Wrath of the AI

This is the most innovative game I've seen in a long time.

950 B.C. - At the beginning of this session, I have a Settler all ready to settle. Grassy Coast is founded south of Western Shore. Always a good way to start a session.

Not too much later, the Utopian city of Paradise completes The Oracle. As if they didn't already have a sufficiently happy citizenry!

The same turn, a Warrior of mine disperses some Hsung-Nu.

That's pretty lush terrain up there - unfortunately it's also north of the Big Jungle. Even so, it looks good enough that I'll probably be compelled to send a Galley up there once I have Map Making.

My expansion continues, with the town of Coastal Cove being founded at the northern edge of the forests south of Tobacco Junction. I've also completed a road through the marshes south of The Fens, and am sending a Settler there.

Rothair's Edicts give a Courthouse in every city. The actual edicts are a rather interesting read; they include such regulations as what happens if someone cuts off another's nose. Gives a taste of what Dark Age Lombard society was like.

Another regular Wonder. And just who I don't need to build it. But we didn't want this to be too easy, did we?

730 B.C. sees the founding of Swampy Plantation to the south of the marshland near The Fens. My workers are hard at work improving my expansion possibilities, but at this point I'm still rather limited.

The red outline shows the farthest extent my Settlers can currently travel. I'm already maxed out to the north, so it's critical that my workers keep building lots of roads if I'm going to keep expanding.

I believe this is the last of the Destructible Wonders for awhile. This one allows construction of the Royal Archery School, which will give the militarists lots and lots of archers to fight with.

Not a surprise really. They may still be the only ones with Literature. That's the benefit of being scientific.

Good, they built it as soon as possible. Woe to their enemies.

At this point I notice an unfortunate circumstance: the Sailors have beaten me to the flood plain to the south.

This means war - at some point. First, of course, I'm connecting my Iron, and I'm still expanding a bit first as well, but eventually...

In 610 B.C. I finally learn Writing. I decide to work on Literature next - in all likelihood Philosophy is already taken.

A century later...

A most appropriate construction. That means they already have Dromons - the sea is useless to me now! Or at least, it will be once I declare war on the Sailors.

Expansion has been calmly continuing southwards. The frontier in 490 B.C. looks as follows:

The iron is nearly connected, and I've lifted the expansion limitations that had plagued me earlier. I've also begun building a road through the Big Jungle. Unfortuantely, my old enemies the Goths have other plans.

My road crews are forced to fall back while a Spearman moves up to cover them. But with three workers there, work is going quickly. This forest will not be settled by Adventurers (the settling unit that is not wheeled and requires Medicine) in the 2nd millenium AD!

The next turn Desert Mine is founded, connecting my iron ore. The same action extends my cultural borders in Desert's Edge, bringing Incense within my borders. All bodes well for the eventual conquest of Helm!

In 390 B.C., Gothic Swordsmen overpower my workers building the road through the jungle. :mad: :mad: :mad: If I weren't planning to take Helm, I would definitely invade the Goths. As it is, I put that on hold, but declare a permanent vendetta against any and all Goths!

Ah yes, the Urban Destructible Wonders! This one gives them a Hospital in every city.

At this point I notice that my deserts don't seem to want to irrigate! Alas! It is a rule change I forgot I made! Deserts no longer can be irrigated - no really big cities with no water. You can still found cities in deserts - after all, you might want to stake claim to some Oil - but they won't be burgeoning metropoli.

The Sailors continue to annoy me, by founding New Sails right near where I was going to found a city. My Settler ignores them, and founds Mountain Wheat anyway.

This area ain't going to be pretty.

The second Urban Destructible Wonder. This one gives an Aqueduct in every city.

250 B.C. sees the completion of Literature. Libraries, however, will have to wait until my swordsmen are built.

Currently everything is still moving slowly. A Warrior defeats some Polynesians, but that's about all that's happening.

Two turns later I see two Dromons heading north.

That must mean they intend to claim the land north of the Big Jungle! Rats!

The next turn the Traders start heading north. Great, one on each shore to the north as well as the south of me.

But I also spot a border across the sea that I know to be Militarist.

I wonder if they are on my contient? If so they could prove quite useful with their massive number of missile units.

In 160 B.C. the Talented from the far north request I move some troops out of their territory. I accede, and, just out of curiosity, look at what they have to offer in trade. I am much surprised to discover they have 27,000 gold!!!

I double-check - and indeed they did not receive the 100,000 gold bonus the Wealthy did. They just are making insane amounts of money. Geez. At least their advantage over me in number of cities is no longer quite as severe. But if they have 27,000 gold already... wow. I'm not sure I want to know what they've been doing!

Finally, in 130 BC, I am ready to invade the Sailors. First I check the military page. Then I learn why the Talented have so much gold.

Five captured Wealthy workers? :hmm: I think they've been conquering their way to wealth! Taking a closer look at their city list, I spot the town of Mine. That's a Wealthy city! Well, at least it looks like the AI is making some effort to build huge empires this game. I'm glad I have a huge jungle between myself and then right now. *makes note NOT to cut down all of the jungle*

But back to the main theatre for the Intelligent! My invasion will be two-pronged.

Five Swordsmen will strike at Helm. To the west, two Swordsmen and two Warriors will attack New Sails. I will still have two Spearmen in Mountain Wheat to ensure those two Naval Warriors don't cause any harm.

