Request for a Civ4: BtS "Intermediate" Succession Game

Sorry, guys, I'll have to miss my turn this time. I've been down with tonsillitis since the end of last week and right now have a lot of work to catch up on.

Still, it looks like I wouldn't be able to do much better than the posted games, China seems to have crumbled much easier than I had guessed ;)

Sorry, guys, I'll have to miss my turn this time. I've been down with tonsillitis since the end of last week and right now have a lot of work to catch up on.

Still, it looks like I wouldn't be able to do much better than the posted games, China seems to have crumbled much easier than I had guessed ;)

Sorry to hear tha frob, I hope you get better soon! Thanks for telling us. Yes, it did crumble easier than I thought - otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much time building units....:rolleyes: oh well.

OK, the discussion is now open, and tomorrow morning I shall upload the final Round 4 stats.

here are my thoughts
Spoiler :

Oh regarding stats - perhaps one way of allowing us to baseline different tech / $ rates across games is to also include %'s in the table? I don't mean to make more work for you Jamesds, but I think this stat would be useful.

Some general thoughts. War has been waged well, I am leaning towards those who made the most gains (territory wise), and to those who traded techs (especially with the Chinese, wise move).

Depending on which save we pick, I think we should finish off the Chinese (or if we haven't, peace for tech, then redeclare and wipe them out [they might build 1-2 new cities on the island for us].

after that, focus purely on economy. In my game, I met washington, dunno if I should go into some implications from that game or not, let me know.

Now the individual analyses

Jamesds:
strong game. not quite as far as some of the other players, but you have an almost fully healthy army, and should be able to take out the rest of the chinese cities shortly. i didn't notice anything exceptionally positive or negative.

Putchuco:
busy techtrading, which i think was a smart move, i wonder if the trades for archery and poly were done before meeting the other civs, as i would personally be way of WFYABTA for those relatively cheap techs. Otherwise, you are also well positioned to wipe out the chinese if desired as well.

Pawelo:
skimped on the tech trading like me (an error in my opinion, as we are already down 2-4 techs on the other games ... though that could potentially be made up for in the next turnset). you've completely wiped out the chinese and can now entirely focus on building up the economy. Basically, we have completed the chinese war phase and are on to the next one.

Erathelix:
Same as Pawelo, you've taken out the three chinese cities, with one more left. we can either extort more tech from them (if they're willing to give) , or just wipe them out in short order. You also did some tech trading, and have strong research with good reserves. once you get calendar and those dyes are hooked up, our economy can expand fairly rapidly.

Asaegyn:
I think i may have played too tentatively. Although I am quite confident I can roll through China very quickly, I am thinking that those extra 10 turns that the Chinese cities were not in our hands are productive and economic turns that have been lost. Furthermore, the lack of tech trading may be a potential problem, especially if the window for some of those trades have passed.

Pigswill:

i like the economy buildup, my likely strat of choice as well. Though not having the GL to help is a bit unfortunate. Nonetheless, I think as the production shows, we are well placed to manufacture a future chinese taking out force if desired.

My vote - in retrospect, trading with china equals free techs for us, and having chinese cities sooner in our empire (if we've been gearing for war), means that those are more hammers and beakers coming into our empire. Thus, I would vote for erathelix's game, as he not only conquered china, but made some savvy trades.

Btw, I am currently moving this week, and have intermittent internet access. Should the next round be posted, and i'm the last one u're waiting for, feel free to go ahead and skip me for the turn.

Cheers,

asaegyn

I'll join my few cents to the debate :

Spoiler :

I'm happy to see that the Chinese war went well - we had waged the move well, and had some time to do it before they had time to strenthen their defenses.

Should we play this one once again, and basing myself on your game reports, I think I would have changed two things :
- trade techs with China - I have overestimated their might and their ability to pump defense troops before the war and didn't want to strenthen them, given the fact that my army wasn't that great ( 11 axes, 1 spear, 3 cats ). I also should have made peace before going for Shanghai, and get whatever tech they are willing to give
- hurry Moais in Borsippa - they're almost finished, but I delayed them to get one additionnal spear or axe ( I even don't remember ). Yes, my attack on Shanghai has proven the utility of every axe available, still it's a major drawback in production capacity

@Putchuco
Nice alternate try ;)

Some thoughts about your games :

Jamesds:
Very good game and a nice army. Your eco suffer a little bit, I think it's the lack of currency ( due in a short amount of turns ). Maybe one small thing - your techs are a little bit behind. Still, we can screw the Chinese to get it in exchange of peace. Otherwise, very nice moves and play.

