Darkness II: The Prophet's Candle

[size=+2]Update Zero[/size]
Years 2000 B.C.E to 1900 B.C.E
“It All Starts With A Bang”

Across the world, an explosion of unimaginable importance has begun to take place. Latter reffered to as 'awakenings', the people of these lands are doing just that- they are beginning to realize that there is more in life than thier current lots. In doing such, they are forming stronger bonds with their people, begining to inhabit dozens of cities, and serve their commander with undoubting loyalty. In the process, they are founding not only the first 'true' cities but also the first true states.

We begin our little trip in the site of one of the earliest of awakenings, perched in the mist of the bustling town of Harappa. The oddly-named city lies baking under the Indian Sun, the sun-baked brick walls giving off the musty odor. The town, under the command of its young ‘king’, has flourished in recent years as trade picks up with both distant and regional ports. Rumors even flout the palace of Harappan goods demanding outrageous prices in far off ports- much to the ‘king’s’ delight. In addition to the dramatic rise in goods, the Harappan king has taken command of many of his neighboring towns- greatly extending his own domain.

In recent time, the small city of Lothal has risen to prominence- in direct conflict with the Harappans. The great king Njkao, expressing his great distaste (and perhaps jealousy) at the Harappan dominance, took direct control of the situation and forbid everything Harappan in his own kingdom. As a result, the vast numbers of Harrapan nobles are urging their own king to deal with the situation before it

(+1 City Economy (Harrapa) for Harappa, +2 oddly located cities.)

If you travel great distance into the far east, performing a few twists in your path to head north, you might eventually stumble across the isolated capital of the Zhou dynasty. Zhengzhou, as the city is ornately called, stands as any other city on the Huang He. The Imperial Palace, a small but functioning center of government, stands with its thatched roof blending in with all the others. The Zhou, other than managing to function at a level unknown to other cultures, have come across some of the first plows in the world.

In addition to the Zhou, a smaller kingdom of Xi’an has risen to prominence on the Huang He. Little more than a smaller version of the Zhou, the Xi’an has nearly absorbed the entirety of Zhou culture.

(+1 Government Efficiency)

Far to the west, past our starting point in Harappa, lie the three kingdoms of Janja, Sadythi, and Byzantion. These three kingdoms, making up the densest part of the world, are constantly in various degrees of conflict with each other. Janja, led in the city of Janjarant, are the southern most of the three. These people, revoking the pantheon of Sadythian gods, have come to express their faith in the worth of the earth instead of a god. Naturalism has become a trendy faith in the southern regions, quickly becoming the dominate faith in the surrounding regions. In addition, trade flows up and down the rivers in Janja along with the wealth. The Janja have come to be in direct conflict with their northern neighbors, the Sadythi. In addition to revoking their gods, the Janja often support the Sadythian enemies.

The Sadythi are the largest of the three kingdoms, possessing the most land and population. Their people worship a number of gods, representing numerous issues such as Nobility, Glory, Evil, and Depravity. Their king is often seen in a weak light, falling to the pressure exhibited by the numerous cults for various demands and requests. The capital of Saydthi, Sithis, lies in the middle of the three kingdoms and benefits from the wealth flowing along the rivers. As of this wealth, Sithis has become a center of trade for the region. Finally, the Sadythi have excelled in an area few others have- military. In addition to possessing an infantry force rivaling their enemies, the Sadythians have the strongest cavalry force in the world. Their training is unequaled among their enemies, and this has often given them the needed edge to survive.

At the northern end of the group lies Byzantion, ruled from its namesake city. Unlike the other end of the kingdoms, Byzantion tends to remain more neutral in affairs with Sadythi and has prospered from such. While Byzantion isn’t an extraordinarily rich city, the city has large potential and could easily become one. The Byzantion army tends to avoid the Sadythians and prefers to expand peacefully into the north. Overall, Byzantion –while not as developed as its southern neighbos- holds just as much (if not more) potential. A strong king could easily bring the focus of the kingdoms away from the middle to the north.

