The terrain-unwise Romans

Aw, come on, isn't anyone going to post? ;)

Chapter 28 is finished, and so is America.

Chapter being written right now.

Chapter 28: America's Downfall

Caeser knew America would soon die, with 7 cities remaining, and what was left of it being taken by the Romans and Dutch. By now he started to make a count of how many cities were left.

In 1822, St. Louis came under attack. Caeser has for a long time wanted this city- it is built on the ruins of Yekaterinburg, a city that had been destroyed by Rome a thousand years ago. It seems only fair that the area should be Roman. Cavalry attacked. The first unit retreated. The second defeated one of the rifle garrisons, but the third did no better than the first. That was it- time to bring out the big guns. Hadrian attacked, and surprisingly, there was only one riflemen garrison left in the city. St. Louis had fallen. 6 cities left.

In the Barbarian Mountains near San Francisco and Pompeii, American Riflemen and Settlers had been, for a long time now, running around with no apparent goal. In 1823, they were finally killed by Dutch Cavalry. Well, the riflemen were killed. The Settlers were enslaved. And speaking of captured, Miami fell to Dutch forces soon after. 5 cities left. As such, America is increasingly desperate. In the fall of 1823, they signed peace with their long-time enemies, Babylon. So the two weakest nations in the world had signed peace. How very interesting. Not.

1824 came with a couple of discoveries. The first discovery were better methods of espionage, to learn more about nations in missions with new agents called spies.

"Let's start planting some of these spies immideately!" said Caeser.
"Not quite," said his domestic advisor, Constantine, "We first need to build an agency to train some spies."

The other discovery was of a strange substance that was spewing out of factories in Veii and Byzantium. It had a very odd effect on the environment it had appeared in, causing anything that came from the environment to be next to worthless, and causing death of wildlife there.

"Okay," said Caeser, "So how exactly do we get rid of this crap?"
"We can just get workers to clean it up," said Constantine.
"Okay then. Send workers to clean up this pollution immediately!"
Workers were then tasked to clean this pollution, although the certainly couldn't clean it instantly. It would take some time.

Meanwhile, Caeser decided to trade this new knowledge for some other knowledge. He got a new Chinese invention he had heard of. It was a device called rubber that sped up worker tasks, and allowed for the creation of better armor for foot soldiers, as well as more powerful artillery. It is no surprise that it was a big cost, then. Afterwards, Caeser searched for sources of rubber. There were only 10 in the world: 1, West of New York, the only one in his control, a 2nd and 3rd under Byzantine control, 2 more in the territory of the Netherlands, another 2 in the Mayan Empire, and the other 3 in Carthage. Egypt, America, China, and Babylon have no source of this powerful new invention.
He also traded Espionage to the Netherlands and Carthaginians for cash. He did not trade it to the other nations, however, because most of them had nothing to offer in return, with the exception of the Maya, who would only offer 10 gold pieces for it, suggesting that they had already done considerable research on the technology themselves. Sure enough, they had the technology in 2 years.

It would appear that a "city trade" occured between America and the Netherlands in 1825. As told by the captian of the RS Dominator, Dutch Cavalry killed a Longbowmen unit near Chicago, as well as the city's remaining riflemen garrison, and captured Chicago, but doing so left Miami largely undefended, and it was recaptured by American Cavalry.

Towards the end of the year, China had a great improvement. It now allowed all of its citizens to vote, instead of just the male non-foreigeners.

This showed great sorrow from other nations, including Rome, who had also been shooting for that goal but had been beaten, and now had nothing to switch their work to.

A Naval battle began in early 1826. On one side were Roman Privateers PS Nefarious and PS Lightning II. on the other side were the Egyptian Caravels ES Osiris, ES Cleopatra, and the Egyptian Galleon ES Shadow. The Lightning II met its doom at the hands of the Osiris, but weakened the ship severely. The Nefarious had more luck, and succeded in capturing the Cleopatra. Cleopatra was then directed to attack the Shadow, but, sadly, failed. The end result: Each side had one less ship than they started with. The heavily damaged ES Osiris and ES Shadow continued eastward, and the Nefarious retreated to Antium to be repaired.

Elsewhere, Hadrian's Army defeated a riflemen garrison at Boston, and Caeser has upgraded his cannons for the new artillery pieces. He will also upgrade his riflemen as soon as he has the money to do so.

Speaking of Boston, the attack on the city continued in 1828. Three Cavalry units charged. The first ran for their lives. The second and third defeated two of the city's riflemen garrisons, but another, newer garrison showed its face to defend Boston. It was easily defeated by Hadrian's Army. 4 cities left.

Despite China's reputation for rebuilding destroyed cities, they were beat to Corihuayrachina's rubble. Carthage founded Iol there in January of 1829.

China asked for a deal with Rome on April 1st, 1829. They asked for a trade of World Maps- plus Rome's knowledge of the Scientific Method. Caeser was rolling on the floor laughing his arse off at this proposal. "What makes you think I'd accept that?" he said, "You big fool! I do not have the want for that deal, and it greatly favors you!" Caeser left the meeting. Everyone laughed so much that they started saying the day was a day for fools. And thus, April 1st has now been forever "April Fools' Day" in honor of this "deal".

