34+

Have you ever played 34+ civs in a game?

• Yes and I liked it

Votes: 25 9.9%
  • Yes but I hated it

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • No but I wold like to try

Votes: 95 37.5%
  • No I think it is to many civs

Votes: 94 37.2%
  • What tha hell are you talking about?

Votes: 37 14.6%

• Total voters
:D yes I was talking about mor civs mods but sins you mentioned the other mods I might as well try them out to:D

I dont have warlords I only have vanilla and BTS, you cant play warlords mods whith bts?:( I think I have heard that som wher

No, Warlords mods don't work on BtS; but most CFC modders (like the Genetic Era modder), will create versions for BtS :)

It's sad that Warlords mods don't work on BtS; i liked the Barbarians mod and i would like to try it on BtS... :(

I'm pretty sure I saved the file. I hope I manage to fix it. If not,

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

All I can think of is that you may have inadvertantly installed the wrong version for the things you are running..
I run 313 patch with both of Bruics additions on top, so I downloaded and installed XXLworld 131b (If I remember right) That is the compatible version for me. You may want to double check what you are running, and then check with the various versions of XXL to make sure.
I hope you get it going.. it really is a blast

Hey man I heard you say this in response to a city limit...
None has been found yet. If there is one, it's certainly higher than the limit of Civ3.

IM just curious are you saying youve put more then 512 cities on your map?

Is there any pictures to to google that would prove anyone else getting anywhere near close to CIv3's 512 limit?

Technically what you say may be correct but I mean with compalints Im hearing with just 200 or less, I have a strong feeling we won't be finding out for another 5 years or so.
.......But PLease, by all means prove me wrong. :mischief:
Catching 513 cites on a civ4 globe would be fine sight indeed .....before it crashed to CTD I mean ;)

IM just curious are you saying youve put more then 512 cities on your map?
Yes. I'll attach a savegame with 1,152 cities (18 civs with 64 cities each). It doesn't look nice though - it's just a proof of concept, each civ has a grid of 8x8 cities and the map consists of nothing but grass tiles. But it shows that the 512 cities cap from Civ3 is gone in Civ4.

Technically what you say may be correct but I mean with compalints Im hearing with just 200 or less, I have a strong feeling we won't be finding out for another 5 years or so.
I don't know why some other people seem to get crashes - Civ4 runs rock stable for me, even with modded super-huge maps. My games usually have 250-300 cities on the map and I haven't crashed once in BtS. And I only have 1 GB of memory, so if there were memory related problems, then I should see them. The only thing that seems to fail is reloading huge games from within a running game, but this isn't a problem at all since a) I don't reload, and b ) even if I did, I could do so by just exiting to the main menu before reloading.

However, I agree with you that today's (affordable) computers have difficulties with such gigantic Civ4 games. I don't think these difficulties will last for 5 years though. Someone with a really fast CPU and at least 2 (preferably 3) GB of RAM can already play games which come close to 500 cities. As I said, I already play maps with up to 300 cities, and I have only 1 GB RAM and a budget CPU (Athlon64 3500+).

We can already see though that Civ4 has less hard limits than Civ3 had. We can already generate maps with hundreds of thousands of map tiles, and we can already build maps with more than 1,000 cities - check my savegame below. We just need more powerful machine to actually *play* such maps, but this will be remedied in the course of the next years. In the meantime, I'll keep playing XXL maps with 34 civs, which feels pretty epic already. ;)

Attachments

• 1152cities.zip
    247.2 KB · Views: 62
Ya thanks for puttin it up, but no I see the evidence confirmed what I said. -say mybe someone with BtS could run the save and post a pic? :)

Again, technical speaking, I believe Civ4 can do anything in concept over civ3but its the actual 'technical' side that still has CIv4 lacking over civ3 when it comes to raw number in 'playabilty'.. Does that makes sence? ,

Anyway thats were Im coming from. Ive always said IM waiting for the day I can play with no deley untill then Im cool with civ3 and the redefined luxury it's mods bring to the 18-20 civ's mega map.
(besides, feels like your missin to many deal with max civs ,no? )

But Im happy you got 300 going nice, honest thats the most Ive heard till now. Thats about what Ive uncovered so far in my latest 190x190 map.

