Fall From Heaven Leader's Tale - Valledia the Even

I am sorry. Despite my best efforts, real life constraints have prevented me from playing and will continue to do so into the forseeable future. Please accept my withdrawal and my apologies. I'll have to lurk through the end of this.

I've deleted the savefile from my post earlier as I thought that MorganKnight had played... Hopefully I've still stored it on my desktop, will check later today !

I'll be away from the internet from Thursday until Tuesday. I'm up next so I'm moving myself down the roster.

After stuge has played, whoever of Evernoob, Immac or TheJopa can post their get it first, has it ;)

@ eewolf - It's great that you have been a member of CFC for nearly 6 years and 2/3rds of your posts are in this thread :goodjob: :D

Ranac, son of Hadal, proud warrior and defender of queen Valledia, shivered as the cold water run down his back. Here in the north the winters still retained some of the cold fury of the Age of Ice and it would take many months before the spring would turn into summer, and finally bring warmth to the valleys between the mountains capped eternally with snow.

Ranac shivered again, sneezed and cursed under his breath. On the branches of the great fir tree looming over him, little rivulets of water raced down the needles, gracefully forming small, dashing streams, like a miniature of the great waterfalls of the southern jungles, where the rainbows were born. It was a small, beautiful miracle, although Ranac was in the mood to smack the living lights out of anyone pointing that out. He wasn't sure why he'd joined the army, but glory and women were far more likely to figure in it than minor miracles of nature.

The march here from Cevedes had been long and taxing and as soon as they had arrived, the captain had ordered a dead camp. From an officer's perspective, that meant no lights and keeping the noise down. From a soldier's perspective, that meant no cooking fires and no relaxing.

It had nearly turned the unit into a lynch mob. Things had calmed down when the officers hurriedly explained that it was only a temporary measure. They would attack the barbarian city soon and if the enemy was unaware of the two-sided attack, then it would surely become a glorious victory.

Now Ranac stared at the village down on the plain. The many blazing fires and harsh war-chants were in stark contrast with the dark, brooding hill. "They know" he thought. "Those green bastards bloody well know that we outnumber them and have them surrounded They know that tomorrow a red sun will rise, and they're looking forward to it." Shiver.

It was a small comfort that the most seasoned Amurite warriors were camped on the opposite hill. Ranac would rather have had them in front of him when the horns rang the following morning and his unit marched towards the village.

The Square approached the village, and the Line appeared. The Line charged the Square, the Square charged the Line and broke through it. Although it was much neater when it had been drawn on paper in the officers' tent.

Ranac ran towards the barbarian and vice versa, and there's no slowing down when there's a press of men behind you. Ranac managed to knock his enemy's spear aside before they smashed together. He was the lighter of the two and went over backwards. The barbarian stumbled forwards, his head ending up between the legs of Ranac, who managed to keep hold of his axe and hewed at the head madly. He was three hits in before he realised that the sharp bit was meant to go in first. Two strikes later the axe fell from his hand and he just stared forwards. As soon as he got his breath back, he threw up.

But even as Ranac the son Hadal sat there, vomiting all over himself, the makings of a glorious victory were there, for partly due to his actions more barbarians than Amurites lay dead when the battle ceased. Of such things are glorious victories made. Also of wet pants and external organs.

-The barb city was captured. It'll make a nice production center for our eastern expansion.

-Improve our road network. 'Tis non-existant.

-We should research hunting after elementalism, there's some ivory waiting to be hooked up.

-The south saw heavy barb action, but we took no losses and things are quiet now. Also, the slash-and-burn project is complete.

Attachments

• Valledia AD-0216.CivBeyondSwordSave
    177.7 KB · Views: 66
Ranac, son of Hadal, proud warrior and defender of queen Valledia, shivered as the cold water run down his back. Here in the north the winters still retained some of the cold fury of the Age of Ice and it would take many months before the spring would turn into summer, and finally bring warmth to the valleys between the mountains capped eternally with snow.

Ranac shivered again, sneezed and cursed under his breath. On the branches of the great fir tree looming over him, little rivulets of water raced down the needles, gracefully forming small, dashing streams, like a miniature of the great waterfalls of the southern jungles, where the rainbows were born. It was a small, beautiful miracle, although Ranac was in the mood to smack the living lights out of anyone pointing that out. He wasn't sure why he'd joined the army, but glory and women were far more likely to figure in it than minor miracles of nature.

The march here from Cevedes had been long and taxing and as soon as they had arrived, the captain had ordered a dead camp. From an officer's perspective, that meant no lights and keeping the noise down. From a soldier's perspective, that meant no cooking fires and no relaxing.

It had nearly turned the unit into a lynch mob. Things had calmed down when the officers hurriedly explained that it was only a temporary measure. They would attack the barbarian city soon and if the enemy was unaware of the two-sided attack, then it would surely become a glorious victory.

Now Ranac stared at the village down on the plain. The many blazing fires and harsh war-chants were in stark contrast with the dark, brooding hill. "They know" he thought. "Those green bastards bloody well know that we outnumber them and have them surrounded They know that tomorrow a red sun will rise, and they're looking forward to it." Shiver.

