NESLife attempt #3

Slower continental drift and a lack of climate change could keep your world map roughly the same from update to update and allow you to use it more for reference of locations (fanel forests, fernlands, zeeboolands & continent names). Then you could only change it if there was a major change of plant life which affected the names of the regions or if you felt like having a continent adjustment on your own time.

Simplifying the creature drawings is okay. I personally love how good the drawings are, but I wouldn't want you to stop doing neslife over the drawings being to complex.

Other ideas are keep text of updates down. I know normally you don't mention everything and this time you promised to mention all new creatures, but in the future only mention as much as you can at the time and surprise us when you choose to mention all or do more. So you don't over-promise yourself. Possibly mention more creatures per sentence; mention only the extremely well off, dramaticly different, and endangered/extinct; mention creatures of new players, old returns that have been gone for awhile or a creature of a player who you haven't mentioned in a while in order to retain them.

And like Lord Iggy asked: What takes you the longest?

Yeah, we can write about our own species if we're excited enough about them. And I'm sure more people will write stories to get a quicker update.

Well, updating this is a real struggle now. Im going to need yet another evening to finish it :(

I'll finish this one with the current method, then see about simplifying things.

I really wanted to post something tonight, so I've attached the drawings of the new species.

Lord_Iggy said:
What takes you the longest?

The new species drawings take longest, followed by the 'scene' pictures. Im thinking about showing most of the species as a plain outline/silhouette style, with detailed drawings only for the most successful species (or random other ones).

Im also thinking about scrapping the 'scene' pictures as they are, they take a long time to fiddle about with, and there are too many species to fit in, and its all a bit weird. Perhaps I'll have a few smaller-scale pics, with any species that ive drawn 'properly' and not as silhouettes.

edit: The write-up, map, and stats are quite easy to do, im not too concerned about them. I think I'll probably keep the map to show the coverage of different eco-system thingies on land.

Attachments

• critters16.png
    critters16.png
    313.3 KB · Views: 100
The new species drawings take longest, followed by the 'scene' pictures. Im thinking about showing most of the species as a plain outline/silhouette style, with detailed drawings only for the most successful species (or random other ones).

Im also thinking about scrapping the 'scene' pictures as they are, they take a long time to fiddle about with, and there are too many species to fit in, and its all a bit weird. Perhaps I'll have a few smaller-scale pics, with any species that ive drawn 'properly' and not as silhouettes.

Please do the smaller-scale pics, because if you just do silhouettes for most species, I'd think that would ruin the fun of participating in this. Lower detail, though, is perfectly acceptable if it makes the update come faster. But no rush.

Scenery is unnecessary... maybe just do one you'd like to spotlight, or none at all.

I'm fine with simplifications of drawings, but I don't want to see some of them become silhouettes.

Pics look great!

Please, feel free to bring back the simplicity of the earlier updates.

I figured that I'd make my twelve-thousandth post with something pretty awesome.

Check this out.
It takes a little while to load, but it's well worth it. It's a massive tree of life, growing outwards from an unknown common ancestor from 3.5 billion years ago.

Here's a smaller version:

Thanks to David M. Hillis, Derrick Zwickl, and Robin Gutell of the University of Texas.

Now, here are a few ideas for what to do to simplify this game.

Simplify the Pictures- Not too much, the images make the game, but remember, we all played back when everything was based off a floating sphere with a mouth. :D

Stop Making the Scenery Pictures- Or, simplify them, or keep only one, as a 'spotlight' on the area with the most change.

In order to show where the animals are, you could do a few things. One idea I like is showing pictures of all of the species in an ecosystem (like the scenery pictures, but without a lot of effort, just putting copies of images into groups).

Then, you could have little writeups on each ecosystem.

I imagine the update would look like this:

Picture of all New Species

Spotlight (Optional)

Writeup on Spotlight (A major event, or possibly a new/vastly different ecosystem)

Name of Ecosystem

Picture of Species

Writeup on Ecosystem

Name of Ecosystem

Picture of Species

Writeup on Ecosystem

Name of Ecosystem

Picture of Species

Writeup on Ecosystem

Name of Ecosystem

Picture of Species

Writeup on Ecosystem

Thoughts?

