Many Leaders Game 5 - One City Challenge

Spoiler r_rolo :
the religion is worth it according to the OCC experts. The shrine apparently pays for your maintenance and unit upkeep for the entire game. Henge get's me Great prophet which get's me a shrine. And that is why i chose to go the religious path.

oh and i get horse :D Thank you triviai for showing me :) :) :)

De Gaulle, -2000BC

Spoiler :

I'm happy I took a leader with a UU that doesn't require special resources, because I wouldn't count on metals nearby on this map. The best area to settle seems to be on the wine east of the river, so I move the settler. My warriors pops Fishing from a hut, but I don't think this will be very helpful.

My strategy will be to get ahead in research so that I reach gunpowder and nationalism before my opponents, and then to build/draft a superior army. There will probably not be any early warfare, unless I'm attacked. Because of this I'm not researching BW or AH, but instead try for an early religion with Mysticism/Polytheism. Unfortunately I miss out by two lousy turns :( I instead get mining and decide to try for both Stonehenge and the Oracle (I'm industrial after all). Stonehenge was completed in 2520, and at 2000 I will get the Oracle in the next turn. After the Oracle I plan to take time to build some troops, having neglected the army so far.

Attachments

• De Gaulle BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    34.3 KB · Views: 86
Spoiler :
Looking at the start, I was glad to have a scout as my initial unit. A move 1NE revealed a coastal location with Clams. Let's take another step SE...bingo: flood plains and elephants :woohoo:. It's short on production with only one hill, but I'm CHM and therefore long on happy, so I'll been whipping a lot, methinks:

Meet Monty's scout in fairly short order: not surprised to see him in this game. I decided to start with Poly/Scout for the happy from Hindu temple, and to give me a culture boost in order to push out my borders as fast as possible to maximize the chance of getting metal in my borders.

Buddhism FIDL on the same turn. Gilgamesh is located immediately to my East: a creative, protective neighbour close up, just when I was planning a rush :rolleyes: Think it'll have to wait for another game...

I celebrate meeting Asoka the Hippy by hutting Archery, but a scout soon gets eaten by a lion. Meet Ragnar in BC 2640, a disappointment to have such a competent and aggressive AI in this game :p

Complete Pottery on turn 50 to round off the set nicely. Disappointed (but not surprised given the terrain) that we've neither horses nor copper.

Techs: Poly, Fishing, Agri (hut), Mining, AH, Archery (hut), BW, Wheel, Pottery.

Builds: Scout, Worker, WB, Barracks, Warrior, Archer, Archer (I think).

Plans: I'm putting EPs into Gilga as I want to see what he's up to. I know Monty well enough that I don't need to spy on the old loony! It looks like I'll only be able to rush if Iron is already in my borders, so there's no much to say here. Longer term, being coastal will let me train galleys in order to get my troops to the frontlines more rapidly.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/96651/Boudica_BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave

@Swiss Pauli
Spoiler :
Interesting decision of going coastal.....The site is not bad, but coastal is not great position for a OCC, even counting with Moai and collosus.

Random comments
Spoiler :

TLO - glad someone else took that site as well! :) I really liked it - high production makes me happy in these games.

SP - that's a really interesting start there. I kinda wanted coastal as well, but scouted in the wrong direction for it. Be fascinated to see how that goes over time, but it looks good!

Generally - think it's cool to see how many different opening gambits are going on. Really like the oracle/SH doubles people have gone for. Great Prophets are incredibly desirable for this game? Glad to provide a horse revealing service!

Oz - so that's where my share of the lucky huts went! :) I got the double scout xp and general crap. No way that should make yours a shadow IMO - it's luck of the draw and these things even out over time?

Spoiler :
Oz - so that's where my share of the lucky huts went! I got the double scout xp and general crap. No way that should make yours a shadow IMO - it's luck of the draw and these things even out over time?

I only got 1 hut and it was a map. :(

Swiss Pauli - wanted to go coastal as well. But i decided, to go south for the prod. Didn't see the jumbo's

Ramesses II

Pre-Game Thoughts
Spoiler :
Ramesses is Spiritual and Industrious. I chose Spiritual because I think it is a great warmonger trait. I also like the added flexibility that it will give me in OCC. I'm not sure, though, if it is worth sacrificing the Expansive's +2:health: given the floodplains in this game. Probably not if this were a space race. My reasoning behind Industrious should be fairly obvious: I plan on being a wonder hog. :D

Ramesses' early UU is the War Chariot. Even though its extra strength allows for some early :hammer: I am looking for it to provide some early defenses against the barbs. Ramesses' UB is an Obelisk that allows me to hire a couple of priests. I'm not sure that I will get much mileage out of the UB. At least not initially.