It was a small comfort that the most seasoned Amurite warriors were camped on the opposite hill. Ranac would rather have had them in front of him when the horns rang the following morning and his unit marched towards the village.

The Square approached the village, and the Line appeared. The Line charged the Square, the Square charged the Line and broke through it. Although it was much neater when it had been drawn on paper in the officers' tent.

Ranac ran towards the barbarian and vice versa, and there's no slowing down when there's a press of men behind you. Ranac managed to knock his enemy's spear aside before they smashed together. He was the lighter of the two and went over backwards. The barbarian stumbled forwards, his head ending up between the legs of Ranac, who managed to keep hold of his axe and hewed at the head madly. He was three hits in before he realised that the sharp bit was meant to go in first. Two strikes later the axe fell from his hand and he just stared forwards. As soon as he got his breath back, he threw up.

But even as Ranac the son Hadal sat there, vomiting all over himself, the makings of a glorious victory were there, for partly due to his actions more barbarians than Amurites lay dead when the battle ceased. Of such things are glorious victories made. Also of wet pants and external organs.

HA!!! Excellent. I like the gritty style.

I.

I'll take it. I'll play it out tonight.

-Improve our road network. 'Tis non-existant

-Research hunting after elementalism

So this are two main goals?

Well I should probably shut up and play, but... :)
Why do we research elementalism *right now*? We should maybe go directly hunting - to hook up the resources.
Thing is, elementalism gives us: fire mana - we have it already from palace, air mana - it is useless until we get sorcery as well, and we are quite far apart from it, water mana - we could probably live without it, nature - even less necessary
Also what religion shall we pursue?

As usual, all hundred Senators were present on the monthly regular Senate assembly. In the center stood Valledia, with Theodorus Lys, who was a regent and head of Senate, and Astrophel Cadyrn, the most renowned and probably the most skilled military officer at the time, but with no actual title beyond the common 'captain'. The three were examining a map that was showing southern parts of the Amurite state, where Orcs were growing restless.
Senators were sitting in their seats calmly, the code was simple: Valledia had to be presented with the issue first, then she would estimate the situation, then she would decide what was the best course of action, and only then the Senate would be introduced to the situation, and most likely, to the decision. Senators would then have little to do except to bow down to the Valledia's wisdom, very rarely she would turn to Senate for advice, but even then it was just an advice.
Cadyrn was speaking: „So far our scouts found two Orcish settlements, one on the east, and one on the south. If we could take them...“
„It's too risky. We only have so much men to serve in the army, I would be insane to send them through either of the passes.“

And the matter was settled. They would have few more things to discuss about- how to guard the passes, how many men should be sent to observe the Orcish activity, when could the settlements actually be assaulted, but someone knocked on the large doors of the Meeting Hall of the Senate.
Senators seemed confused - it was against the tradition to interrupt the Senate meeting, but then again, it was not that Amurites ever valued the tradition too much. But it better be important, Valledia thought.
On the other side of the door stood a group of farmers from Cevedes. Peasants, thought many Senators. Mundanes, thought others. In any way, they were dressed in the expensive clothing usually worn by scribes and merchants, never by peasants, but one could easily tell they are not noble simply by their speech, and body stance. Their leader, a tall, bald man, spoke:
„I wish to beg for an audience, your majesty.“
„Your highness, I want to represent those people.“ One of the Senators, Samalius Ahe, stood up.
„They are from a village near Cevedes. They approached me, and it is my right, no, my duty as a Senator, to represent them. They wish that we used some of our great wisdom to improve their lot in life. More accurately, they wish that some of our scholars were tasked with educating the people in secrets of hunting, with developing the traps mechanisms, developing tanning and tailoring techniques, with studying the animal behavior and biology...“
„That is unacceptable! All of our sages are currently working on harnessing the power of elements. They are halfway through...“- one Senator interrupted
„But imagine, your higness, if you consider my proposal, we could hunt those large animals near Nimarail... Their tusks and meat could be very valuable!“ – It was Samalius again.
Then came the wave of dissent:
„This is outrageous! Forgoing the tapping the power of elemental planes for such... MUNDANE matters!“ ...
„Are you even aware what does harnessing elemental powers means? Our armies could be victorious without ever seeing eye-to-eye with enemies...“
„What is next? Allowing mundanes into the Senate?“
Valledia was suddenly struck when she heard the last comment
„SILENCE!!!“
It was uncertain if she was angered with thought that 'mundanes' might actually request the right to be elected to the Senate, or with the discriminating tone of the Senator. But she spoke:
„I actually think this is the most wise proposal. It is accepted. Theodorus Lys, as a regent, you will make sure that the Samalius plan gets carried out... with or without the consent of the Senate.“

Good news for us!
Probably act of Ortus...

And probably bad news for us...

I might write something about these two events...

But for now, save attached.

Attachments

• Valledia AD-0229.CivBeyondSwordSave
    185.7 KB · Views: 65
Top Bottom