New challenge: Conquest victories

Do I:
1. Try the Cannae tactic and go straight for London and Amsterdam after capturing their 2 North American cities (most likely will sustain lots of lost ships en route), or
2. eliminate Portugal and England's presence in South America first while stealing rocketry from the Dutch and plastics from England, or
3. Try to vassalize the (still weak) French first to get a foothold in Europe?

Save the game and try them all?

I say go straight for London. Hail Mary, damn the torpedoes and pass the cheetos. They'll never see it coming.

So blizzrd, I took your advice. Conquered Vancouver (no religion too!), York Factory, Caracas, Georgetown, Fort Willoughby and boom, England collapses.

Then went for all the Portuguese cities while stealing Rocketry from the Dutch. First nuke was at Lisboa (shortly after the Spanish respawned). Portugal, Spain and shortly Netherlands (who still have just Bergen) eliminated.
France capitulated with just a NAm city captured because of my nuke right between Paris and Bordeaux.

Next up, Russia as a vassal (if they don't collapse first) would be best, because Germany has 2 vassals who might stay vassalized.

The difficult part, again, was not winning, it was trying to avoid domination. Russia capitulated which brought my area all the way up to 33% or so, even though I personally only owned about 19%, and so I had to kill Japan, Arabia, Germany, Persia, (respawned) Vikings very quickly, and made peace with Egypt to absorb the Middle East which delayed my victory for about 5 moves. Basically France had all of Europe, Inca has South America, Russia and China divvy up Asia, and Mali/France Africa.

Witness the last events of the short-lived Egyptian empire (me capturing empty cities):
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0332.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0332.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 774
  • Civ4ScreenShot0333.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0333.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 843
Russia capitulated which brought my area all the way up to 33% or so, even though I personally only owned about 19%,

Am I the only one who thinks that the AI is too eager to capitulate?

Well, they were the recipient of no less than 8 nukes, which basically decimated their frontier forces against a technologically Germany (who was still in a defensive pact with me at the time). I was about to capture a city in the east with tanks and planes (they only have rilfes). So no, I don't think they were too eager to capitulate. In fact, I counted on them to do so (having refused 2-3 requests for spontaneous vassalization from other civs before).

At last!! after 6 or 7 tries, I achived a conquest victory with the Romans :king: On last patch and on Monarch.

I had a very lucky start conquering the carthaginians and the greeks in 7n turns, then the egiptians and the celts felt easyly to my promoted veterans. GW on the late BCs and then builded up for the arab/euros/turk spawn. Surprizingly my expansion rating was positive most of the time but foregein ratig felt steadily for no aparent reason. After that a race to get to the necesary tech for world conquest before stability kill me. Survived 18 century thanks to GA and got Cristo rendentor and Industrialism 2 turns before my last GA was going to end, swiched civics declared war to everyone and begane to build tanks everywhere. I followed usual the conquest/liberation rutine until everyone was conquered!

Spoiler :
The Enlarged Roman Empire

Spoiler :
The jewel of the crow: Roman China

Spoiler :
South American Provinces

Spoiler :
A pitty I have to give up North America to my Aztec vassals for stability :mad: But it worked!

Spoiler :
Last cosnquests, 3rd time I had to conquer india...

Yes, I nuked them :blush: this game seemed to never end.

Attachments

• rcv1.jpg
    rcv1.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 95
  • rcv2.jpg
    rcv2.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 428
  • rcv3.jpg
    rcv3.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 525
  • rcv6.jpg
    rcv6.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 482
  • rcv5.jpg
    rcv5.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 439
  • rcv4.jpg
    rcv4.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 85
  • rcv7.jpg
    rcv7.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 459
Well, to keep this thread alive, here I present to you probably the first conquest victory in RAND (monarch of course): Germany in a large world.
Very fun in that whoever gets to discover the other civs with optics gets a whole bunch of conquerors. They all get upgraded to infantry and cavalry eventually.
Much harder than the previous patch because liberating cities doesn't really give much stability boost and Carthage was just about to collapse after I stuffed them full of cities.
Some civs of course have to be killed twice (England and Mali), but they were no match when they respawn because I kept the world behind without anybody else knowing rifling but me. America of course was directed away from democracy again and again.
And Rhye, please explain to me why my foreign category is a -72 when all the world is mine?:D

Cheers for the bump on this thread, I read the strategy in the first pages months and months ago and I'd like to add one of my successes. This is the last of my victories with 1.186, with Persia on Emperor. The first time I'd played all the way through with a 3000BC civ, the early combination of the middle and far east gave my empire two great powerhouses, and early Forbidden and Summer Palaces, coupled with lots of courthouses took care of the stability for the first half of the game. BTW the Germans are the greatest vassals, they will take Europe off your hands and crush any resurgencies straightaway.

Spoiler :
Victory0000.JPG

Spoiler :
Stability0000.JPG

Very nice, but not possible with the new patch--expansion alone will have killed you long ago.

At last!! after 6 or 7 tries, I achived a conquest victory with the Romans :king: On last patch and on Monarch.

I had a very lucky start conquering the carthaginians and the greeks in 7n turns, then the egiptians and the celts felt easyly to my promoted veterans. GW on the late BCs and then builded up for the arab/euros/turk spawn. Surprizingly my expansion rating was positive most of the time but foregein ratig felt steadily for no aparent reason. After that a race to get to the necesary tech for world conquest before stability kill me. Survived 18 century thanks to GA and got Cristo rendentor and Industrialism 2 turns before my last GA was going to end, swiched civics declared war to everyone and begane to build tanks everywhere. I followed usual the conquest/liberation rutine until everyone was conquered!
Very well done to you sir!

Top Bottom