"Tell me your story again," said Caeser. He was talking to the captian of the RS Dominator about the battle of Miami.
"Well, this is what happened. I am sure you were aware of the situation in 1828- The Dutch had 6 Cavalry units attacking, and America had 1 Cavalry unit and 1 Longbowmen unit Defending the city."

"Well, obviously, they attacked. The first two Dutch Cavalry units died, but did great harm to the American Cavalry. The third killed the Longbowmen. The fourth, mysteriously, went East towards no apparent goal. The fifth defeated the remaining cavalry and captured Miami. The sixth went East, and, according to records from the Cavalry there, attacked Washington and defeated one of its Cavalry garrisons, and then was in turn defated by American Longbowmen. I also saw an American Riflemen unit defeat something- I beleive it to be a Dutch Cavalry unit."
"Thank you for your story," said Caeser, "Return to the Dominator now."
Well, That was another city down, 3 cities to go.

And speaking of Washington, Caeser tested the new artillery on the city. It was immensely successful. It revealed there were 7 riflemen garrisons in the city- and all but destroyed each one. However, it appeared that Rome would need some luck to be able to capture the city this turn. Although the first and second Cavalry attacks defeated two Riflemen garrisons, the third was a victory for America. Caeser could not take the city this year, and thus held off on all attacks. He also upgraded his footsoldiers, with the exception of the riflemen defending the artillery, who were upgraded in 1832.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but I have to go now and leave you all in suspense.
K, I'm back.

Early in 1831, Hannibal had a proposal for Caeser:

Caeser chose not to accept this, as he had a funny feeling that it would get him into a war with Egypt that he didn't want.

Meanwhile, the Dutch continued throwing Cavalry at American units. They avenged the Cavalry that ahd earlier been killed by American Longbowmen, and killed a Riflemen garrison at Washington.

An envoy approached Rome in October of 1831. It was from America, and they begged for peace. Yeah, right. They have too little to offer in return. Lincoln woke up the next morning to find the Envoy's head on his front porch.

Gotta go now. Again. Bye. Blame my brother.
I'm back. Again.

Speaking of Diplomacy, a certain embargo America had ran out in 1831 also:

As soon as the embargo Caeser had with Babylon against the Maya ended- In 1842, to be exact- they could trade freely again.

As somewhat-revenge for the envoy, American riflemen killed a heavily injured Roman Cavalry unit that was scouting American territory.

The Dutch constantly were sending ships through the waters near Sicily and SE of Antium. As such, the DS Orange was a tempting target for the PS Nefarious. They attacked- and lost. Rome needs a bigger navy.

It's a good thing, then, that the Roman army is pretty good. Artillery bombarded Washington- again- With similarly good results. Caeser likes these new artiellery, which allowed 4 Cavalry units to defeat 4 American Riflemen Garrisons in succesion. What was left of the one remaining garrison then was defeated by Hadrian's Army. Washington, the American capital, and often regarded as the greatest science city on earth thanks to its powerful observatory and vast library, had fallen.

Just as a Roman governor was instated in the city, Lincoln was to the northwest, in Philadelphia, finishing up the creation of the "temporary" government there. He had left Washington the moment the artillery had started firing.

Speaking of bombardment, from 1833 to 1835, Dutch frigates, as well as the RS Dominator, bombarded Philadelphia repetitively- and constantly missed their shots. This is somewhat infuriating. But, it didn't stop Hadrian's Army from killing one of Philadelphia's riflemen garrisons, and it didn't stop Dutch Cavalry from staving off an American Longbowmen attack.

The Dominator's bombardment had minor success in 1836, but not major success. But, who cares, 4 Cavalry charged at the city soon after, and although the first lost their battle, the second, third, and fourth all killed the 3 riflemen garrisons in Philadelphia, and the city fell.

It had originally been thought that there was no way Lincoln and the American government could escape, as they only had one city to go to- Vilcas- and to get there, they would have to go through the Roman Empire, or through the sea- and the harbor of Philadelphia was blockaded. However, they managed to escape north to the Byzantine city of Naissus, and hopped onto a boat to Constantinople. From there, they proceeded through the Byzantine Empire to get to Vilcas. Their final city is just begging to be taken- And the Dutch have been seen with ships- and probably Cavalry- in the area. Caeser thought Vilcas would fall in 1837- and yet, the Americans put up a strong defense of their civilization. In 1838, Caeser decided to get rid of them himself, but he needed a Right of Passage with the Byzantines for that. He had planned to get rid of them next, until he realized that he could just include an alliance vs. America in the deal and it would end as soon as it began.

However, Caeser noticed that there were few railroads in Byzantine territory. As such, he had to send a bunch of his workers to build a railroad to allow his troops to reach Vilcas' borders almost instantly. And, after some Artillery bombardment, A single Roman Cavalry unit was all that was needed to finish off the riflemen garrison of the city, and put a permanent end to America.

Caeser stepped back for a moment and looked at the end result. He had gained tremendous power and size from this war. He had gained a fair advancement in science. And with the capture of Vilcas, he had finished off his first nation. The revolts and unhappiness stopped in American cities, as there was no point in it any more.

