NESLife attempt #3

Update soonish (1 hour maybe) Working on the area pictures right now, thats all i have left to do.

My left mouse button stopped working! :( luckily i found another mouse i could use. But I mourn the death of my 8-year old mouse :cry:.

If your mouse was 8-years-old... well, it's time for a new one. :p

Your guys still can barely even get at mine Charles! :p

@Daft- I look forward to the update, and mourn the loss of your venerable mouse, though I knew it not. I know the pain of losing something that has been so close to your hand for so long.

I hope it does come quickly, I'm at a relative's house and have no idea how much longer I'll have internet access.

Era 15: Profusion Event #3

This era is so-called due to the large increase in both the quantity and diversity of life which occurred at this time. The climate became slightly cooler and drier, which suited many species just fine.

This era is also notable for the final disappearance of the extremely ancient Slithery species, though its line continued, branching into two new directions.

New Evolutions:

This era saw the appearance of both the largest plants and the largest animals since life began. There were new species in every habitat.

Winners:
Protofernus Gramhier was the most numerous plant overall, covering much of the planet's surface by the end of this era. It was able to survive in drier areas than any other plant, and produced a larger amount of spores to colonise those areas. This was followed closely by Patchy Fern which was most common in the slightly-less-harsh parts of the Fernlands. As for the Fanel Forests and Zeeboolands, the Big Fanel V3 and Multiplying Zeeboo were most successful in those areas. The Fanel Forests were by far the most diverse and competitive areas for plants.

Cloudfish and Shellster Spitzepod remained very numerous. The new Quintupler species also thrived as much as its ancestors did, if not more so. Meanwhile the Bloom Finner saw a dramatic rise in population as it colonised the cold water regions of the ocean.

Competition remained fierce among sea predators. Sociavalion MkIII was just slightly more successful than the rest.

On land, the Dolosyte, Celpsuryte and Terradid MkII had huge population growth as they ventured further inland, exploiting greater expanses of the Fernlands, spreading the seeds of the Big Fanel V3 as they went. The Terradid MkII was the most numerous overall.

The Nekes species became the top predators in the coastal forests, their superior weapons giving them a slight edge at this time, though the more intelligent Dolosytes still had a strong presence in those areas too.

Most sea animals developed an instinct to ignore the Wormfish, for their own benefit. Its services kept the spread of Packult at bay, along with various skin infections.

There was much competition in the diverse forests and warm waters of the tropics, and much competition among amphibious animals especially. Most species continued to do well, but no others really stood out.

Endangered Species:
Super Yucky Finner, Jet-Spike and Giganto Leafworm all made it through another era, though remained endangered. The Giganto Leafworm still seems most likely to go extinct.

The populations of Respiryte dwindled as its more evolved cousins began to replace it in all areas, while land predators became more deadly.

The Planktonus Maximius was perhaps related in some way to the Spongita/Jelly Sponge lines of evolution. It was practically identical to ancient forms of Jelly Sponge. Though the world has changed since then, and the ocean has filled with more active, predatory mouths. The Planktonus Maximius's only form defence was the lack of nourishment it provided when eaten, though it still attracted the attention of more laid-back predators such as the Yuckius Jawus.

Extinctions:
Swallowed up by the spread of Big Fanel V3, and out-competed by other plants, the Terranoplang went extinct.

New evolutions caused all other extinctions:
Venatoryte, Propelled Finner, Jubblerus Respiratus, Terradid, Slithery, Armed Quadrupler, Proto Fern, Lung Finner, Yuckius Yummius Experimentus , Stealthrex, and Da .

Planet Map:

Orospeh and Zerith have begun to fuse together. All major land masses remain linked by land-bridges or narrow, swimmable channels.

Fernlands and Fanel Forests expanded most during this era, thanks to hardy new plants and animals. The Zeeboolands still covered large areas.

Warm Shallows:
Again, no major changes here.

As for the colder waters, even less has changed there. With only a few dedicated cold-water species, there is not a large difference from the warm shallows during this era.

Open Ocean:

Ocean Floor:
More diverse than ever before. It is now a serious hunting ground for Simplavalions, though still too spare to attract much interest from other predators.

Zeeboolands:
When the wind blows, deep in the Zeeboolands, the sounds of Singing Zeeboos fill the air - the sounds can warn other zeeboos of danger (either from animals, of which there are an increasing number now, or from infectious microbes) and give them a head start on producing chemicals to counter the threat. It is also believed that individual zeeboos can also share information on their state of health, soil conditions etc, and so can better coordinate the release of pollen and spores. However, the less energy-demanding Multiplying Zeeboos still make up most of the Zeeboolands, especially in the less fertile regions.

Fernlands:
More diverse animal life here. The appearance of Dolosyte ended the peaceful times for the Terradid and the other inhabitants.

