COTM42 - Final Spoiler

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

COTM 42 Final Spoiler; Game Submitted

Reading Requirements:
You may only read this thread if:
  1. You have completed and submitted your game.

Posting Restrictions:
  1. None! As long as its related to the GOTM, and within the forum rules!
  2. And ... Absolutely NO discussion of any other active 'X'OTM contest!

Here's your chance to tell us how your late game victory went, or any details you haven't posted from an AA or MA conquest or domination.

I didn't bother to finish my game, it was a clear loss.

I felt that Predator played rather tough on this one. The Hittites starting position was fantastic, as well as the Iroquois. Both were powerhouse civilizations.

I had a very hard time getting any shields. I was rich on food and commerce. This made it hard to get going into any concrete war to take down the superpowers.

In the end, after the Iroquois and I took down America, I built 50 knights and tried to destroy the Iroquois. I managed to destroy a good chunk of their core, but after they got rifles and cavalry, it was a little too much for my battered empire. Eventually, I gave up when I lost 3 armies in one turn to terrible odds, one combat in which an 11/13 cavalry army lost to a 4 hp rifleman in a city. Just horrible. Even if I had beaten the Iroquois, the Hittites had gotten to Replaceable Parts (whereas I was at the beginning of the Industrial age). No one was powerful enough to stop them either: they were rolling over Carthage, reaping the benefits of the destruction of the Iroquois, and had already destroyed Spain. Babylon was their good friend, and then England was pathetic.

I still don't understand quite how I lost.

Here's your chance to tell us how your late game victory went, or any details you haven't posted from an AA or MA conquest or domination.

I'll take a chance and say no one got an AA victory. The Hittites start alone would make this go well into the Medieval times.

-Elear

As Kramer stated as he slapped his money down: “I’m out”. And I so looked forward to this game too.
My game started reasonably well, with fertile areas nearby I thought I produced a good amount of settlers. Tech pace was good and I was able to sell some to Carthage who was behind the rest.
My scouts were mostly ineffective except at finding barb camps and a quick death. Though I did finally pop a hut and got Lit. Ponies were nowhere near.
America raced westward and cut me off from the peninsula to the left. I still was able to settle next to the iron and secure that resource though I was unable to get it hooked up to my civ at that time. My reputation was good and the AI attitude was decent as I traded well and gave in to all demands. I wanted to keep peace until I had iron hooked up. Everything was going well.
Just a few turns from having iron in the pipeline I chose to revolt. That’s when the sh** hit the fan. First turn into anarchy the great Iroquois nation showed up on the horizon in the form of a stack of MW. The second turn they declared war and proceeded to hammer on my cities. This was when the fatal flaw of my game plan was revealed.:( In my desire to keep up with the other civs I had under-defended my cities. My military (archers) was not near as they were on the peninsula training against Barbs. Single and dual spears garrisoned in the cities were not enough to thwart the onslaught on the Iroquois.
By the time anarchy(7 turns) was over and the Iroquois would talk to me I was crippled beyond repair. I was left with two cities, one of which I gave for peace.
I now had 1 city, but I had iron!:goodjob: Iroquois then declared on America, and I had a front row seat. Several turns later America begged me to ally against the Iroquois. A few techs and all their gold, yeah sure. The Iroquois took a few more American cities then it was my turn. My defenders fought valiantly but re-enforcements of MW sealed my doom.
All in all, it was a fun game until my spectacular and speedy demise.

Predator class, going for space.

When I entered the Industrial Age in 430 AD, I was still in a phony war with the Hittites. I had control of most of my home continent, and the Hittites were set up to be my research partner and controlled most of their continent.

Upon entering the Industrial Age, I signed peace with the Hittites and gifted them up so they could immediately start Nationalism and the optional techs following it, and then hopefully still get me Replaceable Parts and Flight. Of course, I gifted the Babylonians up as well – they get Medicine, so I went full speed toward Steam Power.

I also redeclared on the Iroquois by sinking a galley with a carrack to start my Golden Age. My Golden Age enabled me to knock Steam Power down to 5 turns, and it also boosted my production of knights so that the Iroquois war started going faster. I captured the last Iroquois city in 610, but they still had a settler somewhere – the Iroquois lasted over 600 years (all the way until the end of the game) without ever founding a new capital.