And I'd say this is a pretty kickass 12 000th post. :woohoo:

OOC:
@Lord Iggy, i like your ideas. That is a cool post, im incredibly honoured you posted your 12,000th in this thread :bowdown:

@all, this is the last update in this style, the pictures in particular took about 3000% of the time I had originally planned for this NES... much simpler things from now on... *collapses from update exhaustion*

IC:
Era 16: The Tranic Era

This era is named after the fossils of Proto-Tranel which first appeared at this time. Fossil evidence suggests that these trees covered a large part of the planet's surface by the end of this era.

This era is also notable for the large numbers of new species that appeared. However, this was also an era of fast geological movements. The planet was getting considerably cooler and drier during this time, possibly as a result of the rising and sinking of various land-bridges, causing the shifting of ocean currents, thus causing the whole global climate to change. The distribution of plankton in the ocean also seems to have been highly erratic during this era.

New Evolutions:

(Thriving) (Doing good) (Endangered) (Extinct)

The Energetic Zeeboo proved more successful than its ancestor, though it still didn't replace the older Multiplying Zeeboo. The Zeeboolands were also in decline during this era, for reasons discussed later...

Proto-Tranel was a great success. Its hibernating seeds and nutrient-storing roots allowed it to colonise areas of relatively dry or infertile land. Huge stretches of Fernlands and older Fanel Forests disappeared, swallowed up by the new Tranel forests. The Proto-Tranel also had the distinction of being the most genetically complex lifeform around at this time.

Floater Muncher was a strange creature of unknown origin, perhaps related to the same microscopic ancestors as the Finners or Omis. It is believed that it first evolved in some isolated lake, before finding its way into the greater ocean. It had a simple but effective way of feeding. Although completely helpless and defenceless if spotted, it was able to hide amongst the sea plants for shelter.

Yuckius Trappus replaced the earlier Yuckius Jawus. The lure proved a useful accessory for its laid-back lifestyle. It was now much more of a threat to faster animals like the Cloudfish and Redfish. It was also beginning to compete with the Tentaluxus Alertus (the latest descendent of the ancient Tenta line), which had a very similar style of hunting.

The versatile Sandavalion was present across large stretches of land, from coastal regions to drier plains. It was the most efficient walker and runner yet seen. However it remained something of a fringe species. Its speed was not such a great advantage for hunting, as its prey remained rather slow. Its speed was more useful for escaping the Viparix and Keldot. The Sandavalion inherited the strong bite of its predecessors, but still generally had trouble tackling the crawling animals, which were both well armed and armoured. It could only really hunt the young or sick. It could still swim and hunt underwater too, and this was useful, but the species was no longer as graceful in the water as its ancestors had been. It still remained confined to warmer regions also.

Efficient Finner prospered, simply put. One fully grown, its speed and stamina made it a very frustrating target for any contemporary predators. At a time when plankton levels were varying all over the place, plants were a more reliable food source. The species continually spawned in huge numbers, and the eggs and young were an important food source for many other species.

Jubblerus Insanicus became well established in the tropical forests, and also began venturing further inland. Its sticky poison spit was able to deter predators. It could also be used aggressively, to bring down vulnerable animals. However this species was not yet a true hunter, as it could only digest rotting flesh, and had to wait for its victims to start decomposing before it could get a meal, during which time other predators and scavengers would be attracted... It was also rather slow-growing and slow-breeding, due to its increasing energy demands.

Sadly, the Finner Stalker didn't survive this era. Although surviving in isolated areas for some time, it was not particularly well adapted to life further inland, or hunting other animals. Its main weapon was a comparatively-weak bite, which had little chance of defeating any of the main land species (even the sick and injured). The claws of the Terradids and Land Quintupler's often kept it away from the best foraging areas. Meanwhile the Finner Stalker's ancestor, the LungScraper, was still alive and well by the end of this era, as it kept to a more amphibious lifestyle away from the dangerous land animals.

Shellster Velenopod became well established, but didn't really thrive - mainly due to competition with its predecessor. Increased defences (piercing poison-tipped spikes) and mass reproduction were somewhat counter-productive, in terms of the extra energy demands they created. Although the Velenopod was now all but immune to attack, the older Shellster Spitzepod species was still able to deter most predators, and was able to survive on slightly fewer amounts of plankton, which became important as plankton levels fluctuated from year to year.

