Re-Installing Problems

Goryal

Chieftain
Forgive me if this has already been solved elsewhere, I lurked for a little bit before joining, but didn't see anything related to my problem.

Anyway, I played Civ4 before any of the expansions came out, and then bought each expansion as soon as they were released. I know it runs fine on my computer, that isn't the issue here.

A while ago I had to uninstall Civ4 and all of it's expansions to make some room on my hard drive. Well, I have since then gotten an external hard drive, and have been fiending for some Civ again. So I go through the instillation of vanilla, and then through warlords. When I get to beyond the sword is where I start to have problems.

When I put BotS into my drive, it doesn't give me an install option. It just has "play","read me", and "exit". When I choose play, the window closes, and my computer acts as if I had just clicked the exit button. No programs aside from the usual 4 or 5 currently running in the task manager. So I checked in the folders, and the start menu for an uninstall option. None to be found. So I try uninstalling Warlords and Vanilla, and reinstalling them both. Same outcome. So I uninstall them all again, and use the add/remove program to make sure they are gone. BotS was on there as well, but so were the other two even when they weren't installed. So, I removed all three, and try installing again, and I still get the same result.

I can't get BotS to realize that it isn't installed on my computer, and none of the other versions will run because they all say "Please insert BotS Disk: 1."

Few last side notes: I've used the find files/folders option in the start menu for anything I can think of relating to Civ4 to no avail. Like I said, it did used to all run fine. I am on Windows XP, not vista. I am also going through serious withdrawal right now. Any and all help with be greatly appreciated.

welcome to cfc :band:
follow the below for a complete reinstall :)

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

then do the following for a clean reinstall:

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :

Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Civ4
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}" (Warlords)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.17 (download it fresh from here).

I followed every step to the letter. I did find a few traces of BtS in those hidden folders, and everything that I deleted, I used Shift+del to make sure they were gone. However, After installing vanilla, it's patch, warlords, and it's patch, BtS still didn't have an option to install. I really am stumped, and have never had a game do this to me.

I do thank you for the attempt at help though.

:hmm:
usually deleting the installshield installation information files properly disables the registry entries for the game as well - as windows still thinks that bts is installed you'll likely need to edit the windows registry. Are you familiar with that?

I have no idea. If this is something that could possibly mess up my computer, I'll be willing to go without Civ4.

registry edits have the very real chance of (in the worst case) making a computer unbootable. Of course there are ways to minimize the risk and even if things go wrong its usually nothing bad that happens - but the chance of some major problems is not zero. That is the reason I asked whether you are familiar with it.
If you made sure that all the files listed above are gone (including the hidden files) and have rebooted the operating system (i.e. the computer) and it still thinks the game is installed, then unfortunately there is no good way of repairing this short of registry editing.
There are programs out there that remove broken registry entries for you - but I don't trust them too much (however my bad experiences with them are from a different century :mischief: so they are probably much better today - I just cannot advice on which to use). :sad: :dunno:

now having said that I'll just post what you would need to do if you wanted to try:
- set a system restore point (under programs->system utilities)
- do all the uninstall stuff posted above
- click start, then run
- type regedit hit enter
- search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}
- delete this key
- do the same for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

Oh my God, I'm an idiot. Since making that initial post I have not rebooted my computer once. I don't know how many times that single act has fixed my problems. Well, I'm going to make sure all is gone one more time, and then restart. Reinstall again, and reboot once more for good measure.

I'm overly paranoid of things like that which could go wrong, so if the simple act of rebooting doesn't fix it, I shall give up.

I really feel stupid for not having tried that once.

Well, the restarts didn't make a difference. Again, I thank you for all your help none the less.

I guess I'll just have to mix some premium grade crack cocaine with some opium if I want to get something even half as addicting to fill this void. Alas, my computer worries for me, and won't let me become a slave to addiction.

Top Bottom