(+ Janjarant Religious center, - 500 Janjarian infantry, + Sithis Trade center, +1 Army quality, -300 Sadythian infantry, -50 Sadythian cavalry.)

Heading west once more- performing the small crossing to the island- you’d reach the semi-barbaric chiefdom of Meralis. The island is ruled with an iron fist by its despot, Merlin, and very little time is devoted to anything other than plotting and carrying out raids- especially on its neighbor Phoenicia. These people, among the best seamen to sail yet, are centered around their namesake capital- a city, failing any other term, that is nothing more than a lawless orgy of thematic elements.

Meralis’s main victim tends to be the Phoenicians, with their wealthy city of Tyre and based on the sea banks across from it. These people, while failing to rival the naval abilities of the Meralisians, can be counted on to at least give the Meralisians a fair fight in their own waters. In addition, the Phoencians tend to be much better at conducting trade- restraining from cutting off their partner’s heads tends to have that effect.

(+ Meralis naval quality, +5 ships, +1 Special economy (1 turn)- 1 Government Efficiency, + Tyre Trade center)

As we near the end of our journey, we come across the kingdom of Egypt- the oldest kingdom existing at this day. Located roughly along the middle section of the Nile, the kingdom has expanded rapidly to incorporate a few neighboring towns. The Pharaoh, as the Egyptian king has come to call himself, rules over the daily life of his subjects. His people wake and praise their gods, work their fields while praying for a good flow during the summer season, and finally recover from their daily work at night. Already, the city of Thebes has become a hub for artistic activities, as numerous statues and temples have been built to praise their gods. Trade runs along the Nile, but there is not enough to build upon this at the time.

(+1 education, +religious following in neighboring lands)

Three Largest Cities in the World (1900 B.C.E)
1.) Sithis
2.) Harappa
3.) Meralis

Three Largest Religions in the World (1900 B.C.E)
1.) Naturalism
2.) Sadythian Polythesim
3.) Chinese Population

Three Largest States (1900 B.C.E)
1.) Sadythi
2.) Egypt
3.) Zhengzhou

New Developments
Various forms of monarchies (absolute, divine, etc) are now open. If you wish to switch your government to a monarchy, simply include it in your orders. For switching from despots to a monarchy, there will be no penalty.

Wow, I must say these rules look magnificient.

I will play a Migration, 2 questions though...

1)Do I have to start from a Gray Area?

2)Are the Americas off limits?

All migrations MUST start off a grey zone! Either dark or light, but it must start there! The grey zones will expand over time, and most of the world (including parts of America) will be opened up in the max of four to five turns.

In addition, I think the rules are very confusing. I'm working over time to redo them all and clarify the confusing issues. if you have a question, you can ask it wherever you wish. Sorry.

@Carmen- if you're not going to pay attention to the rules, please don't even start. If the case is (rarely) that you didn't realize that you have to start in a grey zone, then forgive my harsh tone. But as my judgement, you're incrediably annoying in that sense when it comes to rules, I'll keep my tone. Timor will be either four-five turns.

@Toltec: Welcome! Not sure if I've seen you before, but I congradulate you on being one of the few people to actually keep to the rules :). YES! I SEE YOU PEOPLE! Stop trying to sneak things past me!

@Yurope- Welcome! Congradulations of choosing the fastest method to kill your social life ;]. Good luck on staying out of other neses ;].

@North King (and other people)- Despite cutting the starting update off earlier, Nk managed to get in due to the fact he choose the exact location I plotted a NPC. People who joined after my post at the top will be included in the next update.

@Tommy- Welcome back.

@Icarus- Nice to actually have something to say to you ;]. I've seen you're not that verbal in LINES, so it was nice to see you're still alive :).

@All- Sorry for the pitiful update. I apoligize if I misused the liberities given with the national descriptions, but I did my best to avoid writing a single sentance. If you don't like how things have gone, feel free to correct their paths in the next update.

