random events guide

z0wb13

undead
update to 3.17

comments welcome. i like random events and always play with them on. for those that dislike random events due to barbarian uprisings, i address this concern in the barbarians section.

the gambits, for the most part, are common enough events that, with a little forward planning, you can expect to contend for most them in about 80% of your games.

furthermore, good and bad events have been separated for convenience, as have events dealing with unit promotions.

credits to moderator ori, et al, for mining all of this data, ShannonCT who knows more about maths than i do, and PieceOfMind for helping me to think some of this stuff out.

if you need more general information on how all of the active/weight scores works, scroll down.

gambits
Spoiler :
these seemed like the best events that you might have some effect on triggering using a few gambits. all of these events have a relatively high likelihood of occurring sometime in your game. however, this is a first draft and not meant to be the final word on anything; comments are welcome.

credits to ori, et al. all of this info has been ripped straight from him.

*keep forest/jungle
**take relations hit
***event disabled

Event2
City Ruins
Prereq: City Ruins in your control
Obsolete: RADIO or REFRIGERATION or PLASTICS or SATELLITES or ADVANCED_FLIGHT or ECOLOGY
Active/Weight: 90/1000
Result:
1.you get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech
2.you get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech AND pay gold (5% of tech cost) for a chance for 3
3.you get +15% of remaining tech cost for a tech

it is always a good idea to let any ruins stand.

Event6
At the Sword
Prereq: 1 damaged Swordsman
Obsolete: MACHINERY or FEUDALISM or MUSIC or PHILOSOPHY or CIVIL_SERVICE or THEOLOGY
Active/Weight: 100/500
Result:
1.the chosen Swordsman gains 3 XP

since you can get it in all games, you might as well throw in a shock swordsman for barbarian defense.

Event7:
Man named Jed
Prereq: 1 Scout or Explorer AND Oil (not revealed) AND unit (i.e. the scout or explorer) on this plot
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 75/5000
Result:
1.Nothing
2.you pay 10 gold and Oil is revealed

i'm sure that many thoughtful people will disagree that this one is practical. however, the high weight, the highest of all events, makes it interesting to me.

Event12:
Slave Revolt
Prereq: Slavery Civic AND city with population 4 or more AND WRITING or MONOTHEISM or PRIESTHOOD or IRON_WORKING
Active/Weight: 80/500
Result:
1.+1 angry face (like whipped) AND -2 population AND 1 turn revolt AND chance of looping to 3
2.you pay 10 gold AND -1 population AND 1 turn revolt AND chance of looping to 3
3.1 turn revolt

the best example of why you should keep at least 10 gold on hand at all times, it is a much maligned event on these boards. however, if you study its prereqs you can see that there are a few ways to protect against it. if spiritual, plan your whips so that you only have to spend 5 turns at a time under the slavery civic. or, if you plan on staying in slavery for a long time, you can use the whip unsparingly so that your cities don't spend that much time above pop 4.

*Event17:
Horticulture
Prereq: Forest OR Jungle tile under your control AND CALENDAR
Active/Weight: 80/200
Result:
1.The tile yields +1 commerce
2.you pay 100 gold, the tile yields +1 commerce, chance for 3
3.+3 health AND 1 free scientist in nearby city

a good reason not to clear cut jungles; you can leave 2 jungles in a city without suffering any negative :yuck: effects. if you have roads or other improvements around the jungles, they can't spread.

*Event25
Spicy
Prereq: Forest tile under your control AND CALENDAR AND 4 or less happy resources AND no spices
Active/Weight: 50/100
Result:
1.The tile gains Spices
2.You pay 20 gold, the tile gains Spices, the Forest is removed and a road and plantation is build

not very likely to happen in a typical game, but another compelling reason to keep some forests.

**Event29
Looters
Prereq: at least one angry in neighboring AI's city
Active/Weight: 70/100
Result:
1.one tile improvement is pillaged
2.you pay 40 gold AND 2 to 4 tile improvements are pillaged
3.you loose 50 Espionage points (with that AI) AND 3 to 5 tile improvements are pillaged AND 2 to all buildings in that city are destroyed AND chance of 4
4.-2 Attitude with neighboring AI

basically a good event, but you have to decide whether to take the relations hit. i'd say that normally it's worth it; 2 to all buildings destroyed.

**Event30
Brothers in Need
Prereq: You and other AI have same state religion AND can trade resources AND you have more then 1 of any of the listed resources AND the other AI lacks this resource: COPPER or IRON or HORSE or IVORY or OIL or URANIUM AND other AI is at war AND you are not at war
Active/Weight: 100/1000
Result:
1.Nothing
2.you gift Copper
3.you gift Iron
4.you gift Horse
5.you gift Ivory
6.you gift Oil
7.you gift Uranium

it depends on who you want to stay friends with. the prereqs are a bit confusing. i'm not sure if i have every gotten this event, but i have been asked for resources during wartime.

***Event33
Tsunami
Prereq: THEOLOGY or LITERATURE or CODE_OF_LAWS or MACHINERY AND City is coastal
Active/Weight: 0/0
Result:
1.if city has less then 6 population it is destroyed
2.else city looses a number of buildings AND looses 5 population

disabled. i think it should be in the game, though, because it's totally brutal.

Event36
Volcano
Prereq: own a peak tile WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING
Result:
1.cottages, hamlets, villages and towns around the peak are destroyed

particularly brutal, and a good reason not to cottage around peaks.

Event48
Ice Sculpture
Prereq: own tundra tile AND AESTHETICS
Result:
1.+100 culture in nearest city
2.pay 120 gold AND nearest city gains 1 settled great artist

here's good reason to start keeping more :gold: on reserve as the game progresses.

Event54
Great Depression
Prereq: at least 1 founded corporation somewhere
Active/Weight: 40/100
Result:
1.All players loose 25% of their gold

a not-so-compelling reason to not keep :gold: on hand. it won't happen in very many games and i've never seen it.

Event55
Bermuda Triangle
Prereq: 1 modern ship or submarine on Ocean plot AND FLIGHT
Result:
1.Unit is destroyed

so don't sleep units on ocean tiles.

Event64
Federal Reserve
Prereq: Free Market Civic AND at least 1000 gold AND CORPORATION
Active/Weight: 90/200
Result:
1.-10% Inflation
2.pay 200 gold AND -25% Inflation

this is a perennial favorite on the boards. it gives the most compelling reason to keep 1000 :gold: in the bank. while it is not highly weighted, it is 90% certain that it is going to happen to one of the players in your game. it might as well be you.

Event65
Electric Company
Prereq: Emancipation Civic AND no angry citizen any city AND ELECTRICITY
Result:
1.+1 happy face in every city

another reason to run emancipation.

Event66
Hindenberg [sic]
Prereq: 1 Airship anywhere AND RADIO
Active/Weight: 85/500
Result:
1.Nothing
2.pay 45 gold AND gain +1 happy face for every Airport

it won't cost too much to build one measly airship and park it, although kind of happens late and isn't super useful.

*Event67
Comet Fragment
Prereq: Forest Tundra tile with NO road NO railroad NO improvement under your control AND ROCKETRY
Active/Weight: 80/100
Result:
1.+5% Spaceship production AND +2 Research for every laboratory AND the forest is removed

another reason to keep forests.

Event75
Wining Monks
Prereq: at least 1 Monastry AND grassland OR plains tile with NO Forest NO Jungle NO road NO railroad AND NO improvement AND MONACHY AND no wine resource available
Active/Weight: 65/100
Result:
1.Tile gains Wine resource
2.you pay 20 gold AND tile gains wine resource AND Winery AND road

not a very likely or even that good an event. it just made me think to say that roads and improvements should be build on the same tiles, don't just waste worker turns building roads on every single square.

Event77
Ancient Olympics
Prereq: POLYTHEISM AND State Religion is NOT Judaism OR Christianity OR Islam
Obsolete: MACHINERY or FEUDALISM or MUSIC or PHILOSOPHY or CIVIL_SERVICE or THEOLOGY
Active/Weight: 75/400
Result:
1.Nothing
2.pay 20 gold AND gain +1 attitude with all neighboring AIs

here's a reason why the abrahamic religions are less fun to run than some of the others. plus, if you get this event, you know that you can get the next one in 100% of your games.

Event78
Modern Olympics
Prereq: SCIENTIFIC_METHOD AND Event77 option 2 has occurred
Result:
1.+1 Attitude with all AIs you have met

just make sure that you keep at least 20 :gold: in reserve throughout the classical era.

Event93
Heroic Gesture
Prereq: You are at war and winning
Active/Weight: 80/350
Result:
1.Nothing
2.You make Peace AND gain +1 Attitude with the opponent

if you are at war long enough, this event will likely occur. i wouldn't take it if i was going to take the enemy capitol on the next turn.