If only I had a Chariot to capture those workers!

The Sailors are predictable, and the two Warriors both approach Mountain Wheat. I also notice that they've founded the city of New Stern to the north of the Big Jungle and are sending more Dromons in that direction. They made need to have cities up there if I am successful in this war.

The first combat of this war will occur at New Sails.

A crushing defeat. My next Swordsman is successful, however, and the city is burned to the ground. Helm is better defended, with two Spearmen and an Archer, but my five Swordsmen is sufficient, and it is razed as well. I send out a Settler to begin resettling the areas in more favorable locations.

Feeling pretty good about the results thus far, I decide that, if all looks well, I will delve deeper into Sailor territory. But then they decide to throw me a curveball.

:hmm: This could be problematic. However, as you can see, I happen to have an excellent view of the Talented military at the moment. And it consists almost entirely of Horsemen. This means they can't cross the jungle! I'll have to keep a Swordsman or two ready just in case they send some Archers, but for now I'm mostly safe. Unlike the barbarians they are chasing.

A regular Spearman finishes off both Naval Warriors, and at the moment I see none of their land units.

Choxorn's Oases finishes my first library the next turn, primarily a cultural edifice at the moment.

My units begin to advance into the southern fog, and all seems eerily quiet. But it is unsafe to not expect more Naval units. Several of them appear by the next turn, one at the expense of a Swordsman of mine.

The Swordsmen in the west finish off the Warrior and Horseman, and their Archer in the east is defeated by a Swordsman of mine. Unfortunately, they have another Archer right behind it.

Just when I think I've seen the last of the Sailors for a short time, however, an unfortunate Worker discovers some more.

There's no way to save him, but his comrade will be able to retreat to safety.

Back in the east, the far side of that river isn't being too kind to me. The Naval sailor in the forest kills the Swordsman near him, and the Archer on Wheat kills my redlined swordsman in the western part of the above screenshot.

-----

This is way up by the Universalists. My Warrior is being saved from their Horsemen by his mountain, but the Yue-Chi, of course, attack him rather than the Horsemen who would actually be much easier to kill off. The Yue-Chi swordsman dies for his foolishness.

The year is now 50 B.C., and I found a new city, Bountiful Waters, between the ruins of the two old Naval cities. With three sources of Wheat, it will be quite the breadbasket.

The Universalists then destroy one of my two Warriors up north.

The other is being surrounded by Archers and stands little chance. Two will attack him in 20 B.C., and a dozen in 1 AD. However, before being killed, he notices something important.

A Scientific city! But can he get there before being killed? Not if he stays on this mountain! So he decides to go on a trek. A bridgekeeper in the area recently caught up to him and conducted a short interview.

"What is your name?"

"My name is Jason, of the anti-nautical Intelligent people "

"What is your quest?"

"My quest is to acquaint my people with the scientists up north.

"What is the speed of a Talented Horseman?"

Unfortunately, this is all we have of the interview at this point. We're hoping to recover the rest of it later.

--------

At this point in our saga we have come to the year 1 BC. This was a most wonderous year, for in this year was born...

A great leader! He will be saved for either the Forbidden Palace or whatever other Small Wonder or Large Building I have need to build next - as the AI does not use armies in Conquests, neither shall I.

Excellent update Quint, and I loved the Monty Python reference.

Great start Quintillus and kudos on the great leader! I love the new civs that you created for the scenario - a breath of fresh air indeed! Just make sure that nothing unforetold happens to Brucha's Commune! ;)

This is the most innovative game I've seen in a long time.
Great start Quintillus and kudos on the great leader! I love the new civs that you created for the scenario - a breath of fresh air indeed! Just make sure that nothing unforetold happens to Brucha's Commune! ;)
Sounds like it totally different game. And it sounds cool too!
What is it about your stories? I'm always hooked on them! :)

Thanks. I suppose it's a consequence of playing Civ too much, and seeing some of the mods and game variants at CFC - it makes you think about how else things might be done. And here's the result.

As for Brucha's Commune... it should be okay... :scared:

Nice images! It might just be that type of game.

Lookin' good. ;) Damn, I wish my story had gotten 470 views in three days!

It's nice at first. Becomes a problem when the Photobucket bandwidth limit is reached.

Which brings up a side question - does anyone have any other good, interface-friendly and not too add-infested photo sharing sites? I'm not a big fan of ImageShack, and Photobucket's new audio adds are something I'd rather not deal with - for me audio ads is the point at which the annoyance of them cancels out any effectiveness they may have. I think I may have been successful in blocking the site that hosts Photobucket's ads (right now I'm seeing a bunch of 404's instead of ads), but if it turns out I haven't and I hear another one playing along with my music... :trouble:

Can't wait for more - you should release this mod on the forum here - it looks like alot of fun!

I probably will once I reach the Industrial Ages or so. That'll also allow me to spot any glaring absences in the Civilopedia, and possibly add different leaderheads/wonder graphics (such as a lightbulb for the Innovators, not something that'll drive up download size insanely). Things that weren't worth delaying this for, but would be better than 15 Knights Templar appearing to have built.

An update should be occuring soon. It'll get a good part, but not all, of what I've played.