To Sadythi
From Byzantion

Will you agree to an opening of a trade route between our two nations? Perhaps we can include a NAP pact as well, for 5 turns?

OOC: As I have several small dots in my nation, I can only assume are cities, do I recieve money for those or what?

Mohe Migration/Swissempire
Staring Location:Northern Edge of Dark Gray Manchuria
Government (Efficiency): Charismatic Despotism (Corrupt)
Army (Quality)/ Navy (Quality): 5000 Infantry, 400 Cavalry, 3000 peasents.
Religion: Shamanism
Economy: 0/0/2/2
Education: None
Projects:
Nation Background:The Mohe People might have been content to live in peace. But as the wave of civilization overtook them, the Saman saw a wave of violence and death approaching. As the Saman was the highest communicator with the spirit world and was the One most blessed with Knowledge, the Mohe people took their knowledge of plows and boats and began to migrate North towards Prosperity. They are a hardy people, who's leaders are the Saman, a High Shaman who achieves his position through Merit. They beleive the spirits bless the one who should be Saman with Oratorical and Martial Prowness. Saman's supposedly have the ability to commune with the Spirits of the World. They flee towards a fertile land that Saman says lies across the Winter Ocean.

Nice update! Could you perchance put in a little mention of the Merchant Guild in? Or was the mention of Sithis as a center of trade it?

EDIT: NM, saw your later post.

To: Great and Wise Leader of Byzantion

You may trade through our organization, as we already have routes and ports prepared for such events.

Alright Iggy- still glad to see you here. I'll be sure to include next update through :].

Unless, of course, everyone decides to destroy you :evil:.

Loverly update - please don't worry about not having enough to write about - blame us not yourself for that - looks good so far! :thumbsup:

"Kings stand alone amoung men"
-Cryssia, Sadythian Poet

The Cult of Dythocas currently held the Kings ear. Worshippers of the Gods of Glory; a veritable pantheon in itself; various Warrior Kings and Heros were worshipped with them also. The recent offer from Byzantion had reached the King, seeking to affirm their good relations and offer to reconcile their differences in hopes of sustaining the current peace.

This had caused a small upset within the Cult of Dythocas, as some argued that Glory was to be found in standing alone, Others in the final victory of the Sadythian peoples. The process versus the result. An old argument, plaguing most of the Cults.

And as had happend before and will continue unless something changes, the arguments grew more and more heated, knives were drawn and blood stained the lips of many. The situation was resolved and it was 'deceided' that the King would send an envoy to Byzantion to seek to reconcile their differences and agree to an 'Eternal Peace'.

Soon after the envoy was sent The Cult of Dythacos spent a large amount of time consolodating its position after its internal conflict. But is enemies had been utilising the time wisely.

------------

To Byzantion
From The Empire of Sadythi

We agree to your proposals, May peace reign eternal and the Gods bless your health.

OOC: Yes I'm creating internal conflict, its fun this way and I create some internal barriers, more realistic :p I plan to spin this off in a few hundred years into something different :p

"Dreams are seemingly a series of events over which you have little control, what I have experianced was much more profound,"
-King Ithaeur

Red Sand. Everywhere. The Palace was made of it. Shimmering in the noon heat. King Ithaeur looked over the city below him. Red Sand, and the dead. It began to rain, more blood from the sky. Ithaeur was thrown from his viewpoint, and fell into the sea of blood welling up below him, drowning, hapless.

Inhalation, Euphoria, Blackout.

He awoke to the Euphrates river overflowing, and washing the city and palace of Red Sand away, melting away. This time he stood upon the water, master of its flow. Another city arose before him, normal sand. Faceless peoples began to wander the streets, and Ithauer returned to his Palace and his view of the City.

Then faint hues of red began to appear in the sands of buildings, of the palace. The Wandering peoples began to disapear, crimson explosions on the sand from their departure. Again Blood fell from the sky, again he was flung from the viewpoint.

