We Need A CivWin Map Editor

XDrake

Chieftain
I never play CivDos. I always though CivWin was the perfect version if Civ1. I had high hopes for the map editor on CivNet but that game will not let you continue playing after he score has been calculated and plays so akwardly compared to WinCiv.

I tried using the seemingly similar in filename CivNet saved games with maps I made but WinCiv will not load them.

There are scenerios of WinCiv I would love to breath life into again. Just as all is lost a new continent emerges from the sea. A continent divided because of floods and islands appearing and vanishing. One can create new lands to conquer. I would love it.

CIV DOS graphics is much more pleasant than that of CivWin (IMHO, of course). And there's a great map editor for it (TerraForm by our dear Dack). So download DOSBox and join the action ;).

Pardon the bump, but it's better than creating a new thread.

yeah that would be nice, but doesnt seams like someone is working on that :(

A map editor for CivWin IS in progress. I received code and program capable of unpacking the .sav file (It's compressed), slightly modifying it and repacking it quite a long time ago but never spent too much time with it as I had no C# compiler and the program was incredibly buggy. (The most major bugs were the inability to re-load a save file after it was modified and the fact that the save file was drastically increased in size) A few months ago I got a C# compiler and just within a few days have fixed some major bugs (The two mentioned bugs) in the program and have now begun the tedious task of deciphering the uncompressed file.

I gave Dack the code recently in the hopes of speeding up the process, but I have a more stable and improved version than he does. If I get enough response, I'll make a .NET non-dependent version just to uncompress and re-compress the .sav file. Naturally, the file would have to be edited using a hex editor, but more than one person helping to decipher the file would be incredibly helpful.

Civ DOS rules, it's better than WinCIV (more playable). Xdrake, i have read all your posts about your games (african continent, Port Drake and Drake city...

Try to get a CIVDOS and you will see...

I think you missed the point of my post Khilak. Besides I for one, prefer to play CivWin over CivDos. Each of us has different tastes.

Also the possibility of a map editor for CivWin is incredible. This would be a historical moment when CivWin receives its first program capable of modifying it. The only reason CivDos is so playable is because of the programs for it. Perhaps one day, we'll have a CivWin version with CivDos graphics.

Good luck then! I will try CivWin some day, my father got some diskettes in his old box and i guess it shall be still there.

I know not much about hex editing so i guess i can't help much....i remember old times when i hex edited Ultima V saved games, but it was sooo a long time ago!

:king:

There is a Civwin map editor available now. It doesn't display the map as pretty as Terraform but it is very functional. If you are interested in it send me a message.

Good luck then! I will try CivWin some day, my father got some diskettes in his old box and i guess it shall be still there.

I know not much about hex editing so i guess i can't help much....i remember old times when i hex edited Ultima V saved games, but it was sooo a long time ago!

:king:

Your mention of Ultima V brought back great memories of using PEEK and POKE to hack Ultima II on the Apple ][+ to get more money and better weapons.

Ah, those were the days! LOL.

Yes, definitely we need it!

I just stuck to very boring position behind a comp on that I have no permission to install anything - extremely disappointing for one, that normally walking around with case full of software CD an likely stuff; got lucky, the USB ports work - neighbors don't, ah yes, not to mention, no net connection at all (there definitely is someone with paranoid features); so I reviewed my memory banks and numerous records for good flash solution of a time killer - and end my chose exactly on CivWin. I had very funny week with little time to sleep, and fully remembered how addicted I was to Civ1 some 15yrs ago. But I remembered also a my nice heavily hacked 'adjusted' version of Civ, with 2moves settlers, 2food per irrigation, slightly different terrain and special resources and so on and on...

It was DOS for sure, I sometime mastered almost every bit of *.sve file and most of data fields at Civ.exe, even some features of *.map in hex editor, but that was long, long time ago, and I almost giving up programming since then.

And right now I like the Win version, even the graphics somehow, unit graphics I found even better that DOS version, may be only map is worse and some other, minor things. So I find this site - in hope someone already wrote an editor for it, but...

Yes, I definitely test CivCracker from MountainMn10 right now, it seems promising if it works for me, but I doubt whether it will do all I would like to...
If it leaves behind expanded version of *.sav file, is a great temptation to again resort to HexEdit, unfortunately, my favored HexWorkshop this time will not help much. Finding for one of comparable usability, that not need to pre-install will be another issue.
And - any advice about CivWin.exe? How badly it differs from DOS version? Does anyone here have worked with it?

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread; a n00b to the forums here, clearly.

What's the latest on an editor for CivWin? I like CivDos for sentimental reasons but strongly prefer CivWin (easier on my eyes).

The unsaid consensus here seems to be that posting to old topics is fine and even encouraged, which is a reasonable position to take on a low-traffic forum like this. Personally I always try to find an old conversation when appropriate.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread...
The unsaid consensus here seems to be that posting to old topics is fine and even encouraged... Personally I always try to find an old conversation when appropriate.

I agree with this philosophy. How many new questions about CIV 1 can there be? Also there is a wealth of knowledge and opinion in old threads.

Top Bottom