The first turn after the start of the new millenium goes rather poorly. A Naval Settler is captured on the eastern front, but my defences prove inadequate in the west.

The Warrior razes the city. Taking the sting off the loss, however, is the 59 gold I gained from remembering to turn down Mathematics research the turn before it finished, and Swordsman completed in Leafy Village, just north of Incense Hills, the next turn.

At the end of the IBT, two Wonders are completed.

There go those Governors! Meanwhile, the Honourable getting the Great Wall could be interesting - they're already good at forging big empires, and that could be just what they need to keep their empire intact. Not like the Defensive needed the Great Wall anyway.

The next IBT, 40 AD, sees the Temple of Artemis completed in the Talented city of Craft. They have 500 more points than I do, meaning nearly double my score. That they are this advanced is somewhat concerning. They have Monarchy as well, as it is their government.

In 60 AD, the Sailors launch an unsuccessful attack on Bountiful Waters with a Warrior, and then attack my farthest-out scouting Swordsman.

Two units are fended off, but a third Archer does him in. I realize how much my Barracks have been saving me thus far. I soon also note that the Horsemen mean the Sailors have a resource I could really use - Horses!

It takes until 90 AD before I'm ready to launch another attack on the Sailors. This one is against the city of Tiller.

Two Spearmen are cut down, and a Dromon is sunk in the harbor. I keep the city for now, but plan to resettle further southeast along the coast before long - in the meantime it'll generate Wealth. My Settlers are making progress, however, and this turn one of them founds Dromon Delta at the mouth of the river I fought across.

A riddle is solved this turn, as well. It ends like this:

Bridgekeeper: What is the speed of a Talented Horseman?

Jason: What do you mean? A Talented Horseman on open plains, or a Talented Horseman on their rough hills?

Bridgekeeper: What? Well, I don't know that...

*aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh*

And Jason was able to continue on his way safely and reached the Scientific city!

I am surprised to discover that Galileo's civilization has only 10 cities, compared to my 21. Nevertheless, my advisor assures me that they consider us technologically backwards. Good!

Sure enough, Jason was just in time.

Regardless of what the Bridgekeeper meant, the average speed of a Talented Horseman is faster than that of a Warrior! I decide to make an embassy in the Scientific capital of Discovery, and then have Jason attack the Horsemen.

You'll see that the Academy is giving an additional 50% boost to science - 40% of 7 = 3, times 2 = 6. Kind of pitiful right now, but they've got the Great Library, and once this city gets big it'll be a huge science city. Discovery is north of the Talented, I suspect on the same continent. They have a lower score than I.

I do make an effort to save Jason diplomatically after he forces one Horseman to retreat, but the Talented want the city of Northern Frontier for peace! I tell them to get real, and figure I'll come back when signing a peace treaty won't break their alliance with the Sailors. My patrols north of Northern Frontier haven't seen them yet, and when they do come, they'll have to fight through the Goths first anyways. Jason is killed the next turn.

I am displeased to see that the Traders have claimed the location of Incense Hills.

I wanted to be the one with all that Incense to trade. Go figure the Traders would want to trade it, too. Nothing a nice war can't fix, though. But, just to add insult to injury, the insolent Traders decide to name their new city Profit! :mad:

In 120 AD, the Sailors begin attacking Tiller with Horsemen. As my Swordsman in it was already Dromon-redlined, they very nearly take it. I abandon it the next turn - keeping coastal cities against the sailors, I see, will not be as simple as I'm used to when the only enemy ships are Galleys.

The Sailors request peace in 140 AD, seeing they cannot retake what no longer exists. But they want tribute! I tell them to get real as well, as they already have fewer cities than I do. But I do take note that they lack Iron - all the better reason to conquer them now rather than later!

Ah, that's their mischief. Well, it won't suffice! It takes two Swordsmen, but the mine is defended. And in retaliaton, I send my Swordsmen charging in to attack Mizzen Sail.

I am somewhat surprised to be bombarded by a Catapult, but all the better, for now it is mine. And it doles out more damage to their Archer than my Swordsman.

The same turn I found the city of Power of the Sword to the southwest of Mizzen Sail, and I soon capture another Settler as well. I'm up to nine free workers.

By 170 AD I've already attacked Mainsail, to the southwest. Their archers continue to fail to stop the wave of my swordsmen.

I spot another of their Settlers right after this - smartly, heading in the opposite direction out of Mainsail. Meanwhile, the Goths attack Thunderfall with a Conscript Swordsman. Therefore, the Goths are now viewed as worse than trolls. This particular one was permanently banned.

Mainsail falls in 190 AD - before my main force of Swordsmen has even arrived! The front is going extremely well.

The river on which Dromon Delta lies was the original fighting grounds. Two sources of Wine have been added to my reserves since the beginning of the war, although Horses remain elusive.

Statistically speaking, I'm doing well at the end of the 2nd century AD as well. My GNP of 125 million is fifth, manufacturing is fourth at 88 megatons, and population is third at 2,223,000. Land is seventh, still on the top half. 8% literacy is 3rd, and 14% disease is the worst of anyone (restricted jungle settlement may have helped with this, but looking at where my cities are, I really have only myself to blame for this dreadfully high rate of disease).