The descendents of the Venatoryte remained divided into two separate lines. The Keldot took over as the king of the tropical Fanel Forests, and was unique in developing an internal skeleton while keeping its old exoskeleton too. Despite its rather complicated physiology (and thus slower growth rates), it still had a combination of weapons, armour and strength that was unbeatable.

The Viparix was much more widespread and numerous by comparison. While it lived a more cautious life in the tropical forests, it was the top predator in most other land habitats. The sense of smell and pack-hunting instincts worked particularly well across the vast stretches of Fernlands. The evolution of live birth was something of a mixed blessing, brining extra energy demands on the adults, but did at least allow for more time spent hunting, as opposed to guarding eggs.

The Land Quintupler was a most unwelcome intruder onto land. It stepped on the toes of many other species. Within a short space of time (in evolutionary terms), this very versatile and comparatively-intelligent had spread throughout all the continents, and had become established far inland. However, it was not particularly great at any one thing (the Terradid MkIIs still had the advantage as simpler and more efficient plant eaters, for example). So although widespread, it did not have vast populations in any one area.

After a little more evolutionary adjustment, the Socivalion Mrk IV emerged as the top ocean predator (and also happened to be the most genetically complex animal of the time). The Grey Hunter was firmly consigned to second place, though that species was hardly endangered yet (the Greys had the advantage in nocturnal hunting especially).

The Scalavalion emerged as the arch nemesis of the Cavorytes, at least in the coastal areas. Although not able to dig as deep as the Cavorytes, it was still able to hunt them more effectively than any other predator. It had other small animals on its menu, too, and was starting to out-compete the Beakvalion in many areas (a similar species which had evolved in the previous era). Its burrowing skills also proved useful for providing shelter and protection from other land animals - not that it was particularly vulnerable otherwise, having a strong bite and the new addition of scales on its skin. However, it was limited by the poor efficiency of its digestive tract at handling meat, and currently could only survive in the warm, wet climates.

The Infil-Cult successfully fought back against the Wormfish, with its adaptations for surviving stomach acids, allowing its larvae a new avenue of attack against its predators. Infil-Cult infestation caused the deaths of countless animals in the oceans. Still, in the end, it was just one of the many factors of life that tended to weed out the weaker animals.

(NPC evolutions: )

Planktonus Frigidus evolved to survive in the coldest waters, where predators were fewer - which was fortunate, as the original species was finally eaten into extinction during this era.

Garbageos Megatronus was another creature quietly surviving in the warm seas, not really notable for anything.

Great Hunter was the largest predator ever seen in the ocean. Especially frightening when hunting in a pack, it was able to prey on any other animal in the right situation. But, although the biggest, it was not quite top of the food chain, and could itself be vulnerable to gangs of Socivalions in particular. Its numbers remained fairly low, and they had to continually trek across the ocean in search of enough prey to meet its appetite.

The Redfish was just an evolution of the Cloudfish, with improved eyesight, and gills that could be officially classified as such. It was slowly replacing the Cloudfish in many areas of the ocean, but not everywhere - some situations still favoured the slightly-simpler Cloudfish, especially as plankton levels remained erratic.

Hiboryte took the Cavoryte line of evolution further inland. With more resistance to dry conditions, and the ability to hibernate through really bad times, the Hiborytes were able to colonise large areas of the Fernlands.

The Swamp Amph became established in coastal areas, but was still poorly adapted for life on land, and remained closely tied to the water.

Old Species:
The Clepsurytes benefited more than most form the spread Tranel forests.

The Super Yucky Finner struggled on for yet another era, its fortunes still running dangerously low.

There was still enough room for most plants, but the Terranoplan had fewer numbers than most.

After struggling for millions of years, the unique Jet-Spike sadly went extinct.

The Giganto Leafworm (a relic from the days of the isolation of the Orospeh subcontinent) finally went extinct.

The Respiryte was finally squeezed out of existence by its various descendents. This species has the distinction of giving rise to several new branches of evolution.

The Planktonus Maximius was simply too vulnerable to last in the warm waters, though its descendents are still surviving in the polar waters.

New evolutions caused all other extinctions:
Singing Zeeboo, Yuckius Jawus, Landavalion, Bloom Finner, Jubblerus Poisospitta, Dolosyte, Nekes, Socivalion Mrk III, Packcult, and Garbage-Seeker

Planet Map:

Just a few million years after joining together, the subcontinents of Oroseph and Zerith broke apart again. Orospeh then fused with the larger eastern continent instead.

