Cultivating a dose of Anglophilia!

You post is sunday mogning for me and I suppous for many others.
Then you say satarday you should think that we are international people and if you posting satarday you should count by New Zealand time zone, not by your's. Voiting set on time when people most lickly have free time, which is weekends.

From previous succession games, I had the impression we did not observe ANZAC time but American or even European time.

Do not you think that it is unfair if I have to do thiks on Monday, when I work and have other activities sheduled? Really, eveyone has a whole week, why leave it untill last posible moment and make it dificult for others?

This is a list of elligible voiters, if I am not mistaken

Ozbenno - voited
Mice - voited
pigswill - voited
mrchadt - voited
FeedBack
Öjevind Lång - voited
Cam_H - voited

Could you please cast your voites folk?

Congrats mrchadt, and Feedback ! . That's a great save to play on from.

Thankyou very much, I hope my save doesn't disappoint anyone.
Whats the general idea of how to proceed?
I hope my military is good enough to vassalize mao, how many cities would you leave him with? Should we attack washington? I noticed that for every vassal you get +1 happiness. Do we need to worry about the other continent getting into space before we win or worry about them attacking? The space part won't happen for a while but is there anything we could do to slow them down in this turn set? I thought about sending over lots of missionaries of our choice (jewish now as we have the ToS.) And bribing a religion switch. Maybe these hammers would be better spent on our own development on this turn.
I suppose this turnset would be best spent finishing the war and getting the temples and cathedrals in place.
I looked at london and it can build the taj mahal quite quickly, 8 turns i think.

Do not you think that it is unfair if I have to do thiks on Monday, when I work and have other activities sheduled? Really, eveyone has a whole week, why leave it untill last posible moment and make it dificult for others?

No, you can do it earlier and then show a bit of patience until the rest of the world has caught up with you.

Congratulations to Mrchadt! :)

well. Feedback did not voite, but his voite would not make any difference, as he can not voite for himself and he is a second candidate.

I said I would only be able to vote on Tuesday 0:00 GMT. For me, it's still Monday. And I should be on the schedule yet. :p

Multineer, I think I'll have to ask you again to write more in English. Really, it's getting a little odd to read your posts. I tend to ignore them because I cannot understand them. :confused:
And one more sidenote.... Could you please be a little less "I'm the best" in your posts? I really don't like it. Seriously... I don't know how you guys can stand this. If it's your way to do things, ok. But it's my way to complain about things I don't like. And it should be ok too. :mischief:

Getting back to business, Mrchadt, although I didn't see your save yet, congratulations!!! Your first save was picked as best! You were not the first in the series that made it! :cool:
I'll write more when I take a look on it.

Thankyou very much, I hope my save doesn't disappoint anyone.
Whats the general idea of how to proceed?
I hope my military is good enough to vassalize mao, how many cities would you leave him with? Should we attack washington? I noticed that for every vassal you get +1 happiness. Do we need to worry about the other continent getting into space before we win or worry about them attacking? The space part won't happen for a while but is there anything we could do to slow them down in this turn set? I thought about sending over lots of missionaries of our choice (jewish now as we have the ToS.) And bribing a religion switch. Maybe these hammers would be better spent on our own development on this turn.
I suppose this turnset would be best spent finishing the war and getting the temples and cathedrals in place.
I looked at london and it can build the taj mahal quite quickly, 8 turns i think.

Your save is very impressive, but don't forget that this is a *culture* game. Peace is a prtiority. So is getting the Taj Mahal, both for the culture points and for the Golden Age. I'd prioritize the Taj Mahal and get cracking on building it right away.

I don't know how you guys can stand this.
I've already inadvertantly driven one player off the roster - I'm not inclined to comment on the tone of anyone's post in this game until it breaks the forum rules!

Öjevind Lång;5659679 said:
Your save is very impressive, but don't forget that this is a *culture* game. Peace is a prtiority. So is getting the Taj Mahal, both for the culture points and for the Golden Age. I'd prioritize the Taj Mahal and get cracking on building it right away.

I think one ofthe key issues for consideration is whether or not we need to weaken Mao through warfare given that this is likely to be a diversion of resources from culture boosters.

Are we going for the standard culture victory model?
1)focus on research.
2)focus on cash-rushing.
3)focus on culturing up the legends.

Cam_H Forced to take passive position and Hoped to get safety for cultural win diplomatically.
Mutineer in position to dictate and force on same continent a good diplomatic situation. Even If Mutineer would not go ionto war with Mao, adopting same religion as mao will help to achieve a good relationship with him.
Tect trade wize it does not matter as mutineer finsihed with trade and after contact with second continent trade will become avalible.