My culture, meanwhile, is pitiful. And I haven't even met the Civilized yet. My wealth is a bit lacking, too - the Commercial have 2225 gold, and the Talented still have 24,900. Monarchy and a huge war chest is working out very well for them. Thank goodness for my jungles, even if it does make everyone ill.

The Seafaring and Commerical still exceed my score, and I struggle to have half of what the Talented do. The Power graph does nothing to comfort me.

I thought I was the one conquering the Seafaring!

Perhaps I'm not the only one...

190 AD - I establish an embassy in the Commercial capital of Exchange to find out what's happening.

No Forum - go figure. But I suppose there's not much need for it with 100% science funding, eh? And this city's doing pretty well with the Colossus and the free upkeep on the Marketplace and Harbor from the Trade Network.

Aha! Now the question becomes whither to continue the war against the Sailors, or to ally with them against the Commercial. Certainly that would be preferable to them allying against me. The Commercial have about 4 more cites (a 9:7 ratio relative to the Sailors), and the Sailors are willing to pay for peace. But I decide to continue the war against the Sailors - for now.

:( My enemy lost. And that Warrior had killed a Swordsman and a Warrior of mine! Guess I should've sent a Spearman against him.

That's the second Regular Wonder for the Honourable, the other being the Great Wall. It looks like they probably will survive.

And that's a good reason to consider peace with the Sailors. Then their alliance falls apart, and the Universalists will make peace. Theoretically at least. And I know if there are Warriors now, there will be Archers later. But I continue the war for now. If the deluge comes, I will, Shaka willing, make peace.

The Talented Warriors, fortunately, seem to be just the opposite of what their civilization name implies. The second does, however, pillage the road north of Northern Frontier, complicating my plan to pillage the road farther north of Northern Frontier to slow down their reinforcements.

By 250 AD, the Sailors have retaken Foremast from the Commercial. This is just the news I need to feel justified in continuing the war - so continue it shall!

260 AD -

Oh my! This could be an interesting war. The Scientific are advanced, but still in the Ancient Age, so their edge likely isn't enough to make much of a difference. And the Wealthy are, well, filthy rich. But they're likely still in Despotism. And if they lose a single city, the Scientists are filthy rich, too. That's the double-edged sword of having a huge starting pot of gold. As the Universalists are all too happy to rub in.

My Swordsmen up north have been advancing on the Universalists, and encounter them at the beginning of the road I had started oh-so-long ago.

The first destroys a Warrior; the second pillages the middle tile of the road. No more fast movement for you!

The Sailors had finally smartened up after I killed yet another Settler, and decided to use Dromons to get a Settler to resettle Tiller. Unfortunately for them, my Settler got there first, and founded Greek Fire at the mouth of the river.

Stern, in the southeast of the screenshot, is captured the same turn, taking out three Naval units and one hitpoint off a Swordsman of mine. My Swordsmen then go after the units south of my stack. The Horseman visible in the screenshot makes a very poor retreat decision, allowing me to destroy him despite the retreat.

In 265 AD, the Talented begin making a bigger show of their forces. The ones in the Jungle decide to sidestep my Swordsmen for now, but they also reveal some Swordsmen of their own. Meanwhile, a Galley is making its way south towards Jungle Town. Brucha's Commune is almost done with a Swordsman, so I send its Spearman north to Jungle Town for now in case they land there.

I retreat my Swordsmen the next turn, deciding to wait and see what the Talented do. I have five Swordsmen in the area and can get more there, so it's not a crisis - yet.

They advance right along where the path was after I retreat. Not terribly surprising.

The Seafaring seem to be pulling back their Dromons a bit - I'm glad, as their pointless bombardment was annoying. Then I receive this message.

I love it when your enemy gives you excellent reasons to continue your war against them. I discover the next turn that they had lost Foremast to the Commercial again, likely prompting this move, but they really would be better off with me as an ally than fighting me. Oh well - too bad for them. Not like they're going to want to DOW the Commercial again now, even if I would change enemies.

The Talented do not land by Jungle Town. Brucha's Commune is next in line for their Galley, but it is passed by as well. It's anyone's guess where the Talented are headed.

The Sailors continue to harass my Swordsmen down south, occasionally killing one. The Talented, within two tiles of Northern Frontier, are the greater concern, however. I recall all troops into the city, and am glad to see it can finish Walls within a turn. I plan to do a mix of letting them attack and attacking them. An additional Swordsman and Spearman are sent to Northern Frontier from Bright Future.

In 285 AD, the Commercial request I withdraw from the borders of Profit. I find this a bit odd - I don't have any units there. I agree to anyway, and my next turn find that not only did they get tons of Incense from profit, but they're culture-booming it! They think they'll have sole control of the only passageway through the mountains - no way! Fortunately Leafy Village just completed a Library; I set it to a Temple. This is a culture war now!

That same turn I attack the Naval city of Sails; it easily falls to my Elites. I then move a Swordsman to cut off the retreat path of their Horsemen, and attack them from the north. Both are easily killed. I am now near what is likely their final source of wines. I decide to ignore it for now, as I already have four sources of my own. Instead I'll finish off the western front, and ensure the Commercial don't have any easy pickings should they renew their war.

In a surprising move, the Talented move not directly next to Northern Frontier on their next turn, but along its cultural border. Perhaps they are heading to Jungle Town - or worse yet, Thunderfall! Fortunately I will easily be able to send reinforcements to Thunderfall in time if necessary. Their Galley, meanwhile, mysteriously turned around.

