Many Leaders Game 4 - The Cultured Monarch

Better Late Than Never. I had actually finished this game quite some time, but didn't found the time to process th pictures. So here goes.

Spoiler :

Previously, I was on the verge of getting Liberalism. I took this break to review my situation, and decides that my religion spread is not enough. So, need a plan. Decided to beeline to Democracy for the all important US.

Thus, when Liberalism is in:

I go for nationalism. A golden age would speed up the research nicely, and the building of missionaries.

The computer also suggested a revolt to free religion. I don't think so:

Instead, free speech is a good idea.

Meanwhile, the portugese and american started to deploy in my north. They liked my wang.

SO be it. I now have ten cities, one more than the requisite. The settling of 2 more American cities close by also gives me the chanc eto convert them to Hindu, which not only gives me more money for my US operation, but more importantly, to convince Roosy to switch to Hinduism.

Taj Mahal came in ...

and I am pretty stupid. SHould have delayed TM a bit so that I can change civic during the GAge:

As I said, I managed to convince the US to adopt Hinduism, and he got pleased enough with my Wang to sign a defensive pact:

You stroke mine and I will stroke yours

And it is about time I switched to 100% culture with the arrival of the Liberty:

Should have won this a few years earlier but two things happened. First, inevitably, a city flip to my side.

I happily agreed, and then a message appeared: "You can no longer build the Globe."

WTF? Since when did they change Globe to a World Wonder???

Then it stroke me that maybe the Portugese city contains the Globe. Sh!t. Had I known it, I will never agree with the flip. :gripe:

The second thing that delayed my voctory was the prophet. Got two prophet in succession instead of artists (with >50% chance).

So, there, my Wang attains Augustus standing. It is a Wang worthy of the caesars :D

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1806.CivBeyondSwordSave
    322.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Fox Wang_AD-1808_4.CivBeyondSwordReplay
    260.8 KB · Views: 93
Make a difference, yes. But I don't think it will a big one ... if my last two GP were GArtist instead GProphet, I may beat 1750, but definitely not you guys who won in 1600s (Kudos, BTW!).

The problem with using cottage for Cultural win is it won't be an early win. your towns typically mature around 1600~1700 (I even has some villages in Wonsan when I won, I think). This also forced me to stay in Emancipation instead of Caste to increase my odds of popping GArtist. A SE-based culture win would be possible to be earlier. Industrious would depend very much on getting the early wonders, me think (since they double their culture if they existed for 1000 years).

--

The problem with using cottage for Cultural win is it won't be an early win. your towns typically mature around 1600~1700 (I even has some villages in Wonsan when I won, I think).
--

Have to respectfully disagree here ;). The earliest 3 finishes (and 4 of the top 5) were all with financial leaders using cottages (Mansu, Ragnar, Huayna and Willem). You just have to focus on getting the cottages built and worked really early on. I was always working sub optimal cottage squares, in sacrifice of some food and production to get them matured earlier. I had only towns in my top 2 cities and mainly towns in my 3rd by the end of the game.

Lurker- I like this many leader format, really shows how different you have to play for each traits....god job and keep the series up!

Have to respectfully disagree here ;). The earliest 3 finishes (and 4 of the top 5) were all with financial leaders using cottages (Mansu, Ragnar, Huayna and Willem).
Glad to be the odd one out :lol:

I had a kind of blend strategy in terms of culture production. Two of my cities - the capitol and the 3rd city were heavy commerce cities. The other city, Tokyo, was a full on production city, that I churned tons of wonders out of for culture. It was never worth jack for commerce, and finished with a pop of 12, and not a single town. (Or village, possibly - I did build some late cottages). So it wasn't all commerce whoring for me.

I think a very powerful move I made to help my cottages go faster was to have neighboring cities work some cottages for the 2 commerce legends. My capitol had 3 cottages worked by neighbors, my other commerce city had 2. I completely didn't plan this from the start, I simply noticed that the cities overlapped and realized I could use that to my advantage. Thus, when my two commerce cities quit working their production tiles to go all commerce, there were powerful commerce tiles available to be switched to immediately.

If I did it again, I'd try and set up my secondary cities to overlap more like 4-6 tiles of each legendary city.

i smell an SG somewhere in that tactic ~ cultural crutches mayhap??

Top Bottom