After discovering Steam Power in 470, I learned the awful truth that there was not a single source of coal on my entire continent. The good news was that the Hittites had expanded enough so that they had 3 sources of coal within their borders; the bad news was that they didn’t have a road on even 1 of them yet. I immediately gave them Steam Power hoping that they would connect it faster, but it was 640 AD before I finally managed to trade for an extra source and start railroading.

My major mistake of the Industrial Age was letting the Hittites destroy Babylon. I knew I wanted to give the Babs a city on my continent and protect them, but I kept forgetting, and in 530, the Hittites eliminated Babylon costing me a free Modern Age tech. The Hittites also eliminated England, but nobody missed them.

My Industrial Age research was:

470 – Steam Power (5 turns).
520 – Electricity (5).
560 – Scientific Method (4).
600 – Industrialization (4).
640 – Corporation (4).
680 – Steel (4).
730 – Refining (5).
750 – Trade for Replaceable Parts.
780 – Combustion(5).
820 – Mass Production (4)
860 – Motorized Transportation (4).
900 – Atomic Theory (4).
940 – Electronics (4).
960 – Trade for Flight with 2 turns to go on it myself and enter the Modern Age.

The same turn as entering the Modern Age, I completed the Theory of Evolution picking up Computers and Miniaturization. Due to a horribly mistimed prebuild, it was another 9 turns before I completed the Internet, but my scientist farms were so effective that I could do 4-turn research without it for a couple techs.

I was really looking forward to the AI actually providing some Modern Age techs for once. The Hittites were a commercial civ with a very large land area on Emperor level, but I completed Ecology, Synthetic Fibers, Fission, Nuclear Power, and I was partway through the Laser before they finally showed up with Rocketry in 1150 (they also provided such wonderful techs as Sanitation and Amphibious War).

After trading for Rocketry, I found that civ_steve was also kind enough not to have a single source of aluminum on our continent. Fortunately, once again the Hittites had multiple sources so I could trade for it.

Four turn techs throughout the Modern Age and only Rocketry from the AI gave me a launch date of 1290.

My research section:

i've reached domination limit more than 200 turns before end - i've taken land from Americans, Iroqs (both eliminated), Carthage (1CC on 1 tile island), England, Hititties.
Latter ones were actually quite annoying, cause they had something about 100 cavs (early IA - no Inf yet) - so my cav's armies had tough time.
i stopped research after RP for a long time.
then i turned to build markets, aquas, harbours where useful to maximize population.
the very turn i built Internet, i had browsed through War Academy's article - cause of culture produced by all those RLabs. well, it turned out that sea tiles do not count into domination limit, only into territory score (good!).

In 1970 i started last campaign which resulted in destroying Hititties (about 20 cities/metros left) and leaving Babs (4 cities, still in early IA) with one town in tundra. all lasted just few turns (last H city was far away on an island).

when i thought that every thing was set up for histo (all aquas, markets, harbours built, workers had joined towns...), ~50 turns after building Internet
(i believe that _just_) one city expanded its cultural borders onto two coastal tiles.... :mad: :mad:
triggering domination victory...
it was in 1999 - so few hundreds points lost.
CAII shows only 2 tiles over the limit - i'll have to be more careful next time!

nice game! i had good time playing it, even though lack of time.

Entry class : Open
Game status : Domination for Portugal
Victory date : 1999AD
Score: 9888
Jason score: 7431
Time played: 45:51:06

cities : 182, pop : 1642, territory 1431

Originally planed to SS. But run out of time and turned to diplo at 1300, that got at 1315 AD.

Sorry Ivan...
I also ran out of time and came up with a diplo win. I was heading for it all the way but forgot to time the prebuild in the hurry... :crazyeye:

Babs got Fission in 990, I got it in 1020 but the prebuild (in the capital :wallbash: ) did not finish before 1050. :suicide:
If I get beaten, I hope it's not by a margin of less then six turns :shifty:

Predator
Game status: Diplomatic Victory for Portugal
Game date: 1060 AD
Firaxis score: 7512
Jason score: 9694

edit: :bowdown: Impressive finish chamnix!

Top Bottom