NESLife attempt #3

Anyone supmitting names such as :Blue Fish II, will be systematically out evolved by me. I will chose your branch, and destory it :evil:

People should be chastized more for not inventing better names...
What do you think of mine?

:lol: Just remember to realize that I'm quite the opposite of a young earth creationist...

Well, I might somewhat agree, but (1) there is such thing as freedom of speech, and (2) boring names add variety from other good names. After all, I'd hate to be known as a naked mole rat...
I suspected as much, given your enthusiasm for the game. :p

I wouldn't mind being known as a naked mole rat. Though I assume you refer to naming a species, in which case it would be a joke which got taken seriously.

MOD: What do you want to call your subterranean, communal mammal?

Player: Didn't you read the name? It's just some naked mole rat thing. :lol:

Later...

Player: WTH!!!

Which ones are yours? (sorry!)

Vague recollection of velorites or something? if so :thumbsup:

If your the red/blue/greenhunter guy... :deathtoyouall:

hate to bring up the now-old off-topic, but the main reason I have black is sometimes I check the forum at night after I come home from work, and my wife is asleep or trying to sleep. The black screen on a low-light monitor display setting keeps it from being too bright for her. I had not even thought about my screen color choice being seen when I did posted that.

----
Hope my names are okay. And if not, soon shellster might not be a name anymore, unless it survives past its future evolutions

Well, I was going to go all scientific on everyone and use Latin names, but a quick glance at what everyone else was using convinced me otherwise.

Which ones are yours? (sorry!)

Vague recollection of velorites or something? if so :thumbsup:

If your the red/blue/greenhunter guy... :deathtoyouall:
Fangster, Jawster, Huntrex, Deathrex, Stalkrex, Stealthrex, Scuteryte, Esturyte, Ponduryte, Geluryte, Respiryte, Scensuryte, Venatoryte, and Cavoryte are all species created by me.

hate to bring up the now-old off-topic, but the main reason I have black is sometimes I check the forum at night after I come home from work, and my wife is asleep or trying to sleep. The black screen on a low-light monitor display setting keeps it from being too bright for her. I had not even thought about my screen color choice being seen when I did posted that.

----
Hope my names are okay. And if not, soon shellster might not be a name anymore, unless it survives past its future evolutions
You seem to have adopted the naming schemes of my earlier evolutions. Fangsters, which led to my -rex evolution path, evolved into Spikesters, then Shellsters and your guys.

Well, I was going to go all scientific on everyone and use Latin names, but a quick glance at what everyone else was using convinced me otherwise.
I use latinesque names for my Arthropods.

Fangster, Jawster, Huntrex, Deathrex, Stalkrex, Stealthrex, Scuteryte, Esturyte, Ponduryte, Geluryte, Respiryte, Scensuryte, Venatoryte, and Cavoryte are all species created by me.

You seem to have adopted the naming schemes of my earlier evolutions. Fangsters, which led to my -rex evolution path, evolved into Spikesters, then Shellsters and your guys.

I use latinesque names for my Arthropods.

I mostly tried to make names psuedo scientific. Shellster as a genus isn't very fancy but it worked, and the species names I try to find something that will work. Using either bastardized versions of a translated word or adding some scientific prefixes/suffixes to change the name. Flutuan was a change from the Italian word for float (according to babelfish), and then I added -pod when it gained tentacles since it was a reference to a foot like apendege.

When I joined, I looked for something that wasn't being evolved by others yet, and create something different. It is interesting to see my latest evolution is closely related to the -rex line compared to say the cloudfish.

I have a goal as to what I want my line to eventually become, but I also want to try other things too. So for now I mostly try to make my line a good survivalist so that I can leave it alone an era or two so that I can work on something else.

Evolution Template:
Nekes: Nuclear Kid
Evolved from: Venatoryte
Gene added (max 2): Fangs, jaws
Gene removed: None
Description (optional): Evolved from the Venatoryte, it is now a "walking" species (walks more than crawls). It is very preditorial, and will eat anything it finds, whether animal, plant or dead

I mostly tried to make names psuedo scientific. Shellster as a genus isn't very fancy but it worked, and the species names I try to find something that will work. Using either bastardized versions of a translated word or adding some scientific prefixes/suffixes to change the name. Flutuan was a change from the Italian word for float (according to babelfish), and then I added -pod when it gained tentacles since it was a reference to a foot like apendege.