I finish Construction in 300 AD. It's been a very slow game tech-wise for me, but fortunately it seems to have been for most others as well. Only the Talented are not a Despotism; they are a Republic now (and used to be a Monarchy!). As rule of the seas is still impossible for me, with five Dromons bombarding me every turn, I set research to Currency.

The next Naval turn, the number of Dromons increases to eight. At this point I'd just as well they kept building more - I've already entirely surrendered the seas to them.

More of a real threat than their Dromons is the possibility of rebellion; this affects me this turn as Sails rebels. One Elite Swordsman is lost with the city. Conveniently, I have a Settler heading south at the very time - sounds like an excellent excuse to raze the city once I retake it.

And it is easily captured the next turn. I do not raze it right away, however. I decide to keep it for one turn for quicker transport - to be used to speed up the attack on their capital! Oar, the capital, contains the Great Lighthouse. And though that is useless to me now, it'll look nice in my Wonder case.

What of that priority of going west, you ask? Well, it got sidetracked when my scout spied Oar. It's a bad plan that can't be changed.

Just when I thought the Talented were heading to Jungle Town, they attack my scouting Swordsman on a mountain who is tracking their progress. Two enemy Swordsmen fall, mine is promoted to Elite, and he loses only the one hitpoint he will regain from healing. I still think the Talented are headed to Jungle Town, but if I can draw off their Swordsmen here, I'll certainly do so.

320 AD is the year for the attack on Oar. I have four Swordsmen ready. I know there's a Dromon in the city, so the reward for sinking it is high - but there's now at least nine Dromons outside of the city as well. They're like the plague. Which reminds me that the plague will occur at some point, too - and I am now within the time frame in which the plague could occur!

The Naval Spearmen continue to fare very poorly. Oar is taken without losses. It does face a slight risk of being retaken if they have Horsemen nearby, but even if it is, it will easily fall to my forces again.

I'm more confident that the location of Sails won't fall, however, and abandon it and resettle it as Broken Mast.

The Talented seem to be gaining respect for me as I destroy their ally, and offer peace for 127 gold (including per-turn payments) in 325 AD. Even though they do have a good number of troops within my sight by now, they have yet to display any aptitude for strategy or tactics. So I refuse them.

And they justify me immediately afterwards. They do not send anyone towards Jungle Town, and send a mere Spearman towards Northern Frontier. At least they do finally commit to action with the Galley, dropping a Horseman by currently undefended Brucha's Commune. But that's no reason to be concerned.

I've been noticing fewer Horsemen in recent turns from the Sailors. Though good in a way, as the slower Archers were unable to take advantage of the Dromon bombardment enough to take Oar this turn, might it also mean they no longer have horses, and that the Commercial stole their source of Horse? I check, but am much relieved to find my enemy still has Horses! Where, I still do not know, but at least they have them!

The very next turn I am able to attack the city of Starboard, which was founded to the portside of Oar and even now is not on the starboard side of their empire.

:wow: Someone's learning how to fight on land! But it is not enough, and the city is taken.

And, though I nearly forget about it, Brucha's Commune sees action this turn as well. It completed a Swordsman just in time for the Talented Horseman's arrival, and should have no problem defeating it. The Swordsman moves out to ensure the Horseman can't cowardly turn tail and run, and attacks.

Oops. Well, that wasn't supposed to happen. Guess that's too bad for Brucha's Commune. Apparently communism wasn't destined to succeed after all...

Brucha won't be happy.

And, though I nearly forget about it, Brucha's Commune sees action this turn as well. It completed a Swordsman just in time for the Talented Horseman's arrival, and should have no problem defeating it. The Swordsman moves out to ensure the Horseman can't cowardly turn tail and run, and attacks.

Oops. Well, that wasn't supposed to happen. Guess that's too bad for Brucha's Commune. Apparently communism wasn't destined to succeed after all...

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::cry:

Oh the humanity! Well, the only thing to do that I can see is restart the game - there is no other hope I am afraid;)

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::cry:

Oh the humanity! Well, the only thing to do that I can see is restart the game - there is no other hope I am afraid;)

Oh come now, one small little problem and you give up in despair? How's a commune ever supposed to succeed, let alone become glorious, like that?

I've played a good bit more than what's currently posted, about two and a half centuries' worth (no restart!). It's been fun and interesting. There'll be an update in 4-5 hours' time.

The citizens of Brucha's Commune are in terror, convinced their future lies with the aggressive and cunning Talented people from the north. They know not what to do; their governor is no help. He paces the town hall and the streets despondent and fatalistic, mumbling about maybe somehow setting back time so perhaps this fate might not have befallen them. A lot of good that does. Finally the lieutenant governor takes some action, and orders a gigantic white flag to be constructed to be waved over the town gate when the Talented arrive. The whole town is adopting the governor's gloomy outlook.

But wait! All is not lost! Thunderfall is to the rescue! It too has completed a Swordsman this turn, and its Swordsman is within reach of the malicious Horseman threatening Brucha's Commune!

Huzzah! Brucha's Commune will live to see another day! The citizens are overjoyed at their salvation, and immediately sack their governor and replace him with one whom they know won't falter at the slightest sight of trouble.

