When war comes so late a single Quechua is more than enough... I mean, revolt to slavery and rush troops like cracy, defend only your 3 legendary cities, get a peace treaty asap (gift cities, use 100% gold for a split second and offer a great sum in gpt..).

Also try to bring someone else to the war, that alone is enough if the enemy is very far in the map.

If Vicky was your neighbour you are probably doomed in spite of all previous suggestions... that means that you chose wrong the order of civs when you configured your game.

The-Hawk, I know you already know all that, but just for the record I think it is a good idea to list all tricks that can save the day.

Good major, nice to see so much participation.

Indeed!

If Vicky was your neighbour you are probably doomed in spite of all previous suggestions... that means that you chose wrong the order of civs when you configured your game.

is there a way to pick who'll be next to you by what order you enter them on the screen?

even you have Friendly relations with your neighbours you must keep in mind that military weakness will provoke them to attack you. So you must keep at least 4-5 modern units in each border city. As a rule AI attacks you when you are at the straightaway.

none will decide to declare while friendly, not even monty. there are some leaders who won't decide to declare at pleased. vicky is on the "will declare at pleased" list.

people get confused because the decision to declare war is made well before the war starts. if they already made the decision beforehand, and then you get up to friendly before they've declared, that's too late. once the decision is made, they go into preparation mode and they DoW no matter what when they're ready. they don't check the relationship again at that point, they just start beating you up. so you will have cases of "so-and-so declared war on me but we were friendly", that's why. some people get that and think "grrrrr, if they declare on me even when we're friendly what's the point of getting to friendly?" but there really is a benefit.

once you've been friendly for a while, or pleased for a while with certain leaders, you're safe as far as he goes. your position on the power curve doesn't matter, weakness won't provoke that particular leader into attacking, once you've laid that groundwork. but it's not a free pass to just look at the diplo screen and think "oh, friendly, i can let my guard down" instantly, because the decision might have been made earlier. and you have to be sure to maintain good relations, send him flowers every once in a while and stuff. and there are still other guys out there to worry about of course!

that is why i well and truly hate victoria. i'm just sick of her nonsense by now. because there are leaders that won't declare at pleased, i just plain don't invite her to games where i don't want to go to war. and if i have to use more leaders than are on my "pick because they won't declare at pleased" list, i don't pick her just out of superstition and bitterness :lol:.

if in doubt at all, build some troops! being high on the power graph is almost never a bad thing. (if you're trying to sign a PA, you don't want to be #1 on the chart is the only exception i can think of *giggle*)

If Vicky was your neighbour ... that means that you chose wrong the order of civs when you configured your game.

I'm intrigued. I wondered whether the order mattered, but my games seemed to indicate not. What effect does the order of opponents have?

I'm intrigued. I wondered whether the order mattered, but my games seemed to indicate not. What effect does the order of opponents have?

- I believed that opponents order is no object. And my neighbours are a random value (order-insensitive). This is predicated upon my experience.

KMadCandy
Thanks for very usefull post!

if in doubt at all, build some troops! being high on the power graph is almost never a bad thing. (if you're trying to sign a PA, you don't want to be #1 on the chart is the only exception i can think of *giggle*)

- it's the gospel truth! Because relations is a changeable value: this move we are friendly, next move - we are pleased (after changing civic for free religion for example, or after imprudent trading with worst enemy)

When war comes so late a single Quechua is more than enough... I mean, revolt to slavery and rush troops like cracy...

Revolt to Nationhood too and draft units.

I thought order only mattered in Oasis.

is there a way to pick who'll be next to you by what order you enter them on the screen?

Well, I don't really go into this kind of outside-game staff.

But in my experience, there is a lot of consistency between games generated in the same MapFinder session (same order) while changing the order of only a couple of AIs consistently changes your neighbours.

If I recall correctly, the fisrt, third and last rivals have a big probability of being your neighbours in large map/std number of opponents.

Top Bottom