[MOD] Age of Discovery II

Sorry should of posted at one time, but anyway did a few more if you like them for the units and civ buttons.

With the pirates, a lot of work needs to be done there. I am looking for suggestions on what to do with them. Should they operate like another Euro civ with a Europe, "King" etc? Or should they be more of a native type civ?

Elizabeth had her sea dogs, so maybe the pirates special "thing" should be being able to switch fealty from one monarch to another. Their ultimate gameplan is still independence from Europe but they have to play the various monarchs off against one another to do so.

Can you describe in short what this mod does in your first post? i can't find it anywhere.

What you have done to the game in such a short period of time is amazing. I will never play the vanilla version again. But I have been looking at this thread for a couple of hours in between games before I decided to download and it. Thats because I did not fully understand the changes you had made. If you had wrote something simple like...

Age of Discovery 2(AoD2) is small rework of Civ4 Colonization. I have added Portugal as a playable civ with 2 custom leaders. They have there own civ trait. I felt this needed to be done because( add some crap here). I have also added an Anti Civ based on pirates. They do not have access to the european screen and almost all there units are automaticlly hostile with every other civ and tribe in the game. They recieve significant boost in the way of conquest and conquering but suffer greatly in diplomacy. You may be better at fighting but you have alot more enemys. I have also fixed alot of bugs like (some crap here).

Just some kind of summary besides the actual code changes.

BTW this makes the whole game expierence 10x better. I hope you keep up with this mod and improve the quality of the game. Alot of people jsut tend to make the game suitable to there play style and/or just keep adding crap in. Both ways tend to water the game down and/or make it impossible to play unless using the modders strategy and play style. BLAH BLAH.. i will stfu now.

Not yet, but I'm hashing ideas on a pirate victory (and a native victory) and a commonwealth victory. :)

Oh god. I would love to be able to play as the indians. The ideas you posted above are perfect. Can't wait to see them. I think I am more excited about this mod pack then the actual game. It tends to be tedious and annoying when you first start playing it. But over all a very complex and satisfying game once you get used to it. With the introduction of the following things the play and replay values of the game would be increased exponetionally..

Pirates
Portugal
playing as the tribes
and the 3 new victory conditions

I am gonna stfu now.

Can you describe in short what this mod does in your first post? i can't find it anywhere.

I provided a summary of what the mod does in the first post of this thread, and the download page. :)

Any plans to combine the code for this mod with the code for the unofficial patch from yourself and Snoopy? I'd happily merge the code myself, but I don't think you released any source with the AoDII mod.

That said, I do greatly appreciate your efforts thus far :goodjob:

Yes, when a few more fixes are finished for the unofficial patch, I'll merge it into AoD2. :)

Would it be possible to fix that when you burn an enemy settlement, instead of keeping it - you could keep the plunder (goods). It makes no sense for me to burn a colony filled with silver and cigars worth 4000 gc, when the arsonist burns the treasures inside the settlement.

Edit: (false thread may be deleted)

is the "root folder" the \programfiles\c4c or mydocuments\c4c? in the mydocuments there is a mods folder already but in the program files there isnt one. i though i read in another thread that you should leave the program files alone and add mods to the \mydocuments\c4c. is that right?if im adding it to the program files could you give step by step instructions for creating the file to put it in the program files, if thats where it is suppose to go.do i just creat a file from my desktop, download mod, extract to the created folder, then cut and paste to programfiles\c4c? is this right?

If possible, I think you should add some sort of attrition to the game mechanics. If boats and units started losing hp if they were away from your/friendly territories for long periods of time, the game would be more realistic.

Also, the pirates are a nice idea, but terribly game-breaking early on. The pirate ships decimate the caravels, so if they decide to build their first settlement close to yours, you have a nearly impenetrable blockade until you get better ships(if you're ever able to get those with no trading). Playing as the pirates isn't exactly fun either, as you have no objective other than to roam around and plunder goods which you won't be able to sell anyway. You should make the pirates more like the barbarians in Civ 4. Maybe you could pay them to leave your ships alone?

Its simple. The pirates are fun but have no way of trading. So instead of every unit being KoS maybe make them hae a ship that appears to be of anouther orgin. Like they fly the english flag and sail into an english port to sell there goods. Or maybe make an option that takes 2 move points that switches the pirates ship from pirate colors to anouther countrys colors. Simply for trading. Right nw there is no point in even talking to the pirates because they can attack without declaring war. If they were really a free nation alreayd then they wouldn't have access to europe and there first ship would be KoS but they could build ships that were normal to go trade adn there units wouldn't get killed by braves while walkiing around unless they were at war.

ultimate goal again is that they need a way to trade and interact with other nations without having ties to europe in the begining at least.

Not to be rude, but I'll copy-paste the ideas I posted earlier in one nice post (they'll be easier to find and comment). I've also added other ideas:

Give the pirate the ability to earn slaves through the capture of natives (and give them a diplomacy hit if they do that). It makes them able to earn gold in a way pirates should.

Make them able to do limited trade with Europe, let them sell slaves and treasure (and they could choose the nation they trade with - gives them some sort of bonus depending on choice). They should also be able to trade with natives (when relations are good). It would thus force the player to be aggressive to earn treasure and slaves (as pirates should be).

Some buildings could be changed as you build your mod:
1. Change Weaver's building to something else or even delete it (pirate weavers?!?)
2. Change Cigar factory or delete it as it doesn't fit their "theme".
3. You must keep the distillery! Pirates love their rhum!

Thus, the pirate civ doesn't need to gather fur or cotton, as both ressources do not go well within the theme for this civ but they can still sell these ressources to others (natives or other civs).

Other ideas:
1. Liberty bells and Crosses could be changed to someting else. Criminality for instance could be a good choice.
2. Petty criminals from other states could "defect" to your according to this criminality rating.
3. Change the church and town hall for something more "thematic".
4. I'd inspire myself from "BTS-Espionnage" to create a kind of unit that can steal/plunder land tiles near other civs or even their towns, earning gold and phat-loot (i.e. ressources). This unit could replace/complement the trade wagon.
5. Criminality could convert other civ's population to petty criminals or indentured servants.
6. This criminality thing could increase the fog of war inside another's nation border (pirates attack in the dead of the night no?)

I'll add stuff later.

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread.

This might be stupid (especially since I don't have the game up and running due technical problems yet) but is it possible to respawn the computer players for other european powers if they get defeated once?

This way they could have better shot prevailing even if natives attack them early on.

Any chance of this? If I recally correctly this is how it worked in original Colonization, maybe someone can verify this?

Hey Dale, what an amazing mod, thanks for putting it together. I have two quick questions:

Is there an easy way of changing the color of Portugal to green? I really think portugal should be green, there is nothing connecting purple with Portugal at all, whereas green is both in the flag of Portugal and Brazil.

Is there an easy way of changing the revolution flag of New Spain? Maybe a little tutorial or something for us to do it? I'm speaking on behalf of all those that would rather fly their own colors instead of being stuck with the Argentinian flag.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work! :rockon:

The portuguese flag was blue and white at the time, but im ok with green if blue is not available

I'm sorry but this is not correct.

Crosses are only ever spent on immigration.

Your argument fails at the first hurdle. There are many founding farthers that equate cross productin to different things, such as increased bells or more production. Additionally, after declaring independence, crosses go towards sentiment, don't they? Which means the Iberians have one up on the British at this point.

Top Bottom