But that small victory doesn't mean all is happy-go-lucky.

I'm beginning to be concerned about the Universalists' technology. Not that I didn't know they could build the Hanging Gardens, but that no one else did first means they may well have been first to be able to. And judging by the diplomacy screen, it looks like they're in the Middle Ages already.

Speaking of whom, it looks like the Universalists may have finally settled on a target of mine - and it looks like it will be Northern Frontier after all. My Swordsman on the mountain east of Northern Frontier demolishes one of the Archers to his east, and everyone else settles in. The only offensive Talented units near the town are two Archers and a Warrior, but nonetheless the moment of the Universalist commitment to an attack will be a big one.

But alas, that moment has not come.

The Talented make quick work of my mountain encampment, but seem to be ignoring Northern Frontier. Rather, they seem to be trying to take away our beloved Thunderfall! Such an affront to civilization shall not be allowed to occur!

Despite the threats from the Talented, the southern war continues as well, and another city is dislodged from Naval hegemony in 350 AD.

I am thrilled to discover that three sources of Incense are just outside Anchor's borders, and safe from possible Commercial exploitation. No monopoly for them!

Even better, as I go to change the build production in Brucha's Commune, I notice I can build Chariots! Anchor was the Naval source of horse!

Continuing on the southern front, in 360 AD, my Swordsmen attack the Ruddy, that is, the inhabitants of the city of Rudder. For the first time, they are aided by a Catapult.

It is successful, but so is the Naval catapult that attacks my first Swordsman. Despite being redlined before taking away a single hitpoint from the Spearman, he wins. But it is not enough - both of my other Swordsmen fall to the remaining Spearman. The Ruddy are the first decent defenders we've faced.

By 365 AD, it appears the Talented are heading towards whatever city happens to be lightest defended. Now, that is Brucha's Commune. Fear not, it will survive. Communism is on the tech tree, so it has to survive, right?

Alas! I really need to finish those blokes off once and for all. Maybe the troop pull to the north is hurting me.

So in 370 AD I have two cities to attack. Rudder comes first, but my troops are beset with heavy defeat once more. Ruddy these people are not!

At this point, if Sails is not retaken, things are looking rather poor on this front. Fortunately my troops are able to gain victory there and retake it. Nevertheless, I have been diverting too many troops north. Despite that, I still think I can take Gunwale in the west of the Naval Empire, and then those troops can turn back east.

The Talented surprise me in 375. They continue approaching Brucha's Commune, which is hastily whipping together some walls, just when some Archers attack Thunderfall! Thankfully, the troops are fended off, and not a single Spearman is lost to them despite the lack of walls in Thunderfall. At the end of the turn no Talented units are within range of Thunderfall - our capital is safe!

But is Brucha's Commune? In 385 AD, the Universalists assault it.

Uh-oh. Warriors aren't supposed to do that much damage against Spearmen behind a wall.

That's the second Archer to be killed. A good comeback; the Spearman is promoted to Elite. I have two Spearmen there.

:sad: Now it's down to two redlined Spearmen. They attack with another Archer.

:eek: One redlined Spearman!!!!!!! Oh no!!! Will they do it? They don't appear to have any more archers...

:dubious: You can't be serious! The Commune can't be... no! It is! Universalist!

:please: Don't commit regicide, Brucha. We'll get it back. Very, very soon. Just wait. Very, very, very soon!!! :hide:

I think you may want to consider switching to a one-front war for now. It seems like your best bet.

The poor events of the year 385 AD continue.

Down south, the Sailors kill off two of my units near Rudder. Things are going downright ruddy right now. I may make peace with the Sailors after taking Gunwale.

I still have not met the Wealthy. Checking with Galileo the next turn, it seems the war was a stalemate.

In 390 AD, my first priority is to take Gunwale. We make extra sacrifices to the RNG gods, and hope for the best.

That was the Swordsman that spawned our great leader that just died! The gods must be angry! The Emperor decides the time to repent has come - but first, we must try once more to take Gunwale! The second Swordsman wins. Good. Now for the final one.

Whew. Maybe we don't have to repent after all? I am tempted to order my troops on, but first check with Prince Henry of the Sailors to see if he wishes peace. And indeed, that is the case! He offers me both Rudder and Port for peace. I can't really go wrong with that deal right now, and agree to the deal.

Well, not quite neighbouring, but we get a sea passageway. Nothing to complain about.

The war is all up north now. We won't make peace until we have Brucha's Commune back unless absolutely essential to save Thunderfall - sorry, Brucha, but you aren't an admin and Thunderfall is. This turn we must destroy a Spearman threatening to cut off Northern Frontier.

We lose one Swordsman in the effort, but save the roads. There shouldn't be any more attacks for now. But the warfare has definitely escalated.

Which flows nicely into the final event of 390 AD - our encounter with Death.

My Curragh does not sink in the Strait of Death, and introduces me to Temujin of the Militaristic. I am somewhat surprised to discover he has only nine cities, and that they are dead last in power and score - well, perhaps just above the Seafarers in power now. A lack of Iron appears to be the cause for their dearth of power at least. I establish an embassy in their capital of Conflict, and find they sure do have a ton of Archers.

They really need a war - it looks like they may well be choking on unit support. At least they have veterans. They are at about our technological level according to my advisor. It also looks like they were rather unlucky with their starting location - the only two-food square is the fish.