Fanel Forests:
An increasingly diverse area. Climbing animals have gained more habitant, due to both the expanding area of forest, and the rising height of the trees.

Bonuses:
Plant award: Protofernus Gramhier. tuxedohamm gets +1 gene bonus.

Animal award: Clepsuryte. TerrisH gets +1 gene bonus.

Innovation award: Wormfish. North King gets +1 gene bonus.

Survival award: Ponduryte. Lord Iggy gets +1 gene bonus.

Story award: Grombar gets +1 gene bonus.

Problems:
@North King, i meant to say earlier, I don't want to have a 'small size' gene, id rather assume everything is pretty small by default - though larger if it is a predator, and depending on its lifestyle etc. The 'large size' gene also adds to that obviously. In your species, i changed the small size to 'Parasite Immunity'.

Some New Genes appearing in this era:
Spit Projectile - Spit a blob of mucus, or something, which can either annoy its target, or potentially get it stuck also. The spit can also carry poison etc if the spitting species has anything like that.

Vocalisation - Most species can make some kind of noise to each other anyway. But this gene is representing a more sophisticated way of communicating, the beginnings of a language, with different tones/noises having different meanings, getting different responses - like alerting to danger, threatening rivals, etc.

Threat Display - the creature can try to scare away rivals/predators with a threatening display of colour and sound - though not always successful, it is nonetheless a cheaper form of defence than growing big spikes, armour, claws, poison glands etc. More intelligent species will be able to see through this however. Though, it could also be used to advertise real defences (like a snake's rattle), potentially avoiding the need for actual combat.

Bark - as in the bark on a tree (hope I have the spelling right :) ), allowing for a more solid woody structure. It provides support for growing larger and taller without falling down, and also provides protection. The first level of this gene will count as little more than a hard outer coating.

New Rule: Species locked against evolution!
As mentioned before - From now on, you cannot evolve from other people's species unless they give permission!

However, older species will still be evolve-able by everyone. Im going to say that anything older than 3 updates is open. So for now, that is anything from era 12 or before.

Species Stats: (please check before evolving etc)
Even with many older descriptions removed, its sill too big for the character limit of one post. Im not too keen on spreading it out over several posts.

Until I think of something better, I've attached the stats in both .txt and word .doc formats: (same stuff in each file, though the word doc is maybe a bit easier to read through, if you can open it)

Attachments

• stats15.doc
    77 KB · Views: 126
  • stats15.txt
    38.1 KB · Views: 90
Yay! Update!

You could PM me some stats, which I could store in my post below the stat post.

I have to leave now. Glad I got to see the update! Bye!

Thanks Iggy :)

If attaching the stats like that is acceptable, i would prefer that, as opposed to editing several different posts each time.

BTW i noticed i managed to cut half the update, my connection paused while i was trying to edit. I think its OK now!

Energetic Zeeboo: Fulton
Evolved From: Singing Zeeboo
Genes Added (max 2+1): Photosynthesis x1, Mineral Eating x1
Genes Removed (max 2): None
Description (Optional): The development of the singing Zeeboo had begun the slow process that would transform the way plants related to one another. However, there was still a long way to go and the new developments had increased the energy demands of the Zeeboo.

Survival is above all the most important goal of any species. The way forward was clear: increase the ability to collect energy to remain competitive. Once survival was secured, the Zeeboo could again focus attention on the goals of expansion and of evolving the communal behaviour of the Zeeboo.

I hereby give permission to anyone to evolve the Zeeboo.

I agree with attaching the stats in file format.

Proto-Tranel: TerrisH
Evolved from: Big Fanel V3
Genes (24): Photosynthesis x7, Water Retention x3, Acid x1, Stem x2, Leaves x2, Cold Resistance x1, Carpeting x1, Roots x2, Large Size x1, Fruit x2, Fast Growth x1, Stinging Tendrils x1
New Genes: Cold Resistance x1, Hibernating Seeds x1, Bulbous roots x1
Lost Genes: Acid x1
The Proto-Tranel was a weird off shoot of the Fanal family. while early on in the lines evolution, there was not much difference from the primary Fanal Line. Overall, on the surface, the Proto-Tranel was not much different then the Big-Fanal V3, but it's looks could be deceiving. the Biggest difference lay in the ground below it, where a Large bulb was formed by the roods, as a place to store Nutrients and energy gathered burring the warm, sunny months, to survive during the darker and colder months. It's Seeds also adapted to account for the darker months, Hibernating themselves during the darker months, and then growing quickly to full size during the sunny months.

Since I left and Sucky died, I believe i shall start fresh and new!

