Alternate Timeline Building Experiment, v1.0

About the Seshegi tribes and cities:

The Kurzans have the following events:

The nomadic lords system collapses due to a great famine and crop failure with a lasting effect of 15 years - the nomad lords' warrior bands do not have anything to taxate and they therefore have to directly wage war or release the provinces that fails the crops (names of the most important provinces are the Huibtan area, Utal area, Romanik area, the cities of Hepzeppi, Kalam & Muibigermani). This ultimately lead to the victory of the peasants who founds small villages instead. Now, due to a removal of a loose barbaric lordship without no real leader, small villages now have their own chiefs. Some city states are now present, but none of enough importance to be placed on a map. Perhaps the tiny Kuukan chiefsdom based on the western coast of the Black Sea and the Iphas and Hepzeppi towns could be seen on a world map on the plains to the west, but it is unsure and up to the gods (mods).

With the removal of the unstructured nomadic lords, there is an actual leadership, and therefore there is now some progress with the Kurzan tribes of the Seshegi culture. Some organization was present with the Kurzan lords, and therefore the area of the Western Seshegi settlements is now known as Kurzan.

The Kurzans in Yiphesh have another fate. They still rule the region somewhat unstructured, but with the collapse of the Western Dynasties, they have fewer families and armies to organize and soon an actual governmental force is present. A dynasty for the city state is founded with chief Montaq, who founds a military instead of the nomadic taxcollectors, and the mobility of the horse domistication is now used for control and conquest of the nearby tribes instead of a tool of mobility to find people to tax. This small difference founds Yiphesh as the new power of the region, especially with the influence from the foreign traders.

However, the Kurzans in the north remains untouched by the famine in the West. The barbaric rule with internal struggles still roam, with no chief knowing the other, and no head-of-state controlling the development of the realm. The Kurzan nomad chiefs conquer north- and eastwards to have more peasants to gain taces from.

The Utuap in the south have the following events:

Due to continued nomad rule and contact with the Khalmur to the west, small kingdoms are founded along the borders of the Khalmur Empire that challenge their rule. The most important fo those are Tosa, Ulmape, Tatar, Britan and Irenia. Those small city states skirmish the borders of the Empire, wreaking havoc and taxating the regional peasants as they have always done on the plains. This, of course, upsets the Emperor, whom they completely ignore, taxating continually. They pick up some of the Khalmur technology.

The Murettian in the west have the following events (I think I control them as they are an offshot of my culture):

Trade is much more developed in this region because there is more contact with the Greek area and the Middle East than in the area of the Seshegi origin. Therefore, very soon foreign traders becomes raiders, and soon a foreign army invades the region, dominating the weak nomad chief taxation system and creating a new culture with a mix of the Bohemoi culture, the Murettian culture, Seshegi and of course with a serious influence of the conquering nation's culture. This founds a city state named Murat.

Bring it on, Kurzans! Sarvonia's coming for you too, and we'll squish your precious little Black Sea peasant nations by the sword, flame, and hoof!

Jakivat Kingdom: The kingdom will expand before breaking down into multiple states all vying for control. Many of the population will head eastwards and setup small city state like countries.

Tribes and Agrian City States: The tribes in central India will begin settling down as the populations grow and begin infighting with themselves and the migrants from the Indus valley. It will be a time of military invention and innovation as the states fight over the best farming lands.

Thanks for the input!!!

I'm starting work on an update, but will accept input for the next hour or so.

Theres a problem in all my NESes where I write too much, and sometimes make people think they have to write more in their own orders and stuff, and then I feel I have to write even more, etc. I need to stop this. This update needs to be short and brutal :)

@ lord_joakim, I'm afraid you cannot give input for the Kurzan, they aren't part of your culture and are NPC (there's a list of who-owns-what buried in the 'spoiler' in the update). But, I had planned to have some merging happen anyway. Somethings will happen but not what you planned exactly. The Murretti are an offshoot of the NPC Kurzans, so no you cant control them either :p

@Daft: Did you know that when this NES is completed you will have written, in total, the amount of words required to finish a DaftNES 2 update? :p

See that's why I kept my priorities nice and small.

