Tribal Villages - cut off for getting new techs?

Jaichim

Chieftain
Is there a cut off time or limit on getting free techs from tribal villages. I'm playing a Monarch level game and it's 1380 AD. I managed to snag Astronomy before any of the other Civs, and am bringin some Knights around to Tribal Villages that have been uncovered via map trading. I'm getting warriors, scouts, xp, and cash, but not techs. Perhaps 10-20 turns prior, I did receive a tech.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jai

You cannot pop all techs from a hut, just a limitted number... If you researched them all no more techs... IIRC Astronomy is the most expensive tech that can be popped...

Try popping the Huts with Explorers where possible, to skip getting XP... or healing

That is true, the most expensive tech you can get by goody huts is Astronomy.

Popping huts with explorers does not skip you getting XP AFAIK. Popping huts with an undamaged unit skips you getting healing (explorer irrelevant). The only thing that explorers and scouts are good at skipping is hostile villagers, i.e. barbarians, such that you have a better chance of getting good stuff.

Ok, well, I have a number of techs that cost the same or less research points as astronomy, so I guess I'll assume that I can get them via a tribal village. Thanks for the feedback. Just to correct my second post, I got Music, not Theatre. I also popped Astronomy!

The astronomy tech cap makes good sense too.

If there were a hut with Industrialism then it begs the question why the hut people haven't hooked up oil and conquered the world with massed armored divisions :lol:

Also you will never get a tech that gives you a religion.

I once got Meditation and founded Buddhism from a hut. Seeing as I was researching Polytheism, I made it a goal, just because, to found every religion. I did. My score, economic status, and military status was crap, but I founded every religion. I think it might have been Prince level.

I once got Meditation and founded Buddhism from a hut.

No you didn't. That's impossible. Check the XML files:

Code:
<TechInfo>
			<Type>TECH_MEDITATION</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_TECH_MEDITATION</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_MEDITATION_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<Help/>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_TECH_MEDITATION_STRATEGY</Strategy>
			<Advisor>ADVISOR_RELIGION</Advisor>
			<iAIWeight>0</iAIWeight>
			<iAITradeModifier>0</iAITradeModifier>
			<iCost>80</iCost>
			<Era>ERA_ANCIENT</Era>
			<FirstFreeUnitClass>NONE</FirstFreeUnitClass>
			<iFeatureProductionModifier>0</iFeatureProductionModifier>
			<iWorkerSpeedModifier>0</iWorkerSpeedModifier>
			<iTradeRoutes>0</iTradeRoutes>
			<iHealth>0</iHealth>
			<iHappiness>0</iHappiness>
			<iFirstFreeTechs>0</iFirstFreeTechs>
			<iAsset>8</iAsset>
			<iPower>0</iPower>
			<bRepeat>0</bRepeat>
			<bTrade>1</bTrade>
			<bDisable>0</bDisable>
			<bGoodyTech>0</bGoodyTech>
			<bExtraWaterSeeFrom>0</bExtraWaterSeeFrom>
			<bMapCentering>0</bMapCentering>
			<bMapVisible>0</bMapVisible>
			<bMapTrading>0</bMapTrading>
			<bTechTrading>0</bTechTrading>
			<bGoldTrading>0</bGoldTrading>
			<bOpenBordersTrading>0</bOpenBordersTrading>
			<bDefensivePactTrading>0</bDefensivePactTrading>
			<bPermanentAllianceTrading>0</bPermanentAllianceTrading>
			<bVassalTrading>0</bVassalTrading>
			<bBridgeBuilding>0</bBridgeBuilding>
			<bIrrigation>0</bIrrigation>
			<bIgnoreIrrigation>0</bIgnoreIrrigation>
			<bWaterWork>0</bWaterWork>
			<iGridX>2</iGridX>
			<iGridY>9</iGridY>
			<DomainExtraMoves/>
			<CommerceFlexible/>
			<TerrainTrades/>
			<Flavors>
				<Flavor>
					<FlavorType>FLAVOR_RELIGION</FlavorType>
					<iFlavor>10</iFlavor>
				</Flavor>
				<Flavor>
					<FlavorType>FLAVOR_SCIENCE</FlavorType>
					<iFlavor>2</iFlavor>
				</Flavor>
				<Flavor>
					<FlavorType>FLAVOR_CULTURE</FlavorType>
					<iFlavor>7</iFlavor>
				</Flavor>
			</Flavors>
			<OrPreReqs>
				<PrereqTech>TECH_MYSTICISM</PrereqTech>
			</OrPreReqs>
			<AndPreReqs/>
			<Quote>TXT_KEY_TECH_MEDITATION_QUOTE</Quote>
			<Sound>AS2D_TECH_MEDITATION</Sound>
			<SoundMP>AS2D_TECH_MP_MEDITATION</SoundMP>
			<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/TechTree/Meditation.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/TechTree_Atlas.dds,5,5</Button>
		</TechInfo>