Inhalation, Euphoria, Blackout.

Again the city was rebuilt under Ithauers direction. Again the faceless began to wander the streets. And Ithauer returned to his viewpoint.

He turned around to face the force pushing from his position;

"No,"

He fell. Hapless to the pool of blood.

Inhalation, Euphoria, Consciousness.

"Sire? are you feeling well?" A servent with a candle. His King lying half-awake.

Alright Iggy- still glad to see you here. I'll be sure to include next update through :].

Unless, of course, everyone decides to destroy you :evil:.
Yeah, I don't think they have much of a good reason to do so. It would make them richer by lump sum, but it would hurt or even destroy the dominant institution of financial exchange in the area.

Oh, Dark? Could you put me into the update next turn as an organization which already existed this turn, but it hasn't yet expanded out of Mesopotamia? That's what I'd like.

Maybe this turn will be the one where I expand into Phonecia or something.
Reponse will be upcoming germanicus; I intend to use the little ounce of reality (some inner conflict due to various cult etc) to its full ability. :p

EDIT: Two things;

Nice update dark

WHAT THE HELL IS IGGY DOING? *confusion* :p
What I look like I'm doing.

A few things on Harappa:

Harappan Polytheism:
Supreme God of the Sky: Eacules
Supreme Goddess of Trade: Penelopia

Other God/Goddess’s:
Earth Goddess - Gia
God of the Hunt - Lamar
God of Music – Tempor
Goddess of Healing and Medicine - Althea
*more to come

Harappan Polytheism is centered on the Supreme God Eacules and Supreme Goddess Penelopia. These 2 are married to each other and rule the Heavens through strength and cunning (strength coming from Eacules and cunning coming from Penelopia). Though there are numerous God/Goddess for people to worship the supreme God Eacules and Supreme Goddess Penelopia have the largest following. In city of Harappa the Goddess Penelopia is Supreme. The Harappan people are a trading people primarily and the Goddess being know for her cunning makes this the ideal. The God Eacules is also worshipped highly in Harappa due to being known for his strength. The men of Harappa either worship him for strength in battle or for the strength to work from sun-up to sun-down though many who work the fields also worship the Goddess Gia since she is primarily known for being the Earth Goddess.

Religion is very important to the people of Harappa, they begin the day with a small prayer to the Gods (for things like a trade to go well, for strength in battle, for a successful harvest) and then at night before retiring they thank the Gods for what they have been given. Twice yearly there are feasts dedicated to the Gods (Spring and Fall Equinox). On these two days the citizens of Harappa join together for a large celebration with much drinking, dancing and merriment (incidentally many births happen around 9 months from each of these 2 celebrations). Typically these are partially funded by the city but everyone is supposed to contribute in their own way as an offering to the Gods. Different sacrifices are also made throughout the year; usually a small sacrifice is done by people on their name-day in the hope of another year of life and the betterment of their lives.

Harappa in General:
Most trade in Harrapa is overseen by the various Guilds. The Guilds are headed by women only since they are the ones granted the cunning from the Goddess Penelopia needed to run them successfully and with great profit. Meanwhile the matters of everyday life and more importantly war are the domain of men. The King is in charge but can be undermined by the Guilds if they don’t agree with his plans. Produce is the main trade good at this time but all sorts of things filter in and out of the Harappan trade network.

Excellent update Darkening.

Alrightie.

Yeah, I don't think they have much of a good reason to do so. It would make them richer by lump sum, but it would hurt or even destroy the dominant institution of financial exchange in the area.

Oh, Dark? Could you put me into the update next turn as an organization which already existed this turn, but it hasn't yet expanded out of Mesopotamia? That's what I'd like.

Maybe this turn will be the one where I expand into Phonecia or something.

I was kidding :). As the turn was only a hundred years, new players aren't even that far (if they are at all) behind. You can expand anywwhere you please, as long as that player doesn't order something that would prevent you.

