[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

I turned python exception display on. I also set the great people bar to maximum in bug mod options so it displays icons and percentages. I got no related pyhton exception messages. The only python exception I got is one that I have pointed out a long time ago and posted a fix for it on bug mod thread.

For you guys who had this problem I suggest the following:
1 - try to delete the beyond the sword cash (this is under Document and Settings\[username]\local settings\application data\beyond the sword\cash.

If the problem persists:
2 - To avoid missing up the display due to this error I suggest that in bug options either to set the great people bar to the simple mode (the default one), or turn it off completely.

@Grave

I honestly believe that this issue shouldn't delay releasing 1.05 especially as it is not reproducable and most of us haven't ever got it (I judge based on how many people reported it).

what is the effect of the roman roads??? and what is a constructor??
the mod is superb, it gives new life to CIV IV for me..

Hi Grave!

Can post the savegame this evening (UTC+1), not sooner.

But, as I said, this happened ONCE since I played your mod (or even since I played Civ4).

Have another game running, let´s see if this happens again.

DON´T DELAY 1.05 just because of this!

Yours, Zoid

I turned python exception display on. I also set the great people bar to maximum in bug mod options so it displays icons and percentages. I got no related pyhton exception messages. The only python exception I got is one that I have pointed out a long time ago and posted a fix for it on bug mod thread.

For you guys who had this problem I suggest the following:
1 - try to delete the beyond the sword cash (this is under Document and Settings\[username]\local settings\application data\beyond the sword\cash.

If the problem persists:
2 - To avoid missing up the display due to this error I suggest that in bug options either to set the great people bar to the simple mode (the default one), or turn it off completely.

@Grave

I honestly believe that this issue shouldn't delay releasing 1.05 especially as it is not reproducable and most of us haven't ever got it (I judge based on how many people reported it).

I just want to make sure all bugs are smoothed out before I make a next release. Don't worry... I won't delay it too long, maybe a couple days until I can at least get a clear understanding on why those python errors popped up.

Hi Grave!

Can post the savegame this evening (UTC+1), not sooner.

But, as I said, this happened ONCE since I played your mod (or even since I played Civ4).

Have another game running, let´s see if this happens again.

DON´T DELAY 1.05 just because of this!

Yours, Zoid

Yes, please post the savegame for me to look at. :)

It may have happened once, but that's one time too many. I'm kind of a perfectionist... sorry! :(

Grave:- its either BUG mod, or a fault with the graphcis of the units you or others added, pretty sure its not something you specifically did for Hitm thats caused these guys' problems.....so rock on with any adjustments.

I'm pretty sure that's the case. I make a conscious effort not to mess with python files, mainly because I hate them so much. You have to be very careful how you modify them, or they won't work properly.

And since I don't have any professional background with programming, if I did break something, I wouldn't know how to fix it... so i just leave them alone as much as possible.

At any rate, the new version will be v1.5. It'll be a whole new download, due to some file restructuring I did. Not only that, but the patch and module files were getting pretty big (Civ Fanatics has a 10mb limit) and I was pushing that limit. So a whole new revision was in order.

It may be up soon. ;)

Hello Grave,

I played 2 games of HITM over the weekend, enjoyed it immensely. Well done.

I personally did not have any problems. And I have to admit that I really didn't use any of the bells and whistles of the BUG Mod while I played. Perhaps the answer is simply to remove BUG from version 1.05 (if that is simple to do, I don't know if it is. The BUG thread seems to imply that it is.) and keep working on it for future versions. I personally would rather have a game that works and looks OK to a game that looks great but doesn't work. But I understand it is your call. :goodjob:

Aye, Im having zip, zero, nada for problems...though I dont try to play an old save when you release a new version. LOL I prolly dont do that, because of my history of playing games...when a new version would come out it would make the old save game unplayable(bear in mind thats just my history with games). I do understand you wanting to get to the root of the problem.

Just curious though about you removing un-needed religious wonders, personally i like everything you have in there since it adds so much more diversity to the game.

I agree with CC...I kind of like having as many wonders as possible...

Although I can see the potential balance issues of having as many Christian wonders as there are currently.

@Grave

Of course it is your right to have all the time you need so that you can refine your work and release the mod when you feel comfortable enough to do so. By any means nobody likes buggy software. It is a fun killer to say the least.

I however don't like you to waste your time hunting for a mirage. I am quite sure of course that the problems reported are real ones but being limited in number means that it is almost certainly local temporal failures of the BTS engine.

I looked throughly into the BUG mod code related to the reported issue and I found nothing to be wrong with it. I also looked into your XML and found nothing wrong with great people units. More importantly the GP bar works fine for me and I believe many other would say the same.