The line: <bGoodyTech>0</bGoodyTech> is what you are looking for. It's set to 0, so this particular tech cannot be popped from a hut.

I ran through the CIV4TechInfos.xml file and these are the only poppable techs:

Mysticism
Priesthood
Monarchy (I got it once in 3000 BC:))
Literature
Drama
Music
Fishing
The Wheel
Agriculture
Pottery
Sailing
Writing
Mathematics
Calendar
Currency
Astronomy
Hunting
Mining
Archery
Masonry
Animal Husbandry
Bronze Working
Horseback Riding
Iron Working
Metal Casting
Compass
Construction

Interesting how you can pop Astronomy but not its pre-req's (Machinery, Optics).

Yikes,

Thanks for the info frob2900, I wasted a bit of time trying to get techs I wasn't going to be able to get. Not sure why you can get Astronomy and not some of the ones before it. Regardless, getting Astronomy help me out a ton.

Jai

Thx, frob. I'm not sophisticated enough to read .xml files and have long wondered about this.

Huh.

Well that certainly explains it. I tried to stay even with the AIs re Optics so as to get a Caravel over there first or nearly first (turns out I haven't met anyone in the NW yet).

But I should have beelined Optics instead of playing around on the upper track ....

I ran through the CIV4TechInfos.xml file and these are the only poppable techs:

Which directory? I find one in the main Civ4\XML directory, but none under BtS. Is there one I'm missing?

I'd like to see what happens if you edit it ....

Why?, because, I assume, the Tribal villlagers, stare at the wonders of the stars and the heavens, but don't get around to Sailing over the Briney Briney sea's.

Again, you'd have to wonder why, they wouldn't just sail the oceans and trade with far and distant lands.

Historically it makes sense too, many ancient Civ's have comprehensive knowledge of the stars, moon and sun, but didn't have knowledge of sailing open oceans.

I guess too much naval gazing, and looking at the sky, and not where they were going...:lol:

Compass, would come from Knowledge of the stars and navigation, but why no open ocean sailing. Never advanced past canoes?? though the Polonesians used outrigger conoes for travel and colonisation of the pacific, but mainly through Island hopping, not traversing the great Oceans of the world such as the Atlantic/Indian or Great southern ocean.

Island hoping is one thing, Continential traverse is another.

Why?, because, I assume, the Tribal villlagers, stare at the wonders of the stars and the heavens, but don't get around to Sailing over the Briney Briney sea's.

Again, you'd have to wonder why, they wouldn't just sail the oceans and trade with far and distant lands.

Historically it makes sense too, many ancient Civ's have comprehensive knowledge of the stars, moon and sun, but didn't have knowledge of sailing open oceans.

I guess too much naval gazing, and looking at the sky, and not where they were going...:lol:

Compass, would come from Knowledge of the stars and navigation, but why no open ocean sailing. Never advanced past canoes?? though the Polonesians used outrigger conoes for travel and colonisation of the pacific, but mainly through Island hopping, not traversing the great Oceans of the world such as the Atlantic/Indian or Great southern ocean.

Island hoping is one thing, Continential traverse is another.

So, they're gazing at their naval instead of navally gazing? :)

Top Bottom