Putchuco:
Your army mirror mine, but you traded techs much more than I did ( hey, but you lack CoL ). If we choose your game, the Chinese will be wiped off in a few turns. One of my favourites in this turnset :goodjob:.

Pawelo:
I am happy to have finished off the Chinese, still as I already said, I could've traded more techs. Our beakers are pretty nice thanks to war deeds, GL and Currency, allowing us to get Arch, Poly and may others in 1 turn, still all the Chinese knowledge should have been ours before they were over! I wouldn't vote myself for this one ;)

Erathelix:
Another great game - your conquest and tech trades are great, and you've managed Moai's in Borsippa so far. One thing bothers me - well, it's not a BIG stuff - with GL and Currency in, your GNP is 40 gold lower than mine, even though I had wiped pretty much during my game. Is it because of different tile working / cottaging ?

Asaegyn:
I like your game too, even though I think you have overestimated the Chinese and built your army too much. It can be turned to our advantage - we could go with this army on the Khmer after wiping the Chinese off.

Pigswill:
Great eco game, your buildup is very instructive and we have a great amount of techs, including CoL, Currency, Philo ( religion ) and MC more than halfway throuhg! Knowing what we know now about the Chinese, I think that your game would be a great starting point to wipe them later.

I hesitate between two options for this turn. I'm greatly impressed by pigswill eco try, and I am tempted to give it a shot. Also, Putchuco has made a great turnset, decimating the chinese to their last city. Many techs, Chinese almost over, and great GNP ( without Currency ), it's my alternate vote.

As for now, no vote. :D I will see where the discussion is going to choose between my two favourites ;)

:cheers:

Pawelo

OK, I've improved the stats table and added the highlights. Any feedback appreciated :)

Round 4 Stats

@ Jamesds
Great work with the stats.Gives a nice overview on every important part.

One thought : I know we are not much concerned, but as one of us has managed to get a religion, it can be interesting to represent on the spreadsheet.
Otherwise :goodjob:

@ Jamesds
Great work with the stats.Gives a nice overview on every important part.

One thought : I know we are not much concerned, but as one of us has managed to get a religion, it can be interesting to represent on the spreadsheet.
Otherwise :goodjob:

Ahh! I knew there was something else - thanks for reminding me ;)

EDIT: Added

Some really great games to choose from. :goodjob:
Spoiler :

Jamesds
Wow, that's some nice military build-up. I have the feeling if we continue with this game we would be able to take next civilization right after finishing with China. I don't consider your lack of certain technologies as a major setback as you can still easily extort them from our China friend :). Currency, which will come very soon will fix your not so good economy and allow further expansion.

Putchuco
Another great game. Good choice of technology trading and solid expansion on Chinas continent. Your population is also impressive. With such a big base, we can whip our 2nd army in no time if there is a need for rapid action :D.
As in Jamesds game I'm positive you'll be able to take China without any problems. However since you lack swordsman taking Shanghai won't be very easy and will come with a few losses.

Pawelo
Well, what can I say you're the only one who was able to wipe China that's some impressive work :). You have the biggest chance to expand fast on Chinas continent, however since you didn't trade with China you're little behind tech-wise. I strongly believe that it would be more appropriate to get everything you could from China before you finished them.

asaegyn
With 15 axes and 7 catapults China is as good as dead :). However I'm not sure if you didn't overestimate the power of our neighbor. It will take another several turns to overrun China. On the other hand you meet 3 new neighbors which will significantly improve your research time.

pigswill
Well, your game is most similar to what I would do in normal single player game :). Your research and stable economy make a difference. I'm positive that using this save will would still be able to take China at will. Not only you have the strongest economy, you also founded your own religion which will in short term solve many unhappiness issues.