Temujin immediately becomes my favorite leader, however, with this statement:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

This is too good! Thank you Temujin for putting Death near the sea! No, of course our troops are near death on purpose, we intentionally starve them so they run towards our enemies' fields more eagerly. You fool! Of course they're near Death by accident. This is such a good AI question that I put Temujin on my "good" list and determine to make an alliance with him at some point if at all convenient. Any AI capable of this good of humour is a worthy ally.

Believe me, we wish we could make sure none of our troops are ever near death again!

After that diplomatic gaffe, I'm in such a good mood that the vast number of Universalist troops approaching Jungle Town doesn't even bother me. Let them come - my troops are near Death anyway!

We have enemies near Northern Frontier again as well. For, in 395 AD, the Huns began their first large scale assault on the Intelligent Empire.

They are just powerful enough to be annoying. Still just barbarians, but in enough force we have to leave more troops in Northern Frontier than I'd like to have to.

And more excellent news. I suppose this means my troops are even nearer death. Oh well, it turns out near Death experiences are so funny that they actually seem like a good thing now.

Coming back to the earth, however, I notice that Jungle Town really is in trouble.

Seven Archers and two each of Swordsmen and Spearmen. No amount of laughter is going to turn them back. Well, it looks like we'll just have to hunker down. But while they're up there, perhaps the time is right to take back the Commune!

Three Swordsmen and three Spearmen. Zeus willing, the city should fall.

Well, that city certainly fell.

The Huns actually did okay for barbarians, taking three hitpoints off my defenders. But they do not pillage the city.

410 AD is the year to retake Brucha's Commune! Twenty-five years is too long for it to be under foreign hegemony.

:gulp: Not a great start. But the Commune is still well within our grasp!

Good, good!

But then, horror of horrors, my final Swordsman is killed. And they have another Spearman in reserve! The battle is lost. The evil Univeralists will rule Brucha's Commune another year. The Emperor sinks into deep mourning, as do his subjects. Another force is being gathered in Thunderfall as these words are typed.

As I mull over what to do next, a random observation hits me: the landmass that I have currently uncovered looks vaguely like the British Isles.

I doubt it will look too much like them in the end, but you never know.

The Univeralists are reorganizing in 415 AD, but they get enough troops near Brucha's Commune that I won't safely be able to send troops next to it in 420 AD.

I have seven Swordsmen and two Spearmen in Thunderfall, with two more Spearmen and a Swordsman near Brucha's Commune. At least eight Archers and a Swordsman could attack any troops I put near Brucha's Commune. Any attack would be a great risk - if I were crushed, Thunderfall would be in serious danger.

I decide against attacking now. What I need is to ensure a safe avenue of attack, and that does not exist now. The key is a Chariot southwest of Thunderfall. If it can pillage the tile 1 W of Brucha's Commune, the Univeralists will have a much tougher time attacking any of my attacking forces. But the Chariot needs one more turn to get close enough to run in and pillage. That time will also allow a few more troops to get to Thunderfall.

The Talented attack and ultimately kill the Swordsman who survived the Second Battle of Brucha's Commune, as he could not retreat quickly enough. But overall I am incredibly lucky this turn - the Talented make it a cakewalk for my Chariot to pillage the road I need pillaged!

It's a good thing, too, because 10 Archers, 3 Swordsmen, 3 Spearmen, and a Warrior are approaching Thunderfall, and I can't in good conscious send too many of the Spearmen there out of the city.

So in 430 AD, the Chariot is, for what I need now, the most powerful unit in my arsenal, and I could wish for no more powerful unit. Well, okay, a Modern Armor would be nice, but really, a Chariot does the job I *need* done as good as any unit could.

Nine Swordsmen and two Spearmen rush towards Brucha's Commune. This time they're sure to succeed! I just hope it doesn't leave Thunderfall too weak.

My Chariot kills one Archer, but is slain by another. Still a most excellent showing for a 1/1/2 unit - probably the most useful a Chariot has ever been to me. Usually if I have one it's just for kicks since it's so rarely seen - here, it turned out to be essential.

The Talented army goes in half a dozen different directions in 435 AD. Some go towards the relatively lightly-defended Northern Frontier, three Swordsmen, a Warrior, and a Spearman approach Brucha's Commune, and six Archers and a Spearman reach the gates of Thunderfall.

It's kinda crazy out here! Northern Frontier is safe for this turn, but could well be in grave danger next turn. I attack Brucha's Commune first.

:woohoo: Comrade Brucha should be most pleased! Unfortunately the Talented had burned through all but about 9600 of their gold reserves, so I didn't get a king's ransom from the city, but 143 gold isn't chicken feed, either, more than doubling my treasury.

Unfortunately, I soon see that another four Archers, Swordsman, and two Spearmen are in the jungles outside Brucha's Commune. The Battles of Brucha's Commune may not be over yet. The Talented will make peace for 140 gold, but I'm a bit too proud to swallow my pride quite yet. Besides, this is a fun war. Jungle Town or bust!

With plenty of reinforcements arriving at Thunderfall, I send two Swordsmen to help relieve the pressure on the defenders of Brucha's Commune.

Two enemy Swordsmen are killed. Brucha's Commune is almost guaranted to survive.

