new art in progress

davidlallen

Deity
Please put discussions of new art in development into this thread. Please see the second post for an up-to-date list of art requests.

If you like the game, and you can create graphics for Civ, it would really help to get some new units. Here is a "wishlist". Within each section I have tried to list the graphics by priority.

Buildings

Citadel. The Great Protector can build a special building, Rangers Guild, which greatly enhances safety. I am currently using the citadel building but it is stone, which is wrong.

Armory. An improvement built on top of munitions, it gives you the ability to build machine gun armed units. Presently I am using the industrial park graphic.

Munitions. A bonus representing a cache of machine guns and ammo. Presently I am using aluminum.

Upgraded broadcast tower. I have added a wonder, "Voice of the Badlands", which requires several broadcast towers. But I am using the same building art for both.

Lights. There could be a new wonder, City Lights. The first player to rebuild a city with lights that can shine at night will gain a big culture bonus. But I am not sure quite what building this should be, since we don't play Civ at night. All I can think of is a streetlight.

Garage building. I am using the stable graphic, which is kind of close, but having a modified version which looks more like a beat-up garage would help.

Leaderheads

Please see this thread for the current status of leaderheads. It has been suggested that I should use all 2-D art for the leaderheads. I may do that; but I'd prefer to have some better backgrounds and modified armor for the leaderheads I have found. I have located a few post-apocalyptic backgrounds, which I can put into an upcoming version; but I need a blender expert to make the armor fit the post-apocalyptic theme.

City Ruins

There is one main feature on the map, a city ruins feature. I would like (a) tiling, so that two adjacent plots show up as an oval instead of two circles, (b) buildings not placed on top of rivers and roads, (c) reacting properly to hills. This appears to be beyond the state of the art for terrain modding, but any help would be appreciated. Details can be found on this thread and this thread.

Units

Catapult. I have in mind a truck-towed, explosive-throwing feel. The wood and stone one doesn't fit the theme. We may replace it with a bulldozer unit and a sapper infantry unit.

Mutant animals. Even though Mad Max didn't have mutant animals, you know they would have, if they had a bigger budget or access to today's CGI! I have modified a werewolf model from FFH into a deathclaw, but I am sure it could be improved. I made a button for one other unit from the Fallout series, a radscorp (huge scorpion). It just uses the panther model, so a huge scorpion would be cool.

Recon truck unit. I have a few hero units who have unique unit art, such as Eagle, Cleaver and Tank Gal. One hero unit has poor unit art: Ghost, a utility truck which has all kinds of scouting promotions. I was thinking of a "fidget" animation where it actually goes translucent, not sure if this is possible.

For people who are new to the mod, there is some historical discussion and screenshots of the units in the dev thread. The dev thread "should be" obsolete now that we have a sub-forum.

For people who are coming here from the dev thread, here is the latest status. seZereth's punk with assault rifle is in 0.5, and so is the re-centered tanker which Refar sent. Although I have the horse unit, I did not want to write the code around it until after releasing 0.5. So that is on the to-do list.

The wishlist in the previous post is up to date as of version 0.5.

awesome stuff Chuggi!

How's this for the Survivor Settlers?

Definitely fits the theme. Can I have a child instead of two men? For the refugee unit, I want "women and children". I kind of liked the hobo "bag on a stick" the vanilla child has.

I also updated the Punk Axemen I made a while ago, so they now have more variation.

Cool! A few of the units have variation now. For seZereth's punk rifleman and Refar's survivor warrior, I hard-coded the formation to have a certain selection of them. Is there a way that the game can generate random combinations of the variants?

In other news, I've been suggested to have a horse unit, and I have noticed that I hardly ever build the jeep units. By the time I have a refinery, I almost always have automatic weapons, and I can build the humvee instead. I will probably remove the jeep rifle, but I'd still like the jeep crossbow. And I have a new request for a horse mounted survivor, maybe with crossbow or lance. I'm not sure the punks would be organized enough to field horse mounted units.

Very cool settlers. One of your guys could do a texture paintig tutorial :mischief:

I am working on Survivor "Machinegunners", waering a flakvest and wielding two Uzi´s.
Is that ok?

or do you need big machineguns?

I´ll update this as soon as i can show you somethings.

I am working on Survivor "Machinegunners", waering a flakvest and wielding two Uzi´s.
Is that ok?

or do you need big machineguns?

I´ll update this as soon as i can show you somethings.

The existing unit has clearly a WWI style machine gun and uniform. Machine guns are usually used in emplacements, and the game clearly expects that type of usage since the unit is defensive only.

Is it possible to have a big machine gun but a more survivor type outfit? That way the defensive nature is still visible.

The existing unit has clearly a WWI style machine gun and uniform. Machine guns are usually used in emplacements, and the game clearly expects that type of usage since the unit is defensive only.

Is it possible to have a big machine gun but a more survivor type outfit? That way the defensive nature is still visible.

sure, can you make use of a unit wielding two uzi´s as well :) ?

Definitely fits the theme. Can I have a child instead of two men? For the refugee unit, I want "women and children". I kind of liked the hobo "bag on a stick" the vanilla child has.

I was planning on some children but hadn't got around to it yet. ;) For the formation, I always liked what White Rabbit originally did with Ethnically Diverse Units, where he changed the formation and the group size to include more people. As you can see with the Ancient European Settlers I made a while ago:

So by making a couple of kids and adding in some animals I think it should look good.

Cool! A few of the units have variation now. For seZereth's punk rifleman and Refar's survivor warrior, I hard-coded the formation to have a certain selection of them. Is there a way that the game can generate random combinations of the variants?

I've thought about this as well because lately I've made variants for all of my units. But it's either impossible, or you need some serious coding skills. ;)

I have a new request for a horse mounted survivor, maybe with crossbow or lance. I'm not sure the punks would be organized enough to field horse mounted units.

A mounted survivor with a lance will be much easier to make, unless someone wants to make mounted crossbow animations? ;)

Refar said:
Very cool settlers. One of your guys could do a texture paintig tutorial

I use 256x256 textures now, which allows for more detail. ;)

seZereth said:
Is that ok?

Maybe you could use that idea for a marine/infantry type unit? Or it could be a variant in the machine gunners - two with the larger machine guns, and then one with the dual uzi's could work. :)

So by making a couple of kids and adding in some animals I think it should look good. [...] A mounted survivor with a lance will be much easier to make, unless someone wants to make mounted crossbow animations? ;)

Kids yes, animals maybe :) Maybe a wolf, somebody complained that the mad max unit GarretSidzaka made needs a wolf sidekick.

Survivor with lance sounds good. I got my first survivor kicked by Refar's horse this morning :)

Kids yes, animals maybe :) Maybe a wolf, somebody complained that the mad max unit GarretSidzaka made needs a wolf sidekick.

2 men, 1 woman, 2 kids and 2 wolves will look effective I think. ;)

Survivor with lance sounds good. I got my first survivor kicked by Refar's horse this morning :)

:lol:

Machine gunner looks great, I added it to the game. I am sure we will find something useful to do with the double uzi guy.

What anims have you used on the dual uzi guy ? Looks very cool.

What anims have you used on the dual uzi guy ? Looks very cool.

sam infantry.
he only shoots one uzi and looks a bit into sky when idle... unfortunately firaxis never added animation for dual guns ;) ... what a pity.

Top Bottom