And, lastly, for the first time in more than a half millenia...

...The world was at peace.

Last edited:
I believe that if you eliminate the nation you have an alliance against, your ally will get really mad, as if you had made peace with them. But I'm not entirely sure...

That's technically correct. If you and another civ have a common enemy, you'll get a boost in mood. When that enemy is gone, the boost disappears as well. So, they don't get mad because you destroyed them, they just aren;t happy anymore.

But you'll ruin your reputation if you break the deal before the 20 turns are up. There's an article in the war academy on the subject.

Chapter 29 now being written.

Chapter 29: The next target

But wait. Peace? This is supposed to be a lot of war, isn't it? Caeser has a new target: The Byzantine Empire. He wants Varna's Ivory back, and more.

But, he will first have to wait to get his troops and workers home, and wait for the Ivory deal he has with the Byzantines to run out- and that wouldn't happen until 1850.

In the meantime, he needs to get the earlier mentioned people home.

Which could be difficult. Theodora demands they leave.

Caeser said, "Fine, they'll go", but very few of them actually went to where he wanted them to go. Most went to Vilcas, and some- including Hadrian's army- went to the area East of Ollantaytambo. He will need to send Galleons up to Vilcas to get them home. And he only has 2. Well, he'll just do what he can. Did I mention Rome needs a bigger navy?

Speaking of Navy, a new ship was developed by Roman Scientists. It is clad with Iron to greatly improve defensive and offensive strength- at the cost of movement. It is has been dubbed, appropiately, the ironclad.

Also, the Romans seemed happy about the war being over and built a hallway to the right wing of the palace.

Diplomacy wpuld now ensue while he waited for the chance to declare war on the Byzantines. The first diplomatic meeting came in 1842, when Caeser ended the embargo he had against the Maya:

Although, it doesn't really matter, since no deals have yet been made with the Maya anyway.

1 year later, a deal he had with Carthage ran out, and was thus renewed:

And then came something in the field of espionage. A not very oblivious building had been built in Rome. However, what was going on inside it was oblivious- spies were being trained. The building was known only as the "Central Intellegence Agency", or CIA.

"Excellent!" said Caeser, "Let's plant spies immediately!"
"Not yet," said an advisor, "If they are discovered, it could mean war- and we don't want war right now, do we?"

And, well, other random news. The final "fill-in city", Hippo Regius, was built in the desert west of Sardica.

And then, finally, in 1850, the Ivory deal expired. But, Caeser still needs one turn to get ready, as his workers are not yet safe in Vilcas.

Speaking of Luxuries, 2 Luxury deals ran out the following year. One with China, a Saltpeter-for-silks deal, which was renewed, and one with the Netherlands, a Ivory-for-Incense deal, which was not, seeing as Ivory is just as good at keeping people happy as Incense, so Caeser will not renew the deal until Varna and/or Naissus (which also has Ivory) is captured.

And, speaking of China and the Dutch, the Chinese declared war on the Dutch not long after these deals were renegotiated.

This could be an interesting war. However, China would probably win since they're stronger (I know this because I'm average compared to the Dutch, and weak compared to China), and The Dutch have quite scattered military.

But, speaking of war, Rome was ready for their war with the Byzantines 1852. First, Caeser wondered if he could get Theodora to declare war on him. First, he asked her to remove her forces or declare war (she had a musketman in my territory), and she chose to remove.

Then, he chose to send a spy to Constantinople under a mysterious guise. If he wasn't caught, Rome has a spy. if he is, there's war. It's a win-win situation. Well, he wasn't caught. There is now an agent in Constantinople ready to do evil.

"Oh, to hell with it. Let's just declare war on them!" said Caeser. Soon after, war was declared.

Constantinople was target #1. After a worker nearby was captured, Artillery and the Dominator bombarded. They were successful- but they showed something bad. There were 9 Veteran units of Riflemen defending Constantinople. 9. That is most certainly overkill. Soon, there were 7, as Roman Cavalry defeated two of them, but this was followed by a loss and two retreats. It is certain that more troops- and more artillery- will be needed to take this city.

In the meantime, Hadrian might as well do something while he's trapped in Vilcas. He assaulted Machu Picchu, just to the North, and easily defeated the Riflemen and Spearmen defending the city.

Hadrian will continue to attack in the east, at Brusa and Ollantaytambo, whilst another assualt will take Varna and Caeserea. Then, they will assualt Smyrna. This city is desperately needed, as just to the south of it is one of the Byzantine rubber sources- the other is directly under Nicomedia- and the Byzantines do not yet know how to use it. These sources must be captured before they learn how to use it- or this war will take much longer.

Last edited:
Okay, here are some screenies from the game. First, the Victory Status Screen, and the Score, Power, and Culture Histographs. Obviously, I have some work to do:

Now, for the demographics, where I also have some work to do:

And, finally, the Byzantine troop counts. They have too many Riflemen. Also, at the bottom is the minimap and the military support thingy. Obviously, I can afford a larger military:

So, here's my to-do list:

1. Build Military.
2. Conquer Byzantines.
3. Build More Military.
4. Conquer rest of world.

The Byzantines still have spearmen:shake:

Indeed. Defeating their military should be easy.