My opening game plan involves 3 wonders: Pyramids, Oracle, and Great Library. I intend to neglect infrastructure and defense while doing this. This will end up being a disastrous move if I get a barbarian uprising on my borders. :eek: I want the Pyramids first, because they will take so long to build. But the extra happiness from Representation will allow me to grow the city since you'll notice that the Globe isn't on my initial list. The Oracle is for the CS slingshot. And the Great Library for obvious reasons. After that, I plan on cranking out troops for defense and then, after backfilling, its a beeline to Education and Oxford University. Then Cannons and Grenadiers to rule the world ... well, that's the plan anyway ... but since I haven't even founded a city yet ...

And what an ugly starting location we have. :undecide: Settle in place or move west? The problem with this start is that there just aren't enough hills. Settling in place will net me 3 hills. Moving 1 west will net me a fourth hill, but it has pigs on it. The pigs will mean 5 food, but no extra production. I don't normally like to settle on top of the wine, since a winery will bring in an extra food plus some gold.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided on moving one west. Monarchy isn't on my immediate tech path, so I won't have a winery for the foreseeable future. And picking up the silks will provide more commerce than the winery. Also, I will gain the extra food from the floodplain that the Settler is standing on, in addition to the extra food from the pigs. That food will come in handy to fight the health issues, as every pop over the limit will require 3 food rather than 2 food.

Turns 1 - 50
Spoiler :
Thebes was founded in 4000BC atop the wines resource. It immediately began building a Worker. Research was set for Mining->Masonry->Bronze Working.

Popped 44 gold from a seaside hut ... and then discovered some fish that I'll never be able to connect up. Maybe I'll get lucky and a neighbor will plant a city there before my culture consumes the tile.

The next hut would pop me Bronze Working! :banana:

No copper to be found, of course. :sad: I do spy some elephants, though, that will one day be mine.

After Masonry completes, I begin the trek to Priesthood via Polytheism. Hinduism is still available (Buddhism is gone) and poly is a pre-requisite for Literature.

I begin construction of the Pyramids as soon as my Worker is complete. It is showing a very reasonable 500 turns to completion. :lol: The Worker heads towards the corn. After the corn is farmed, it is back to the plains hill and a mine. I also want to mine the pigs, at least until my wonders are completed.

So much for good luck from the goody huts ...

My Warrior kills the lion but then gets killed by the first barb Warrior. That means there are 3 barb Warriors potentially heading my way. A prudent player would probably start work on another Warrior or even begin researching Archery. I decide to stick to my gameplan, and my army of 1 Worker, for the moment.

However, once I was beaten to Hinduism, I decided to set research to Hunting->Archery after all. Just in case. :scared:

My decision to change research was validated 1 turn later when the original physco-dude shows up!

Monty?!?!? You had to make Monty our neighbor, Ozbenno? :gripe:

With 490 turns remaining on the Pyramids, I decided to switch production to a Scout. And shortly thereafter, an Archer.

Research was set to Pottery->Writing after Priesthood completed. I think I'm going to need a cottage or two for the CS slingshot.

And in 2000BC, a border pop reveals a couple of Sumerian Warriors. Don't recall playing against him, so I'm not sure if Gilgamesh is a reasonable fellow or not.

I'm 13 turns away from the Pyramids. The Oracle is showing as 9 turns and I've still got Writing, Mathematics, and Code of Laws to research. With the lack of commerce and my detour to Archery, I'm rather concerned about pulling off the CS slingshot. :undecide: Also, it wasn't on my original to do list, but I might take the 9 turns to build the Great Wall, as well.

I've also been giving some thought to the 5 national wonder limit. My list will definitely include Oxford University, Globe Theatre, and Heroic Epic. I'm also leaning towards the National Epic. The last one will probably either be the National Park or Ironworks. Probably Ironworks, but I'm not really sure of the best way to go at the moment. Both are late game builds, though, so I've plenty of time to decide ...

Above is a screenshot of my little part of the world. I've drawn in where the border should be once the city hits legendary status. With a Granary and a Grocer, I'm looking at 6 health before any trading. That is not much.