By the end of this era, all the continents had been separated into two groups, known as Agonia and Caliburn. Though all the land animals that emerged during this time were able to colonise both halves before the split became too wide.

The Zeeboolands were a victim of their own success. After millions of years of eating away at the rock, they tended to build up a layer of soil which other hardy plants could colonise. So, while the emerging Tranel Forests ate up much of the Fernlands, the Zeeboolands were in turn converted into Fernlands or forests of various types. Though the Zeeboos were by no means in danger of going extinct, it seemed like the days of endless 'forests' of nothing but Zeeboos were coming to and end...

Warm Shallows:

Cold Shallows:

Remains very similar to the warm shallows generally, though still has the richest sources of plankton.

Open Ocean:

Ocean Floor:
No real changes occurred during this era, so we shall not dwell here...

Zeeboolands:

An invasion is occurring, as various plants take advantage of all the Zeeboo's hard work. But the climate in these parts is still a little too dry for most animals. Terradids have a peaceful refuge here, but Zeeboos are not so pleasant to eat.

Fernlands:

More diversification.

Fanel Forests:

Yet more diversification.

Tranel Forests:

Basically, the cold version of the Fanel Forests, with only a few of the species seen in the warmer climates. But for those that can survive here, these lands are just as bountiful, if not more so.

Bonuses:
Plant award: Energetic Zeeboo. Fulton gets +1 gene bonus.

Animal award: Efficient Finner. erez87 gets +1 gene bonus.

Innovation award: Proto-Tranel. TerrisH gets +1 gene bonus.

Survival award: Bathyscaper. North King gets +1 gene bonus.

Story award: Lord_Iggy gets +1 gene bonus.

Reminder: Species locked against evolution!
As mentioned before - From now on, you cannot evolve from other people's species unless they give permission!

However, older species will still be evolve-able by everyone. That is, anything older than 3 updates, which is now from era 13 or before.

Some New Genes appearing in this era:
Strength - I have a feeling I disallowed this at some point earlier, but now it think a generic 'strength' gene could be useful. Sorry for that. Anyway, I see this as when an animal has extra-strong muscles, or something, which gives it greater strength that it probably needs for everyday tasks (like moving around), but can give it an advantage in a fight, or give some other random advantages (like maybe tearing down trees or something).

*Continental Seperation:*
The land surface has split up again. For any new land animals, you may wish to specify whether you want to start on 'Agonia' or 'Caliburn', or I will randomly decide where it appears.

Species Stats: (please check before evolving etc)
The stats list is ever-increasing in size, at least until the next mass extinction :)evil:). I still haven't though of something better, so I've attached the stats in both .txt and word .doc formats: (same stuff in each file, though the word doc is maybe a bit easier to read through, if you can open it)

Attachments

• stats16ba.txt
    42.2 KB · Views: 77
  • stats16b.doc
    79.5 KB · Views: 113
Lurker's Comment: I'm telling you daft, super-volcano Alexius-Pandara is your best bet! :p

Excellent work! Really like it; shame to see the style go, but if it's a hassle for you, it's your NES, so it's up to you. :)

Damn, that was an awesome update.

Old Species:
Jubblerus Maximus: Splime
Evolved From: Jumping Zibbler
Genes (8): Eating Dead Things x1, Crawling x1, Complex Stomach x1, Water Retention x1, Eyes x1, Flying x2, Smelling x1
Description: The Jubblerus Maximus has a better flying skill. It also has a smelling sense in order to better reach dead things.
(Yes, that's an old species...)

New Species:
Jubblerus Multiplicitus: Splime
Evolved From: Jubblerus Maximus
Genes Added: Mass Reproduction x1, Eating Dead Things x1
Genes (10): Eating Dead Things x2, Crawling x1, Complex Stomach x1, Water Retention x1, Eyes x1, Flying x2, Smelling x1, Mass Reproduction x1
Description: The Jubblerus Multiplicitus is very much like the Jubblerus Maximus, except for its large reproduction rate. This allows it to conquer new lands very quickly. Also, more energy can be produced from dead things now, which provides the extra energy in order to create such large numbers.