When I joined, I looked for something that wasn't being evolved by others yet, and create something different. It is interesting to see my latest evolution is closely related to the -rex line compared to say the cloudfish.

I have a goal as to what I want my line to eventually become, but I also want to try other things too. So for now I mostly try to make my line a good survivalist so that I can leave it alone an era or two so that I can work on something else.
Yes, you definitely filled a new niche. Willing to disclose anything about your future plans?

Evolution Template:
Nekes: Nuclear Kid
Evolved from: Venatoryte
Gene added (max 2): Fangs, jaws
Gene removed: None
Description (optional): Evolved from the Venatoryte, it is now a "walking" species (walks more than crawls). It is very preditorial, and will eat anything it finds, whether animal, plant or dead
Besides that, you didn't change any genes relating to transportation. Keep in mind that I will do anything to prevent the end of the predatory -yte lineage at the hands of anyone other than myself. ;) Nonetheless, I appreciate the competition.

I usually just use Finner as the family name (soon to change for land creatures...) and the for a name I give a word that say something about what did the animal change. Kind of like what they did in Latin I think just without the Latin :p

Lord_Iggy said:
Yes, you definitely filled a new niche. Willing to disclose anything about your future plans?

Well, there is one gene for transportation that hasn't been used yet, and unless I drasticly change the creature's diet I can't use...yet. I heard a mention about using small insects as a non-sea based "plankton."

Other than that goal, I might move towards a more squid-looking creature or something. I have a vague goal, but willing to change as needed.

For other creatures, I'm not sure yet what I'd like to do. I'd like to be more creative, but haven't had any serious thoughts yet.

Do you refer to lighter-than air flight? Ah yes, I remember the Hindenblob of the original NESlife.

Aww, i was planning on that... did noone think my Bublemon plant was heading there first.... providing floating vegetation

Possibly.:mischief: I have not gone through any of the past neslife attempts so I was unaware of it's previous use. I will have to make it devious or something.

I'm thinking more passively devious. Like, "Oops. Sorry. Didn't mean to kill you. You shouldn't walk in front of the floating deathball-apod..heh

Era 14: The Spitezepodic Era

This era is named after the many fossils of Shellster Spitzepod that date from this time period. They were very numerous during this era, and their hard shells and spikes were fossilised more easily than the body parts of most other lifeforms.

Conditions on the planet remained stable, just slightly warmer than the previous era.

New Evolutions:

New branches of evolution became more established on land. There was also a continuing trend for more carnivorous animals. However it was the innocent plants, plant-eaters and plankton-eaters which remained the most abundant species on the planet.

The Yuckius Yummius Experimentus was notably stranger in appearance than its predecessors, with separate mouth-parts for filtering plankton and for catching small animals. Being poisonous and replusive to taste, the species didn't need to worry so much about attacks by other creatures (the Super Yucky Finner was no longer a serious threat), and so could indulge in inefficiencies and eccentricities that other species couldn't afford.

The Landavalion is noteworthy for its rapid development of straightened legs, similar again to the famous Dreadnaughts of the past.

Winners:
Proto-Fern, Big Fanel V3, and Multiplying Zeeboo were the most successful plants at this time. Each thrived in different conditions, with fairly little overlap and competition between them (it is worth noting that Big Fanel V3 had the potential to survive in drier areas, but relied on animals as the main way to distribute its seeds, and remained largely confined to where the animals lived).

Cloudfish was by far the most numerous animal overall. Armed Quadrupler, Shellster Spitzepod and Propelled Finner were also very numerous, but all were still greatly outnumbered by Cloudfish.

Sea predators faced very tough competition. Sociavalion MkIII and Grey Hunter were the most successful overall, each species more or less equal in numbers. Each had its preferred mode of hunting, though there was considerable competition and overlap between them. Sociavalion MkIII happened to be the most genetically complex animal yet seen, though the Grey Hunter still had its own advantages.

Terradid was usually the most numerous land animal, as it was able to survive in drier conditions than its contemporaries, and graze on the vegetation in those regions without competition or danger, in addition to living in the wetter regions. Though Scensuryte also did particularly well from its monopoly on the expanding Big Fanel forest habitat, getting first pick at most of the fruit it provided.