Name:Floater Muncher
Genes (max 3):Fin x1, Grabber Tentacle x1, Plant Eating x1
Description (optional): The Floater Muncher evolved to fit a newly growing niche. The FM floats on the surface of Water that has plants near it. When leaves fall in the water, the Floater Muncher manuevers over too it, grabs the leaf with its grabber, and eats its with the mouth on the top of its head. Pretty much if its a part of a plant and its floating, the Muncher eats it.

Attached is the worst possible sketch of what it kinda sorta looks like. I was like "I'll be cool like Daft and draw it..." but then i failed and realized Daft rocks that much more.

Attachments

• 12.bmp
    145.3 KB · Views: 90
Hey Daft, if I wanted me pyecies to start walking and not crawling, what gene should I get?

Yuckius Trappus
Evolved from: Yuckius Jawus
Genes Added: Complex Stomach +1, Lure +1
Genes Removed: Plankton Eating -2
Description:
Bored of chasing after fast prey, the Yuckius species began growing an appendage with a strangely attractive pulsating display of refracting and reflecting light. This appendage is located just inside the jaws of the Yuckius and when some poor bugger slowly gets drawn, the jaws clamp shut.
Mmmm.. meal...
An iron stomach (compared to that of previous Yuckii) allowed it to chomp on otherwise indigestible creatures.

Daftpanzer said:
@North King, i meant to say earlier, I don't want to have a 'small size' gene, id rather assume everything is pretty small by default - though larger if it is a predator, and depending on its lifestyle etc. The 'large size' gene also adds to that obviously. In your species, i changed the small size to 'Parasite Immunity'.

Well, some large things aren't predators; in fact, usually the largest animals are the prey--see elephants, whales, giraffes, etc. But anyway, I understand what you mean; I'll just describe its size if it's unusual. :)

Spoiler the ever dreary documentation :
Landavalion: North King
Evolved from: Mudvalion
Genes (21): Plankton Eating x2, Complex Stomach x1, Flesh Eating x1, Swimming x1, Vibration Sense x2, Eyes x2, Pressure Resistance x1, Brain Power x1, Skeleton x1, Cartilage x1, Jaws x2, Fangs x1, Communal Behaviour x1, Crawling x1, Water Retention x1, Lungs x1, Walking x1
Description: Exclusive to the Oroseph continent, the Landavalion is primarily a further adaptation of the Mudvalion: its earlier life is spent in the water, while its later life is mostly on land. The new Lungs power an efficient new set of legs that allow it to outrun most predators. Meanwhile, its powerful defenses are enough to discourage those it can't outrun. The creature itself survives both on Plankton and on ambush predation.

+

Sandavalion: North King
Evolved from: Landavalion
Gene added (max 2+1): Walkingx1, Water Retentionx1, Flesh Eatingx1
Gene removed (optional, max 2): Pressure Resistancex1, Crawlingx1
Description: More advanced than ever, the Sandavalion has even more advanced legs, allowing quicker movement, and more sustained movement as well. At the same time, it is now able to stay out of the water for long periods of time--enough that it is essentially a land ambush predator, though it can still swim decently and eat small sea life while in the ocean.

=

Sandavalion: North King
Evolved from: Landavalion
Genes (22): Plankton Eating x2, Complex Stomach x1, Flesh Eating x2, Swimming x1, Vibration Sense x2, Eyes x2, Brain Power x1, Skeleton x1, Cartilage x1, Jaws x2, Fangs x1, Communal Behaviour x1, Water Retention x2, Lungs x1, Walking x2
Description: More advanced than ever, the Sandavalion has even more advanced legs, allowing quicker movement, and more sustained movement as well. At the same time, it is now able to stay out of the water for long periods of time--enough that it is essentially a land ambush predator, though it can still swim decently and eat small sea life while in the ocean.

EDIT: And I also give anyone permission to evolve off of any of my creatures. :)

Bloom Finner: erez87
Evolved from: Propelled Finner
Genes (15): Skeleton x1, Jaws x1, Plant Eating x3, Plankton Eating x1, Swimming x3, Eyes x1, Gills x3, Mass Reproduction x1, Cold Resistance x1
Description: Finally after many generations the First finners that can live in the cold appeared. With this new ability the cold waters were quickly filled with the new gene Finners that fed on the large amounts of undefended and untouched plant life and the more numerous plankton gave them the ability to move from water forest to water forest with more ease than ever. With this new ability the Finners had the chance to multiply in greater numbers than ever before and those that could make more babies survived better on the long run bringing a new gene of mass reproduction to the finner line. With this new abilities the Propelled finner was no longer itself, it was now the Bloom Finners, which was named that way for the sudden bloom in numbers of finners and their control over the seas.

Efficient Finner : erez87
Evolved from: Bloom Finner
Gene added: mass reproduction x1, Plant Eating x1
Description: The mass production gene proved successful and was rewarded by natural selection to improve and become better. The more young thought meant the parent animals had to have more energy. Animals that could gain more energy from their food source soon won the battle for survival and the Efficient Finner appeared.