Classification:

Kingdom: Animalia
This group contains all Dibblers, Blobsters, Suckys, Nitros, Finners, Worms, Bathyscapers, Yuckius, Omi, Garbage-Eaters, and Planktonus.

Phylum: Dibbleria
This major phylum contains all of the multilegged descendents of a theorized common ancestor known as a 'Dibbler'. It contains such species as Terradids, Quintuplers, and Jubblers.

Class: Dibbleria Splime
Basically, this Order includes anything originating from the Dibbler-Ice, a slightly adjusted form of the ancient Dibbler. Dibbler MkII is also argued to be a part of this class.

Order: Zibblerus
This is the grouping of all species descended from and including the Dibbler-Revolution, the basic land-form of the ancient Dibbler. It includes the families Zibblerus Terra (Land Zibblers), and Jubblerus (Airborne Zibblers).

Family: Jubblerus
This is the family of species which descend from the Jumping Zibbler, a gliding descendant of the Zibbler-21. Members: Jumping Zibbler (Extinct), Jubblerus Maximus, Jubblerus Multiplicitus (Not Evolved Yet), Jubblerus Respiratus (Extinct), Jubblerus Poisospitta (Extinct), Jubblerus Insanicus.

Genus: Jubblerus (I)
The Jubblerus (I) Genus consists of the earliest members of the Jubblerus Family, and all non-respirating descendants. Respiration is what separates Jubblerus I and II. Members: Jumping Zibbler (Extinct), Jubblerus Maximus, Jubblerus Multiplicitus (Not Evolved Yet).

Species: Jubblerus Multiplicitus

Quite awesomeness. More everything should be this good. However don't burn yourself out. We want it to go on at least until ... some really long time from now approximately around infinity.

Edit: Quick note: Shellster Spitzepod evolved 2 eras ago not this era. Shellster Velenopod evolved this era from the Spitzepod. (Error in new species write up). No big issue. I know what to evolve this time from ;) So go sleep off the update tiredness.

Here are all the links for the taxonomic classification of animals so far:

Viparix

Jubblerus Poisospitta

Sandavalion

Finner Stalker

Shellster Velenapod

Jubblerus Multiplicitus

Bloom Finner

I think I'm going to make a Family tree or something...

erez87, here's your Finner!

Kingdom- Animalia
This group contains all Dibblers, Blobsters, Suckys, Nitros, Finners, Worms, Bathyscapers, Yuckius, Omi, Garbage-Eaters, and Planktonus.

Phylum- Spikii
Most likely the first animals to have a vertebrate thought many believe they did not move or use it for anything other than defense early on.

Class- Finnus
The Order of Spikii that left the ground and begun to swim across the seas taking full potential of their Vertebrate. Included both sea families of Ickii and Swimii and include the land family of Finnus Landus.

Order- Finnus Swimii
The Finner family that excel at swimming. Produced some of the fastest animals in the early Eras.

Family- Verus
The fastest finners to date and the most numerous Finner family.

Genus- Vigeo
This is the first Finner to adapt to cold waters.[/QUOTE]

Species- effloresco
The most only known species of its Genus, commonly known as the 'Bloom Finner'.

Shellster Velenopod: tuxedohamm
Evolved from: Shellster Spitzepod
Genes (17): Drifting x2, Plankton Eating x6, Spikes x1, Shell x1, Tentacle x1, Smelling x2, Cold Resistance x1, Piercing Spikes x1, Poison x1, Mass Reproduction x1
Description: The Velenopod has metabolised a poison that flows through some of the spikes, which have become hollow. In addition the reproduction output has dramaticly increased.

---

Velenus Primus : tuxedohamm
Evolved from: Shellster Velenopod
Gene added (you can add two): Plant Eating x2
Gene removed (optional, max 2): Shell x1, Plankton Eating x1
Description (optional): The Velenus Primus lost the last bit of the shell that placed it in the Shellsterus genus. It became the first species of the Velenus genus which is differentiated from Shellsterus species by its lack of shell and consumption of plant life.

Phylum: Chordata

Subphylum: Blobsterum
This phylum includes nearly every chordate on the planet, and thus almost every swimming creature as well. It can be traced back to a common ancestor known as the Blobster, which then split into two evolutionary paths. Despite this very early split, convergent evolution seems to have adapted both lines in similar ways.