Event94
Great Mediator
Prereq: You are at war for 10 or more turns
Active/Weight: 85/200
Result:
1.Nothing
2.You make Peace AND gain +1 Attitude with the opponent

if you are at war long enough, this event will likely occur, especially if you are trying some ancient ai choke strategy.

Event105
Security Tax
Prereq: METAL_CASTING or IRON_WORKING or MONARCHY or ALPHABET or MATHEMATICS or CODE_OF_LAWS or AESTHETICS or THEOLOGY AND city with walls
Obsolete: NATIONALISM or PRINTING_PRESS or EDUCATION or GUNPOWDER or ASTRONOMY
Active/Weight: 70/500
Result:
1.you gain 20 to 80 gold

another reason to build walls.

Event106
Literacy
Prereq: NATIONALISM or PRINTING_PRESS or EDUCATION or GUNPOWDER or ASTRONOMY AND all cities have a library
Active/Weight: 30/100
Result:
1.1 city gains a free settled great scientist

this is a rather powerful reward. however, it isn't going to happen in that many games, and having a library in every single city is a bit clumsy.

Event127
Miracle
Prereq: City with walls AND state religion
Result:
1.+1 commerce for city's walls
2.you pay 30 gold AND spread your state religion to 2 own cities

another reason to build walls.

Event131
High Warlord
Prereq: City with castle AND NOT Emancipation civic
Obsolete: RADIO or REFRIGERATION or PLASTICS or SATELLITES or ADVANCED_FLIGHT or ECOLOGY
Result:
1.you gain 100 gold
2.you gain 2 free Pikeman units
3.city gains 1 free settled great general

another reason to build a castle.

Event137
Experienced Captain
Prereq: City with Drydock naval unit with 7 or more XP
Active/Weight: 95/200
Result:
1.City gains +2 gold for its drydock
2.you pay 250 gold AND city gains Military Academy

you need steel for dry-dock. it has a high payoff, especially for just keeping one ship in harbor for a few-many turns. it will occur in almost every game you play, though its average weight means that it may take many turns to actually trigger. might as well go for the cheap military academy, though.

Event139
Partisans
Prereq: Emancipation civic AND one of your cities was razed
Active/Weight: 35/0
Result:
1.a number of drafted units (equal to city's culture level -1) spawn at the city site
2.half that number of drafted units spawn in the capital

this one is weird because it has a zero weight, but i'm pretty sure that i've seen it happen. i don't seem to recall this event happening more than twice in a single game. but note that the ai can get this event, making city razing more hazardous. the computer usually takes the first option just to harass you.

from Phil725: I believe that this event is glitched (coded wrong?) In that it was intended to occur in 35% of razed cities in every game. However, it seems to occur in 100% of razed cities in 35% of games.
from ori: pre 3.17 it triggered always regardless of whether the player who got his city razed was running emancipation. Now it triggers always (if it is active) if the player who gets a city razed is running emancipation.
This one event is special in that it is not called from the usual random event code but from another python code that ensures that it actually is not randomly executed. They just wanted to have about 1/3 of games in which Emancipation is a little more of a deterrent to city razing
Event140
New Dynasty
Prereq: Hereditary Rule civic AND capital AND MACHINERY or FEUDALISM or MUSIC or PHILOSOPHY or CIVIL_SERVICE or THEOLOGY
Active/Weight: 45/100
Result:
1.Capital gains +1 settled great general
2.Capital gains +1 settled great merchant
3.Capital gains +1 settled great priest

very good payoff, but low probability. it is only active:p in 45% of your games, still hereditary rule is a likely civic to be running from the medieval through the renaissance period. not something i'd fish for, though.

Event143
Charismatic
Prereq: Police State civic AND NATIONALISM or PRINTING_PRESS or EDUCATION or GUNPOWDER or ASTRONOMY
Active/Weight: 65/100
Result:
1.All Gun units gain the March promotion
2.+2 happy faces in all cities

the only unit promotion type of event with a >50% likelihood of occurring in your game, it is also one of the best. however, not everyone will find a use for police state, and having a rather low weight, it is still very unlikely to occur when compared to some of these other gambits.

Solver's events:

Event157
Healing Plant
Prereq:
Obsolete: FEUDALISM or MACHINERY or PHILOSOPHY
Result:
1.+1 happy face for 10 turns
2.+1 angry face (like whipped) in all cities, 20% chance of 4 and 35% chance of 5
3.+2 angry faces (like whipped) in all cities, 50% chance of 4 and 90% chance of 6
4.all cities lose 1 population
5.all cities gain +1 healthy face
6.all cities gain +2 healthy faces

if you use a GSci to bulb philosophy in most of your games, you will probably miss this one. if you can afford the unhappiness, i'd take option three. it is a short-term hindrance, less early production, for a long-term benefit, half of the expansive trait.

Event159
Controversial Philosopher
Prereq: Capital with more than 35 research per turn AND Theocracy Civic AND PHILOSOPHY
Obsolete: SCIENTIFIC_METHOD
Active/Weight: 75/1000
Result:
1.+1 happy face for 15 turns in all cities
2.Capital loses 1 happy faces AND 1 free scientist
3.pay gold (100 base) AND Capital loses 2 happy faces AND Capital gains Academy

another reason to keep :gold: in the bank, although i don't often run theocracy.

barbarians
Spoiler :
many players complain about barbarian uprisings, saying that they come too soon and ruin 90% of their games. i think that some of these players must be overstating the barbarian's effectiveness. they have the worst tactics of any ai and generally spawn about 4 units. of these five uprisings at 20% chance each, i'd say that there probably is an 85% chance of barbarians appearing in any game. depending on what maps you play and other settings, there is a likelihood that the uprising occurs on another continent and sets back another player.

i think that using early bulbs is part of what causes early barbarian problems. however of these five events, only the huns should end 90% of your games, if any. study the prereqs and you can easily defeat all other uprisings.

so,
Event99
The Huns
Prereq: One player knows HORSEBACK_RIDING AND one player knows IRON_WORKING
Active/Weight: 20/200
Result:
1.4 Barbarian Horse Archers (Standard size Map) spawn

to defeat the huns: the most devastating of the barbarian uprisings. you might just want to start whipping units if you see this message pop, though with access to spears you are probably going to be okay. i like to get HBR early in many of my games, so i make sure that i have enough units in case it does happen.

Event100
The Vandals
Prereq: One player knows METAL_CASTING AND one player knows IRON_WORKING
Result:
1.4 Barbarian Swordsmen (Standard size Map) spawn

to defeat the vandals: by the time someone has researched metal casting, you should hopefully have the hard counter to swords, the axe. whip axes as soon as you see the vandals appear on your borders.

Event101
The Goths
Prereq: One player knows MATHEMATICS AND one player knows IRON_WORKING
Result:
1.4 Barbarian Axemen (Standard size map) spawn

to defeat the goths: because the ai tends to prioritize math early, so might the goths early appear. however, axemen have several good counters: chariots are their hard counter; archers within cities or on defensive terrain will mostly win, and shock axes are another option. whip units as soon as the goths appear on your borders.

Event102
The Philistines
Prereq: One player knows MONOTHEISM AND one player knows BRONZE_WORKING
Result:
1.4 Barbarian Spearmen (Standard size map) spawn

to defeat the philistines: here you have several options, and monotheism isn't a super-early tech.

Event103
The Vedic Aryans
Prereq: One player knows POLYTHEISM AND one player knows ARCHERY
Result:
1.4 Barbarian Archers (Standard size Map) spawn

to defeat the aryans: they can be a pain if you get super unlucky and they pop ultra early. it is a good reason why you should build a few warriors or other units before starting in on workers and settlers. but because warriors get city defense, you can usually hole up with 3 defenders and not be destroyed. all random events have a 20 turn grace period.
Phil725: I've never heard of someone being wiped out by HA's, by then the whip and any kind of reasonable defense will save you. If anything, HA's can hit at an inopportune time, and maybe raze a poorly defended city or two that you just settled. The Vedic Aryans are the ones that is basically a game over. The problem is that the event can come so early that it is literally unstoppable. On monarch+, everyone starts with archery, and chances are, some zealot will research poly as their first tech. You could theoretically; settle on a hill, build a warrior first, keep your initial warrior in defending (I believe that is the most possible defense you can have,) and still be wiped out by the Vedic Aryans ... If you play a game normally, there is no way to stop them if they attack soon enough.

The AI will also often get killed by the Aryans, although it isn't guaranteed since they have archers. In a recent game I played, this led to a 30+ city Darius. If this event had, say, BW as a prerequisite, I doubt anyone would have a problem with barb uprisings.

updated to 3.17 to include Solver's events.

good
Spoiler :
these are not spectacular events, and the prereqs are so easily satisfied that there is no way to get a lock on these events. cool when they happen.