There some argument about what one to do for cultural win. But it is not matter what you should do, but what you can do to get to best position posible.

Another thing to consider is how much are we going to learn about winning by culture if we just destroy the AI and then "culture up". Its not that hard to do on Monarch. Berserks ran a SG that was Always War but we had to win by culture (this was the original premise of ROTQM4 as well but he stoles it from us precious :lol:, anyway Rex's later idea was much better ;) ). What did we do? Beat up the AI, pillaged them back to the stone age, razed all their cities and when there was one AI left, start doing cultural stuff. Didn't learn much about cultural victories at all. This is not a criticism of this approach as it is very effective.

The main reason I joined this game was too learn about the fine points of cultural victories (says the first person to declare in this game) as I pretty much suck at it. Winning as peacefully as possible is much harder but more rewarding. As KMad has said many times, diplomacy is crucial, as well as the reseach path and the order of GP generation etc.

(Selected quotes - there are plenty more 'war vs. peace' comments running through this thread).

I guess some of us have struggled with the approaches taken in the game - sometimes selecting a war-oriented submission, and other times selecting a passive one. Certainly Cabert expressed his concerns to me about the Cultural win being right for this format.

For me, it's becoming apparent that while you benefit from laying some 'Cultural groundwork' at the start of the game, that being 'the wimp' is not appearing to be mandatory. I've almost invariably taken this position in my Cultural games, and relied on diplomacy and cherry-picking tradable technologies to get me through - at least through the late-Classical and Medieval Eras.

I've learned a lot already from this exercise, and am looking forward to seeing how things unfold. :)

Good work Mrchadt, but I think good work from most of you. Wish I could say the same about mine! :lol:

And one more sidenote.... Could you please be a little less "I'm the best" in your posts? I really don't like it. Seriously... I don't know how you guys can stand this. If it's your way to do things, ok. But it's my way to complain about things I don't like. And it should be ok too. :mischief:

Fb, my friend, my opinion on this if you're interested, I think it takes all kinds to make up a world. I personally don't mind the tone, it makes me laugh. :lol: Like that. In the Merchant queen SG I complained about someone's tone but later I regretted it because it was just his way and he had good things to say.

I don't want to stay with the same understanding of the game after one year, so I don't mind when a player kicks my thinking about the game a bit. It stops stagnation in my case.

Most important, congrats again on the second best save. Your infra was really awesome. I just was worried about Mao in your save. I don't know why he didn't declare in your set.

In our save now Washy is friendly (I think) . Surely we have enough cities to boom to victory. Is Rome to be a GP farm? Maybe Bejing could come in as number three. With Sistine, will players run more artists than cottages. What tech will we turn off at - rifling methinks.

Well, played my save.
Spoiler :

Continue war untill took 3 cities, after that run out of steam and made peace to make better use of Taj maxal Golden age.
I put it in capital. Research went representation, democracy, riffling.

After discovery riffling revolted to Nationhood, drafted and upgraded bunch. Research shot down. Redeclared Mao and make him a vassal.
Currently building Statue of liberty and dalaing trade democracy for a time.

Absolute mil units go to Mao, leaving a few Redcoats, knight and siege just in case.
Now in bying spree, setting up 100% culture.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/84898/Elizabeth_the_Cultured_AD-1650.CivWarlordsSave

In our save now Washy is friendly (I think) . Surely we have enough cities to boom to victory. Is Rome to be a GP farm? Maybe Bejing could come in as number three. With Sistine, will players run more artists than cottages. What tech will we turn off at - rifling methinks.

Taking out Augustus was a good decision. The first war with Mao was inevitable. But now I do think we should concentrate on peaceful endeavours. Above all, I am quite opposed to attacking Washignto. We want trading partners, and anyway, if we keep declaring war we'll get attacked in our turn because of the way it affects our reputation. Furthermore, I personally don't get turned on by too much warfare. Let's concentrate on generating GAs (and not pop them to make discoveries), and on building the Taj Mahal, which should be a priority even in a non-cultural game.

About my tone.

If you know any way to criticize ideas of majority and not to offend some one, please, tell me.

It would be miracle. I follow this rules in my posts:
1) Always attack only ideas or actions.
2) Never attack character, spelling.
3) Try not to respond to useless character attacking posts.
4) Demand respect! I consider it to be disrespectful when some one sign to do something together with other people and then not follow rules or bend them to justify his problems. I would not dictate to others my schedule.