Also, why are people being so specific with their priorities. It seems like people aren't just suggesting what their culture might do, but act like it will happen.

I leave it up to the mod to decide if wars and other stuff happen with my culture. It seems more realistic to me.

@Daftpanzer: I seem to have come down with a cold. I have a major headache and orders will be really hard for me to get well. So, I will have to break the cycle of lengthy priorities and just take it simply.

The Tianshi should come back with a vengeance and decimate the Diweishi, which had gone soft and complacent to the point of practically taunting the Tianshi with their advanced lifestyle. After the defeat, Head Bloodrider Hongweishan (Imposing Mountain) decides to break the cycle of pillaging, ironically, and just live off the spoils. The remaining Diweishi are coerced into helping the incoming Tianshi out by teaching them how to operate and exist in a peaceful society. The ones who cannot handle a peaceful life are deemed warriors and ride off in search of conquest; thus, after much intertribal warfare, something resembling a peace occurs. The Diweishi become something like an autonomous part of the Tianshi holdings; they are also tapped to settle elsewhere in the empire. This leads to a sort of duality: the belligerent Tianshi, restless and ceaselessly expanding, killing tribes to sate their thirst for blood, and the more peaceful Diweishi, content to live in the cities.

Eventually, they integrate themselves to become the Tiandishi: Guardians of Sky and Earth.

Estimated time until update completion?

ARgh. I thought it was 3pmish

The Oltaxl went through a plateau of development, continuously fighting brushfire wars with the Oltu. The Timiquican-descended group have begun the tradition of a part of Oltaxl moving to the Caribbean, slowly displacing the Kuartl (all those brushfire wars with the Oltu gave them training).

Thanks LightFang, that is still about 500% what I originally intended people to post for this :)

Luckymoose said:
@Daft: Did you know that when this NES is completed you will have written, in total, the amount of words required to finish a DaftNES 2 update?

Yes, although there are no stats here, and the amount of input to process is much less, and the map is much easier, and I don't have the same caution as when I'm working on DaftNES.

Neverwonagame3 said:
I don't want to annoy a good mod, but in the interests of being fair I will point out that while you aren't under much obligation to get it done fast, it would be good if you said you would get it done later if you would get it done later.

Thankyou, but the thing is, I am permanently naive and honestly believe I will complete it by that time. Then I am too busy working to post anything else :)

Estimated time until update completion?

OK starting now properly, I aim to post the update within one and a half hours of this post, lets see if I can stick to that.

Daft, I would be gone from tomarrow for 3 days. So Just auto mate it tis:

Sai Ren: fear the Hun! "No!" "Why?" "A single Sai Ren can tear apart an armoured Hun naked!" "Ahhh! Fear the Sai Ren!"

Hai Ren : Go for Japan! GO FOR JAPAN! Go for taiwan. Everywhere. Seapower mongolian style!

Shan Ren: Spread... up coasts... down coasts... into land... tribal shiefdom invador fight kill eat farm hunt... what the heck, what ever to do to try to keep china split before I come to take the spoils when i return.

That is simple orders from me for a few days. Thanks!

Announcement: another hour is needed :( (LOLZ) but I have not been writing lots. The migrations are very complex.

@Charles Li, OK I got it!

@BananaLee, also acknowledging your post.

It's been another hour- how long until the update?

It would be good if mods begun to get at least a bit more realistic about when updates would happen.

It would be good if mods begun to get at least a bit more realistic about when updates would happen.

He isn't doing this because he has to, his update will be done when it is done. No point posting about how you think mods should mod. You have never and will never be equal to Daft so you can just back down and appreciate what he is doing.

However, they're not machines. They get tired, distracted, hungry, and bored. They can't devote their entire time to updating. There are just too many different things that could happen when someone is working on an update to actually make making a realistic update time impossible.

Of course they get tired, distracted, and so on. But I don't see why they don't learn from experience and at least try to factor for that.

(time taken=heh)

Era 4: The First Downfall

(map: click for big version)

Later historians would write of a great global catastrophy happening at this time. Putting the pieces together, they would imagine huge barbarian invasions rampaging across all of Eurasia, and many natural disasters that quickly reshaped the world. However, the surviving ancient texts from this time are much less dramatic. The old order was indeed destroyed, but it seems the events happened over the course of several generations, rather than years.