Event3
Happy Hunting
Prereq: Tundra Forest in your control AND ARCHERY
Obsolete: STEAM_POWER or STEEL or SCIENTIFIC_METHOD or ARTILLERY
Active/Weight: 90/500
Result:
1.you get +8 food in the city's food storage

Event4
Motherload
Prereq: Goldmine with either road OR railroad in your control AND either WRITING or MONOTHEISM or PRIESTHOOD or IRON_WORKING
Result:
1.you get 20 – 40 gold

Event8:
Inspired Mission
Prereq: City with 2 religions 1 of them your state religion
Active/Weight: 75/200
Result:
1.State religion spreads to 4 own cities (with 1 or no other religions)
2.you pay 10 gold AND State religion spreads to 4 own and 1 foreign cities (with 1 or no other religions)
3.you pay 25 gold AND State religion spreads to 4 own and 4 foreign cities (with 1 or no other religions)

Event9:
Hymns and Sculptures
Prereq: City with 1 cathedral (any religion) AND 10 cathedrals built globally
Result:
1.Free Great Artist emerges in chosen city

Event11:
Famine
Prereq: None
Result:
1.Nothing
2.your city loses 50% of food storage AND you gain +1 Attitude with one AI
3.you pay 10 gold AND your city loses 100% of food storage AND you gain +3 Attitude with one AI

Event14:
Airliner Crash
Prereq: Share borders with other player AND other player has FLIGHT
Active/Weight: 70/300
Result:
1.+1 Attitude with other AI
2.+1000 Espionage points (with the other AI?)
3.+15-35% of research costs for FLIGHT AND -2 Attitude with other AI

Event20:
Marathon
Prereq: You at war with other Player, other player makes first attack on your plot
Active/Weight: 100/800
Result:
1.Free Golden Age

Event22
Joyous Wedding
Prereq: You and neighboring AI have the same State Religion
Result:
1.Nothing
2.You pay 15 gold AND gain +1 Attitude with neighboring AI
3.You pay 60 gold AND gain +3 Attitude with neighboring AI

Event27
Baby Boom
Prereq: You signed a Peace Treaty
Result:
1.All cities gain 10 food in storage

Event28
Bard's Tale
Prereq: MUSIC
Result:
1.City gains 100 culture points
2.you pay 25 gold AND city gains 450 culture points
3.IF you have RADIO you pay 10*number of cities in gold and all cities gain 250 culture points

Event38
Parrots
Prereq: Own 1 Jungle tile AND ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY
Active/Weight: 85/50
Result:
1.the tile gains +1 commerce

Event39
Jade
Prereq: own tile with mine AND Iron AND road or railroad
Result:
1.tile gains +2 commerce

Event40
Black Pearls
Prereq: own tile clams AND fishing boat
Active/Weight: 70/50
Result:
1.tile gains +1 commerce

Event41
Saltpeter
Prereq: own 4 forest hill tiles AND GUNPOWDER
Active/Weight: 90/20
Result:
1.tiles gain +1 commerce

Event44
Truffles
Prereq: own grass tile
Active/Weight: 70/20
Result:
1.tile gains +1 food AND +1 commerce

Event45
Sea Turtles
Prereq: own coastal tile AND CALENDAR
Active/Weight: 70/20
Result:
1.tile gains +1 food

Event46
Tin
Prereq: own mined hill AND BRONZE_WORKING
Result:
1.tile gains +2 production

Event47
Prairie Dogs
Prereq: own plains tile AND ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY
Active/Weight: 70/50
Result:
1.tile gains +1 commerce

Event49
Appleseed
Prereq: own plains tile AND CIVIL_SERVICE
Active/Weight: 75/50
Result:
1.Tile gains forest AND +1 food

Event51
Breakthrough
Active/Weight: 80/50
Result:
1.+10% remaining Tech cost towards current tech

Event53
Running Bulls
Prereq: Pastured Cows AND road OR railroad AND ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY and FEUDALISM
Active/Weight: 70/200
Result:
1.City gains 100 culture
2.pay 35 gold AND city gains 300 culture

Event56
Patron of Knowledge
Prereq: Library
Result:
1.+10% remaining tech cost towards current tech
2.pay gold (10% of current tech cost) AND gain +1 research in the city's library

Event57
Master Smith
Prereq: Forge
Result:
1.+1 production for the city's forge

Event58
Rural Farmers
Prereq: Grocer
Result:
1.+1 food for the city's forge

Event59
Money Changers
Prereq: Market
Active/Weight: 75/100
Result:
1.+1 gold for the city's market

Event63
Motor Oil
Prereq: Oil with Well OR Offshore Platform under your control
Result:
1.you get 50 gold
2.you pay 50 gold AND gain 15 free unit support

Event68
Subway
Prereq: 1 Public Transport AND minimum 25 population in city
Active/Weight: 80/400 (* number of Public Transport buildings)
Result:
1.city's Public Transportation gains +5 commerce

Event69
Gold Rush
Prereq: mine AND maximum 5 population in city AND industrial era
Active/Weight: 90/500
Result:
1.city gains +1 population
2.pay 20 gold AND city gains +3 population

Event71
Solo Flight
Prereq: minimum 8 landmasses (standard size map) AND FLIGHT
Active/Weight: 90/100
Result:
1.+1 Attitude with all AIs you have met

Event72
Antelope
Prereq: HUNTING AND forest tile with NO road NO railroad AND NO improvement AND no Deer resource AND 4 or less happy resources AND tile can have deer resource
Active/Weight: 55/200
Result:
1.tile gains Deer resource
2.pay 10 gold AND tile gains Deer resource AND road AND camp

Event73
Whale Of A Thing
Prereq: SAILING AND Ocean tile AND 4 or less happy resources AND tile can have whale resource
Result:
1.Tile gains whale resource

Event74
Hi Yo Silver
Prereq: MINING AND Hill with NO forest NO jungle NO road NO railroad AND NO improvement AND 4 or less happy resources AND tile can have silver resource
Active/Weight: 35/200
Result:
1.Tile gains silver resource
2.you pay 20 gold AND tile gains silver resource AND mine AND road

Event76
Independent Films
Prereq: MASS_MEDIA AND you do NOT control the Hollywood wonder
Active/Weight: 35/100
Result:
1.you get 1 Movie bonus

Event79
Interstate
Prereq: Universal Suffrage civic AND INDUSTRIALISM or RADIO AND Emancipation civic
Active/Weight: 100/100
Result:
1.all units travel faster on roads (I am not sure what ìRouteChange = -5î does though)

Event80
Earth Day
Prereq: Environmentalism civic AND INDUSTRIALISM or RADIO
Active/Weight: 95/100
Result:
1.All your cities gain +1 happy face for 10 turns
2.you pay 60 gold AND all cities gain +1 happy face AND some other AIs switch to Environmentalism civic

Event81
Freedom Concert
Prereq: Free religion civic AND INDUSTRIALISM or RADIO AND city with 3 or more religions
Active/Weight: 95/100
Result:
1.City gains +1 population AND +1 happy face
2.every religion in that city is spread to another (nearby) city

Event95
Forty Thieves
Prereq: Organized Religion civic AND HORSEBACK_RIDING
Result:
1.chosen tile gains +2 commerce

Event96
Ancient Texts
Prereq: Desert tile with NO Flood plains NO Resource NO road NO railroad AND NO improvement AND STEAM_POWER or STEEL or SCIENTIFIC_METHOD or ARTILLERY
Result:
1.You get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech
2.You pay 200 gold AND gain +1 Attitude with all AIs you have met

Event97
Waters of Life
Prereq: Oasis tile
Obsolete: MEDICINE
Active/Weight: 95/200
Result:
1.Tile gains +1 commerce

Event98
Impact Crater
Prereq: Tile with Jungle or Forest AND PHYSICS AND NO Uranium resource
Result:
1.Nothing
2.You pay 500 gold AND the tile gains Uranium AND road AND mine

Event107
Farm Plows
Prereq: City with Forge AND tile with Iron resource AND mine AND road OR railroad
Result:
1.You gain 30 to 60 gold

Event108
Stained glass
Prereq: City with Cathedral
Result:
1.you gain 40 to 70 gold

Event109
Marble Statues
Prereq: AESTHETICS AND tile with Marble AND quarry AND road OR railroad
Result:
1.you gain 50 to 70 gold

Event110
Crab Cakes
Prereq: City with Grocer AND tile with Crabs resource AND fishing boats
Result:
1.you gain 30 to 70 gold

Event111
Boilers
Prereq: STEEL AND City with Factory
Result:
1.you gain 90 to 140 gold

Event112
Personal Computers
Prereq: COMPUTERS AND City with Factory
Result:
1.you gain 140 to 230 gold