About my tone.

If you know any way to criticize ideas of majority and not to offend some one, please, tell me.

It would be miracle. I follow this rules in my posts:
1) Always attack only ideas or actions.
2) Never attack character, spelling.
3) Try not to respond to useless character attacking posts.
4) Demand respect! I consider it to be disrespectful when some one sign to do something together with other people and then not follow rules or bend them to justify his problems. I would not dictate to others my schedule.

If by the last point you say that I am "disrespectful" to you for not posting my save until Saturday, Central European Time, I believe you are wrong. I believe that was perfectly legit. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

If I understood correctly "games to be posted at latest by early Saturday morning 'American time'." So unfortunately it was late. But you did say it was on its way the day before.
Mutineer takes this game very seriously and makes comments which may offend some people, but I believe a lot of the time what he says is correct. His war skills are better then his diplomatic ones as was shown in his deity mutilthreaded game.
I think mice put it well
"Fb, my friend, my opinion on this if you're interested, I think it takes all kinds to make up a world. I personally don't mind the tone, it makes me laugh. Like that. In the Merchant queen SG I complained about someone's tone but later I regretted it because it was just his way and he had good things to say.

I don't want to stay with the same understanding of the game after one year, so I don't mind when a player kicks my thinking about the game a bit. It stops stagnation in my case."

I wasn't going to say anything more on this subject, as what I primarily goal was reached. But I may have to say something about this new mattter:

Öjevind Lång;5667768 said:
If by the last point you say that I am "disrespectful" to you for not posting my save until Saturday, Central European Time, I believe you are wrong. I believe that was perfectly legit. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

If I understood correctly "games to be posted at latest by early Saturday morning 'American time'." So unfortunately it was late. But you did say it was on its way the day before.

You guys are being a little too harsh on this schedule. "Early Saturday morning 'American time'" can be Pacific time, which I think is GMT - 7. Assuming early morning as 9 a.m., in central Europe it should be 16:00 (as it's GMT). I don't know and it doesn't matter when exactly Ojevind posted his save, but it should be ok to delay the deadline by some hours because he warned the day before.

Mutineer takes this game very seriously...
The two highlighted words can't be on the same sentence. This is a game, for God's sake. It should provide fun! There is a sports commentator in Brazil that states:
Milton Neves said:
Soccer is the most important thing among the least important ones.
This quote may be someone else's but it works here. I assume all of us here have other things to do. The respect we maintain for each other makes us post here about any changes to the expected schedule.
From the time this game starts to be an obligation on, the fun goes away.

...and makes comments which may offend some people, but I believe a lot of the time what he says is correct. His war skills are better then his diplomatic ones as was shown in his deity mutilthreaded game.

The last thing I'm gonna say about it. Saying out loud what I was thinking was good for me. When I think I might offend someone, I usually read the sentence again and try to soft it. Even with emoticons. I know it's not common sense to do that, but it works for me.
His war skills are surely far better than his diplomatic ones. And I honestly think it's true in real life too. We are all trying to learn something from this thread. Maybe we can learn something that applies to real life too.
Do you remember South Park? In the end of the episode, Stan says:
Stan said:
I really have learned something today.
And it was:
mice said:
I think it takes all kinds to make up a world

Forrest Gump said:
And that's what I have to say about it
:mischief:

@Multineer: Want to sign a 10-turn peace treaty? I offer you the secrets of Sao Paulo's Subway and Sao Paulo's traffic! Don't know what you're gonna do with them, but it's an offer! :lol:

Here are a couple of definitions of the word serious.
se·ri·ous /ˈsɪəriəs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[seer-ee-uhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. of, showing, or characterized by deep thought.
2. of grave or somber disposition, character, or manner: a serious occasion; a serious man.
When saying mutineer takes the game seriously I was meaning 1. Number 2 is what you might have thought I meant.

Here are a couple of definitions of the word serious.
se·ri·ous /ˈsɪəriəs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[seer-ee-uhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. of, showing, or characterized by deep thought.
2. of grave or somber disposition, character, or manner: a serious occasion; a serious man.
When saying mutineer takes the game seriously I was meaning 1. Number 2 is what you might have thought I meant.

:lol:
See, I learned something today twice!!!
:mischief:

Has anyone apart from mutineer played their round?

I've played 15 turns but its slow going deciding where I want to go.

Top Bottom