flavour map script(s)

Thanks Sureshot,
I had a look and its for BtS, not there yet ;-) Although its a not very expansive expansion. (i didnt mean the look of that)
And its a huge sized map, my computer doesnt like that. Technically he could handle it, but he is so lazy......
But yeah something like that is exactly what i mean. Again thanks and i will look further and hope for some hero who can explain what to do ;-)

I just tried the FfH_SmartMap, and well, it worked. Not to my full satisfaction, but the games would have been playable.

First try was a Standard size game, 5 civs, 1 continent per 2 civs. 3 mana nodes spawned, total, none of them on my continent.

Second try, fiddled with the settings. Seemed to get slightly more mana nodes, so good there. Quite a lot of marble, all things considered. Oh, and a Floodplains/Grassland tile near me. 5 food, just like that... Clearly a little bug in the script, I'd assume in the SmartMap.

So all in all... I haven't found the right settings for me yet. Some things look a bit buggy, but it does work.

Smartmap never (played it up to ~0.21 or 0.22) spawned enough mana nodes to my liking. Otherwise I liked the options.

We really need a map script dedicated to FfH ;)

The 'sto' maps (I forget where they came from) have a control that lets you add starting resources such as Mana and fiddle around with a lot of other things. They work pretty well with BTS/.25 but were better with vanilla/.23.

The 'sto' maps (I forget where they came from) have a control that lets you add starting resources such as Mana and fiddle around with a lot of other things. They work pretty well with BTS/.25 but were better with vanilla/.23.

i'm sorry but the vanilla/warlords version of the scripts don't work with BtS for the moment . You can play if you have some settings already done but you get a crash after about 20 selections , so that's impossible to play if you need to enter a lot of settings . I'm working on a BtS version , but i encounter lots of problems and that will not be done soon . I plan to do an FFh implementation when the shadow phase will be finished , if i achieve to do a BtS version .

Tcho !

Smartmap never (played it up to ~0.21 or 0.22) spawned enough mana nodes to my liking. Otherwise I liked the options.

We really need a map script dedicated to FfH ;)

This sort of thing is supposed to be handled in the XML, If you are only getting a few, it's because the guy who wrote the XML intended for it to be rare.

No, actually there are no map scripts for FfH yet, so nobody could have wanted to set it that way. Sure, general resources, but in FfH is really another thing, even if not from a mappers point of view.

No, actually there are no map scripts for FfH yet, so nobody could have wanted to set it that way. Sure, general resources, but in FfH is really another thing, even if not from a mappers point of view.

I haven't looked at the FfH bonusInfos XML, but generally there are two methods to determine the number of resources on the map. You can set a percentage compared to the number or players, or you can set it by how many suitable tiles for that bonus on the map. Who ever designed the XML entry for the mana bonus used one method or the other. If you feel they did not carefully consider the placement frequency, you might want talk to the guy in charge if it's a real problem and get an official change.

For your own purposes, check out the entry in civ4wiki for the CvBonusInfos.xml file for an explanation regarding placement. There are several factors that work together that might limit the placement of the resource, like how close they can be to each other or to other bonuses of the same class. Setting these variables properly will allow people to use any map script they want.

i'm sorry but the vanilla/warlords version of the scripts don't work with BtS for the moment . You can play if you have some settings already done but you get a crash after about 20 selections , so that's impossible to play if you need to enter a lot of settings . I'm working on a BtS version , but i encounter lots of problems and that will not be done soon . I plan to do an FFh implementation when the shadow phase will be finished , if i achieve to do a BtS version .

Sto, I am looking forward to your BtS scripts for sure, but I have had almost no problems with the old ones. My favorite one is sto_Archipelago set with sea levels low to produce a kind of snaky Pangaea. Of course, I don't use that many settings -- just the basic ones for terrain and such. I did notice that the settings for traits have dropped out with BtS but everything else seems to be there.

Of course, I am not getting any Animals at the start any more and that is the one thing I would most like to have working again (at least until the options mod comes back). Were you doing that with an Event?

Of course, I am not getting any Animals at the start any more and that is the one thing I would most like to have working again (at least until the options mod comes back). Were you doing that with an Event?

Yes , i replace the onGameStart function to launch my function then restore the original and launch it . In order to not make a bug before the original onGameStart i've put an anti-bug with the extra option i add at the beginning of the game . It should have a bug that prevent the animals to appear , i've not checked with the old version of the scripts since i work on the BtS version . But i will check that and try to fix that , so they can be playable until the BtS version ( if i achieve to find a way to enter lost of settings with BtS ) .
For the trait options , the script is just checking if the MOD you play use TheLopez's MOD COMP and if yes add the buttons to change the traits . But Kael has rewrited the function with BtS , that's why the trait options don't appear with 0.25 . That will be probably the last thing i will do if i achieve to do a BtS version of the scripts .

Anyway i will try to fix the bug with animals for 0.25 and post a new version .

Tcho !

Of course, I am not getting any Animals at the start any more and that is the one thing I would most like to have working again

I've just tested a game with animals and barbarian cities with 0.25k . I got some animals and barbarian cities with no bug ... if you don't have any animal , can you enable the debugger and post the log file please ?

Tcho !

This sort of thing is supposed to be handled in the XML, If you are only getting a few, it's because the guy who wrote the XML intended for it to be rare.