Damn, again my species get no mention...

Anyway, as I release permission to evolve from the Jubblerus Maximus. Due to the age of my other species, I don't need to release permission, and I'm keeping evolution rights on the Jubblerus Poisospitta...

Anyway, evolution time!

Old Species:
Jubblerus Poisospitta: Splime
Evolved From: Jubblerus Respiratus
Genes (13): Eating Dead Things x2, Crawling x1, Complex Stomach x1, Water Retention x1, Eyes x1, Flying x3, Smelling x1, Lungs x1, Poison x1, Spit Projectile x1
Description: The Jubblerus Poisospitta is a form of the Jubblerus family that has poison to repel predators. First, it has a poison coating, in case anything wants to eat it. Then, it can spit at a long range, and this spit is poisonous, so that it can weaken any enemies that might either be trying to kill it, or kill its prey.

New Species:
Jubblerus Insanicus: Splime
Evolved From: Jubblerus Poisospitta
Genes Added (2): Poison x1, Water Retention x1
Genes (15): Eating Dead Things x2, Crawling x1, Complex Stomach x1, Water Retention x2, Eyes x1, Flying x3, Smelling x1, Lungs x1, Poison x2, Spit Projectile x1
Description: The Jubblerus Insanicus is known for being "insane". It has even more poison now, making its spit attacks more deadly, and its poison coating more efficient. Also, it gained more Water Retention, in order to give it more freedom of motion, and to prepare for the next evolutionary step... dun dun dun...

What? i don't even know how my spices worked out! ok! This is for the greater good...
Finner Stalker (Finnerus ReptillusNes Lunde Stalkus):Charles Li
Evolved from: finner Crawler
Gene added : Walkingx1 Flesheatingx1
Genes (14): Skeleton x1, Jaws x1, Plant Eating x3, Swimming x2, Eyes x1, Gills x1, Water Retention x2, Crawlingx2,Walkingx1, Lungs x2 Flesheatingx1
Description : The new generation of Finner Crawler developed straightened legs and a desire to eat some flesh, either recientally dead or freshly killed. More adapt a crawlng than walking and running, it crawls arround plants and eats them, but if a weakened animal wanders by, or if a hunt brought a dead prey into the vinicy of a group of Stalkers, (They Group together near best eats but with no direct communication) The almost fully camaflaged amphibians will stalk closer, leapat the prey, take a bite and leaps off (Because if you think, an animal can leap and a walker with bended llegs can leap a little X.1 better). It will trigger all for oneself attack of the prey by the unsocial stalkers, slowly picking the meal clean!

Uh, Daft, whatever happened to the Cold Shallows, or the Cold Land?

OK:

1. I'd suggest we have some more mass extinctions soon... :evil:

2. New Charts:

Spoiler Blobsters :
Base of Chart:

Continuation of the Top Half of the Above:

Continuation of the Above:

Continuation of the Bottom Half of the Base Chart:

Spoiler Dibblers :
Base of Chart:

Continuation of Above:

Spoiler Spongitas :
Spongita Chart:

Spoiler Suckers :
Sucker Chart:

Spoiler Overall Chart :
Base of Chart:

Other Plankton-Based Organisms:

Shellster Spitzepod: tuxedohamm
Evolved from: Shellster Olfactopod
Genes (15): Drifting x2, Plankton Eating x6, Spikes x2, Shell x1, Tentacle x1, Smelling x2, Cold Resistance x1
Description: While the shell still remained, it had decreased in bulk, replaced by more spikes. The Spitzepod also adapted to the cooler waters of the poles and was able to take advantage of the larger plankton population.

---

Evolution Template:
Shellster Velenopod : tuxedohamm
Evolved from: Shellster Spitzepod
Gene added (max 2 + 1 bonus): Piercing Spikes x1, Poison x1, Mass Reproduction x1
Gene removed (optional, max 2): Spikes x1
Description (optional): The Velenopod has metabolised a poison that flows through some of the spikes, which have become hollow. In addition the reproduction output has dramaticly increased.

Thanks Iggy :)

If attaching the stats like that is acceptable, i would prefer that, as opposed to editing several different posts each time.

BTW i noticed i managed to cut half the update, my connection paused while i was trying to edit. I think its OK now!
I would vastly prefer having them on the forum, as my future school's firewall will make it hell to download attachments.

Hey Daft, if I wanted me pyecies to start walking and not crawling, what gene should I get?
Remove some crawling genes and add more walking genes.

OK:

1. I'd suggest we have some more mass extinctions soon... :evil:
Seconded. Delta Panzerus IS really quite a sheltered planet. Must have a lot of big gas giants in far orbits.

Nice charts, BTW.

Top Bottom