Attachments

• Ramesses II BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37.9 KB · Views: 80
Stupid Augustus - @2000BC
Spoiler :

As Augustus, I plan on going all out military conquest (well, to be honest, I always go all out military conquest in all my SP games :blush: ). I don't care about any of the other stuff. That means I need a production monster. I'm also going to try and get as many luxury as I can into my border to help with the unhappiness that will definitely arise.

The start looks ok to me, but I've had bad experiences with flood plains causing too much unhealthiness. And since this is prince, I can afford a few initial turns looking for a better location.

The question is do I scout east or west .... I decided to gamble. I sent the warrior to the pig hill, and the settler to the plains hill.

Hmmm ... doesn't look to bad, but not that great. Another move is in order. Warrior NW and settler 2E1S.

Better. 3 plains hills, 1 grass hill, some floodplains, plenty of grassland and plains, and silk and wine lux. I decided to settle on the plains 1W1N. Hopefully, iron will be within reach, if not then I've just signed my death warrant :p

Rome found. Starts a worker and set research to Agriculture.

Border expands and I get another lux (ivory) is within reach, woohoo. Unfortunately, I also miscalculated about not being next to a river and miscounted those 5 floodplains as 4 floodplains and they are killing me already :(

Agriculture in, bronze working next.

Rome: worker -> warrior.

Bronze working in, Iron working next. Revolted to slavery and notices no bronze ... dang.

Monte shows up from the west.

Gilgamesh is close by to my east.

Ragnar shows up from the west as well.

Iron Working comes in, and it's just outside my border!!! Starts wheel.

Wheel comes in, starts AH to hook up them pigs and sheeps to help with the health issues.

Met Asoka from the east.

My empire at 2000BC.

Notice how inexperience I am with OCC. I don't have anything to build except warriors until I can get Rome to expand so I can hook up that iron. My mindset is all about find out where the closest iron is and send a settler there until I realized I can't build settlers :p I was baffled for a minute before I remembered that it's OCC.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37 KB · Views: 103
Ozbenno gave me a Shaka save if anyone dropped out. Im gonna play it out and he will at least have the saves if he ever needs them.

ROUND 1
Spoiler :

Lets take a look at Shaka

Not exactly my first choice in a OCC game. The extra health is gonna come in handy though. Without being Industrious and without marble or stone, Im gonna have to really pick and choose which wonders to go after. Pyramids and Oracle are my early choice as well as a CS sling. If I make it to gunpowder, then the free combat 1 will do nicely. That promotion allows me to get my favorite unit faster....a woodsman 3 medic 3 unit. 40% healing is stupid crazy awesome.

2 girls pillow fighting....awesome
2 guys pillow fighting...stupid
2 pillows pillow fighting....crazy
Medic 3, woodsman3...stupid crazy awesome

I settled on the wine

T0....Archery First...worker first
T9....not gonna bore you with scout action but I did get the Wheel from a hut

T13...worker--->Ikhanda
T16...AH--->Mining
T21...Mining--->Pottery
T28...Pottery--->Writing....Im gonna get a Library asap to run 2 scientist and to speed up the sling

T32...First Archer done--->Archer
T38...Writing--->Myst...Library started
T42...Myst--->BW
T47...Library done...Hire 2 scientist while working 3 cottages

T48...BW...Masonry.....Ill work on Pyramids till I can time the Oracle
T50...1 turn from Masonry and 14 turns from a scientist.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/97311/Shaka_BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave

Round 2
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6224210&postcount=99

Round 3
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6232059&postcount=118

Round 4
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6257803&postcount=161

Round 5
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6283867&postcount=197

Round 6
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6300676&postcount=236

The Final Countdown
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6302822&postcount=258

I thought long about who to be in this one but it all came down to i'd never really played Toku and this just seemed the ideal opporunity. if there is iron available the Samurai looks to be one of the best mid era UU's if not then the aggressive and protective traits run all the way to Infantry for end game warring
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

i moved the warrior 1 north but saw nothing worth moving that way, i was sorely tempted to move the settler just 1 east and settle on the wines but i decided to have a look to the south so moved onto the hill 1 south 1 south east. although nothing more interesting was seen it was what wasnt seen which interested me, no resources which meant plent of space for copper,horses or iron to pop. the corn and pigs were still in range for health, silk and wine for happiness, we are still on the river, and the extra hammer boost would be nice.

so... settle on the hill

the pop from settling reveals sheep in range but nothing else.

worker is started while my tech path will be agri-mining

Turn 2. and my warrior pops a hut for....22g... hmph but could have been worse.