It will only be hard if they get Rep Parts before I can get Smyrna and Nicomedia and they get Rifles, or the RNG decides to give them invinicble spears. Not likely, as Hadrian's Army took no Damage from killing the spear at Machu Picchu.

Whew, just read through the entire thing. HOW DARE YOU RAZE HOUSTON? If you're gonna raze it, can you at least replace it if you haven't done so already?

I think he's replaced Houston, but not on the exact same tile. I recall he placed it a bit up north so it's at a river?

landilot is almost right. Aurileianorum was built 1 tile SW of where Houston once was to be on a river. 1 tile North would have been in water. :p

I love building cities in the water!

:joke:

The Byzantines still have spearmen:shake:

If you think that's funny, just wait until you read the update! They're using WARRIORS now!! :rotfl:

A sneak preview of some things that happened in the update:

The Good:
-I have captured 4 more Byzantine cities, and the SoZ, which is pretty useless.
-I have another MGL!! :woohoo:
-I completely destroyed the two Rifle/LBM SoD's that the Byzantines threw at me with arty and Infantry. :D
-The Byzantines still lack Replaceable Parts.
-I built the ToE!

The Bad:
-Someone is shipping Saltpeter to the Byzantines, as they are building Cavalry. I am 99.9% sure it is the Maya. The Trade Route is currently being broken by bombardment...
-The Byzantines have a GA! :eek:

The Other:
-China and the Netherlands ended their war. China gained a little from it.

Chapter 30: New Technology- and More War

1853 was another one of those "Same old, Same old" years. A Luxury deal with China was renewed.

Another Embargo against Rome. Sigh. Rome wished that Egypt would stop signing these embargoes. They are high on Caeser's kill list.

The Byzantines made some very pathetic moves at this point. The Dromons they sent to bombard Philadelphia didn't do much, and it is a worthless target anyway.

Their riflemen had more luck. They killed one unit of Roman Cavalry near Constantinople, and forced another near Constantinople to retreat.

Meanwhile, China made their first successful move against The Netherlands and captured Zariqum, an ex-Babylonian city very near to Babylon.

1854 began with 4 discoveries. The first was of new methods of Business, to encourage Roman Businesses to expand, and get more money to Rome...

The second was of far greater importance, for it allowed the third and the fourth to happen. The scientist Charles Darwin had published a book called The Origin of Species, which detailed the Theory of Evolution that he had created, using the Scientific Method and things he had discovered on his many travels (Ironically, the real Origin of Species was published just 5 years after I built the wonder in the game...).

This encouraged others to use the scientific method to discover things that had such great importance. They did indeed, and by the end of the winter, two new technologies had been discovered. The first theorized that there are very small things called atoms that combine to create everything, and even they aren't the smallest things in the universe. The second, building upon it and elcetricity, had managed to create circuits to create electrical power for, well, just about anything. Who knows what this could lead to?

And speaking of the Scientific Method, Rome was still the sole owner of this technology. So, Caeser sold it to other nations in return for some gold, and some embargoes against the Byzantines. Caeser was very surprised that Egypt agreed to the embargo, seeing as Cleopatra had signed an embargo with the Byzantines against Rome, but hey? Who cares (Note: There may be some spoilers of what I did with regards to military this turn in the screenie)? The Maya and Babylonians were not traded these secrets, as they couldn't afford them. (The Maya have 0 gold, and are making 0 gold per turn- maybe less)

[NOTE FROM THE FUTURE: Your guess is as good as mine who I traded this to and what for. Probably everyone but the Byzantines, Babylonians, and Mayans, from the narration? So, Egypt, Carthage, Dutch, China? Not sure if everyone agreed to the embargoes or just some of them. Probably got lots of gold from everyone?]

Somewhere, a Roman Cavalry unit lost to an almost dead Byzantine Riflemen unit. Grr.

Cavalry at Varna had more luck, and killed one of the city's Riflemen garrisons.

Hadrian's Army had very, very poor luck at Brusa. They defeated a Riflemen garrison, but were injured so heavily that they then had to retreat to the relative safety of Machu Picchu.

To the north of Macchu Picchu, Infantry defeated a Byzantine Musketmen unit- with a lot of injuries.

In 1855, a lot of fighting happened. In the Strait of Hispalis, an unknown Privateer attacked the Dutch Frigate DS Explorer, and lost.
At Philadelphia, Dromons continued their bombardment.

At Vilcas, the earlier offensive with Infantry had left the city undefended. Inca Workers surrounded the city as a last-ditch effort. One of their groups was killed by Byzantine Cavalry. Luckily, Infantry managed to reinforce the city the next year. (Yes, I know, I kind of cheated here, :mischief: but you should see the cheats the RNG uses on me!)

The Byzantines now attacked military targets. Riflemen killed Roman Cavalry that had been trying to pillage the route to rubber at Smyrna, and Cavalry killed some Roman Cavalry near Varna. Worse, they sent a unit of Cavalry and a unit of Riflemen just north of Ollantaytambo, blocking the heavily injured Roman Infantry unit's way home. He must now go around them, delaying their return by two years. In 1856, they moved Southwest onto a Mountain.