Only one big, sudden catastrophe is known for sure - the explosion of the volcanic island known (at the time) as Kerah, in the southern Agean, around 1600 BC. At the time, the island was home to thriving Mavan culture, the inhabitants unaware that they were living on a large, active volcanic caldera. The huge eruption buried the remains of multi-storey buildings, complete with beautiful frescoes and indoor running water, which would amaze archaeologists of future ages. There is evidence of large tsunami effects across the Agean and eastern mediterranean, destroying trade boats and damaging coastal towns. The eruption is believed to have ejected enough ash to alter the climate across the northern hemisphere, lowering temperatures and changing rainfall patterns. Yuerean records of this time speak of poor harvests for more than a decade.

In the aftermath of the eruption, the eastern Mediterranean saw much fighting. The Pargian Empire and its new colonies fought against various sea peoples, especially the Mavans who spread in several directions. But the Kerah eruption was just the trigger, or perhaps one of several triggers, that set other things in motion. Due to the climate shift, or for whatever reason, it seems life became harder for everyone, not just the farmers. The nomadic peoples of Eurasia were also in need of food, or wealth in order to barter for it. They were prepared to take greater risks. Aggression and battle skills became even more important. A culture of warfare grew stronger, and continued to grow, even as the climate recovered.

A chaotic series of wars and migrations occurred, about which few, if any records survive (it is generally agreed that ancient Yeuren sources are more reliable than most). One thing that several sources agree on, is the rise of a great leader called Artaq or Montaq, who was high king of the semi-civilized Yiphesh-Sheshegi peoples. Around 1500 BC, Montaq was able to unite various Kurzans, Sheshegi, Sarvonian and Kramtob tribes into a large horde which went on campaign ever year in search of plunder, usually to the cities of the middle east. The great Khlanur empire was simply destroyed, many great cities were reduced to ruins and never recovered. The unity of Montaq's banner didn't last long, but it ended with an explosion and scattering of different warrior tribes, something that was even more destructive. The Ummites and Pargians survived, but were weakened enough that they fell to later invasions of eastern peoples. The Jakivat kingdom of the Indus valley, already in decline, became part of a confusing mixture of Agrians and various warrior cultures from all over central Asia ( much of Jakivat's knowledge was safely transferred to the Kajivati kingdoms, although literacy remained rare there, and some was gradually lost and forgotten).

For the great Weizhe Empire in the far east, the threat came from both the steppe and the south. The Sai-Ren Hsin-Yuan, a danger the Weizhe had learnt to deal with them over several centuries, were suddenly replaced by the western Kurzans, who brought stronger horses (although probably not horse-riding yet) and a more mobile style of fighting. At the same time, the Tianshi were going through another series of wars, the fledgling Diweishi Kingdom was destroyed and aggressive Tianshi tribes were outcast and flung northwards, eventually arriving on Weizhe's southern borders with their superior bronze weapons (and, according to legend, led by the seven-foot-tall warrior-king Hongweishan). Combined with a plague that was sweeping the eastern urban centres, the Weizhe Empire was overwhelmed and the great scared city of Henan was destroyed (although not without many great heroic battles which would be celebrated by Yeuren scribes and poets for centuries to come). Other cities survived or at least recovered rapidly enough to save many elements of Yeuren urban civilization - Yeuren culture and religion were in little danger of dying out anyway.

The following centuries saw more migrations, civil wars, wars, and plagues. Notably, the descendents of Kramtob tribes fighting in the middle-east eventually ended up in the Danube valley in Europe (becoming known as the Krilik), Pelonar sites were occupied by Kurzan warlords, Utuap-Sheshegi warlords took over the surviving cities in the upper Nile, Sai-Ren tribes moved into south-central Asia armed with horses and chariots, and Sarvonians settled in the Caucasus amongst the Sheshegi. The Hom kingdom of the African Zul people and the Himalayan Shyn cultures were among the few at peace during this time, the latter spreading its religious influence beyond its own borders.