Turn 8 BFIDL

Turn 9 agri is in start mining

Turn 10 and a hut gives me mining:goodjob: . start hunting

Turn 13 worker is completed start Barracks

Turn 14 HFIDL

Turn 15 Hunting in start Archery

Turn 21 Archery in start Pottery - Writing- BW

Turn 22 ...

Turn 23 ....

Turn 24 ...

turn 26 barracks complete start archer, archers will all start with garrison 1, drill 1 and another promo...:D

Turn 28 my only event so far:(

Turn 33 Archer - Granary started

Turn 39 Ragner asks for OB. i agree Granary is completed start Library

Turn 48 BW in start AH, no copper.... Library completed

My little city State

[/SPOILER

Attachments

• Tokugawa BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37.2 KB · Views: 88
Churchill, Round 1, 4000 BC - 2000 BC

Spoiler :

So, where to found that city ? I decide to move one east and settle on the wine. The reasoning behind: I'll keep the river and get more plains tiles I will use as workshops later on. Also the pigs are in the BFC then, giving me food galore along with the corn and the FP.

I start with a Worker, research goes into BW. My warrior explores and gets lucky:

BW comes in. No Copper anywhere. Hm. That doesn't sound good...

My warrior explores further and has some more luck:

Meet these two fine gentlemen:

After BW I went for Animal Husbandry. No horses either in the BFC. I then went for Iron Working.

As I smelt trouble ahead I built me a Wall...

Fallback defensive tech:

The immediate sorroundings of London:

Great. So much for the map generator always placing strategic resources near the BFC. I'll need two border pops more to grab Iron and Horses. Nice. Meanwhile Archers must do it, at least I'm protective. I'll work the hill mines and hope for a pop too.

Monty and Gilgamesh are close. Cool.

My tech pace: Masonry (goody hut) => BW => Agriculture (goody hut) => animal Husbandry => Iron Working => hunting => Archery => the wheel (currently researching, due in 6).

This will be an interesting ride...

Imhotep

Spoiler The Log :
London founded
London begins: Worker (15 turns)
Research begun: Bronze Working (12 Turns)
Reminder: On Turn 40, Stop playing

IBT:

Turn 1/500 (3960 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:26:30]

IBT:

Turn 2/500 (3920 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:26:38]
Tech learned: Masonry
Tribal village results: technology

IBT:

Turn 3/500 (3880 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:26:53]

IBT:

Turn 4/500 (3840 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:26:58]
London's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 5/500 (3800 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:27:02]

IBT:

Turn 6/500 (3760 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:27:28]

IBT:

Turn 7/500 (3720 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:27:34]

IBT:

Turn 8/500 (3680 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:27:37]

IBT:

Turn 9/500 (3640 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:27:41]

IBT:

Turn 10/500 (3600 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:27:44]

IBT:

Turn 11/500 (3560 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:27:47]
Tech learned: Bronze Working

IBT:

Turn 12/500 (3520 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:27:52]
Research begun: Agriculture (6 Turns)

IBT:

Turn 13/500 (3480 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:28:14]

IBT:
Buddhism founded in a distant land

Turn 14/500 (3440 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:28:18]
Tech learned: Agriculture
Tribal village results: technology
Research begun: Animal Husbandry (10 Turns)
London finishes: Worker

IBT:
While defending in the wild, Warrior defeats (2.00/2): Barbarian Lion (Prob Victory: 78.7%)

Turn 15/500 (3400 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:28:38]
London begins: Warrior (15 turns)

IBT:

Turn 16/500 (3360 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:28:49]

IBT:
Contact made: Sumerian Empire
While defending in the wild, Warrior defeats (1.72/2): Barbarian Lion (Prob Victory: 98.8%)
Civics Change: Gilgamesh(Sumeria) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 17/500 (3320 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:28:55]
Warrior promoted: Woodsman I

IBT:

Turn 18/500 (3280 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:29:08]

IBT:

Turn 19/500 (3240 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:29:13]

IBT:
Hinduism founded in a distant land

Turn 20/500 (3200 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:29:17]
A Farm was built near London

IBT:

Turn 21/500 (3160 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:29:23]
London grows: 2

IBT:

Turn 22/500 (3120 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:29:32]

IBT:

Turn 23/500 (3080 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:29:36]
Tech learned: Animal Husbandry