Meanwhile, at Aurelianorum, the Byzantines had a massive force assembled. It composed of 9 Riflemen units and 5 Longbowmen Units, in two seperate stacks. The bigger of these stacks could reach the city the next year, and the smaller one could reach the city in 3 years. Only one Roman Infantry unit garrisoned the city, so others were moved out of other cities so that there were 5. However, this left 3 cities undefended, and the stacks would now redirect their attention at one of them: Pompeii.

Remeber the earlier mentioned Infantry on the mountain North-North East of Machu Picchu? Well, their return wasn't delayed. It was cancelled. 2 Byzantine Cavalry units attacked them, and while one was held off, the Infantry didn't have the strength to beat both of them. As for the riflemen, they went 100 miles north.

1858 came with great news. After an Artillery bombardment of Varna, the city's defenses were greatly weakened. The two riflemen garrisons and one Cavalry garrison were defeated by One unit of Infantry, and two of Cavalry. Varna had fallen, and with its fall, Machu Picchu and Vilcas were now linked up with the rest of the Roman Empire, and the Byzantines lost their source of Iron. And, lastly, the Artillery and Infantry can now be sent to aid the defense of Pompeii and Aurelianorum. They got there in 1862.

Varna was not the only city to fall that year. Hadrian's Army defeated the remaining two riflemen garrisons at Brusa, giving the Roman Empire yet another city.

Outside of any city, several battles took place. Between Infantry and Byzantine Riflemen, 2 Byzantine Riflemen units were lost and one Roman Infantry unit was lost. A Roman Cavalry lost to a Byzantine Cavalry. The PS Nefarious II Sank the DS Explorer. A Byzantine Dromon met a similar fate when attacked by the RS Dominator. Caeser does not know the names of any of the Byzantine Dromons, so he does not mention them. He does, However, know the names of the one Byzatine Caravel and the one Byzantine Galleon, the only non-Dromon ships in the Byzantine Navy, as reported by Agent Gold, the Roman spy in Constantinople. The Caravel is named BES Theodora, and the Galleon is named BES Invincible.

Roman forces were ready to attack again in 1860. Their target was Ollantaytambo, and the attackers were 3 Roman Cavakry units and Hadrian's Army. The 3 Roman Cavalry units attacked first- with the result of one loss, one retreat, and one win against Byzantine Riflemen garrisons. Hadrian was now ready to roll, and he defeated a Byzantine Riflemen unit and a Byzantine Cavalry unit at the city. And yet, a Byzantine Spearmen unit still stood to defend the city, and the army was to exhausted to attack it. (I hate spearmen...)

Meanwhile, the Dominator sank another Dromon near Constantinople.

Gotta go now. Rest to come later. Bye.

K, I'm Back.

In 1861, The Byzantines launched a small counter-attack, and killed one of the Cavalry units near Ollantaytambo with Riflemen. The other is the retreated one, that is heavily injured, has survived, for now. And it would prove to still be able to win battles.

Before then, in the Fall of 1861, China captured Yamama.

The Battle of Ollantaytambo resumed in 1862. The Byzantines had gotten another Riflemen garrison via rushing (I think) to the defense of the city. It was destroyed by Hadrian's Army, allowing the heavily injured Cavalry to take out the spearmen defending Ollantaytambo, and they miraculuously won. The city was captured, and so were workers present in the city.

At Pompeii, The Artillery arrived. 3 Infantry were defending Pompeii, 4 defending Aurelianorum, or maybe it was the other way around. Anyway, Artillery bombarded the Byzantine units and caused a lot of them to be greatly reduced in strength. Later bombardments would reduce them to 25% Strength. They now began to retreat.

Yeah, right. In 1864, Infantry attacked some of the almost-dead Longbowmen. The first unit lost thanks to the Longbowmen cheating, but the next 3 defeated 3 subsequent Byzantine Longbowmen units. Current Byzantine units in that area: 9 Riflemen, 2 Longbowmen.

Speaking of fighting, In the strait of Moscow, the Nefarious II sank the Dutch Frigate DS Arnhem. However, this battle would later prove to be a great error, because the Nefarious II was almost destroyed- and a good target.

OH, FOR THE LOVE OF FREAKING GOD!!!! GOTTA GO, AGAIN!!!!

I'm Back, again. If I'm interrupted by my Mom one more time before I finish, we'll have a new record.

The Byzantines lost a lot in 1866. Near Ollantaytambo, Hadrian's Army defeated 3 units of Byzantine Riflemen. Near Aurelianorum and Pompeii, Infantry defeated 6 units of Artillery-bombarded Byzantine Riflemen, and one of Byzantine Longbowmen. Remaining Byzantine unis in the area: 3 Riflemen, 1 Longbowmen. Also, the Roman Privateer PS Merciless sank a Byzantine Dromon near Vilcas.

Speaking of Privateers, remember how the Nefarious II's battle against the Arnhem was an error? Well, in 1867, it was sank near Philadelphia by a Byzantine Dromon. This would appear not to be a big deal, but it would soon be revealed that it was a very big deal.

In news of the Dutch-Chinese war, Chinese forces destroyed the ex-Arabic city of Anjar.