Awwww... nerts! Now I'm in a bind. "Jungle Town or bust!" has very quickly become :run:. I'll settle for not having Jungle Town now, but I doubt the Talented would agree to much at the moment.

Anyone else ever thought this dialog ought to be the other way around? Shouldn't the one who just declared on you be treacherous and your old enemy be evil? Oh well, it doesn't matter a whole lot now.

Fortunately, the enemy are utterly vanquished in the Fourth Battle of Brucha's Commune. But it ain't over yet - they're putting all their eggs in one basket, and that basket is taking Brucha's Commune back again. Their reinforcements all seem headed in that direction.

Or all but one of their eggs.

A Code of Laws is created. The first one outlaws the Univeralists. Making that our first law teaches us quite quickly a valuable lesson - laws are useless if you can't enforce them. And we can't enforce that one. I decide to research Map Making at last.

The Commercial are not immediately able to attack any of my cities, but Gunwale will be cut off, and I really don't have enough troops in this area to think I can save Anchor. Mainsail can get a Swordsman from its Library shields, but I'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel down here.

I really don't know what to do with a two-front war at this point. I consider bringing in the Sailors in the south, but I've weakened them to the point they'll hardly be any help. And without more troops down south, I can't hope to win there. But take too many away from the north, and defending it is like rolling the dice. Expecting nothing, I turn to Shaka of the Talented and ask for peace.

:worship: They have switched from Republic to Monarchy, so the commerce hurt may be getting to them. Regardless, this is a godsend to us. The Commercial are about equal to me according to my military advisor, so I ought to be able to defeat them once my troops get there. Perhaps best of all, no one will want to trust the Talented with military alliances anymore!

I send troops south, knowing Anchor and Gunwale are doomed, and hope that perhaps the other cities can be saved. But my problems, apparently, will start before the Commercial military even arrives.

Traitors to the cause! I really need some more culture.

I have my troops abandon Anchor in 460 AD, with its fall inevitable. Better to live to fight another day than to die in vain. The city I do not raze, as it may be useful to have when I retake it if it isn't auto-razed.

Blimely! I guess that'll teach me not to sign an alliance with everyone whom I can sign one with! This declaration shouldn't be that big of a deal, but as it is, the Sailors really do have the upper hand at the moment. They'll probably take a city or two.

The Commercial take Anchor, but it is not destroyed - probably due to its Naval culture. Meanwhile, several cities in the south go into civil disorder due to the war with the Sailors.

:(. They're too bloody advanced! They'll have Longbows on me soon if I get in a war with them again! But this game wasn't supposed to be easy.

And the insolent curs still are within my territory. :ar15: Oh, they'll get what's coming. Someday... :trouble:

By 470 AD, the Commercial are threatening both Mountain Wheat and Power of the Sword, which, in perhaps the largest misnomer in the empire, is guarded by axe-wielding Warriors. I decide to solve the problem there first.

The Chariot wins, and retreats to safety so the other Archer can't attack it. Says who Chariots are useless?

Mountain Wheat will have to sustain itself on the defence.

By Starboard, I can now retake the city, but I have no chance of keeping it. I attack the Commercial attackers instead.

Two enemy Swordsmen are killed. It is not enough to save my units, but it may be enough to save the Broken Mast or Rudder. My attackers are killed the next turn.

In 485 AD, the Talented finally leave my territory once and for all, probably in reaction to some barbarians up north. It's almost unfortunate, as I can no longer get them to declare war whenever I like, but with the war down south, it's a good thing right now.

Port falls to the Sailors this turn. It really didn't stand a chance. Oar comes under attack, too, but holds out.

Mountain Wheat comes under attack by three units, but does not fall. The odds look poor for next turn, with two Swordsmen against one Spearman. To the south, Gunwale falls.

Two cities lost in one turn is a poor showing. Still I can do little to rectify the situation. But my troops are finally getting to the point where I can start launching offensives of my own.

The next turn I begin just such an advance against a Commercial flood plain city whose name I cannot make out. Three Swordsmen advance towards it, and a Chariot attempts to knock out the Archer in their way.

Perhaps I should write a book on chariotry in Civilization III. Turns out they're useful well into the Iron Age. I have another, my last until I get my Horses back, on its way.

The Sailors make a smart move in 495 and attack the Swordsman I'd moved outside of Oar to finish off their Horseman, but lose.

Mountain Wheat comes under attack, but its defenders fight marvelously, and the Commercial are repelled.

It looks like it'll be a tough fight at the Commercial city of Bills, though, as reinforcements are coming to meet my raiding party.

Up north, too, the Commercial are making a presence. They've three cities north of the Big Jungle, and they have a few units there. They are targeting the lightly defended northwest part of my empire.

I send a Spearman to secure the mountain north of Tobacco Junction, and have the selected Swordsman march north. I doubt they'll pose a serious threat here, but they do require attention.

Halfway through the millenium, I lose my last Chariot to a Swordsman south of Mountain Wheat. But my Swordsmen are in high numbers near both Profit and the flood plain city of Bills, and I anticipate far greater success at those cities than the Commercial have enjoyed at Mountain Wheat.

Map Making is completed in 510 AD, and I set research to two-turn Mysticism, the minimum research time in this game. Polytheism will take awhile, but I should be in the Middle Ages by 750 AD or so.

Top Bottom