3.17 XML tags showing

r_rolo1

King of myself
Well, yesterday night I downloaded the new brand new patch and decided to install it in both my oldie desktop and in my new and brand laptop ..... I installed in both the patch, 3,17 , Blue Marble and CivScale and BUG. In my laptop everything is working fine, but in my desktop I spotted some problems with the XML tags:
Spoiler :

I suspected of a misinstall of any of the components and reinstalled all of them ( even deleted the leftover files... you may never know ). After some time installing/uninstalling I pinpointed the problem to the 3.17 patch ( installing it solo ( after a BtS clean reinstall ) would bring the tags text to show , even without BUG, BlueMarble or CivScale. This is :confused:, since the problem is not clearly related to anything I can remember, besides maybe the Vista version ( my desktop is running Ultimate and the laptop is running Home Premium, both PT-PT )...

Maybe a problem similar to the asian Windows versions? :dunno:

Pretty sure this comes only if you have BUG...

No thats not it.

I deleted all my custom assets and the problem persists.

Maybe I'm being persnickety, but I find it very unappealing when I can see these tags (they show up in the Civilopedia as well).

I've tried a fresh install of BTS then update. Nothing is fixing this. If anyone can find a fix please let me know.

Emperorfool mentioned that this happens because of copy past errors in the CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml file ( makes sense.... )...

Best thing we can do is to see exacltly what is missing and correct the file(s) involved.

Emperorfool mentioned that this happens because of copy past errors in the CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml file ( makes sense.... )...

Best thing we can do is to see exacltly what is missing and correct the file(s) involved.
Any chance of someone posting a corrected CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml?

I have no idea what needs to be changed to fix it.

If no one does that ,I'll try to do it myself in the weekend ( Civ IV XML is very simple... and boring ) if I have time..... But I'll need a 3.13 version of the file.

Ok, I got some time to reinstall 3.13 to see the diference and discovered what happened: The person that edited the text folder XML files pasted the missing XML code in CIV4GameText_BTS.xml instead of in CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml .... It happens ( but QA should had spotted this )

Below is my version of the file. I tested it and as far I noticed it is working well. Feel free to say something if it misses something ( I may had overlooked something.... This is v0.2 after all ;) )

Attachments

• CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS3_17patchv0.2.zip
    13 KB · Views: 236
:dunno: .... Maybe Vista UAC is messing with the install ( the installer may be trying to write in the files instead on simply replacing them and if it can't do it it simply replaces it... UAC has the bad habit of messing with changing files in Programs directory ). Can you post your version of this file, deanej ( or anyone with XP and no problems with it ) ?

P.S Or maybe your game in XP ( or in Vista ... I've a vista computer with no problems with it, in spite of having the defective file) is reading the info from CIV4GameText_BTS.xml anyway.... That would explain why this error passed the QA

Vista is so itchy with Program folders that I'm not really surprised if it does not allow ( sometimes ) to read the info from the other file..... Oh well, this looks more like bad programming ( c'mon, pasting in the wrong file ? I'm not a professional on XML editing and I don't do that....) + itchy Vista.

Well, yesterday night I downloaded the new brand new patch and decided to install it in both my oldie desktop and in my new and brand laptop ..... I installed in both the patch, 3,17 , Blue Marble and CivScale and BUG. In my laptop everything is working fine, but in my desktop I spotted some problems with the XML tags:
Spoiler :

I suspected of a misinstall of any of the components and reinstalled all of them ( even deleted the leftover files... you may never know ). After some time installing/uninstalling I pinpointed the problem to the 3.17 patch ( installing it solo ( after a BtS clean reinstall ) would bring the tags text to show , even without BUG, BlueMarble or CivScale. This is :confused:, since the problem is not clearly related to anything I can remember, besides maybe the Vista version ( my desktop is running Ultimate and the laptop is running Home Premium, both PT-PT )...

Maybe a problem similar to the asian Windows versions? :dunno:

Hi I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate and I haven't seen this problem. Can you please enlighten me. You said you're using BUG, what is that, some sort of a mod?

It is a interface mod ( just to reorganize info ), but the problem persisted even with a clean reinstall of BtS and deletion of all spare files of my games directory. It is clearly something related with the way BtS 3.17 reads the XML, since recoding CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml with basis on the 3.13 version did the trick...

I don't know why this happens ( and I'm not the only one .... others posted it before and after me ).... Like I said above I've BtS in my laptop as well and even with the same defective code it works well :confused:

Hi

Thanks very much rolo :). I dl'ed your fix and put it in my customassests/xml/text folder and it fixed the problem, and just fyi I am using windows xp so it not just a vista headache.

Kaytie

I know everyone wants to blame Vista... I have the text problem in XP

EmperorFool ( from the BUG team ) said tonight that this is probably caused by people that had previous versions of BUG installed ( even if you have the 2.30 version now ), because it had a modded version of CIV4GameText_BTS.xml ( I wonder how the bugger escaped deletion in my computer.... ) and as this file now harbors the code for the espionage interface text, the old BUG version file blocks the loading of that text. Deleting it will probably solve the problem ( I spotted it in the My Games costumassets folder )

This should work... if not just install my file

Top Bottom