In 1868, it was learned why the Byzantine Dromon's victory had been a very bad thing. Workers that had been sent to build a railroad connecting Varna to Ollantaytambo were in range of Byzantine Cavalry, if there were any in Caeserea. Caeser had Agent Gold Investigate the city. He provided double bad news. Not only was a unit of Byzantine Cavalry in Caeserea, but the Dromon's victory had caused a golden age for the Byzantines.

This was very bad news. But would it stop Rome? No! It would just delay Rome.

This was proven in the mountains near Aurelianorum and Pompeii. Every remaining troop there was destroyed- at the cost of 4 infantry. (Curse the RNG.)

Elsewhere, yet another Dromon was sank by the Dominator, and two Byzantine Riflemen units were destroyed near Adrianople by Artillery and Cavalry.

The Byzantine counter-attack in 1869 was pathetic, and the one Byzantine Cavlry unit that attacked was owned by defending Roman Cavalry.

In news of the Dutch-Chinese war...

China gained some from the war. They gained 2 cities, and destroyed a third, but none of these cities, except for Yamama (Which has Gems) was really important to the Dutch.

In 1870, Rome appeared to be happy to be completely free of Byzantine military, as they built a second-floor left wing hallway on top of the first-floor left wing hallway.

And Roman troops were happy to keep it that way, with 3 Cavalry units destroying 3 Riflemen units, and Infantry attacking a unit of Musketmen. The attack, for some reason, lost to the musketmen, but the second attack defeated the "invincible" Byzantine Musketmen.

The Byzantines' only action in 1871 was to beg for peace.

"What, and let all the cities we gained revolt back to you? Not gonna happen!" was Caeser's response.

And the Byzantines were definately getting desperate, as they had deployed 2 units of Stone-Age WARRIORS to fight Rome. These were easily beaten by Roman Cavalry, and the leader of one of the Cavalry divisions, Germanicus, displayed such skill against them that he was promoted to great leader status.

Meanwhile, at Caeserea, Artillery bombarded from a mountain to the south of the city. Then, the Cavalry attacked. One unit defeated one Byzantine Riflemen garrison, and Hadrian's Army defeated the other garrison. Caeserea had fallen.

Speaking of Riflemen, another unit South of Constantinople was destroyed by Artillery and Infantry.

The Byzantines have 9 cities left, are behind in technology, and lack a native source of Saltpeter. The only nations who do have one are Rome, Egypt, and the Mayan Empire. It is obviously not Rome, and Egypt has an embargo against them. That leaves only the Mayans. Current military attempts are trying to destroy the roads surrounding Constantinople and then use the Dominator to blockade the one direction the city can be reached from the ocean, and the trade route will be cut off.

Last edited:
Random spam post so that people know the update is done. :D I really should stop doing these, I guess...

What's this? The Image limit is now 20? Cool! I can write longer chapters now! :woohoo:

If you think that's funny, just wait until you read the update! They're using WARRIORS now!! :rotfl:

I guess I have to give them even more shaking head smilies.:shake: :shake: :shake:

Nice update.

Heh, the Byzantines only got into their GA just now? :shakehead: :nono:

Take the Mayans out after you finished Byzantine. Or Egypt... but if I were you, I'd wait untill Tanks and Bombers to start another invasion. Or you might aswell not and just go for spacerace/diplo/20k.

danilot:

First, the :shake: smily is "shake" not "shakehead".

Yes, it would appear as if the Byzantines are just now in a golden age, although I find it odd that they are not getting a commerce bonus. Perhaps they are just mobilized? :confused:

Diplo is impossible because everyone hates me, and 20k is impossible because Constantinople currently has the highest culture in the world- and it doesn't even have 10k. It is also now a size 2 city thanks to the Fascist Byzantines' drafting and pop-rushing. I've just captured it in 1888, but with only 131 turns left in the game, I don't think I have enough time for 20k.

SS and Domination are my most likely victories, but I have a few monster AI's to take down. Egypt and Carthage are probably my next targets, but I'll wait for better ships, planes, and tanks. I might not even have to wait that long- I already have Refining (Plus 4 sources of Oil), and am 1 turn from Steel. Combustion, Mass Production, Flight, and Motorized Transportation are soon to follow. The Byzantines still have 7 cities left- 3 of which are on islands.

Anyway, Chapter 31 is now being written.

Chapter 31: The Walls of Constantinople

Agent Gold took a sip of beer. The Date was December 20, 1872. He was in one of Constantinople's many taverns. And there sure were "many"- the Fascist Byzantine government sure liked its alcohol. They were also very good at being ruthless- even to their own country. But that was no hindrance to the city. It was defended by a very large number of Riflemen, and it would be sure to keep the Romans out- for now at least. Some of the Roman troops were just itching to call the city's four great wonders their own. Walls and Guns couldn't protect the grandest, most culturous city in the world forever. In fact, it would only keep them out for 16 more years. Agent Gold hoped to be able to live long enough to see its fall. Spy business was tricky, although the assignments he'd gotten in the past- investigating cities- were not that dangerous. He just hoped that when he got more dangerous assignments, he'd be able to do them.

The Byzantines decided to continue their trade embargoes against Rome in 1873 and signed one with Babylon:

"Grr. I hate Embargoes. It's a good thing they don't sign one with anybody that it will hurt us to not be able to trade with them." Said Caeser.