IBT:
Contact made: Aztec Empire

Turn 24/500 (3040 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:29:46]
Research begun: Iron Working (19 Turns)

IBT:
Attitude Change: Montezuma(Aztec) towards MLG V - Imhotep(England), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 25/500 (3000 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:30:18]
London grows: 3

IBT:

Turn 26/500 (2960 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:30:23]
A Mine was built near London
London finishes: Warrior

IBT:

Turn 27/500 (2920 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:30:29]
London begins: The Great Wall (30 turns)

IBT:

Turn 28/500 (2880 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:31:03]

IBT:
Attitude Change: Montezuma(Aztec) towards Gilgamesh(Sumeria), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 29/500 (2840 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:31:10]

IBT:

Turn 30/500 (2800 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:31:16]

IBT:

Turn 31/500 (2760 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:31:21]
London grows: 4

IBT:
Attitude Change: Montezuma(Aztec) towards Gilgamesh(Sumeria), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 32/500 (2720 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:31:28]
A Pasture was built near London

IBT:

Turn 33/500 (2680 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:31:33]

IBT:

Turn 34/500 (2640 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:31:57]

IBT:

Turn 35/500 (2600 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:32:02]

IBT:
Judaism founded in a distant land

Turn 36/500 (2560 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:32:11]

IBT:

Turn 37/500 (2520 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:32:16]

IBT:
Civics Change: Montezuma(Aztec) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 38/500 (2480 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:32:21]

IBT:

Turn 39/500 (2440 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:32:26]

IBT:

Turn 40/500 (2400 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:32:39]
Reminder: Stop playing
London grows: 5

IBT:

Turn 41/500 (2360 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:34:33]
A Mine was built near London
Tech learned: Iron Working

IBT:

Turn 42/500 (2320 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:34:51]
Research begun: Hunting (4 Turns)

IBT:

Turn 43/500 (2280 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:35:42]

IBT:

Turn 44/500 (2240 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:35:48]
London finishes: The Great Wall

IBT:
Attitude Change: Montezuma(Aztec) towards MLG V - Imhotep(England), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 45/500 (2200 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:36:16]
London begins: Barracks (5 turns)
Tech learned: Hunting

IBT:

Turn 46/500 (2160 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:37:24]
Research begun: Archery (5 Turns)

IBT:
While defending in the wild near Eridu, Warrior defeats (1.86/2): Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 95.8%)

Turn 47/500 (2120 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:37:55]
London's borders expand

IBT:
Attitude Change: Montezuma(Aztec) towards MLG V - Imhotep(England), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 48/500 (2080 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:38:06]

IBT:
Attitude Change: Montezuma(Aztec) towards MLG V - Imhotep(England), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 49/500 (2040 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:38:24]
Tech learned: Archery
London finishes: Barracks

IBT:

Turn 50/500 (2000 BC) [02-Dec-2007 14:38:39]
Research begun: The Wheel (6 Turns)
London begins: Archer (3 turns)

·Imhotep·;6208882 said:
Spoiler :
Great. So much for the map generator always placing strategic resources near the BFC. I'll need two border pops more to grab Iron and Horses.
Spoiler :
As I settled the exact same spot as you, I really do hope that you are correct. :please: But I suspect that it might take 3 border pops before the iron is within our borders. :sad:

Spoiler :
2 girls pillow fighting....awesome
2 guys pillow fighting...stupid
2 pillows pillow fighting....crazy
Medic 3, woodsman3...stupid crazy awesome
:rotfl:

Walked the settler around a lot until I found a spot that was .... ?? I don't know. Never played an OCC. It looks OK to me.
Spoiler :

Some grassland, some hills.

Got the Henge done, and met these neighbors. You can guess who they are from these visual clues.

That's all of them eh? small map.

Wise-@$$ comments from an OCC-noob :king:

Spoiler :

@TriviAl
I like your opening. GW surely comes handy for the early-game dealing with the barbs. You city placement proved right too, especially since Imho revealed the iron :mad: (@ iron, not Imho ;))
Still, I think I prefer GProph to GSpy, and the Barbs may be useful to early promote nice garrisons.

@r_rolo1
Nice start too. I always love when exp players settle where I did, makes me feel wiser than I really am :)
The early mids and CS slingshot will skyrocket your game if you achieve them. Are you going SE after that ?

@TLO
Double religion and the Henge :goodjob:
Are you going for more religions ? Anyway, strong beginning IMHO.