Event113
Fuel Additives
Prereq: ECOLOGY AND City with Public Transportation
Result:
1.you gain 110 to 180 gold

Event114
Hamburger Joint
Prereq: RADIO AND tile with pastured Cows resource AND road or railroad
Result:
1.you gain 240 to 330 gold

Event115
Tea
Prereq: SCIENTIFIC_METHOD AND City with Harbor AND NOT Mercantilism civic
Result:
1.you gain 50 to 100 gold

Event116
Fashion
Prereq: RADIO AND City with Factory AND tile with silk AND plantation AND road OR railroad
Result:
1.you gain 180 to 260 gold

Event117
Thoroughbred
Prereq: City with Stable AND tile with Horse resource AND pasture AND road OR railroad
Result:
1.you gain 30 to 70 gold

Event118
Girls Best Friend
Prereq: City with Forge AND tile with gems resource AND mine AND road OR railroad
Result:
1.you gain 120 to 180 gold

Event119
Banana Split
Prereq: REFRIGERATION AND tile with banana resource AND plantation AND road OR railroad
Result:
1.you gain 160 to 240 gold

Event128
Esteemed Playwright
Prereq: City with theater AND NOT Slavery civic
Result:
1.+1 commerce for city's theater
2.you pay 10 gold AND gain +3 culture for city's theater

Event129
Favorite Son
Prereq: City with colloseum
Result:
1.you gain 20 gold
2.you pay 10 gold AND gain +2 culture for city's colloseum

Event130
Secret Knowledge
Prereq: City with monastery AND GUNPOWDER or EDUCATION or PRINTING_PRESS or NATIONALISM or ASTRONOMY
Result:
1.You get 15% of remaining tech cost for a religious tech
2.you pay 10 gold AND gain +4 culture for city's monastry

Event133
Angel of Mercy
Prereq: City with Hospital
Result:
1.City gains +2 gold for its hospital
2.you pay 100 gold AND city gains +1 happy face for its hospital

Event134
Chilly Flight
Prereq: City with Airport
Result:
1.City gains +2 gold for its airport

Event136
Laboratory
Prereq: City with Laboratory AND Free Speech civic
Result:
1.You get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech

Event138
Heresy
Prereq: Theocracy civic
Result:
1.City gains +1 angry face (like whipped) AND you spread your state religion to 2 own cities
2.you pay 40 gold AND gain 15% of remaining tech cost for a religious tech
3.Nothing

Event141
Crisis in the Senate
Prereq: Representation civic AND NATIONALISM or PRINTING_PRESS or EDUCATION or GUNPOWDER or ASTRONOMY
Active/Weight: 55/100
Result:
1.gain +2 Espionage points for all barracks
2.gain 400 to 600 gold
3.+1 happy face in all cities

Event142
Too Close To Call
Prereq: Universal Suffrage civic AND NATIONALISM or PRINTING_PRESS or EDUCATION or GUNPOWDER or ASTRONOMY
Active/Weight: 60/100
Result:
1.gain +1 gold for all courthouses
2.gain +3 culture for all courthouses

Solver's events:

Event154
Civ Game
Prereq: COMPUTERS
Result:
1.+1 happy face in all your cities
2.all universities get +3 research
3.you receive gold (320 base)

good event.

Event155
Slave Revolt Warning
Prereq: Slavery Civic AND city with at least 4 population
Result:
1.text is displayed warning you of the possibility of a slave revolt while in Slavery civic

disabled?

Event156
Immigrants
Prereq: City with at least 55 culture per turn AND more happy and healthy faces than angry and unhealthy ones AND PRINTING_PRESS
Result:
1.City gains +1 population

good event.

Event158
Great Beast
Prereq: own a plot with camp AND HUNTING and POLYTHEISM and have a State Religion
Obsolete: EDUCATION
Result:
1.+1 food on plot
2.pay gold (15 base) AND gain +1 population in a city
3.+1 happy face for 40 turns in all cities with state religion

good event.

Event162
Spy Discovered
Prereq: INDUSTRIALISM and contact with another player AND at least 4 cities AND Capital
Obsolete: ROBOTICS
Active/Weight: 60/100
Result:
1.gain 400 Espionage points AND mutual +2 Attitude modifier with other player
2.pay gold (300 base) AND gain 1 Great Spy unit
3.declare war on other player AND gain free unit support for 20 units AND +1 happy face for 30 turns AND 1 Tank unit for every 4 cities

good event.

Event164
Better Coal
Prereq: own plot with Coal AND Mine
Result:
1.+4 production from coal plants
2.+2 production AND +1 health from drydocks

good event.

Event171
Pasture Built
Prereq: Own plot with Cow OR Horse OR Sheep OR Pig AND plot has NO Improvement AND NO Road or Railroad AND ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY
Obsolete: CALENDER
Result:
1.Plot gains Pasture AND Road

good event.

bad
Spoiler :
these events are all kind of bad. however, there are no practical ways to defeat most of them. try to keep some :gold: in reserve so that the worst outcomes may be avoided.

Event1
Forest Fire
Prereq: Forest in city fat cross
Result:
1.you pay 10 gold
2.you pay 4 gold and lose 1 forest
3.you pay nothing, lose one forest and gain 1 angry face (lasts as long as whip anger)

Event5
Washed out
Prereq: road OR railroad in your control
Result:
1.you lose one road
2.you pay 20 gold

Event10:
Careless Apprentice
Prereq: City with Forge
Result:
1.you pay 50 gold
2.you pay 10 gold and lose the forge
3.you lose the forge AND gain one angry face (like whipped)

Event15:
Farm Bandits
Prereq: Farmed Wheat OR Rice OR Corn AND Road OR Railroad on that plot AND unit on (near?) this plot
Result:
1.you pay 10 gold may loop to 3
2.you lose 5 food in nearby city AND the unit cannot attack for 2 turns may loop to 3
3.you lose 5 food in nearby city

Event19:
Pestilence1/Pestilence2
Prereq: Tile with pasture/plantation
Active/Weight: [55/100]/[100/100]
Result:
1.Tile improvement is destroyed

Event21
Faux Pas
Result:
1.-1 Attitude with other AI

Event23
Wedding Feud
Prereq: You and neighboring AI have different State Religion
Result:
1.-1 Attitude with neighboring AI
2.you pay 15 gold AND gain -2 Attitude with neighboring AI AND gain +1 happy face for 30 turns in all your cities with the state religion
3.you pay 60 gold AND gain -2 Attitude with neighboring AI AND gain +1 Attitude with AIs with your state religion, neighboring player is asked if he wants to declare war.

Event24
Left at the Altar
Prereq: You share borders with other AI
Result:
1.-1 Attitude with other AI

Event26
Tornado
Prereq: Plains tile with improvement under your control AND WRITING or MONOTHEISM or PRIESTHOOD or IRON_WORKING
Result:
1.Improvement is destroyed

Event31:
Hurricane
Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is coastal AND population is more than 2
Result:
1.one cheap (cost less then 100 hammers) and one expensive building are destroyed
2.city looses 1 population point

Event32
Cyclone
Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is coastal
Result:
1.one cheap (cost less then 100 hammers) and one expensive building are destroyed

Event34
Monsoon
Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is not coastal AND city has jungle nearby
Active/Weight: 85/100
Result:

Event35
Blizzard
Prereq: tundra tile with improvement and road or rail AND WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING
Result:
1.tile improvement and route are destroyed
2.you pay 5 gold

Event37
Dust Bowl
Prereq: Own 4 farmed plains tiles AND CIVIL_SERVICE
Result:
1.pay 40 gold loose 1 farm
2.loose 1 farm chance of looping

Event42
Clunker Coal
Prereq: own tile with mine AND coal AND road or railroad
Active/Weight: 90/50
Result:
1.tile looses 1 production

Event43
Sour Crude
Prereq: own tile with oil AND well or offshore platform
Result:
1.tile looses 1 production

Event50
Mining Accident
Prereq: own mine AND BRONZE_WORKING and THE_WHEEL and MYSTICISM and HUNTING
Result:
1.pay 20 gold
2.pay 5 gold AND loose the mine
3.loose the mine AND gain +1 angry face (like whipping anger)

Event52
Setback
Active/Weight: 65/30
Result:
1.you loose 8 percent of research towards a tech

Event70
Influenza
Prereq: minimum 10 population in a city AND era modern or future AND NOT MEDICINE
Active/Weight: 45/400
Result:
1.pay 100 gold AND city looses 3 population
2.city looses 3 population AND a number of nearby cities loose 2 population

Event92
Cigarette Smoker
Prereq: DRAMA AND city with Theater
Result:
1.you loose 30 gold
2.you loose 10 gold AND the Theater is destroyed
3.the Theater is destroyed AND the city gains +1 angry face (like whipped)

Event104
Holy Ritual
Prereq: City with temple AND tile with Incense AND Plantation AND road OR railroad
Result:
1.You pay 20 gold

Event132
Spoiled Grain
Prereq: City with granary
Result:
1.City looses all stored food
2.you pay 20 gold

Event135
Industrial Fire
Prereq: City with Factory
Result:
1.Factory is destroyed
2.you pay 100 gold

Solver's events:

Event160
Defecting Agent
Prereq: at least 5 Inteligence Agency buildings and contact with another player
Result:
1.lose 300 Espionage points vs. other player
2.pay gold (50 base) AND 50% chance of 3
3.-2 attitude modifier with other player

bad event.

