Sisiutil & Lord Parkin (Multiplayer Team Game)

Yes, all team members benefit from world wonders

I wonder, was this done through PBEM, or just on-line?
This was done online. No way we could have played it this fast otherwise. :)

My apologies for the long delay in updates... I'm still quite busy with work. But I'm working on the next one now, and should hopefully have it posted in an hour or so. ;)

Session XII: 1804 AD – 1816 AD

As the next session begins, the AI’s are still being their usual demanding selves. It seems that everyone has a different worst enemy who they want us to sever all contact with. Of course, we ignore them.

Next turn, the time for the next UN resolution comes around, and Sis selects the “No Nukes” resolution just for something to do. (Our intention was domination, not destruction, so nukes were not very useful. In actual fact, we didn’t even get Fission by the end of the game – we never bothered to research the tech at all!) The resolution passes with a 100% majority.

This turn is one of several successful military battles. Bismarck captures the city of Mound City from Sitting Bull with ease, thanks to his comparative technological advantage.

Isabella also recaptures Uppsala from Ragnar...

I capture the city of Arequipa on the island to the northeast of Willem/Huayna’s homeland…

And Sis captures Leiden from Willem.

We also have some easy naval battles, thanks to Willem moving unguarded transports right next to our Battleships – a very silly move for him to make.

In 1810 AD, Great Generals are born in both Spanish and Celtic lands, further rewarding Izzy and Boudica’s military campaigns.

Meanwhile, Sis easily captures Ollantaytambo with a force of fast-moving Tanks.

We notice that Sid’s Sushi is still proving its cultural power, particularly in Sis’s city of Pre-Rup.

The war against Willem/Huayna continues. I capture Willem’s city of Hoorn, followed by Enkhuizen, and finally gain control of the entire island.

Sitting Bull gets a Great General this turn, but it doesn’t seem that this will help him at all at this late stage.

In 1814 AD, we finish researching Computers, and begin work on Robotics. Mech Infantry are now almost within our reach!

Saladin keeps bugging me with a constant stream of spies destroying improvements in my territory on the island he’s on, but I don’t worry about it too much. I have so many Workers that a destroyed pasture or farm here and there makes no difference. Saladin’s really just bleeding away his espionage points, which is fine with me.

Next turn, I get an event which changes our war strategy significantly. This event is the Crusade quest. In order to get the reward, I have to capture Amsterdam – not Sis. (For anyone wondering about the reason why – this is because quests are bugged in team games. Only one player receives the quest, while the other does not receive it and therefore cannot complete it.) This means that the Dutch lands as a whole are also now a far more attractive target for me to get (as opposed to Sis).

Sis and I work together with our first combined force of the war to take the Incan city of Vilcas. Our combined Bomber force is now almost large enough to lower the defences of every city to zero as well as to damage every unit to the maximum amount, so it’s really becoming quite easy to take cities at this point.

Huayna hooks up his own source of Oil, but it’s probably a bit too late – he’s not going to be able to build any Oil-requiring units before he gets overrun.

I unload a force of units ready to take an island city of Huayna’s on the next turn.

Huayna still has one other island city, and it’s in an inconvenient location.

I notice at the end of the session that several of my cities are unnecessarily unhappy. This is because I’m missing a happiness resource that Sis has a spare of (incense), due to me not checking the trade screen as often as I should have. I quickly get him to send incense over to me, which fixes some of the happiness issues from all the war weariness.

Here are the top five cities as at 1816 AD.

Peter’s entire “empire”…

My city of Ectabana…

The demographics screen...

Our rating on the power graph continues to rise…

Our land area is increasing, though still far from the amount necessary for domination.

Next time… there’s a lot more war to look forward to! (The world turns into quite a bloodbath at the end of the game!) :D

Cheers,
- Lord Parkin

Peter's capital is defended by a swordsman and a horsearcher, among other things, :lol:, talking about obsolete forces.

One more question.

Also, if one player starts a GA with a great person, does the other team-mate also share in the same GA?

Peter's capital is defended by a swordsman and a horsearcher, among other things, :lol:, talking about obsolete forces.
Indeed. ;)

One more question.

Also, if one player starts a GA with a great person, does the other team-mate also share in the same GA?
No, Golden Ages are separate for different teammates. This is one of the few things that isn't shared in teams. I guess it gets too powerful, especially when you have large teams. (Think of 5 or 6 players per team, and starting a Golden Age for all of them with just 1 Great Person!)

By the way, as a result, the Taj Mahal only works for the teammate that builds it... hence it's the only wonder that doesn't share its effects among teammates (as far as I can remember). :)

Hmm, if that is the case, then surely the SoL and UoS should also not benefit both team members either. I'd think that is hugely more advantageous than the Taj.

Well then, you could add Spiral Minaret, Notre Dame and probably a few others to the list...

I'm not agreeing with the decision to limit golden ages (and the Taj Mahal) to individual players in a team, just spreading the knowledge of the game mechanic. ;) Although, I do think that a well-timed Golden Age, especially when one member of a team has the Mausoleum, is very much more powerful in the short to mid term than any wonder. So a multiple-player Golden Age would be even more powerful.

Well it's just silly!

And for something totally off topic now... I noticed NOW when I click on a stack of units, all I see is a single row instead of multiple rows of my military units on the lower pannel of the HUD. It's freiken annoying because I have to keep scrolling past SOOO many units all the time to select what I want (I hope I'm making this understandable).