If however there is some hidden bug that gets triggered in certain situations. i.e. depending on the game played. This can be exposed only by mass play testing. So I suggest that for anyone who likes to help confirming and hunting this issue to turn on python exception display. [in My Document\My Games\Beyond the Sword\civilizationiv.ini change HidePythonException=1 to 0]. I also suggest to set GP bar in BUG options to maximum. Let's see if the problem will pop-up more often.

P.S. When turning python exceptions on you will get one unrelated exception. The following file fixes this one:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/115758/Civ4lerts.rar

Put the file inside the archive in [Assets\Python\BUG\Contrib] folder.

what is the effect of the roman roads??? and what is a constructor??
the mod is superb, it gives new life to CIV IV for me..

Extra trade routes for the city that builds the Via Appia (which gives Roman Roads)...the roads themselves act almost like mini-railroads, increasing movement for all units using them. The constructor builds them:)

I have an unrelated question that may have been brought up in this thread earlier (please don't flame b/c I don't have the time to read 54 pages of posts). If it hasn't been done already, how difficult would it be to merge HitM with another mod that adds a number of new civilizations (such as Civ Gold)?

@jofish15

I know that a BTS release of civ gold is being developed. I don't know if it will be modular or not. Anyway AFAIK whatever is modular will work well with HitM. There are many civs out there in modules. The merge can be as easy as dropping a folder in the assets\modules folder of HitM. You can pick some of these and try them out.

Great mod Grave!

I downloaded it over the weekend and can't quit playing it.

I do have a small problem. Every time I load your mod it takes the cpu about 3 1/2 minutes before the loading screen comes up. Your mod is the only one that does this. This is probably my fault, but I just wanted to see if you had any ideas what may be wrong. The game plays well, and I haven't had any problems in game yet.

Extra trade routes for the city that builds the Via Appia (which gives Roman Roads)...the roads themselves act almost like mini-railroads, increasing movement for all units using them. The constructor builds them:)

THanks!!! im going to build it.

ANother question!!! I cant load into a caravel missionare units :( why???
Great mode, im looking foward to the new versions

Grave: quick friendly reminder, Dale yesterday fixed a few bugs in DCM, so you will probably want to include new version in your 1.05.

EDIT: On a 2nd look, he said he'd fixed them, but maybe he means for the next version, so ignore the above.

It is a known bug. I guess Grave will fix it for the next patch.

i investigated, and fixed it, Grave must change en units.xml... the type of every missinary from (Unit special missionary to Unit special people) you must look the difference betwen the original files and the mod files. if grave or anyone needs help with this... please tell me and ill tell you what files adn what inside them you have to change

Great MOD!!! keep playing..

Also if the wonders are being removed for balance...just reduce what they do down to say 1 happy face in that city or perhaps say 10 culture or what not. Some could be considered a city wonder(not counting against national count) vs a global world wonder and just do an itsy bitsy amount of whatever. And for us builders(thats me :) ) the more to build the better! Frankly, I dont care if they do tons of stuff as much as they are in there to just plain build! IMHO, of course, and whatever ya do Grave ill prolly like it...just hoping to sway ya a bit, cause I love to build! :) Did I mention I love to build stuff haha :)

Hello Grave,

I played 2 games of HITM over the weekend, enjoyed it immensely. Well done.

I personally did not have any problems. And I have to admit that I really didn't use any of the bells and whistles of the BUG Mod while I played. Perhaps the answer is simply to remove BUG from version 1.05 (if that is simple to do, I don't know if it is. The BUG thread seems to imply that it is.) and keep working on it for future versions. I personally would rather have a game that works and looks OK to a game that looks great but doesn't work. But I understand it is your call. :goodjob:

THANKS! :goodjob:

I'm sure the BUG team is aware of it. I myself only do a few options on the BUG mod... the rest I leave "stock".

Aye, Im having zip, zero, nada for problems...though I dont try to play an old save when you release a new version. LOL I prolly dont do that, because of my history of playing games...when a new version would come out it would make the old save game unplayable(bear in mind thats just my history with games). I do understand you wanting to get to the root of the problem.

Usually savegames aren't backwards compatible in HiTM. Either because I do some SDK work, or change something in the XML that keeps a game from being backwards compatible.

So it's not you. :lol:

Just curious though about you removing un-needed religious wonders, personally i like everything you have in there since it adds so much more diversity to the game.

I agree with CC...I kind of like having as many wonders as possible...

Although I can see the potential balance issues of having as many Christian wonders as there are currently.

I just removed a couple of the "Christian" wonders, like Cologne, Helsinki and Zvarnot cathedrals. I left the rest of them alone. Looking at how I had the wonders set up, Christianity had an overwhelming advantage. Poor little Judaism didn't have one Wonder. :lol:

I left the Shaolin Monastery in... but changed how it functions. I'll leave it at that. ;)

@Grave

Of course it is your right to have all the time you need so that you can refine your work and release the mod when you feel comfortable enough to do so. By any means nobody likes buggy software. It is a fun killer to say the least.