Event161
Jail
Prereq: City with Jail
Result:
1.City loses 1 happy face
2.Pay gold (100 base)

bad event.

Event163
Nuclear Protests
Prereq: Free Speech civic AND at least 10 ICBMs and/or Tactical Nukes
Active/Weight: 75/120
Result:
1.disband all ICBMs and Tactical Nukes AND gain +3 happy faces in all cities
2.lose 2 happy faces in one city
3.pay gold (400 base)

bad event.

Event165
Broken Dam
Prereq: City with Hydro Plant
Result:
1.lose Hydro plant AND +1 angry face (like whipped) AND -1 population in city
2.pay gold (260 base) AND +1 angry face (like whipped) AND -1 population in city
3.pay gold (360 base) AND -1 population in city

bad event.

units
Spoiler :
all of these events are related to unit promotions. however, because of their low probability, it would be unwise to rely on ever receiving any of these. they are very cool when they happen, though. i would consider all of these a good event.

Event60
Bowyer
Prereq: ARCHERY
Active/Weight: 35/50
Result:
1.All your Archery units gain the Combat 1 promotion

Event61
Horeshoe
Prereq: Pastured Horse AND road OR railroad
Active/Weight: 30/50
Result:
1.All your mounted units gain the Flanking I promotion

Event62
Champion
Prereq: NOT at war AND undamaged unit with 3 or more XP AND NOT Leadership promotion
Active/Weight: 30/50
Result:
1.Unit gets Leadership promotion

great promotion, but it's never going to pop. i think that i might have gotten it once.

Event82
Axe Haft
Prereq: BRONZE_WORKING
Active/Weight: 25/200
Result:
1.All Axeman units gain the Shock promotion

Event83
Tower Shield
Prereq: MINING
Result:
1.All Melee units gain the Cover promotion

Event84
Smokeless Powder
Prereq: GUNPOWDER
Obsolete: RIFLING or STEEL or SCIENTIFIC_METHOD
Active/Weight: 40/200
Result:
1.All Musketman units gain the Pinch promotion

Event85
Stronger Fittings
Prereq: MACHINERY
Result:
1.All Crossbowman units gain the Combat 1 promotion

Event86
Firing Pins
Prereq: MILITARY_SCIENCE
Obsolete: STEAM_POWER or SCIENTIFIC_METHOD or ARTILLERY
Result:
1.All Grenadier units gain the Pinch promotion

Event87
Rifled Cannon
Prereq: RIFLING and STEEL
Result:
1.All Cannon units gain the Combat 1 promotion

Event88
Metal Decks
Prereq: FLIGHT and INDUSTRIALISM
Obsolete: COMPOSITES
Result:
1.All Carrier units gain the Drill 3 promotion

Event89
Long Range Fighters
Prereq: FLIGHT
Obsolete: COMPOSITES
Result:
1.All Fighter units gain the Range 1 promotion

Event90
Halberd
Prereq: ENGINEERING
Result:
1.All Pikeman units gain the Shock promotion

Event91
Reinforced Hull
Prereq: METAL_CASTING
Result:
1.All Trireme units gain the Combat 1 promotion

Event144
Friendly Locals
Prereq: damaged unit
Result:
1.unit gains 1 XP

quests
Spoiler :
i have tried to distill the essence of these events from the .xml files so that they make more sense to newer players. note that you must control at least 7 cities to complete many of these quests on a normal sized map. also note that the other players, including the ai, can complete these quests and block you out; if you decide to compete for a quest, go whole-hog. whip or chop every building, unit, etc. that you need as soon as possible, because there is no second-place. note that as of the 3.17 patch, many quests are rendered obsolete by the discovery of astronomy.

Quest1:
Blessed Sea
Prereq: GALLEY or CARAVEL or GALLEON AND State Religion BUDDHISM or CONFUCIANISM or TAOISM AND Minimum number of Landmasses is 2*default number of players for this map size (12 for standard) AND Maximum number of Landmasses you have cities on is 0.5*default number of players for this map size (3 for standard)
Obsolete: INDUSTRIALISM
Active/Weight: 85/300
Aim:
Have cities on 1.5*default number of players for this map size (10 for standard) landmasses while never switching State Religion
Result:
1.convert 20 own cities to your state religion
2.gain a temple in every city size 5 or more
3.get one great prophet unit

you will likely only encounter this quest on an island map. to trigger, you need buddhism, confucianism or taoism- think china- as your state religion and cities on at least 3 land masses. to complete, you need to have cities on 10 land masses. so that's over 10-15 cities that you need to have before industrialization, all on different little islands. point is, it is a very hard quest to complete and the reward is only going to be great if you have built the sistine chapel, university of sankore and the spiral minaret to boost the free temples option. so if you were going to win an islands map anyway, this quest will make it happen slightly sooner.

Quest2:
Holy Mountain
Prereq: State Religion JUDAISM or CHRISTIANITY or ISLAM
Obsolete: INDUSTRIALISM
Aim:
Build 2*default number of players for this world size temples/monasteries (14 for standard), cathedrals count as 4 temples/monasteries to reveal the holy mountain peak
Settle at the holy mountain peak to control it
Result:
1.+1 happy face in all your cities

this can be a pretty good one if the holy mountain falls near your territory. however, it could be on the other side of the world, and the abrahamic religions don't normally spread around as much as buddhism or hinduism. you will need to have around 5-6 cities with monasteries and temples and a cathedral to complete this quest, a possibility if you are gunning for a cultural victory.

Quest3:
Horse Whispering
Prereq: ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY AND Horse resource
Active/Weight: 25/500
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size stables (7 for standard)
Result:
1.you get default number of players for this world size Horse Archers (6 for standard)
2.All mounted units get the Sentry promotion
3.All stables provide +1 food

i've complete this quest and been rather disappointed with the results. stables are not needed in seven cities, ever, and the rewards are lackluster.

Quest4:
Harbormaster
Prereq: COMPASS AND Map has at least 40% water tiles
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size harbors (7 for standard) AND half that number +1 caravels (4 for standard)
Result:
1.All Naval Units gain the Combat 1 promotion
2.All harbors gain +1 gold
3.All Naval Units gain the Navigation 1 promotion

a very powerful quest on island maps. you will need optics and at least 7 coastal cities to complete this quest. however, it will only trigger in a quarter of your games, and only if you have enough water tiles.

Quest5:
Classic Literature
Prereq: WRITING
Active/Weight: 20/500
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size libraries (7 for standard)
Result:
1.+2 research in one (triggering) city's library
2.get one ancient era tech
3.IF you control the Great Library wonder gain +1 scientist specialist for this wonder

this is a low reward, low probability quest. however, it is alright if you control the great library. libraries in 7 cities is usually a priority anyway, so you don't have to go out of your way to build useless buildings, e.g. stables. i might go for this quest with a creative leader, but not otherwise.

Quest6:
Master Blacksmith
Prereq: City with Forge
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size forges (7 for standard) while not loosing the city triggering the quest
Result:
1.1 Copper resource is revealed
2.All Swordsman units gain the Shock promotion
3.IF you have a state religion gain 1 engineer specialist in the triggering city

i completed this quest, and was disappointed with its results. it doesn't occur very frequently, and the cost in :hammers: to erect all of those forges is usually too much for me to bother with. and the first two rewards are pretty useless. if you are going to take this quest, make sure to have a state religion to unlock the settled engineer option.

Quest7:
Best Defense
Prereq: ENGINEERING
Obsolete: RIFLING or RAILROAD or ECONOMICS
Active/Weight: 30/400
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size castles (7 for standard)
Result:
1.All Melee units gain the City Garrison 1 promotion
2.gain +3 Attitude with all AIs you have met
3.IF you control the Great Wall gain +25 Espionage points for the Great Wall

i have triggered, though not completed this quest. the rewards seem pretty good, but castles are castles. what am i going to do with 7 of them? it also means that you must build 7 sets of walls. strangely, the ai, for all of its ineptitude, usually completes this quest rather quickly.