I am not sure if it was the latest patch, or the bug mod that changed it, but now I wan't to change this back if possible. Any ideas?

Well it's just silly!

And for something totally off topic now... I noticed NOW when I click on a stack of units, all I see is a single row instead of multiple rows of my military units on the lower pannel of the HUD. It's freiken annoying because I have to keep scrolling past SOOO many units all the time to select what I want (I hope I'm making this understandable).

I am not sure if it was the latest patch, or the bug mod that changed it, but now I wan't to change this back if possible. Any ideas?

Well it's just silly!

Odd, because I have the plain 3.17 patch (no additions) installed myself, and the multiple rows of military are there for me. I'm not sure why a later patch or mod would take that away.

Interesting thread.

I am a Monarch player generally, I 'can' play on Emperor but I find it a tad unfun. In any case a friend who is also a Monarch/Emperor player wanted to play on Emperor and I agreed. I played Ethopia/Zara and he played Greece/Perciles on a Pangea 60% sea. In short, it was a walk over. Well mostly because the biggest AI (Kublai/Ragnar) threat blew what must have been nearly 60 or so units in one turn attempting attack a stack of 10 or so Oromo Warriors with drill 4 on a forested hill, most of the units died before the first strikes were up :p, but also because the AI simply doesn't work together like humans can.

After that (and early conquering of Gandhi/Wang Kon) we had so much land, that we were able to take whatever we wanted. It was kinda funny though because he's more of a domination player and I prefer space race, so it was a race to see who would win the game first. In the end I got my space race win in 1856 :p.

Really enjoying this! I thought I was getting tired of walkthrough threads (having used them for a while as a substitute for actually being able to play the game), but this is different enough to be really engaging.

Ignore everyone saying you should be on a higher difficulty - I'd much rather read a walkthrough of a easyish win that risk you loosing and going off the idea of writing up team games entirely. It'd be awesome if you did shift up a level if you do another one though - I reckon even an Immortal win is on the cards if you work well enough together, although if you're looking to ramp up the difficulty significantly maybe you should play Emperor with random civs.

Ahh, if there is one good thing I learned from this thread, then it's that bug button issue :p. I remember trying to find a manual for all those little buttons but figured I'd soon figure it out anyway.

Hopefully I can squeeze in a few more hours late this evening and finish off my current game.

BTW, technically I never updated the BUG with the new 3.17 patch, I guess for safety's sake I should do so. But so far it's been working without a hitch that I noticed.

Ohh, and P.S. it would seem that even StoneHenge becomes quite strong in those multi-player games, unless of course if your partner choses a CREATIVE civic. Haha!

Great read so far. Looking forward to the end:)
Really enjoying this! I thought I was getting tired of walkthrough threads (having used them for a while as a substitute for actually being able to play the game), but this is different enough to be really engaging.
Thanks for the compliments! :)

Ignore everyone saying you should be on a higher difficulty - I'd much rather read a walkthrough of a easyish win that risk you loosing and going off the idea of writing up team games entirely. It'd be awesome if you did shift up a level if you do another one though - I reckon even an Immortal win is on the cards if you work well enough together, although if you're looking to ramp up the difficulty significantly maybe you should play Emperor with random civs.
I think that Immortal would be feasible in a teams game with some decent civs, since I've recently managed to easily win my first Immortal game in single player. But perhaps having different civs on Emperor level would provide for more of a challenge, as you suggest. Limiting ourselves to non-Financial civs, for instance, would pull back our tech capabilities.

Ohh, and P.S. it would seem that even StoneHenge becomes quite strong in those multi-player games, unless of course if your partner choses a CREATIVE civic. Haha!
Indeed - Stonehenge, as with most other wonders, is improved significantly in team play. I have to say though that one of the most vastly improved wonders in team play is the Pyramids, in my opinion. Getting the extra happiness from Representation across multiple allied empires in the early game is a colossal boost (not to mention the extra beakers in all of those cities!). ;)

I'm also wondering if 16 AI is a little over-board. If I wanted to try and get a similar feel of the NORMAL map, but turn it into a team game, shouldn't I just make 6 teams of 2 AI a piece to keep things on the same ratio. I'm just not sure on the proper map SIZE for an exact doubling of players. I haven't really tried bigger maps yet as they used to cause my machine to crash to a hault, but I have souped up box now.

I'll prob find out one way or another not too far down the road. Hopefully when Snaaty gets some time off we can give it a shot for deity, but I think I'll do a warmup first on Immortal. I don't even know yet if your partner makes his moves on the same turn as you or not even. Come to think of it, I don't even know if popping a G-person affects the # of pts needed to pop the next for your partner either!

Alright, simplest thing to do was to run a few trial runs by myself to test. I just spent a while testing a few different scenarios with an AI as my partner on some deity maps. That super large map stuff throws my whole sense of scale off, but I suppose I could get used to it. After a while I decided it's maybe ok to stick with normal map, that would fit exactly 3.5 teams. So... if we add one more AI than normal, you could get 4 teams on a standard map without TOO much crampness, you agree?

It seems indeed they can tech much quicker, I caught Zara already working on Nationalism at 100 AD.

I think, that would take some OUT-of-the-BOX thinking to work around...

Top Bottom