Hears the map showin my sprawlin, but still corrupt free 'vassel' empire ;) Denmark=red .. and Heres my Rank :)

^

it must have a lot of RAM, 2GB should be enough

i don't know if that processor is good, anyone that really understands about computers (geeks/nerds) will surely help!

Again, technical speaking, I believe Civ4 can do anything in concept over civ3but its the actual 'technical' side that still has CIv4 lacking over civ3 when it comes to raw number in 'playabilty'.. Does that makes sence? ,
Doesn't make sense to me. As Psyringe clearly pointed out if someone want to play with these super huge map as well as super long games then they can with civ4.
At first it's was easy to compare C3C (civ3 second expansion) vs Vanilla Civ4 and say "C3C had more to offer" or/and "Civ4 was water down",etc but now it's a lot harder to make the same claims when comparing C3C vs BTS. With BTS Civ4 is fully loaded.

(also note that your 190 x 190 civ3 map would have the same amount of tiles as a 95 x 95 civ4 map. So If I figure right, XXL Gigantic map has close to the number of plots as civ3 326x324 map)

Again, technical speaking, I believe Civ4 can do anything in concept over civ3 but its the actual 'technical' side that still has CIv4 lacking over civ3 when it comes to raw number in 'playabilty'.. Does that makes sence? ,
I was saying its easy to see the software was designed to push farther then civ3 therfor the city number being of greater potential was obvious.

Yet,... knowing the systems which it was designed for were not up to task to optimize, I say what I say, in that civ3 still leads the day in mega map gameplay.

smidlee said:
also note that your 190 x 190 civ3 map would have the same amount of tiles as a 95 x 95 civ4 map. So If I figure right, XXL Gigantic map has close to the number of plots as civ3 326x324 map)

So you say a civ4's tile is bigger therefor equal terms to a higher tile based Civ3 maps Right? Ok Sure, but how or in which way does that translate into greater control over more citys then Civ3 at the present state of consumer PC technolgy?

Im still sayin as of now, "civ3 holds more citys" is a fact based on current average PC performance. Care to disagree? Oh wait, based on what your idea of Todays probable specs are in defining the "average pc", I bet you would. ;)

I was saying its easy to see the software was designed to push farther then civ3 therfor the city number being of greater potential was obvious.

Yet,... knowing the systems which it was designed for were not up to task to optimize, I say what I say, in that civ3 still leads the day in mega map gameplay.
I totally disagree as with BTS which can have more civs than C3C.

So you say a civ4's tile is bigger therefor equal terms to a higher tile based Civ3 maps Right? Ok Sure, but how or in which way does that translate into greater control over more citys then Civ3 at the present state of consumer PC technolgy?
First, a civ3 190x190 is really a 95 X 95 map because of the way the diamond plots are numbered on the map as compared to civ4 square plots.

Im still sayin as of now, "civ3 holds more citys" is a fact based on current average PC performance. Care to disagree?
Only because civ3 cities are packed as tight as a can of sardines. This strategy isn't as valid (thankfully) in Civ4..
Oh wait, based on what your idea of Todays probable specs are in defining the "average pc", I bet you would. ;)
This old post of mine is showing it's age as you can get a better processor with faster 2gb of ram with a cheap tower. 7800GT is also beginning to showing it's age which is pretty much average now. (no reason whatsoever to even waste your money on 7800gt as there are a lot cheaper cards with just as much power) There is a lot more people with a better PC now than the one I had two years ago.
Just like your old argument that civ3 gives you greater control with bigger maps and more civ than civ4 is showing it's age.

you left out the option for "yes, i tried it but the lag choked my computer of all life and melted my hard drive and now i'm voting in this poll from an internet cafe so that others may not follow the same path i did, so i hated it."

that didn't happen to me, but there still should have been a lag-related option in your poll.

Only because civ3 cities are packed as tight as a can of sardines. This strategy isn't as valid (thankfully) in Civ4.. .