Now I'll list some concerns I have with my own game:
- I should have hurried Moai Statues few turns earlier, I forgot about it since I was occupied with China war.
- Should have settled a new city on our continent. There is a settler ready to do it altho it's a bit too late. This city should have been founded on the same turn Beijing was captured.
- I shouldn't loose almost all my forces at attack on Shanghai, should have sacrificed catapults instead of axes.

Having said all that, my vote for this turns goes with Putchuco :).

I'm not going to review all the games yet, now's the time for discussion - I'll do that and place my vote at the end like we always do.

So, we have an excellent contrast between the war path and the peace path. Also, in the war path, we have a gradation from complete victory over China to yet to start from larger troop size. I was in the middle, I started with a lot of troops (too many, I now realise) - but as someone said, that could be used to war on another continent. So each game has its merits, even those that overestimated the size of China's army :).

However, what I don't particularly like about my game is the economy. Yes, currency will pull it ahead a little, but only when the war is won and I can get some galleys out to find new civs (I should actually do that immediately since they have just finished unloading) will it really improve. Currently, it is the large military which is (and was) stifling it.

What was interesting was the level of trade with China. pawelo didn't trade at all (neither did asaegyn), and regrets it now. Putchuco and Erathelix traded as much as they could and have a large variety of techs. I again was in the middle, trading some but not enough.

pigswill's game was the odd one out, but really showed the potential of our cities and placement. His economy is excellent, and yes - a later war is an option. I think that not having the GL is quite ashame, and had we not opted for war frob's game would have been our choice - imagine a peaceful, economy-developing game with the GL!! :eek:

What does everyone else think of splitting the round next turn between pigswill's game and one of the war ones? So some do one game, some do the other and we see how they turn out. Would it work?

What does everyone else think of splitting the round next turn between pigswill's game and one of the war ones? So some do one game, some do the other and we see how they turn out. Would it work?

I think it's a great idea.

How about we each vote for two games, and the two chosen can be played by everyone, where everybody has to decide which one he wants to continue (maybe even both??).

How about that?

(Now I wish we had that choice with frob's last game, that was definitely playworthy...)

I think it's a great idea.

How about we each vote for two games, and the two chosen can be played by everyone, where everybody has to decide which one he wants to continue (maybe even both??).

How about that?

(Now I wish we had that choice with frob's last game, that was definitely playworthy...)

I think it's a nice idea, but it will become a little bit more difficult to manage.
We are six, and if everyone chooses which two games he/she continues, we will have a pretty wide multiplicity of different games and we may lose focus on the general game conduct. So, it's ok for me to play it two ways like you said above, but on the next voting/debate, we decide of one path ( between the two chosen before ) - if we don't we will pretty fast have a multiplicity of different paths and it will be very hard to get a general picture.

BTW, how about ending votes for tomorrow @ 4PM GMT ? ( already thinking about my week-end :))

BTW number two - how many turns for the next turnset ?

Yeah, we would select a peaceful game and a war game, then we would hopefully be split halfway in our choosing (like 3/4 or 4/3 since there's 7 of us). We could then continue to diverge for another turnset, or merge again into which is the best.

So, it depends what we want to do (pigswill, Erathelix, asaegyn, frob - what do you all think?). I think if we will be diverging the games immediately after the turnset, then we should play 40 turns to make them diverge as much as possible for comparison reasons. Otherwise, 25 or 30, probably 30 again.

Tomorrow at 4pm GMT is fine then.

So, it depends what we want to do (pigswill, Erathelix, asaegyn, frob - what do you all think?).

It's hard to imagine how will we compare games based on different start points.
Its tempting to start two different path (peacefull, war) however I'm concerned that it will result in chaos. Even now we're discussing the technical details how we would play not the actual games :)

I think that in the last round there was only one game selected and there was a similar choice between a peaceful and a warlike save, so I don't really see a reason to change things this round.

I would go for one of the warlike saves myself though haven't studied them all in sufficient detail to make a final choice.

OK, lets drop the idea - if anyone wants to play a couple of saves and see how it turns out then go ahead, but it won't be our plan of action - let's keep it simple and stick with one.

That's not going to be easy though, especially since we have two perfectly good ways to play the round. Votes are in tomorrow, so let's try and finish our discussion.