In the Americas, the mound-builders of the Mississippi were no more, evicted by the failure of farming, and/or wafare. The Panto peoples re-emerged in the eastern woodlands, where they began to develop farming culture again. The first positive date for Oltaxl culture (or Timiquican as it is referred to at this point) in the central Carribean islands comes from this time, coincidentally when warlike Axlmec tribes burst into the Yucatan.

Its now around 1100 BC.

Cultures and Factions Ownership:
Bohemoi tribes: honzas_cz
Chechy chiefdoms: honzas_cz
Amestrian tribes: Crezth
Kurzo-Pelonar chiefdoms: Fuschia / NPC
Maitan Kingdoms: Fuschia / human-slaughter
Mavan-Smara (great island chiefdom): flyingchicken / human-slaughter
Mavan Sea Peoples: human-slaughter
Sarvonian tribes: Lord Iggy
Sheshegi-Sarvonian chiefdoms: Lord Iggy / lord_joakim
Iphas kingdoms: lord_joakim / NPC
Yiphesh kingdom: lord_joakim
Utuap chiefdoms: lord_joakim
Pargi-Utuap kingdoms: lord_joakim / Neverwonagame3
Pargian colonies: Neverwonagame3
Hekroi kingdoms: Neverwonagame3
Jornmarin kingdoms: Luckymoose / NPC
Kajivati kingdoms: Luckymoose / Ninja Dude
Krilik tribes: Ninja Dude
Syhin kingdom: Ninja Dude
Yueren chiefdoms: kkmo
Yueren kingdoms: kkmo
Shan-Ren kingdoms: kkmo / Charles Li
Hai-Ren chiefdoms: Charles Li
Sai-Ren tribes: Charles Li
Tianshi tribes: LightFang
Tiandshi kingdom: LightFang
Washagon tribes: Bestshot9
Washagon chiefdoms: Bestshot9
Timiquican: BananaLee
Xanto tribes: Nick014
Panto chiefdoms: Nick014
Zul sea-peoples: mythmonster2
Hom kingdom: mythmonster2
The rest: NPC.

Note that there are some mixed cultures which are under the dual authority of two people, who may well give them conflicting instructions, with unusual results.

It can be assumed that there are tribes all over the place. They will get names on the map as and when they become relevant.

Notes:
@ Nick014, I'm afraid the Xanto/Panta don't have iron, let alone bronze, and are generally about half as advanced as you described, if that. I'm trying to avoid too-early developments in such places. Sorry if it seems boring :(

@lord_joakim, I didn't ignore your post, things just worked out alot differently than you planned!

@All, again, I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions you may have, about how to make this more realistic/interesting!

Also, I dont want to use place names that are also modern countries (IE 'Cuba'), except India which is also a whole subcontinent. Please feel free to provide alternate names, I can maybe put them on the map too.

Next Era:
Era 5 will be the Classical Era. Civilization will be re-asserting itself, foreign rulers may be overthrown. Memories of deprivations suffered at the hands of 'barbarians' have been engrained in the minds of cultures across the world - people now look to culture and the arts to set themselves apart from the hated nomads and invaders, and to make themselves feel secure and superior. In short, it will be a rebirth of culture and confidence for the civilized world. While iron, horseback riding and various new tactics will allow stronger armies for both civilized people and the barbarians too. The main choices are whether to focus on the rebirth of culture and learning, or to focus on the rebuilding of centralised political power and stronger armies (Greece vs Persia?). Or somewhere in-between.

I intend to post Era #5 tomorrow, around the time I posted this post today, and it will be shorter !!! (?) !!! ?

Reminder: Please feel free to give any kind of input you want, but a simple list of priorities would be good. Names of great cities and leaders (NEW: and places!) could also be useful, though may not actually appear in the updates for some time. I will accept PM's if need be, otherwise you can just post in the thread. It would be helpful if you could take a second to boldify the name of your tribe/chiefdom/people, so I know what you are talking about, and can easily find that post again...

New Cultures:
These are still accepted at this time, please refer to the template on earlier pages. NPC's on the map can also be claimed.

Top Bottom