Quest8:
Sports League
Prereq: CONSTRUCTION
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size Colosseums (7 for standard)
Result:
1.+1 happy face for every Colosseum
2.+4 culture for every collosseum
3.IF you control the Statue of Zeus wonder trigger a golden age

i actually really like this quest, even without the statue of zeus. i will divert most of my cities to constructing colosseums as soon as this quest pops, because the colosseums either become decent happy or excellent culture buildings as soon as i complete it. it is great if playing as the aztecs. just make sure to whip those colosseums so that the ai can't beat you too it.

Quest9:
Crusade
Prereq: State religion but you do not control the Holy City
Active/Weight: 50/1000
Aim:
Declare War on the owner of the Holy City, stay in war until you conquer the Holy City
Result:
1.get 0.5*default number of players for this world size+1 conscript units (4 for standard)
2.build the shrine for your state religion
3.spread your state religion to default number of players for this world size cities (7 for standard)

even with its relatively high probability, this quest will not trigger in many games. i don't know why not, but i have never seen it. however, it has a rather good payoff, and capturing a foreign holy city is almost always a good idea. if you have a stack of units that you've been itching to use, the crusades will help you decide when to attack.
dalamb: I just achieved this quest in my Earth 18 (Isabella) game. I was at war with Egypt, who had the Jewish Holy City, and I had the same state religion (along with everybody else in the Old World!) So, you do have to have the same religion. And to my surprise, you must not take the Holy City as your last conquest -- if you destroy the civilization while capturing it, apparently you've ended the war before conquering the holy city!

I declared war, and the event took place many turns later.

Quest10:
Greed
Prereq: BRONZE_WORKING AND lacking either of the following revealed resources: Oil OR Copper OR Iron OR Horse
Obsolete: if GrowthPercent for the current Game Speed number of turns have ellapsed (100 for normal)
Active/Weight: 40/300
Aim:
Declare War on the owner of the resource triggered, stay in war until you conquer the resource
Result:
1.get 0.5*default number of players for this world size+1 units (4 for standard) with the conquered resource as prerequisite

i have triggered this, though never completed it. you have a certain number of turns, 100 on normal speed, to complete this quest, so unless you have an army just sitting around already you will have to hustle to pull this one off. i don't like it, because the resource you have to get is always, for me, deep in enemy territory, or its like an iron resource surround by ice tiles. to field an army, march it hither &yon, send reinforcements, all that business could take more than 100 turns, easily. and and the reward is 4 units, not a great payoff if it causes more than 4 casualties.

Quest11:
War Chariots
Prereq: THE_WHEEL AND State Religion
Obsolete: MONARCHY or LITERATURE or CODE_OF_LAWS or AESTHETICS or MATHEMATICS or ALPHABET or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING or METAL_CASTING
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size +1 Chariots (8 for standard)
Result:
1.All Chariot units gain the Combat 1 promotion
2.Spread your state religion to 5 own cities

i like this quest, although the rewards aren't that great. still, i like fast units, and 8 chariots will provide me with barbarian protection and fog-busting for the rest of the game, so i'll usually go for it,

Quest12:
Elite Swords
Prereq: IRON_WORKING AND State Religion
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size +1 Swordsmen (8 for standard)
Result:
1.All Swordsman units gain the City Raider 1 promotion
2.All Melee units gain the Drill 1 promotion

this is a weird one. if elite swords get first strikes, does that make the samurai the most elite sword unit? anyways, a good event if you ever plan on capturing cities. the city raider option is probably the more useful, just wait to upgrade all of those swordsmen so that they can have CR 2 at level 2. in other words, if you promote them to CR 1, they don't get a boost from completing this quest.

Quest13:
Warships
Prereq: SAILING and METAL_CASTING AND Map has at least 55% water tiles
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size Triremes (7 for standard)
Result:
1.All Trireme units gain the Combat 1 promotion
2.IF you control the Great Lighthouse all harbors gain +2 commerce

good on water maps, i guess. but what do you really need 7 triremes for? the rewards are probably not worth it.

Quest14:
Guns Butter
Prereq: GUNPOWDER
Obsolete: RIFLING or RAILROAD
Active/Weight: 30/200
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size +1 Musketmen (8 for standard)
Result:
1.All Musketman units gain the Pinch promotion
2.IF Vassalage civic gain 400 gold
3.IF you control the Taj Mahal wonder trigger a golden age

i've seen others mention in the boards what a great quest this is to get, although it has eluded me. it certainly does have many good rewards. however, it has a relatively small event window because it obsoletes with rifling, a highly prioritized tech.

Quest15:
Noble Knights
Prereq: GUILDS and HORSEBACK_RIDING
Obsolete: MILITARY_TRADITION or RIFLING or RAILROAD
Active/Weight: 15/200
Aim:
Build default number of players for this world size +1 Knights (8 for standard)
Result:
1.All Knight Units gain the Flanking 1 promotion
2.IF Organized Religion civic AND State Religion: spread your state religion to 5 own cities
3.IF you control the Oracle get a free settled great priest in the Oracle city

a very low probability quest with a rather good payoff. if you control the oracle, you get a great priest, not a stinking priest specialist. plus having around eight knight units is usually a smart move. in the unlikely event that you see this quest, i would definitely attempt it.

Quest16:
Overwhelm
Prereq: FLIGHT and INDUSTRIALISM AND Map has at least 55% water tiles
Obsolete: ROBOTICS
Aim:
Build 4 destroyers, 2 battleships, 3 carriers and 9 fighters
Result:
1.All DESTROYER, BATTLESHIP, CARRIER, FIGHTER and JET_FIGHTER units gain the Combat 1 promotion
2.All harbors gain +5 commerce
3.IF the Manhattan Project has been build pass the Nuke Ban resolution

i have never seen this, as in my games there is usually a relatively small amount of time between flight and robotics in my tech path- i go for robotics early and flight late. but if you get this quest and are planning a transoceanic invasion then they dovetail nicely.

Quest17:
Corporate Expansion
Prereq: own a corporate HQ
Aim:
spread the corporation to default number of players for this world size +1 cities (that did not have it when the quest was triggered) (8 for standard)
Result:
1.+10 gold for the corporate HQ

i completed this quest once; the reward sucked. by the time it triggered, i had already spread sid's sushi and mining inc. to most of my cities. so the only places left to expand into were foreign markets. thus, it cost more in start up fees and gave my enemies access to one of the the, arguably, two strongest corporations in the game. i now skip this quest, but if you have 8 of your own cities that need a corps, then maybe it's not a terrible idea. but i hate it.

Quest18
Hostile Takeover
Prereq: own a corporate HQ and do not control at least 1 instance of all resources the corporation uses
Aim:
own all resource types the corporation uses
Result:
1.+20 gold for the corporate HQ

i rarely see this, despite its second highest active weight, probably because i don't go in for corporations a lot of the time. if you already are running a corps anyway, you might as well try to control as many resources as you can. it's difficult, but you've got nothing to lose.

civ-specific events and disabled events
Spoiler :
these are civ-specific events, just to add a little flavor to your games. there are also religion-specific events listed, although they have all been disabled.

Event169
Toxcatl
Prereq: Player is Aztec AND City with Sacrificial Altar AND at least 1 unit
Obsolete: EDUCATION
Result:
1.+2 angry faces (like whipped)
2.pay gold (65 base) AND unit is immobile for 3 turns

bad event. slightly nerfs the power of the sacrificial altar.

Event170
Dissident Priest
Prereq: Player is Egyptian AND City does NOT have the state religion AND is NOT the Capital AND does NOT have the Forbidden Palace NOR Versailles AND has at least 30 culture per turn
Obsolete: PRINTING_PRESS
Result:
1.+1 angry face (like whipped) in city AND 2 turns of revolt
2.+1 angry face (like whipped) in all cities
3.pay gold (200 base) AND all libraries gain +2 research AND +2 culture

if you play egypt often, and some people do, this event is for you. it is active during 90% of egyptian games, however it does have some strange prereqs. first of all, you need to keep enough :gold: in the bank, or else the outcome is rather detrimental. second, there aren't any easy ways to get 30 :culture: per turn in a city without any religion, especially as free speech is usually researched about the same time as printing press. probably, you will need to force your wonder city to have a non-state religion and maybe the hermitage.

Event172
Rogue Station
Prereq: City with Broadcast Tower AND ASSEMBLY_LINE AND Player is Russian AND State Property civic AND contact with another player
Result:
1.lose 150 Espionage points with other player AND lose Broadcast Tower
2.+1 angry face (like whipped) in city
3.+2 angry faces (like whipped) AND factories gain +2 production in all cities

an interesting and highly-active event when going toe-to-toe with the ruskies.

Event173
Anti-Monarchists
Prereq: Player is French AND Hereditary Rule civic
Result:
1.+3 happy faces from Palace
2.+2 gold from all cathedrals

good event.