Venatoryte faced remained the top land predator, in spite of growing competition from the Landavalion, which was generally its equal, and superior in certain areas (notably intelligence and eyesight). However the Landavalion remained closely bound to the sea, with a somewhat complex lifecycle involving plankton-eating youngsters which spent time hiding in the ocean depths.

On a more sinister note, the Packcult species multiplied in abundance, taking a greater toll on populations than its ancestor the Bloodcult. Infested creatures of different species would find themselves flocking together to seek new victims for their hosts.

Endangered Species:
Populations of Intellavalion, Terranoplang, Super Yucky Finner and Jet-Spike all remained low, but these species clung on for another era.

The Giganto Leafworm somehow clung on as its formerly-isolated habitat (the continent of Oroseph) was overrun with Landavalions and Venatorytes. Some actually spread to the larger continents... This may be due to its ability to dig and hide deep underground, as well as survive in drier areas. But as competitors dominate its food sources, its future seems far from certain.

Extinctions:
The Brown Hunter, having survived for some time, was finally squeezed out by its more advanced rivals (mainly the Grey Hunter).

The Giant Leafworm (the non-carnivorous variety) could not survive the arrival of new predators to the Orospeh continent, as well as ongoing competition with its armed cousins.

New evolutions caused all other extinctions:
Shellster Olfactopod, Efficient Zeeboo, Thick Finner, Quadrupler, Garbage-Eater, Bloodcult, Yuckius Yummius, Socivalion Mrk II, and Tentalux.

Planet Map:

The continents known as Oroseph and Zerith became closely linked by chains of small islands, and temporary land bridges also formed at times. The same was true elsewhere. There was no significant barrier for the spread of land animals during this era (especially given the semi-amphibious nature of most of them).

Apart from areas of barren rock, sand, and ice, the land surface became divided into three main habitats:

The Zeeboolands covered areas where the soil was generally too poor to support other plants, but contained minerals useful to the Zeeboo (the Multiplying Zeeboo in particular). With the Zeeboos being slightly poisonous (and not large enough to provide habitat for climbers), and tending to thrive in drier conditions, these areas supported little animal life. Zeeboos remained confined to warmer, temperate regions.

The Fernlands consisted almost entirely of Proto-Fern, but also patches of simpler Proto-Moss, as well as very scattered pockets of other plants (especially the Big Fanel V3). While varying in temperature and climate, these were typically less fertile regions and, apart from the coastal regions, drier areas where only roaming Terradids and Leafworms could survive (even then, large areas remained out of reach for these species too).

Fanel Forests consisted mainly of densely-packed Big Fanel V3, but also the earlier Big Fanel V2, small Fanel, and some of all other plant species, including the ancient Urchins. These were typically the wettest, most fertile regions, either warm or cold. Animal life was abundant in most of these areas (and indeed the Big Fanel V3 remained confined to where animals could spread its seeds, otherwise it had the potential to cover a much larger area of the planet).

Warm Shallows:
Diverse and competitive as usual, but no major changes

Cold Shallows:
The appearance of Shellster Spitzepod in cold waters was the biggest change. The near-invincible colonies of these creatures soaked up a lot of plankton that previously found its way to the hungry mouths of Cloudfish.

Open Ocean:

Ocean Floor:

Zeeboolands:

Fernlands:

Fanel Forests:

Bonuses:
Plant award: Proto-Fern. Niklas gets +1 gene bonus.

Animal award: Cloud Fish. North King gets +1 gene bonus.

Innovation award: Multiplying Zeeboo. Fulton gets +1 gene bonus.

Survival award: Tidalworm. Abaddon gets +1 gene bonus.

Story award: Lord Iggy gets +1 gene bonus.

Species Stats: (please check before evolving etc)
*Stats post link*

New Genes appearing in this era:
Protected Seeds (for plants ideally) - The seeds have a tough protective coating to lower the risk of being damaged or eaten.

Fast Growth - the species is genetically programmed to grow at a faster rate, especially in the early stages of life. This can backfire if the lifeform cannot find enough nourishment to fuel this rapid growth, resulting in weakness and tragic premature death!

Attachments

• stats14xx.doc
    90 KB · Views: 86
Yay! I'm an era.

Now what do I want to do now.

Top Bottom