Paradigm Shift

Yes, only it is crucial to gain momentum over Sury and deny him both copper and horses. I'd rather take my cities and Suryvarmans than just good cities in our own territory...

Agreed, hence plan to settle high food horse city, whip chariots in the capital and there, use chop hammers to go into settlers (50% bonus due to imperialistic trait), chariot rush, block Mansa, backfill at leisure. That's what I am thinking anyway. I'm assuming Sury is stuck with coast to his west.

That's quite a plan though, some of it may have to be compromised.

Worst comes to worse, settle the horses and rush Mansa. Chances are we'll take out the other civ before the limited trading would have taken effect. I guess we won't know until you *cough* play the next round *cough*

:D

if i was playing this map i would scout to see if Sury is near the west coast, than i would block her expansion with 2 cities. one on the oasis near copper and cow and second 2N1E to get marble, gold and rice. than 3rd near the south stone and 4th 2W1N of the horses near the flood plains.

cheers!

edit: i think theres no need for early rush....

Heey! Don't be a hater :( :lol: :p
Thought we scandinaves had to stick together, not?
No hate left in my bones nowadays, I just love Denmark, wouldn't mind moving there, actually.
So yes, we can stick together and join forces now. :D

@ParadigmShifter:
Love the way you show your planning and share your thoughts, very educational, please keep it up. :goodjob: Just had a game where I lost out on irrigation on a ricepatch in a foodpoor city thanks to no planning when keeping the wrong forests for lumbermills in neighbouring cities. :(

For the record, J4ck refers to Sury as a she.

Also, I am glad we can be friends Carabodes. That said, kill Ragnar Lodbrok if you meet him. He has horns in his helm! Oh the historical lousiness! Or keep him as a vassal! I love his theme, people clapping rythmically in the background. It would be really scary if attached to say, Cathy or Genghis when they come to knock (in) your door.

Right, a cup of tea and then play the next round I think.

Plan for this round:

Settle the horse city, plus get some more settlers out, to either block Mansa/claim the stone or claim the copper site.

I need at least 1 more worker, the capital needs alot of improvements and then 2nd city can borrow one of the workers. I could steal a worker as well if I see a nice opportunity.

Hook up horses when the capital border pops.

Chariots.

Investigate rushing Grandma Suryavanam.

Generally suck up to Mansa without opening borders. If the early rush is on, put all my espionage towards Mansa in order to be able to steal a tech or two later. Cathy may be a dominatrix, but she needs a pimp ;)

Norse/Danes: Bjarne Stroustrup is Danish so we have him to thank for Civ IV being so moddable, eh? (He invented C++). Abel was Norwegian, as in "what's purple and commutes?" - an Abelian grape.

EDIT: Next round will be a bit longer than the first, I'll probably play up to 1000BC-ish.

OK, played the next round. Sury's capital was on a hill, so the rush didn't happen. Did a bit of REXing instead, got the high food city, then went for the bronze, finally the stone city. I'll get uploading my screenies now.

Dominatrix Cathy - Round 2 (3040BC - 1120BC)

We left off just as Cathy's gimp worker had built a pasture on some cows so she could make a leather outfit and a whip. She then sent him to build a mine and chop down a forest.

Realised I should have scouted Sury a bit earlier, both of us being creative means we get our 2nd border pop next turn. Oh well.

Scout heads towards Sury's capital anyway. This is a weird shaped continent, I think they must have changed the map script because in warlords the continents tended to be just a couple of big blobs of land with few interesting features. Looks like Sury has got coast to his West anyway.

Capital grows and also produces some big strong men with clubs for Cathy to order around.

I go for another warrior. The first is going to have a look at the northeast part of the continent where there is still some fog.

Scout has a look from a hill, Sury's capital is in fog but I can tell that it is on a hill anyway. I guess the early chariot rush is off then.

2nd warrior done, start on another worker. Then change my mind, and go for a settler instead. Cathy says it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, who am I to argue with my mistress? She says the reason for it is because the chop from the mine which was just built will get a 50% bonus to hammers because she is imperialistic. Yes, goddess.

2720BC, the wheel is completed. I research pottery next so I can start cottaging the capital. Spot the deliberate mistake!