Near Constantinople, a unit of Roman Cavalry was defeated by a unit of Byzantine Cavalry.

The RS Caeser, an Roman Ironclad currently located near Philadelphia, was sitting around on July 17, 1873, waiting for further orders. Then they saw something. It was a Byzantine Dromon, fully loaded. It sent bombardment shots at the Ironclad, and missed every shot. It is now an easy target for the RS Caeser.

Roman Scientists discovered something interesting in the desert. They call it Oil, and they think it can be used for power. They discovered two sources in the Roman Desert, one near Brundisium, and a fourth in marshes near St. Louis- unconnected. Also, The Maya have 3 sources, the Dutch have 2, and China has 1. Everyone else has 0. They also know how to Refine this Oil for use, although they have nothing to use it on.

And the Byzantine Dromon sure was an easy target for the RS Caeser in 1874. So was the Dromon that was sunk soon after by the RS Dominator, which is now almost destroyed from continued fighting. It must now retreat to Adrianople for repairs.

And the Byzantine Cavalry that had defeated Roman Cavalry the previous year were an easy kill for another unit of Roman Cavalry.

At Smyrna, Hadrian's Army had arrived. It destroyed the road connecting to the Byzantine source of Rubber in preperation for when they know about it. They also defeated one of the city's riflemen garrisons.

Near Shantung, the PS Merciless was on it's way to another destination. Actually, it was just there to attack Byzantine ships that might threaten nearby Roman Galleons. Unfortunately, In 1875, it was sunk by the Chinese Ship CHS Warmaker.

Hadrian's attack on Smyrna resumed in 1876. Boy, was it one hell of a battle. 2 Musketmen units, 1 Drafted Riflemen Unit, and 1 Cavalry Unit garrisoned Smyrna. Hadrian defeated them all and captured the city, but the Army was completely exhausted and barely alive. And there was no way to send reinforcements to the city, thanks to Constantinople's influence. Hadrian was on his own. And if Byzantine Cavalry came- the Army could kiss their butts goodbye.

Meanwhile, another battle was taking place at Constantinople. Artillery bombarded the city, as they would do in several Future years, in coordination with the RS Dominator sometimes. All of the Veteran Riflemen were reduced to half strength, and the draftees were untouched. They were also seemingly invincible, as they managed to defeat two Roman Infantry. One of the half-strength Veterans did the same thing against Roman Cavalry. The next one was defeated by Roman Cavalry, and 2 more were defeated by Germanicus' (The MGL I got in the last chapter, if you've forgotten) Army, but they both suffered great injury. 1876 and 1877 were definately bad years for the Romans.

Agent Gold read the letter he had just recieved again. It had come from the CIA. They had said that Rome was interested in where exactly the Byzantine troops were, and requested that Gold steal the Byzantines' Military Plans. Agent Gold knew where they were- the Byzantine Palace- but it would be pretty tricky getting in there and getting out. On October 22, 1876, he went on his mission.

Getting into the palace was quite easy. Theodora had scheduled a party to celebrate their victories and Constantinople's apparent invincibility, which in reality, ended up being just more Fascist Byzantine propoganda to try to get more power, so all Gold had to do was get invited, which was incredibly easy. Now all he had to do was find the plans. A map of the Palace was situated near the main entrance, and he had a pretty good idea as to where the plans were. Now, the tricky part was getting there.

He got lucky here. The guards were mostly at the party, and the few he ran into he could easily sneak past or silently kill. He finally got to the room that he thought the plans would be in, a small bedroom that had a suspicious name. Sure enough, there was a folder with pieces of paper in it that looked like it could be the plans. But, Gold opened it and found just a bunch of blank pieces of paper. Then, he heard a door open, and guards came rushing in. It had been a trap- Theodora had laid similar traps all across the palace. The real plans had been safely in a suitcase she had. The party itself was a bit of a trap also. And Gold had fallen right into it. Roman soldiers who captured the city 12 years later found the full account of his gruesome execution. Soon after Gold failed, another spy was sent to take his place. He was also caught.

Very bad news came in 1877. The Byzantines had 1 unit of Cavalry, as reported by Agent Gold, and apparently, it was in Constantinople. It traveled to Smyrna and defeated what was left of Hadrian's Army with relative ease. The army exists no longer. It is not known what happened to Hadrian himself, but he is believed to be dead. Rome now mourns for him, and wishes to do something in his honor, but they need to know what happened to him first.

Caeser got some somewhat idiotic requests soon after. Babylon requested a Mutual Protection Pact.

"Sorry. If you want something you'll benifit from a lot more than we will, you'll need to pay for it. You don't have the money!" answered Caeser.

The Dutch requested an technology "trade":

"Do I have to tell you the same thing I told Hammurabi?" Asked Caeser.

The Roman Cavalry East of Constantinople headed North, in June 1878. Their target: Smyrna. They easily defeated the Cavalry there, and are currently trying to find out if Hadrian survived the battle or not. The Byzantine Resistance is greatly hampering that.

