NESLife attempt #3

really nice story, Iggy :D

@Mauritania, thanks for the info!

@Dis, those water bears are very interesting. I wonder if one could survive a trip to another planet through space :)

BTW, Im doing bits on the update in between working on my main NES. The next update will be within the next couple of days.

They'd burn up as they came down into the alien atmosphere.

Quite true ;).
Unless they were imbedded in some sort of rock, or coming down onto a wrold without much atmosphere. really though the only prospects for interplantary life (based on the model of earth life) is the transmission of bacteria and prebiotic material via meteorite.

Is this thread dead? :(

Daft did say an update was to come "within the next couple of days", so be patient. And never say the D-word! :hammer:

I'm actually anxiously awaiting this update :)

@ Mauritania, ive made ocean volcanic vents just for you :) – these are mineral rich, high temperature spots in the open ocean zone. In future id rather people didn’t evolve stuff for environments that don’t exist in the game yet :p

Era 7: The Terranic Era

This era is named after the large increase in coastal amphibious creatures that appeared at this time. Diversity was increasing in other areas.

New Evolutions: (not to scale!)

Winners:
Algaceae Dendrorethermis burst onto the scene, brining the height of cold-water plant evolution back into the warm shallows. It proved to be a generally superior plant to Bublimeon and began to replace it in many areas (but bublimeon still did quite well as it could grow quicker, especially with its handy buoyancy sacks).

The ancient Wavy and its growing extended family were all doing very well. This group remain the most numerous animals on the planet. None of the various evolutions could replace the simple and fast-growing wavy.

Threadcap caused a lot of problems for animal populations. This parasite wormed its way into the bodies of any animals that were weak, or just unlucky. Also notable for having the whole of its own whole body metamorphosise into simple parasitic tentacles once attached to a host, with its animal form just acting as a ‘carrier’ between hosts.

Photodid was by far the most efficient plant-eater on the planet, and there were lots of plants for it to find in both warm and cold shallows. Although lacking in senses, its claws and exoskeleton provided some protection. This species had a large and very comfortable population.

Doubler was in some ways the Photodid’s rival (continuing the rivalry of these two branches of evolution), but was more of a generalist. By doing lots of things reasonably well, it was thriving just as much as the Photodid (perhaps slightly less). It was a comparatively smart and social creature, these traits helped it to be opportunistic.

Omniwang (NPC evolution) was the first predator since the ancient (and extinct) iSucky to actually use eyesight, allowing it to hunt in its own way without trying to compete to much with the other predators. Evolving from the crawling Omnidids, it had developed a taste for flesh, especially young and vulnerable animals on the seafloor, which it ambushed with its basic eyesight and swimming ability. Although out-compteted in shallow waters, it retained its ancestor’s cold water resistance, and became the dominant predator in the colder regions.

Endangered Species:
Landibblo and Dibbler-Revolution are far to similar to each other, and one will have to go. The only real difference between them is the ancestor they derived from. Not only that, but they were competing with all the other scavengers on the beach (Esturytes and Tidalworms), which were superior to them in many respects, and already had established populations.

Red Hunter evolved live birth, the first creature to try this out. Red Hunter’s young started out more developed than any other creature. Yet this was a greater strain on the parent and resulted in fewer offspring. Although their sense of smell was good for tracking prey at long range, it was not terribly helpful for chasing fast-moving prey at close quarters, even with a faster metabolism. The electric-sensing Stalkrex did not have this problem, and together with its simpler body and reproduction methods, the more ancient predator was still out-competing the Red Hunter.

Extinctions:
Finner SkeloSpike, Green Hunter, Cephalion, Doodler, Nitros Ridgius, Omnidid, Ragcap, Défoncer le Charognard, Primitive Zeeboo, Spongita Plurus, Jelly Sponge, Tentalure: all replaced by their own evolutions.

Jim Morrison, out-competed for plankton and died out (sadly brining to an end the poison-seawormy line of evolution, though one branch survives in the form of the Super Coneworms)

Zones:
Warm Shallows:
Plant variety is increasing. The overall balance of creatures here has not changed very much, but the more advanced members of the Wavy-family are slowly taking over. There are more burrowing creatures on the sea floor. Things remain much more diverse here than any other part of the planet.

Cold Shallows:
Plantlife remains unchanged. But more predators are beginning to appear here.

Open Ocean:
Some predators are doing better in the open ocean. Diversity is increasing as several new lifeforms make a home on the deep ocean floor.

Land:
Diversity increases in both plant and animal life, perhaps too much to sustain for long. The first coastal predators have appeared. Coastal plants remain too well defended for much grazing.

Bonuses:
Plant award: Algaceae Dendrorethermis. Niklas gets +1 gene bonus.

Animal award: Photodid. Grombar +1 gene bonus.

Innovation award: Omicephalion. The Farow +1 gene bonus.

Survival award: Slimeotron Desolver is one of the joint-second oldest player species to survive (the first oldest being awarded last time). TerrisH +1 gene bonus.

Story Bonus: Lord Iggy +1 gene bonus.

Genes Appearing in this Era:
‘Parasitic Metamorphosis’ – the whole body of the animal/plant will break down into parasitical tendrils upon reaching a host. The body does not take nutrients itself, it just becomes a carrier for the parasitic parts, which will eventually spawn larvae from the dying host.
‘Stinging Tendrils’ – The idea is to sting, causing pain and shock, rather than kill target with poison etc. Less deadly, but cheaper and very irritating form of defence. Not great as an offensive weapon, as it doesn’t incapacitate the target (just makes it upset and wanting to flee).
’Heat Resistance’ – Parts of land can get dangerously hot, but water only gets pleasantly warm! Underwater, heat resistance is only useful for surviving near volcanic vents, which exist only in the deepest high-pressure areas of ocean.

Species Stats: (please check before evolving etc)
*Stats post link*

Note: Descriptions from older species have been shortened to make room. But mass extinction may still be needed at some point :evil:

Problems:
@ MjM, I kept Spongita Solis’s plankton eating, so it could function kinda like coral reef does in real life (as far as I know)
@ Disenfrancised, I simplified your creature a bit in the stats.

I never thought it was dead, just said I was looking forward to it :)

Yaay, hunters survived- and did about as well as expected. I think the next evolution may see them start to thrive!

Aww... no story bonuses anymore?

Great update regardless of that little detail!

EDIT: Think someone can update the evolution chart for the last two updates?

Lord Iggy said:
Aww... no story bonuses anymore?

I meant to include story bonus, forgot about that! Ive edited the update so you have a bonus now :)

What about a creature based story bonus?

Top Bottom