OK, the exploring warrior finds more land, and piggies, to the northeast.

Meanwhile the scout has looked around Sury's capital site, there is coast to the west. He heads back to Russia to explore near the jungle to the south next. The worker builds a road underneath some cows.

Second warrior who I sent towards the stone gets into a bit of bother with the local wildlife...

No need to panic though, I'm goint to send him 2SE to the forest to have a rest and heal.

2520BC, settler is done. Worker is building a road towards the horses now.

Warrior to the northeast fogbusts for the settler. EDIT: I'm building another worker as well, to improve the 2nd city.

The scout is doing a bit of exploring through the southern jungle.

Dominatrix Cathy - Round 2 continued

You'll notice I founded the 2nd city from the minimap. For some reason I didn't take a screenie of that. Cathy gives me 6 strokes of the whip for being a naughty boy. The deliberate mistake was not researching fishing before founding this city, so I can't build a workboat from the off. I am bound and gagged and sent to the dungeon. I research fishing after pottery anyway, and put some hammers into a barracks here. I don't really need a granary just yet since the growth here will be fast with the floodplains and the clams.

Sury wants to do some REXing as well it looks like... not that he has much space to expand into...

He grabs the marble site, it's on a hill as well. We may have to kill him before we start work on the Great Library. Cathy is insulted.

Fishing is done, start the workboat. I had been working the floodplain for 3F1C here until now, then I switch to the clam since I still grow in 2 turns and it shaves a turn off writing, the next tech on the list. I want a lbrary in the capital to hurry along research.

I thought you needed sailing to get trade routes on rivers in BtS, but
apparently not.

Exploriing scout senses imminent danger...

But the bear obviously isn't hungry and leaves me alone. I decide to wind up some lions hoping they will attack me so I get some experience

DOH! (EDIT: note I can see that Izzy is around here as well...)

Amazingly, the scout survives 2 attacks by hordes of lions. I didn't get a screeny of that either. Back to the dungeon for me.

Meanwhile the horses are hooked up and I build a chariot with no barracks in the capital. Hopefully I can beat on some barbarians to get some XP.

Another dominant female turns up...

Could go either way, if I share her religion (although she keeps changing her mind about which one she likes best as she founds more of them), we team up and dominate the men together. Otherwise, this continent aint big enough for the 2 of us.

And someone else turns up, he's not angry yet but I'm sure he will be later on

This continent must be pretty big, it might be big enough to get domination on its own, so this could be a quick game!

Meanwhile the worker has moved to the new city and improved the horses there.

The warrior has healed now and keeps tabs on Mansa. I also decide that the workboat is taking too long to build so I revolt to slavery. Cathy needs her slaves anyway.

Pacal and Mansa are the tech leaders early game. They are both financial so there's not much surprise there

2nd worker has been busy, chopping a forest and building a cottage. I was building another settler as well, to grab the copper before Sury gets any clever ideas, so the chop again gets a bonus.

I whip the workboat. This will be whip central for a while so that's why I want a barracks, to whip units with promotions.

Focus on growth here

Writing is in, I get open borders with Sury, I want to have a look at his capital. EDIT: He doesn't like Mansa either. It's not like Mansa is boxing him into to a tiny strip of land on the west end of the continent...

I also get open borders with Izzy, hoping one of her religions will spread to me.

1800BC: Settler is finished, start on a library for the capital.

To be continued...

EDIT: hey, I just noticed Sid's tip is wrong - it says you need a library for the Heroic Epic (you need a barracks for that).

Dominatrix Cathy - Round 2 part 3

St. Petersburg works the horses at size 2

Archer and 2 warriors guard Sury's capital

Sury will eventually flip the horse tile near the capital. There's no hurry to build a road connecting the horses with St. Petersburg though.

Decide I'd better do some espionage adjustments. I put half my points on Mansa to try and steal tech later, the other half on Sury, maybe I can cause a revolt when I decide to start being dominating.

The next settler grabs the copper site, stopping Sury getting his grubby mitts on it. I wish I had more workers, REXing fast. I start building a barracks here though, it will be a military production city right next to the first target.

I teched mysticism next. It is required for polytheism (required for the Great Library), and it will make masonry cheaper too (next settler is going to grab the stone site).