And it was a short lived victory. Byzantine Cavalry recaptured the city in April 1879- less than a year after it had been captured. Worse, 2 units of Byzantine Riflemen blocked the penninsula to prevent Roman Infantry from reaching the city in 3 years and threatining to reinforce the city.

However, a unit of Roman Infantry was able to defeat one of those units in 1880, with a lot of injury. The other proceeded to Smyrna in 1881.

The last report from Agent Gold said that the Byzantine navy consisted of 5 Dromons, the Caravel BES Theodora, and the Galleon BES Invincible. Well, in The Summer of 1881, two fleets of Byzantine Navy ships, one consisting of 3 Dromons and the BES Invincible, the other consisting of 2 Dromons and the BES Theodora, have appeared at Caeserea and sent a Byzantine Cavalry unit and a Byzantine Riflemen unit to the shore.

In 1882, these troops were easily defeated by a unit of Roman Infantry and a unit of Roman Cavalry, and the bigger fleet was almost totally destroyed by Artillery. No ships have actually been destroyed, but they took great harm. They retreated to Smyrna's harbor the following year. Speaking of Smyrna, the Riflemen there were defeated by Germanicus' Army in September, 1882.

Also, Rome sent another spy to Constantinople. This one also failed to replace Agent Gold.

Caeser once again had to renew his lux deal with Carthage in 1883. The price constantly grew. Caeser hated it. At some point, he would get Carthage's luxuries for himself.

A good year came in 1884. Germanicus renewed his assault on Smyrna, and the city was captured. This time, it would stay Roman. Not only was it captured, but the BES Invinicble and 3 Dromons had been docked there. They were sunk by Germanicus' soldiers. When they left the docks, what appeared to be a Byzantine civillian appeared. "Hello, soldiers. I must tell you, disguising myself like this and hiding here for the past 7 years has not been something I've liked. I've been waiting for this city to be held by Rome again to reveal myself." He took off his disguise and was immedieately recognized. "Hadrian?" asked Germanicus.

Hadrian's survival and his story of his 7 years in Smyrna wer greatly celebrated by Rome. They even gave him command of another army that had originally been prepared for one of Maximus' students in Ravenna. While he is somewhat bitter about this, he is glad that he is able to help Hadrian lead his army until another one is prepared for him (Actually, the Army wasn't built until next turn, and it only has 2 Cavalry right now).

Hadrian's survival was not the only good news of 1884. Constantinople was finally isolated.

Strangely, The Byzantines are still able to get Saltpeter from the Maya. Caeser wonders why, seeing as there is no way Saltpeter can get to Constantinople while the Dominator is blockading its harbor. But, in the meantime, all there is to do is beseige the city. Artillery and the Dominator bombarded the city, and this was followed by a unit of Roman Cavalry defeating of the city's Riflemen garrisons. However, this unit was then defeated by the last unit of Cavalry the Byzantines would ever make, which then retreated into Constantinople.

The secret of Electronics truly did pay off. In 1886, It had allowed for the construction of a gigantic Hydro-Electic Power Dam to be built on the Tiber River near Rome, Generating enough power to give the benefits of a power plant to every city on the continent.

The Bombardment ensued once again in 1886, and they reduced all of the city's 7 riflemen garrisons, plus the unit of Byzantine Cavalry they had attacked with earlier, to the status of "heavily injured", the Romans attacked. Strangely, two units of Roman Infantry were barely able to scratch these Riflemen. Luckily, the armies were ready to roll now. Germanicus' Army defeated 4 of the garrisons, and Hadrian's new Army (A.k.a, Army II) defeated the remaining 3. Yet, the Cavalry still remains, and the armies lack the energy to continue fighting. This battle will last a little longer.

But, only 2 more years. Infantry finished off those Cavalry, and since they didn't heal, the Artillery and the Dominator were not even needed that year. Constantinople is now Roman, and so is The Collosus, The Great Lighthouse, The monument to Magellan's Voyage, and Shakespeare's theater. Caeser only cares about Magellan's voyage, seeing as The theater and The Collosus only provide bonuses to Constantinople, and the Lighthouse no longer works. Also, it no longer matters if the Maya are shipping Saltpeter to the Byzantines. The Byzantines need Iron and/or Horses to be able to use them, and with Constantinople's capture, they have neither one.

Theodora had left the city a long time beforehand. She knew that the Cavalry would not be able to hold the city, so she fled north long before the battle started, and set up a new government at Nicaea, just to the north. However, in her haste to leave, she did not notice the Roman spy, Agent B, following her and the Byzantine government there.

The other nations were started to get Refining in previous years, and forgetfulness had prevented Caeser from selling it to the ones who didn't, and now everyone but Byzantium and Babylon had it. Luckily, when Atomic Theory started spreading in 1888, Caeser was able to sell it to the two nations (besides Byzantium and Babylon) who didn't have it.

He then turned around and sold his newfound secrets of Fascism to Babylon:

Well, at least he gained something- and the Byzantine Empire nears its doom.

Last edited:
Oh, and for anyone who cares, here are the current Byzantine troop counts. Apparently, they've upgraded one of their Dromons, plus their Caravel, and have built another galleon. So they now have 4 ships, 0 workers, and 15 (pathetic) ground units.

Top Bottom