Event174
Impeachment
Prereq: Player is American AND CONSTITUTION AND has a capital
Result:
1.+6 Angry faces (like whipped) AND +1 happy face for 10 turns in all cities (sic!)
2.Courthouse in Capital gains +2 production AND city has 2 turns of revolt

bad event.

Event166
Rabbi
Prereq: City with Judaism AND Jewish Monastery AND PAPER
Obsolete: MASS_MEDIA
Result:
1.Convert 5 own and 3 foreign cities to Judaism
2.pay gold (100 base) AND get 1 free scientist in city
3.+8 culture AND +5 gold from Jewish monastery in that city

disabled, probably because it required a specific religion.

Event167
Golden Buddha
Prereq: City with Buddhism AND Forge AND own plot with Gold AND Mine AND Road
Obsolete: STEAM_POWER
Result:
1.gain gold (180 to 200)
2.city's forge gains +6 culture
3.pay gold (70 base) AND gain 350 culture in all cities

disabled.

Event168
Preaching Researcher
Prereq: City with Christianity AND Christian Monastery AND University
Result:
1.City's Christian monastery gains +2 culture
2.pay gold (120 base) AND City's Christian Monastery gains +2 culture AND +4 research

disabled.

Spoiler :
re: Volcano

Well, destroying leaves city ruins which are good:). So some cotaging near peack is not that bad, IMO. It can be argued that cottaging unused plains near mountain while no other cottages/villages... near it might be beneficial in long run.

I actually done this few times.

Event77
Ancient Olympics
Prereq: POLYTHEISM AND State Religion is NOT Judaism OR Christianity OR Islam
Active/Weight: 75/400
Result:
1.Nothing
2.pay 20 gold AND gain +1 attitude with all neighboring AIs

z0wb13,

Do you know how this is affected by the "Choose Religion" custom game option?

Like the idea, random events are just as important as espionage in so far as getting the ball rolling.

Which tech path allows for the most random events to occur, or adds to upping the odds.
(Sailing, animal Husbandry are two i can think of)

and too- "the best example of why you should keep at least 10 gold on hand at all times"
..i say always have 100 you don't touch. (for more choice)

Why is this in this forum?

Why is this in this forum?

Are you trying to suggest it shouldn't be here?

IMO it's definitely worthy of being called a discussion on strategy, as some random events are good enough to alter your strategy.

Or maybe you're implying that random events should not be part of any strategy. Should combat and GP births be part of strategy, in that case?

@z0wb13,
Thanks for making this thread. I'll have a closer look when I have more time, but I think the way you have categorised the random events is exactly what I was looking for. :goodjob:.

I ment shouldn't it be in the strategy article section...

Actually, @z0wb13, just one thing...

The active number (eg. 45%) means the event is active or possible in 45% of games. It does not mean the event will happen or occur in 45% of games. This would be obvious especially if your games lasted an average of only ten turns.

The distinction is very important, so I thought I'd mention it.

I ment shouldn't it be in the strategy article section...

Oh, maybe.

I keep ori's legendary post on a bookmark, but I like the way z0w is sorting them here.

Actually, @z0wb13, just one thing...

The active number (eg. 45%) means the event is active or possible in 45% of games. It does not mean the event will happen or occur in 45% of games. This would be obvious especially if your games lasted an average of only ten turns.

The distinction is very important, so I thought I'd mention it.

Oh, maybe.

i understand. the events in the gambit spoiler are mostly high active score events.

so, like the federal reserve has a 90% active score; it is going to appear in 90% of my games. but that's like almost every single game that i play. i understand that there is a 10% chance difference between always and 90%.

but in the case of the federal reserve: many players run free market , most research corporations at some point in their game, however, very few players keep 1000 :gold: on hand for many turns. these players have a 0% chance of triggering this event in any game that they play because they don't meet a rather strange prereq.

so but then you say, well corporations is an industrial era tech, you only get a 6% chance of this popping, and that chance is spread out between all of the other active events, so the chance that it will trigger is like less than .01%. and that's true on any single turn. but the game lasts hundreds of turns. i like to think about the odds of happening like the way a :nuke: half-life works. if you wait for a certain amount of turns, and that all depends on the weight, eventually there will come a point where you can say something like: well if, i keep 1000 :gold: in the bank for around 25 turns, there is a 50% chance that it will trigger the federal reserve. my math is just totally pulled from thin air here, i just wanted some numbers to illustrate my point.

so there is definitely a few things that i haven't worked out yet, like what the average total weight is in any given game. some of the better math kids could help me with this. i think that you might need to know statistical regression. but i think that the most important number is going to be active score; if something has a low probability of being in the game at all, you could hope to trigger some event over many games and never have it happen.

so like, the experienced captain event provides a unique opportunity to pay for a military academy and it has a 95% chance of being active. i want that event to trigger, so i fulfill the requirements- a drydock and 7xp naval unit in target city- and all i have to do is wait a certain number of turns and it will very likely happen. but there is more too it than that, because you also say that after 10 turns, there is a 20% chance that experienced captain will trigger, after 20 turns, there is a 50% chance it will trigger, and after 30 turns there's something like a 75% chance to get it. after a certain number of turns it becomes statistically impossible that the even won't trigger if it is in that particular game at all, so say you fish for 50 turns or something and don't get it, you can know to stop fishing. again, i need help with my math.

it's like anything else that gives you a bonus when you are the first to acquire it. think of liberalism or physics or every single wonder that you build. so, instead of spending :hammers: to create an edge over your opponents, you spend turns meeting a few prereqs. all i did was take ori's list and slice it up for the convenience of newer players.

these players have a 0% chance of triggering this event in any game that they play because they don't meet a rather strange prereq.
OK, this is going to sound crazy, but I actually agree with Attacko on this. I think its worth it to make sure to qualify for as many positive events as you can on purpose. The Fed. Reserve event is just one example of it, but troy has mentioned others in his ramblings. Actually, the concept of Random Events is what drives half of Attackos chaos concept. The concept is that its more likely that stuff WILL happen. So up the odds to add as much chaos (events) as possible.

so like, the experienced captain event provides a unique opportunity to pay for a military academy and it has a 95% chance of being active. i want that event to trigger, so i fulfill the requirements- a drydock and 7xp naval unit in target city- and all i have to do is wait a certain number of turns and it will very likely happen. but there is more too it than that, because you also say that after 10 turns, there is a 20% chance that experienced captain will trigger, after 20 turns, there is a 50% chance it will trigger, and after 30 turns there's something like a 75% chance to get it. after a certain number of turns it becomes statistically impossible that the even won't trigger if it is in that particular game at all, so say you fish for 50 turns or something and don't get it, you can know to stop fishing. again, i need help with my math.

With all respect, I don't really agree with the way you are describing things. Firstly, "statistically impossible" is a phrase that doesn't sit well with me. If something has 0.1% chance of not happening (i.e. 99.9% chance of happening) you can still see it, and this is clear when we hear people whine about how they just lost a 99.9% battle unfairly.

I can appreciate that even if an event has, say 1% chance of happening each turn it becomes more and more likely to happen the more turns there are in the game, but one has to be very careful here not to fall for the gambler's fallacy. In other words, be careful not to assume that just because you have not seen an event in the previous turns that it is more likely to appear in upcoming turns. A consequence of this is that as you progress through a game, an event that you might be hoping to see actually becomes less and less likely to appear rather than more likely.

An event I've found to appear in some games several times but never in other games is the discovery of a resource on a mined hill. This event is actually independent of the random events code as far as I know, but it works in a similar way. The chance of it occuring in game increases if the game is longer or more mines are worked during the game. But it is not a given and you certainly cannot expect to see it necessarily in every game, even if it is "statistically" probable (maybe 75% chance).

With the random evenets, the probability of an event happening will depend on its weight and the sum of the weigts of the other active events which have their prereqs met. Even an event that is active in 95% of games could be extremely unlikely if there are many other high-weight events eligible for most of the game. My understanding of the way random events are picked is that first the game somehow decides a random event is going to occur. This part of the process is the part I'm unsure about, in terms of how it works. But once a random event is going to happen, that's when the weights come into it.

So even if an event has a huge weight relative to other events, and is very likely to occur, it won't happen almost every turn - it will happen almost every turn where an event is about to occur. But it's quite possible that they programmed random events to happen more often when there are more events eligible. In other words, I'm guessing the probability of an event occuring is mainly dependent on the sum of the weights of the eligible active events. This information is probably in ori's article.

OK, this is going to sound crazy, but I actually agree with Attacko on this. I think its worth it to make sure to qualify for as many positive events as you can on purpose. The Fed. Reserve event is just one example of it, but troy has mentioned others in his ramblings. Actually, the concept of Random Events is what drives half of Attackos chaos concept. The concept is that its more likely that stuff WILL happen. So up the odds to add as much chaos (events) as possible.