Ooohh!! Izzy hasn't been exploring very much has she...

Wahey!!!

Hmm, that could make things a bit too easy...

What do you reckon?

Another cottage built, the chop finishes off the library. I'm researching alphabet now. There's no hurry to get to aesthetics and literature at the moment.

Whip weariness is about to wear off in St. Pete, better whip it again then...

Another hut, this one is guarded by a warrior, so I can't get it. The barbs never attack if they are standing on a hut though, in my experience.

There was another barb warrior near the goody hut where the scout is. This was supposed to be a screeny of the scout being killed. More whipping for me in the dungeon.

Sury wants to REX still, I can't see where he is going to go though, probably to the northern coast. I hope he doesn't place a city right next to my capital, that would be cheeky.

Iron mine is built, working on another settler. I'd like to run some scientists but I want the stone site first.

About city connections & rivers, Sailing is required if the river runs outside your cultural borders. That's why at first your cities aren't connected, but after you make a road so that there's a complete route between your cities within your borders, the trade icon does appear.

I know you said you were going to box Sury in, so why did your 1st settler go NE instead of to the site Sury claimed for Hariharalaya (yikes!); your 2nd city could have still claimed the copper; then you'd have him boxed in quite well, the site you chose for the 1st city is a good one, just seems like it could have waited until later, the NE being the only direction that nobody is going to challenge you from...also, you might want to hurry up and cut Mansa off before it's too late

Dominatrix Cathy - Round 2 part 4

After building a pasture, a mine and a farm on the floodplains at St. Pete, the worker moves back to the capital. I'm going to chop it again since Sury has a settler ready to go. I'm going to build a cottage eventually, but for speed I will just chop the forest, cottage later.

The other worker is on his way to 3rd city. It needs improveing. Rice first I think, then the copper.

St. Pete will grow just as the whip unhappiness wears off. I'll need a granary soon, for the health. Not necessary right now though.

This chariot (built at St. Pete) is going to fogbust for the stone city. Mansa has a city near here as well. I need to settle one north of it to cut him off.

Rice is ready at Novgorod

Easy as ABC

I stopped playing here.

Relations:

Tech situation. Izzy wont trade polytheism yet.

Moscow

St. Pete

Novgorod

I also settled Rostov this turn. I think I need another worker. The blue sparkly is my chariot, having a look around.

Culture in the north

Culture in the south

Resources in the north

Resources in the south

I hit a key labelled "power" instead of "print screen" here. Windows shut itself down without asking me if I was sure. Genius. The autosave was for this turn anyway.

Power. I'm in the lead!

OK gang, discuss.

I know you said you were going to box Sury in, so why did your 1st settler go NE instead of to the site Sury claimed for Hariharalaya (yikes!); your 2nd city could have still claimed the copper; then you'd have him boxed in quite well, the site you chose for the 1st city is a good one, just seems like it could have waited until later, the NE being the only direction that nobody is going to challenge you from...also, you might want to hurry up and cut Mansa off before it's too late

Settled the best city first. Sury wont be around for very long anyway, the marble city will be mine soon. It was Mansa I was going to cut off from expanding my way.

I notice Sury has Iron in his capital's BFC but he hasn't got Iron Working yet. Could be time to whip some axes and swords and pay him a visit.

Whoops, forgot the save again. HOF mod blah blah blah...

I was just pointing out that it would have been easy to block Sury too, I know you plan on taking him out soon, but why give him a city on a hill and deny yourself the use of the marble until you can take him out; also, you didn't have the iron revealed yet to know if you'd have sword or not, those hill cities would have been expensive to take with axes otherwise...just a thought, good thread though...

It's a fair point.

I only need the marble when I want to build the Great Library (which will be after I build the Pyramids). There's plenty of time to finish Sury.

If I had boxed him in too much he might have DoW'd me by now... that was my thinking anyway. Not that he can do much with warriors and archers...

EDIT: Aesthetics is just the tech I picked to research before I quit, I'll probably tech masonry next, although the worker being built at the stone city is still 14 turns away.

Also, I've just started building a library at St. Pete, since it will be my GP farm, but axes and swords might be a better idea.

Next round will be played tomorrow. It'll be time to crack some heads.

Top Bottom