I however don't like you to waste your time hunting for a mirage. I am quite sure of course that the problems reported are real ones but being limited in number means that it is almost certainly local temporal failures of the BTS engine.

I looked throughly into the BUG mod code related to the reported issue and I found nothing to be wrong with it. I also looked into your XML and found nothing wrong with great people units. More importantly the GP bar works fine for me and I believe many other would say the same.

If however there is some hidden bug that gets triggered in certain situations. i.e. depending on the game played. This can be exposed only by mass play testing. So I suggest that for anyone who likes to help confirming and hunting this issue to turn on python exception display. [in My Document\My Games\Beyond the Sword\civilizationiv.ini change HidePythonException=1 to 0]. I also suggest to set GP bar in BUG options to maximum. Let's see if the problem will pop-up more often.

P.S. When turning python exceptions on you will get one unrelated exception. The following file fixes this one:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/115758/Civ4lerts.rar

Put the file inside the archive in [Assets\Python\BUG\Contrib] folder.

I don't get any of the mentioned bug no problem here!

Cool... thanks for the vote of confidence! :goodjob:

I'm glad you were able to look in-depth at the issue. I did myself, and I didn't really see anything that "popped" out at me as suspect. Maybe it's just one of those weird software things... I dunno.

I personally never ran into this "python" issue either.

I have an unrelated question that may have been brought up in this thread earlier (please don't flame b/c I don't have the time to read 54 pages of posts). If it hasn't been done already, how difficult would it be to merge HitM with another mod that adds a number of new civilizations (such as Civ Gold)?

@jofish15

I know that a BTS release of civ gold is being developed. I don't know if it will be modular or not. Anyway AFAIK whatever is modular will work well with HitM. There are many civs out there in modules. The merge can be as easy as dropping a folder in the assets\modules folder of HitM. You can pick some of these and try them out.

I believe Civ Gold already has modular Civilizations. At least the BtS version I have has all modular civilizations. ;)

All you have to do is take the Civ you want, and drag it over to the HiTM "Modules" folder. It should just plug-n-play from there.

Great mod Grave!

I downloaded it over the weekend and can't quit playing it.

I do have a small problem. Every time I load your mod it takes the cpu about 3 1/2 minutes before the loading screen comes up. Your mod is the only one that does this. This is probably my fault, but I just wanted to see if you had any ideas what may be wrong. The game plays well, and I haven't had any problems in game yet.

Glad you're having a good time with it! :goodjob:

Yeah, alot of people have issues with the long load times. If you see the size of the "Art" folder, you'll know why!

I addressed this issue for v1.5 by making PAK files for the Art assets. Now it takes about 10 seconds to load. :goodjob:

THanks!!! im going to build it.

ANother question!!! I cant load into a caravel missionare units :( why???
Great mode, im looking foward to the new versions

i investigated, and fixed it, Grave must change en units.xml... the type of every missinary from (Unit special missionary to Unit special people) you must look the difference betwen the original files and the mod files. if grave or anyone needs help with this... please tell me and ill tell you what files adn what inside them you have to change

Great MOD!!! keep playing..

Yeah, I made the Missionaries a seperate "SpecialUnit" so that the Religious trait could build them faster. However, I overlooked the fact that the Caravel only transports "SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE", and that the game only allows one SpecialUnit type per unit.

This is fixed in v1.5. :king:

Grave: quick friendly reminder, Dale yesterday fixed a few bugs in DCM, so you will probably want to include new version in your 1.05.

EDIT: On a 2nd look, he said he'd fixed them, but maybe he means for the next version, so ignore the above.

I read that last night. Those fixed he kept mentioning will be in the next version of DCM, not this one.

Great mod! Advanced starts seem to be buggish, you build your city, then the screen starts flickering, but you can quit, but you can't start your game or build stuff.

Can you manage to capture a screenshot of this?

Also if the wonders are being removed for balance...just reduce what they do down to say 1 happy face in that city or perhaps say 10 culture or what not. Some could be considered a city wonder vs a global world wonder and just do an itsy bitsy amount of whatever. And for us builders(thats me :) ) the more to build the better! Frankly, I dont care if they do tons of stuff as much as they are in there to just plain build! IMHO, of course and whatever ya do Grave ill prolly like it...just hoping to sway ya a bit, cause I love to build! :)

Repeat after me.... Quality over quantity...Quality over quantity...Quality over quantity

;) :lol:

And thank you ALL for such positive support! Reading all the support for your interest in v1.5 really makes developing this mod worth while for me. :) I spend more time tweaking this mod than playing it... but that's ok! :lol:

So thanks again... I appreciate all the support!

Top Bottom