Actually, I took a look at the SmartMap python code and the amount of resources are decided in there. The problem lies in the fact that the script isn't aware of any of the FfH resources. It places them, but with a a non-changeable low priority, as far as I can tell.

The script defines a few lists of resources on lines 55 to 63, while the placement happens in 'Step 5' starting on line 2157.

Perhaps someone with more ready knowledge of Civ mapscripts than me could modify the script a bit? I do like the many options you get...

Actually, I took a look at the SmartMap python code and the amount of resources are decided in there. The problem lies in the fact that the script isn't aware of any of the FfH resources. It places them, but with a a non-changeable low priority, as far as I can tell.

The script defines a few lists of resources on lines 55 to 63, while the placement happens in 'Step 5' starting on line 2157.

Perhaps someone with more ready knowledge of Civ mapscripts than me could modify the script a bit? I do like the many options you get...

Yeah, I tried PerfectWorld with FfH and got plenty of mana resources. The XML says there should be 2 for each player. It's too bad SmartMap doesn't use a generic resource placement scheme.

I've just tested a game with animals and barbarian cities with 0.25k . I got some animals and barbarian cities with no bug ... if you don't have any animal , can you enable the debugger and post the log file please ?

Tcho !

(I thought I posted this reply, but it's not here, so I'll try again.)

I'd be happy to send you the log, but don't know how to turn on the debugger. Can you tell me how?

And I should be clear and say that animals spawn at the usual rate. But there are none placed on the map at the start of the game like there used to be. Maybe I'd better check to make sure I have the latest download.

Hello all, I've been working on editing this great mod for use with standard civ games. I want to make it so that the standard historical civs are more likely to appear in appropriate geographical regions - e.g. European civs should appear in cold and temperate areas, African civs closer to the equator.

So for example, I've been trying to get it so that European civs like to start near sheep bonus resources, since the sheep resource only appears in temperate/cold regions. So for example, here's my code for the Vikings in the mapmod python file:

infoViking = CivFlavorInfo(IT("CIVILIZATION_VIKING"))
infoViking.setPriority(1)
infoViking.terrains[IT("TERRAIN_TUNDRA")] = 1
infoViking.features[IT("FEATURE_ICE")] = 1
infoViking.boni[IT("BONUS_SHEEP")] = 1
infoViking.terrains[IT("TERRAIN_JUNGLE")] = -1
infoViking.terrains[IT("TERRAIN_DESERT")] = -1
infoViking.regionSize = 20
civInfos[IT("CIVILIZATION_VIKING")] = infoViking

I know this mapmod is definitely being accessed because when I make a mistake in the syntax it generates an all-grassland map. Unfortunately I'm really not sure that my code is having any effect on the starting positions. Take the most recent example of failure: Despite the code above, the Vikings ended up starting right next to a tropical jungle. There with no sheep, ice or tundra within twenty tiles. That's the exact opposite of what I want!

It can't have been a case of all the more preferable starting plots having already been taken either. I set all the European civs to priority = 1, so they should have been able to take all the temperate spots first. Yet instead I find China (priority = 2) starting off in a northerly sheep-ridden spot which the Vikings should have loved!

Anyone have any explanation for this? If not I'm going to have to give up on my project because I have no strong reason to believe the code I've created is having any effect whatsoever.

*being resurrected from grave by pm*

Howdy. I've only had a quick look, but regionSize=20 seems to be pretty large. Note that the algorithm looks in a region which goes 20 tiles in any direction from the starting position. So the real region is actually 41x41 tiles big (maybe "regionSize" is a little bit confusing here).

Let me know if that helps.

Btw, as you might have noticed, I'm no longer active, and really haven't been in the last year or so. So anyone feel free to use the scripts for whatever. Also, if you have a question anyway, send me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

thanks for being resurrected!

I reduced all regionSize entries to 10 but to no avail. On my last test I ended up with the following results:

Civs starting within 10 tiles of sheep:
Vikings
Japan
Celts
Korea
Khmer

Civs starting with no sheep within 10 tiles:
Egypt
Mali
Rome
Russia
England
Holy Roman Empire

So that's three non-European civs sat in what should be ideal European starting positions, with four European civs left inexplicably sheepless. I don't understand why this should happen given that all Europeans civs have first priority in choosing their starts.

Anyway, SlightlyMad has kindly offered to look into the code so maybe he will figure something out: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6121595#post6121595

hm, okay. I've actually moved to another country and don't have my gaming pc anymore, so I can't do any tests myself.

First of all, you could try to reduce regionSize further, if just for testing purposes. That makes it easier to see what's really close to the starting position. I recommend 6 or something.

Secondly, you could play around with the values a little bit. In particularly, you should set the value for boni higher than that for terrains, because they appear less often. What the algorithm does is to count all the things withing range, multiply each count with it's corresponding value, and add everything up. With your setting, a single jungle tile withing range will basically negate one sheep resource within range...

So if you really want to know if the sheep thing works, make it the only flavor setting for that civ, and then look at what you get...

Edit: And I should have thought about putting the mapmod into the general forums myself a long time ago, silly me.

Edit2: Probably better to move the discussion to the other thread in order to have it in one place.

Dreiche2,

So I downloaded both FfH_flavor_mapmod.zip, FfH_SmartMap.zip.
There is no edits needed right.
When I run the game, i chose the FfH_SmartMap.

All seems to work fine, but I can't mine Iron. The resource shows up, but when mined, I don't get it.

What am I doing wrong?

VvW

Top Bottom