Those who went and discovered the world made a good choice - their economy has done well. Also, they can trade the techs and resources (like pawelo who is trading excess clams).

So (assuming a war save is chosen), should our next cities go on our island, the Chinese island, or the narrow island to our right? I think we have our island sealed - no one's going to settle there too soon. I also think that the Chinese island is far enough away from others, so I'd say we should get a nicely placed city on the narrow island to our right (frob mentioned one which could use the hill on our island...). Then we have a claim to that island. It is too close to others for us to leave for too long. But, we could ask the question - do we have to settle there?

And what about our newly aquired island? Should we set cities down asap without any heed to our crumbling economy (if we just expand asap) and then gift them to a colony? I've never had a colony before in this way, and I think it would be quite fun, at least to try out :D. I'd say we keep Beijing (obviously...) and one other city - the one nearest to our island, Guangzhou.

Just some thoughts, trying to kindle the dying fires of this discussion ;).

Only problem in colonies is that you cannot decide which cities to give up on. Game selects the cities which will be given to our new colony and we have no way to say we want to keep one specific city.

I don't see any problem in keeping the new island to ourselves. Like you said previously distance from our capital isn't huge and maintance isn't very large.
I would even say that taking China has improved our economy.

how exactly do you grant colonies? in the cities overview screen, there's a little button that when i hover over, says "select which cities you want to ..." that wording leads me to believe that we can select individual cities.

but then again, i've never done it, so i don't really know.

only read the below if you want to know the results of my explorations
Spoiler :

re china - japan is right at the top of that island and can conceivable settle on it. i haven't explored japanese territory, but i wouldn't be surprised to see some japanese cities on that island.

the island close to us with a hut still on it - that is also very close to sury and washington [who btw already has like 8 cities].

if we do want to claim it we should hurry

in most of my games, my economy tanks until i hit emancipation, so i don't know. it seems 6-9 cities are the limit for pre-banking / democracy. but i've never had two continents so early in the game.

in my mind, i'd take the choicest land on china first, then fit in maybe 1 more of our continent's cities and then focus on economy. that would mean 4 + beijin + shanghai + other chines + 2 new, which is 9 cities total.

thoughts?

I agree with asaegyn - Toku culture is almost on chinese island already, and it won't be long before he starts to settle on the northern part of it. As for me, the must is the gem/rice/silk spot NE of Shanghai. I don't know if Nanking has been founded in the game that we will continue - if yes and if the spot isn't right I would raze it, if not settle on the spot that covers all ressources previously cited.

As for the island next to our territory, for me it's the second priority. It's close enough to Babylon to have very little maintanance costs.

I wouldn't settle the deer spot right now on our island, I think getting the ressourceful chinese spot and the small island are more important as for now. Let's claim what's the most disputed before getting cities on OUR island ( already claimed ;) ).

For this turnset, I think I will go the war-like path. I still hesitate between Putchuco and Erathelix - they both got very good tries on the war-path so I'll let myself influence by all those who haven't voted yet ;)

Well, I will be away for the rest of the day, so I will briefly explain my reasons to vote for my chosen save.

Basically, it was between war and peace. I loved the economy of the pigswill's game (of course, I am a builder not warmonger by nature) - however, before we started the fourth round, we had all agreed (without officially agreeing) to take the war path, so I'm going to choose a war game (sorry pigswill, your economy was excellent though!).

Well, I can't vote for my game, but I wouldn't want to - my concentration on military pushed my support costs too high for my fragile economy. pawelo and asaegyn didn't trade with the Chinese, and are worse off technologically - though they have discovered more civs, and that's good. So, between Putchuco and Erathelix - both are very good, and equal in many ways. So out of pure preference I choose Erathelix.

I like his Mfg, and Putchuco's Mfg is a little low due to a high unhappiness (cities too large at the moment?). Erathelix also has the Moai Statues, (Putchuco probably isn't far behind) and that's great. Erathelix also has Code of Laws, so we can begin on Courthouses immediately.

So, well done everyone on this round. As I said, I won't be here, so you go with whatever save has the highest votes - and if it is a tie, then I guess you'll have to wait till tomorrow when I come back!

Top Bottom