@Oz
Great strike of luck but you're playing a great game even without it :goodjob:
Two religions and a highway to the CS shot, I wouldn't do better.

@yena
Basically we are going pretty much the same way, though I will grab MC from the Oracle instead of CoL. Too bad for the early religion, in my game they went at the lighting speed too.

@Swiss Pauli
Very interesting opening - I would never thought of going coastal. Going for SE I presume ?
On the other hand, it's always nice to have high-food / globe city :devil:

@Conroe
I've been also thinking about the CS slingshot but am in pretty much similar situation - I still have to research Writing, CoL & Math :lol: Will be for the next time. Your early mids look tasty, I think starting them shortly after Oracle.

@berserks01
No worry :) I'm as bad as you, it's my brand first game :lol:
And you will grab the iron pretty soon - with the UU of yours you may even try and pull off the fastest OCC win here - with my Panzer I'm up for several rounds :D

@Cabledawg
First CE game I see in here! Great to compare how it works out between wonder-prod games, food-whip games, SE and CE. Shaka the OCC-er will be fun to follow :)

@AdHoc
I think you're up for a nice game too. With Samurais, given the opposition, you have slight advantage on late-gamers. Providing a nice production (which, given all those farms around, I assume is what you are aiming at) you can have a pretty nice built/whipped army to rule the early world.

@Imhotep
Fully agree! We were robbed given the lack of early strategic ressources. Maybe we'll have the Oil late in the game ? :rolleyes:
Nice opener too, but I'm reluctant as for the GW use. Unless you use the GSpies for your conquest... :devil:

@mice
I'm amazed at your location choice. Honestly, I wouldn't settle this spot - 2 deserts, non-river city, giving up the piggies for cows (which is rather a positive point in fact :blush:). But you have a nice mix prod/food and are further from the FPlains (is surely better for the health of your city).
Looking forward to see how it goes.

I choose wine-spot because I din't want to wander too much through the neighborhood. It seems to be a good choice - most popular until now :). I think about settling my Prophets and getting the Angkor later on, it should provide me with a nice early-game boost. I will go MC from the Oracle, half-cost forge right ahead and get Masonry for the Mids. Further plans ? Err, none for the moment :) Early-Drama for the early-Globe ?

Mice and Berzerks01
Spoiler :
Im amazed at berzerks01 and Mice...for their choice of starting poisitions. Neither has fresh water. Berzerks doesnt even have a food bonus. Guess it was real lucky of him to find the only iron close enough so his praets will be able to bash heads. I wonder how he knew that iron wouldnt be in our starting BFC? Hes a lucky guy.

Mice and Berzerks01
Spoiler :
Im amazed at berzerks01 and Mice...for their choice of starting poisitions. Neither has fresh water.

I must have been drunk at the time. :crazyeye: After I thought, Oh s**t .

But it gives me a hole to dig out of. I really didn't see the desert tiles until after I pushed the button.

Mice and Berzerks01
Spoiler :
Im amazed at berzerks01 and Mice...for their choice of starting poisitions. Neither has fresh water.
Spoiler :

I kinda had a delayed reaction here. I settled and then smacked myself a couple of turns later when I noticed the unhealthiness which I was trying to avoid.

Spoiler :
Berzerks doesnt even have a food bonus.
Spoiler :

I don't need to work the food for the bonus. I just need to hook it up. I want a real heavy production city and that start just doesn't cut it.

Spoiler :
Guess it was real lucky of him to find the only iron close enough so his praets will be able to bash heads. I wonder how he knew that iron wouldnt be in our starting BFC? Hes a lucky guy.
Spoiler :

What can I say :D Lucky me. But seriously, just think about it for a minute. From looking at the starting position, tell me if you don't think that there'd be a metal resource somewhere to the east instead of to the west. I had actually hope to nab iron/copper within my BFC by moving east.

Spoiler :
So, why Stalin? Well, Industrious for all those wonders that I'll want to build, and Aggressive, in hopes that it will become useful in the future. Anyways, on to the game:

After some pondering, I decided to take the unorthodox move and settle on the wine. I wouldn't be able to work it for a while anyways.

I began researching Agriculture and building a Worker. I got lucky with huts:

After 50 turns, here is my grand city still without a second border pop:

Stalingrad: Worker, Scout, Warrior, Pyramids

Research: Agriculture (hut), AH, BW (hut), Masonry, Writing, Wheel, Archery, Mysticism

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/96336/Stalin_BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave

Top Bottom