So you agree with my only point I tried to make on this thread, but except for this?

I remember posting a screenshot and having you come down on my game abilty cuz I forgot to 'sardine' a city instead leaving 4 tiles left open in what I thought was a fully plugged and impressivly large empire of the finest degree.
Here, a nicly packed sardine coming for ya :splat: ;)

:scan:
T.A's unaltered portion of comments to 'CIv4 Review' said:
Sorry Im not a great Civ player I play monarch Civ3 its got less handicaps. I find I use the editer when I can and common sense where it applys.
I posted a picture here once to show my 2D terrain. It had my citys spred out "fatcross" across the land. A guy named Smidlee here on the site said, "my GOD! you never even settled right!" Huh? I look closer and see a few tiles where my T's crossed that could have sqeezed in a mine or two.
This shocked me. Not that I gave up few points, lord forbid!, but would a real City planner make such a statement? I mean unless the settler he wanted to encroach with was building a suburb, I saw no reason to crowd another city in its shadow especially not have to come up with a name for just a measly 2gold and added support savings. But to bother to mention confidenlty I failed to make use of two lousy tiles? I new something was wrong. It wasn't my playing style that was the problem but the stream of complaints from these guys who think we need every point to play right. Is that City spamming? what I keep hearing this need to be anal about? Its no big deal to me a few spaces, Im wondering who helped design the game and if they were right ones to have done it. Countrys have ten citys now. Thats what I mean.

I expand with a iron fist not crowd together like a class photgrapher desperately depriving others of space for the perfect compisition. For a game that is completely anal! but thats how you get the highest points. Its nothing to do with winning the game!. I win you hear me! For me thats what building armys is about (not cheating armys, I cap those kind ;) ) . I get more land with a expansion plan so I give up some parks for the citizens to play in.
:scan:

As you see your arguement can be dismissed on the basis of freedom of variables in terms of challenges and choices on how you go about your VC.
An example? Play Bigger map combining higher 'Domination' requirments. THeres planty of ways, no mold to follow. The way you learned to play is what made you so against the game in the first place man.

SO recap I don't have to cram If I can to expand (land n economy) and in civ3 thats easier done without hindering perfomance. It used to lead to COR but just as Smidlee says 'the 'AI mod' and 'combat mod' is needed in CIv4, its only fair to assume corruption reducing expansion through simple BIC adjustments changing emphisis on maintence and limited armys/spam/pollution is all part of the CIv3.
Even better, l fine tune adjustment is an option to anyone who can work a SNES 'option menu' can we say Civ4 refines so easily for everyone? :D

IM sorry but more would be thankful to atleast have an opyion to choose this 'free' gamestyle of mine then have to resort to mini-map gameplan brought on by horrid design done by tryin to hard to please a few 'highscore' point driven or MP obsessed players, much like yourself ;)

Lets put it away for today. It was a simple point I felt right to respond and now summerize with: civ4's holds more citys, civ3's still has more citys ..which inevidedly becomes had more cities. and on we go I image.

Period. All this other stuff you bring up now is just a prefrence thing, it has no bearing. Thats my attidude working fulltime these days (before I was on EI! :cool: paid to play and merit civ3 every day, :goodjob: ), Sadly Now its better to summerize generally like everyone then to argue exhaustivly over 'nothings' to no... end. :)

Nice talkin with you Mr Smids. Later :)

you left out the option for "yes, i tried it but the lag choked my computer of all life and melted my hard drive and now i'm voting in this poll from an internet cafe so that others may not follow the same path i did, so i hated it."

that didn't happen to me, but there still should have been a lag-related option in your poll.

yes good point, dident think of that at the time but I will think of it next time;)

Whoa.. you can play 34 civs nowadays? Definately the time for me to reconsider my CIV 4 break and get those packs...

I played super huge map with 18civs and it felt sluggish especially when AI leaders came calling. Turn speed itself was not a problem as I have a C2D 2.1Ghz and 2gb ram. But The leader-heads slowed the game speed down considerably.

Top Bottom