@Kal- the more conflicts, the more fun :).

I'd prefer orders either today or tomrrow, so I can get back on track with the schedule. If I get three-fourths by tomorrow, I'll have it finished by Saturday :). Anyways, a little bit of advice: the turn will be 400 years, so things will move fast. In generla, it'd be better to give a basic overall plan of development that a detailed one. For instance, order which way expansion will be undertaken, how strong the religious followings should be (and whether or not they'd be supported by the royals), whether government evolves into monarchy, and whether you'd be more peaceful, passive, aggressive, or warmongering. You can add to those areas, but I suggest a few people have back up plans in case they're attacked :).

I'll be working on my orders this afternoon and have them out either tonight or tommorrow morning sometime most likely.

People, get you're orders in tonight! Lets crank out these first few updates. We're so early on your orders shouldn't take more than an hour tops, and if its that you're a slow typer!!

Several young teens surround a storyteller talking about the new king;
The people of Byzantion have finally elected a new King after overthrowing the old government of Despot. The new King is a warrior by profession, but a peacefull look inside. He rules with an iron fist, but he also rules with a wise mind. A dangerous combination some say, but nevertheless the people say he will the best king ever in Byzantion history. Oh I never got around to telling you his name did I? My brain is getting so old I keep forgetting. Where was I.... Oh yeah, this king was one of the best.....

"Hey, old man, what is his name?" shouted one of the teens.

... oh did I not tell you..... his name is.... his name is.... The old man fell alseep.

"This storyteller sucks, I am leaving. Come on boys!" The teens left the group to find out for themselves.

The dominant religion in Byzantion is Pagan worship. Our gods are as follows:
God of War: Akkad
Goddess of Love: Inanna
Goddess of Argriculture: Dionysus
God of Trade: Hermes

The One God to rule them all is Pegasus. (I realize this is herculas' horse, but I ran out of names.)

Byzantion is a nation that thrives on warfare, but looks for peace as a prize. When diplomacy fails, they eargely march on to war. They know that by expanding their nation they are able to increase the flow of money into the cities coffers and thus making themselves richer. They believe that the more times you make love the more the gods will favor your successes in battle, in trade deals, etc. They also believe that any nation that is able to take care of itself through their own production will come out as the master race, instead of those who rely on trade to get their food. Therefore they regularly pray to the Goddes Dionysus for plentifull harvest. And finally they know trading brings in wealth and goods that are not created in their nation from others, and eagerly open up trade routes with nations and will protect them to their fullest excent. If raiders attack their lanes, they will hunt them down and kill every last one even if they didnt take anything. This is the live of a Byzantion.

Finally those teen boys finally found a name, it is... King Tronius.

"Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective,"
-King Ithauer

It was King Ithauer who made the next move. Seeking to control the groups that babbeled for control around him, he sought to rest the principles of his rule on more than just Brutality and Fear. Attempting to introduce the concepts of personal, as well as Divine Glory, nobility to control the peoples, rather than its previous purpose of controlling The Despot.

Those who rule with the despots primary tools, are corrupted and not fit for this world. And as such the first parts of his dream became true. The City ran red with the blood of those who could not change, who would not and could not accept their position in the new system. And a new system of Honour, and personal glory sprang up, headed by the King who created the Cult of the Warrior. He the Head, the Officers the bearers of his Divine Word.

The Survivors; those few who were willing to accept the change in power; acted as one who had just lost power but had not been crushed completly. They plotted for an eventual return to power; King Ithauer could not destroy them completly, as he still had need of them. So he began the ritual Kings have had held from time Immorial, the carefull balancing of various factions, so none would prove to become too powerfull as to threaten him directly.

A Euphoria of Truth; that existed upon a Knife Edge.

OOC: Changing to a Absolute Monarchy; leaving room to go down to a Divine Monarchy if that is the way life takes me....

Top Bottom