I agree. Attempting to be eligible for as many positive events as possible, and as few negative events as possible, is the main thing to take away from this discussion. Obviously one should not care too much about positive events that have little gain or are near 0% chance, or bad events that are almost always eligible. But several events appear to be worthy enough to adapt into one's strategy in the hope of giving one greater odds of getting a positive event. The Federal Reserve event was the first one I ever thought about doing this with, because I figured the reduction in inflation was a huge advantage for late-game corporation abuse. But it's now clear there are many events like this, including the Experienced Captain one, where it is not difficult to fulfill the prereqs, and doing so makes other events (both good and bad) less likely to occur. I guess one could describe it as stacking the cards in one's favour.

thanks for your comments, PieceOfMind.
PieceOfMind: With all respect, I don't really agree with the way you are describing things. Firstly, "statistically impossible" is a phrase that doesn't sit well with me. If something has 0.1% chance of not happening (i.e. 99.9% chance of happening) you can still see it, and this is clear when we hear people whine about how they just lost a 99.9% battle unfairly.
true, .1% is a statistically significant chance. i wouldn't take .1% and say that it is impossible, but that is only on a single turn. if you cheated and reloaded and waited one turn to make that attack, all other things being equal you would, statistically certainly, win that battle. so i know that my argument is kind of convoluted, but try out these two math problems. they are basically the same question, but:

1+1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16...=?

and

4/1-4/3+4/5-4/7+4/9-4/11+4/13...=?
Spoiler :
in the first example, you might think that, well, because the pieces keep getting smaller, they will never reach 2 and the answer should be 1.999..., but you would be wrong. as the number of iterations goes to infinity, the value is exactly 2 and not close to 2 or anything else.

the next example is basically going to tell you the same thing, but i wanted to include it because π is such a weird number. and i don't mean to say that the second problem is equal to 3.14 or 22/7 or any other approximation of π, it is actually equal to π if you did it infinity number of times.
PieceOfMind: I can appreciate that even if an event has, say 1% chance of happening each turn it becomes more and more likely to happen the more turns there are in the game, but one has to be very careful here not to fall for the gambler's fallacy. In other words, be careful not to assume that just because you have not seen an event in the previous turns that it is more likely to appear in upcoming turns. A consequence of this is that as you progress through a game, an event that you might be hoping to see actually becomes less and less likely to appear rather than more likely.
where am i going with this? the gambler's fallacy is something like: if you flip a coin 100 times, and it comes up heads 75 times, there is a 75% chance that on the 101st coin-flip it will land on heads. so but i'm not saying that, e.g., on turn 10 of fishing for an event you have a 15% chance of triggering it, but then on the next turn you have a 16% chance.

what i'm saying is that if you fish for 20 turns, you might get a 50% of triggering an event any of those turns. it is not more or less likely that it will occur on the first or last turn. if you then waited 40 turns, for example, your odds would have increased to 75%, supposing that an event is in your game at all. but there is no more likelihood that the event will trigger on the first, middle or last turn than any other turn.

i think that maybe i have fallen for something like the inverse gambler's fallacy by believing that any event is any game at all. but, if you know about what your odds and such are, you can figure that if a event doesn't occur after a certain number of turns that it isn't in your game. the gambler's certainty: vegas wasn't built on winners.
PieceOfMind: With the random evenets, the probability of an event happening will depend on its weight and the sum of the weigts of the other active events which have their prereqs met. Even an event that is active in 95% of games could be extremely unlikely if there are many other high-weight events eligible for most of the game. My understanding of the way random events are picked is that first the game somehow decides a random event is going to occur. This part of the process is the part I'm unsure about, in terms of how it works. But once a random event is going to happen, that's when the weights come into it.
i think that i can clear some of this up, although this is all just speculation based on speculations from the boards.

active: at the start of the game, the computer rolls a 100-sided die for each event. if the die comes up more than an event's active value, then the event is excluded from that particular game.

weight: this works kind of like gpp. say it's time for a gpp to pop, and the chances are like 95% scientist and 5% artist. i don't know how, but the computer decides to give you a great artist. whatever mechanism the computer used to decide this, though, is very likely the same as the one that it uses when picking which events to trigger. so let's say that you know, although you couldn't, that a random event was going to trigger on some turn. the computer would take the weights of all the events that have met their prereqs on that turn, throw them into a hat, and pick one. the weights have about as much influence as they do when choosing great people.

here is an actual example of what i'm talking about:
ShannonCT: But let's say that you know for sure that Man Named Jed is a possible event (no way to know this until it happens), that you park your scout on oil, and that the sum of the iWeights for the other eligible events is 3000. When a random event occurs, the chance of it being Man Named Jed is 5/8. In the classical era, there is a 2% chance of a random event occuring each turn. So there would be a 1.25% chance of Man Named Jed occuring each turn. We want to know what value of t makes (1 - .0125)^t < 0.5. The answer is 56.

this is telling you that after 56 turns, there is a 99.5% chance of this event triggering during one of those turns, if it is in the game at all. this particular event is not really a practical example, but it is illustrative.

on every single game turn, there is a chance of triggering any active random event. the chances increase with the advance of ages, like this:

ancient- 1%
classical- 2%
medieval- 4%
renaissance- 4%
industrial- 6%
modern- 8%
future- 10%

Like the idea, random events are just as important as espionage in so far as getting the ball rolling.

Which tech path allows for the most random events to occur, or adds to upping the odds.
(Sailing, animal Husbandry are two i can think of)

and too- "the best example of why you should keep at least 10 gold on hand at all times"
..i say always have 100 you don't touch. (for more choice)

also: polytheism, calendar, radio, being buddhist and reaching the industrial era. NOT researching astronomy.

Just to comment on a few events:

Event139
Partisans
Prereq: Emancipation civic AND one of your cities was razed
Active/Weight: 35/0
Result:
1.a number of drafted units (equal to city's culture level -1) spawn at the city site
2.half that number of drafted units spawn in the capital

this one is weird because it has a zero weight, but i'm pretty sure that i've seen it happen. i don't seem to recall this event happening more than twice in a single game. but note that the ai can get this event, making city razing more hazardous. the computer usually takes the first option just to harass you.

I believe that this event is glitched (coded wrong?) In that it was intended to occur in 35% of razed cities in every game. However, it seems to occur in 100% of razed cities in 35% of games. When this event is active, it becomes impossible to raze more than a few cities because of the sheer amount of units that build up.

Regarding barb uprisings; I've never heard of someone being wiped out by HA's, by then the whip and any kind of reasonable defense will save you. If anything, HA's can hit at an inopportune time, and maybe raze a poorly defended city or two that you just settled. The Vedic Aryans are the ones that is basically a game over. The problem is that the event can come so early that it is literally unstoppable. On monarch+, everyone starts with archery, and chances are, some zealot will research poly as their first tech. You could theoretically; settle on a hill, build a warrior first, keep your initial warrior in defending (I believe that is the most possible defense you can have,) and still be wiped out by the Vedic Aryans if they attack on turn 12 or whatever. If you play a game normally, there is no way to stop them if they attack soon enough.

The AI will also often get killed by the Aryans, although it isn't guaranteed since they have archers. In a recent game I played, this led to a 30+ city Darius. If this event had, say, BW as a prerequisite, I doubt anyone would have a problem with barb uprisings.

One thing that you skipped in your speech in OP ( and below as well ) is that events scale badly with the number of civs: my favourite example is the plane crash. In a standart map it will happen often but as long as you get more civilizations in game ( by using a bigger map, for example ) the event prereqs almost force that the event will happen much more often..... and with a event that gives a option to gain +1 in diplo, that is game-unbalancing if you push it to the extreme.....

So, rule of thumb: events that can be triggered by a civilization having X tech will happen much more often when the number of civs in game goes up, especially in games with AI having lots of vassals ( as those huge maps tend to be.... ). That takes a lot of the "reserve event" power that the player has in a game with 4 or 5 alive civs.......

Quest9:
Crusade
Prereq: State religion but you do not control the Holy City
Active/Weight: 50/1000
Aim:
Declare War on the owner of the Holy City, stay in war until you conquer the Holy City
Result:
1.get 0.5*default number of players for this world size+1 conscript units (4 for standard)
2.build the shrine for your state religion
3.spread your state religion to default number of players for this world size cities (7 for standard)

even with its relatively high probability, this quest will not trigger in many games. i don't know why not, but i have never seen it. however, it has a rather good payoff, and capturing a foreign holy city is almost always a good idea. if you have a stack of units that you've been itching to use, the crusades will help you decide when to attack.

Wouldn't this also have the requirements that the owner of the holy city has to have a different state religion? That would make more sense historically, and also explain why you have never seen it in your games.

Top Bottom