Class: Dentochordata

Order: Fangsterus
This order contains the ancestors of the Fangster and the only surviving order of the class Invertebrata

Family: Spikeus
This family contains all the plankton consuming members of the Fangsterus order. Members include both the Shellsterus and Rocksterus genera.

Genus: Velenus
All members of this genus are descendant from the Shellsterus genus, but lack shells and consume at least some amount of plants.

Species: Primus
This is the first species to evolve in the Velenus genus. It consumes a small amount of plant life, but still mostly consumes plankton as its primary food source. It has the poisonous spikes of the Shellster Velenopod which it evolved from, but lacks the shell of its closest ancestor.

Awwww..... but that is for doing post before reading the whole thread..... Watch this awsome baby!

Resistousis Helifish (To help the Fish resist [the parasites] or worm tacker, just hope Yeerks don't appear this game...)
Evolved from: Wormfish
Genes (12): Plankton Eating x3, Swimming x2, Vibration Sense x1, Eyes x1, Pressure Resistance x1, Cold Resistance x1, Flesh Eatingx1, Complex Stomach x1, Parasite Immunity x1
New Genes: Acid Resistancex1 brains (or Packhunting)x1
Description: As the new parasites hide from the Wormfish, generation after generation slowly disapeared from the landscape until a new change in a splinter branch fully split away fromt the worm fish. these creatures, knowned and Wormtacker. These small fish wiggle their way into infected animals to eat the parasites in them, then they will get pooped out to lay there eggs among the waves. Still small enough to to egnored, but they also developed tiny resoning brain that calls to other wormtackers to tackle on a project.... both increasing the survivability of the animals.

Phylum: Blobster

Sub-Class: Slithery
Animals that desended after slithery, to small to e a class but there is a another part that should be called a class

Geneus:Wormus
To be differenated from the wormys, they are mainly parisite eaters, although ripped off flesh of a kill can still be on the menu...

Species:WormTacker
They are following the the parasites everywhere they are trying to run!:evil:

Note, this is from a explorer and ex-Evolutionist Ted Johnson (have you heard it from some where?:mischief: ) On his exploration of a misterous planet:

Augusta 15, in the future who knows when
Dear Diary,
I am distressingly concered on what should be classified as planton and what should be classified as species in this strange world. I have noted many animals that barly did anything other than an ocincerall sweep of the tenticles to eat the trapped pray.
I also noted that some of the planton are actually babys of the animals eating them, being the larvea they are before the life start to develope advanced baby bareing. But also, is the masses of small sub species in the plantous, land of the planton. Where MiniWavys still survivem perhapes to return to the Lifinus, the land of the Big/Specis Life, as is my name for what I have discovered. Many know specice are just the outpouring of the planton that found niches to survive in Lifinus, and then most have at least 3 genes to be different enough to find a suitible nich to insert themselfs in this competitive world.
Planton, injeted into fluid similar to the begining of Lifinus species, returned with Proto-Blobsters emerging in the small line between Plantous and Lifinus after a 1 billion year trip in z-space, with stimulated sunlight withthem. And found was 2 genes at that time is enough to emerge instead of 3 today. Now, I will be leaving to The Trance, to emerge in another age and perhapes find more Things to write... Fairwell...

Thanks!

tuxedohamm said:
Quick note: Shellster Spitzepod evolved 2 eras ago not this era. Shellster Velenopod evolved this era from the Spitzepod.

Thanks for pointing that out. I went and edited it, because im obsessive like that :)

Im not that tired really. Im going to bed now and that will be quite an early night for me. Im used to staying up around 4:00 am recently... not so healthy i think :o

Shellster Velenopod became well established, but didn't really thrive - mainly due to competition with its predecessor. Increased defences (piercing poison-tipped spikes) and mass reproduction were somewhat counter-productive, in terms of the extra energy demands they created. Although the Spitzepod was now all but immune to attack, the older Shellster Spitzepod species was still able to deter most predators, and was able to survive on slightly fewer amounts of plankton, which became important as plankton levels fluctuated from year to year.

If you're obsessive then the yellow word I believe should be Velenopod also ;)

I can't wait for SPORE.

I'm going to make a family tree of animal classifications. Where's that program from earlier on in the NES?

Top Bottom