Wrath of the AI

After the war, it was clear that the Intelligent Empire hadn't been making a whole lot of progress in recent centuries. The Despot, being a mathematical sort, commisioned a report on the long-term statistical history of the empire. So a scholar dug up the old records, put the statistics together, drew a few graphs, and came up with a rather alarming picture.

Land Area

The land area of the empire, on the whole, actually increased at more or less a linear rate. Nevertheless, there were two key periods, corresponding to when the Commercial invaded the Empire and when the Talented started overpowering the Empire, in which the land area decreased. It was concluded that the early wars of the millenium were profitable, but the later ones were not, the land gains there being primarily due to cultural expansion.

Population

Although population more than doubled this millenium, the growth pattern is somewhat disturbing. It looks more logarithmic than anything - certainly not what we want long term! Some of this can be attributed to the war, having to hurry a few units, and losing a couple cities. But as much, the report concludes, this pattern is due to cities reaching the highest population they can support without further development. Thus the plan to focus on development will be crucial in fixing this trend.

GNP

The GNP graph also seems to be hitting a cieling. The growth certainly isn't bad for despotism, but it seems that as the population leveled off, so did the GNP - as may well be expected with the relatively poor infrastructure of the Empire. The precipitous drop at the end is cause for concern, but hopefully, is a mere aberration.

Industry

Unfortunately, the drop in industry cannot be attributed to mere aberration. The high point of our industry clearly was in the 400's AD, and has been in slow decline since then. This may be due to switching citizens to more fertile grounds as they are irrigated to keep up population growth, and certainly is due in part to war and our enemies' pillaging. But it cannot be allowed to continue!

Civilization Rank

This is perhaps the most telling graph. Our industry has been steadily falling farther behind the world's the whole millenium - no surprise given its graph. Our GNP rank improved steadily until about 500 AD, when the actual GNP began to level off. Land area steadily improved with our early victories against the Sailors, but has since been fairly steady. The population rank has traditionally been our best point, but with the logarithmic action of our population of late, has fallen off a bit.

The Empire actually looked healthiest around 300 AD according to this graph, although the GNP kept getting better for a couple centuries after that. Were we to consider utilization of land as a measure of development, we would definitely be falling with our increasing or steady land rank and falling other ranks. There is a lot of room for improvement.

And finally...

Corruption

There really hasn't been an effort to combat corruption with Courthouses due to the focus on war matériel, but it has nevertheless not spiraled out of control. It steadily increased during our heydays of expansion, but has been steady and perhaps even decreasing since then. Certainly it could be better, but one can hardly fault our Despot for these results.

------------------

The Despot was not, of course, pleased with the results, but he had known not to expect a glowing report. Now that there was peace he could change the negative trends and make a name for himself in history - and he could rely on the fairly good GNP rank as a counterclaim to the silly notion that Despotism wasn't good for the economy. Those quirky nobles who thought a feudal council was coming had such bizarre notions - he was confident that they'd see that the historical Despotism had done well when not bogged down in wars, and would realize that Despotism was the way forward. Nah, there couldn't possibly be a switch over to Feudalism in a few decades...

The southern front, however, still looks a bit up. I found Theryman's Plains southwest of the old location of Coins, and its founding allows me to launch a thorough attack on the Commercial units in the area.

:lol::lol:

I can only imagine why this honor was bestowed upon me! I am not exactly a veteran of the forums like Thunderfall!:goodjob:

Just don't let it get razed.:mischief:

Could you list all the names in your mod? It seems you call one civilization "Frisky" and advisor calls it "The Settlers" and graphs call it "Friskiness" and that is quite confusing.

Could you list all the names in your mod? It seems you call one civilization "Frisky" and advisor calls it "The Settlers" and graphs call it "Friskiness" and that is quite confusing.

I'm glad you said something because I thought it was just me who found myself utterly confused on a regular basis :crazyeye:

The Director of Intelligent Intelligence was in a bind. The current State of The World Report did not paint a glowing picture of how his people were faring in the world. Progress had been slower than hoped for, some of the fighters hadn't fought and he knew, just knew, that when he presented this report to the Merciful Quintillus he would get his head handed to him on a platter. Or maybe his Assistant Director would get his head; he wasn't sure.

If the big bad news could kill him, maybe some small bad news could save him. So he sat down at his desk and made changes to the report. Not in the details or the underlying data; that would stay the same. But if things were mislabeled and a bit confusing, he might survive. Merciful Quintillus would surely chew him out for such sloppiness, but with luck his wrath would be spent on that, along with the rather colorful description of his ancestry and lack of parentage that always came with a dressing down, and his neck would be spared.

He called in his secretary. 'I've made some changes to the report. They are in red. It will have to be redone.' She made no comment, just picked up the stack of documents and got started on this latest task.

In the quiet, he congratulated himself on his skill in reading his boss. Then he made out his last will and testament.

If the big bad news could kill him, maybe some small bad news could save him. So he sat down at his desk and made changes to the report. Not in the details or the underlying data; that would stay the same. But if things were mislabeled and a bit confusing, he might survive. Merciful Quintillus would surely chew him out for such sloppiness, but with luck his wrath would be spent on that, along with the rather colorful description of his ancestry and lack of parentage that always came with a dressing down, and his neck would be spared.

He called in his secretary. 'I've made some changes to the report. They are in red. It will have to be redone.' She made no comment, just picked up the stack of documents and got started on this latest task.

In the quiet, he congratulated himself on his skill in reading his boss. Then he made out his last will and testament.

:lol: @ Bob. Isn't that how the real government functions? :p

Yep. That's one of the things that wasn't quite 100% finished at the beginning of the scenario, because I wasn't sure which names I preferred. We have:

*Formal name | What they are referred to as | example of technically correct usage, corresponding to Adjective with Noun in Civ3ConquestsEdit (which I do not always use)

*A Barbarian Chiefdom, known as the Barbarians (a Barbarian ship with many Barbarians on board)
*Commerce, known as either the Commercial or the Traders (a Trader ship with many Traders on board, although I actually prefer the technically incorrect term of a Commercial ship)
*Gold, known as the Wealthy (a Wealthy ship with many Wealthy on board)
*Industry, known as the Industrialists
*Science, known as the Scientists
*Talent, known as either the Talented or the Universalists (a Universal ship with many Universalists on board)
*Governing, known as either the Governors or the Bureaucrats (a Governing ship with many Governors on board)
*Seafaring, known as either the Naval, the Seafaring, or the Sailors (a Naval ship with many Sailors on board)
*The Sky, known as either the Aviators or the Aerial (an Aerial ship with many Aviators onboard)
*Hippophilia, known as the Hippophiliacs (a Hippophiliac ship with many Hippophiliacs on board)
*Military, known as the Militarists (a Miliarist ship with many Militarists on board)
*Utopia, known as the Utopians (a Utopian ship, with many Utopians on board)
*Innovation, known as the Innovators or the Unique (a Unique ship, with many Innovators on board)
*Friskiness, known as the Frisky or the Settlers (a Frisky ship with many Settlers on board)
*Diplomacy, known as the Diplomats (a Diplomatic ship with many Diplomats on board)
*Defence, known as the Defenders (a Defending ship with many Defenders on board)
*Honesty, known as the Honourable or the Virtuous (an Honourable ship with many Honourable on board)
*Haute Couture, known as the Cultured or the Civilized (a Cultured ship with many Civilized on board)
*Metropoli, known as the Metropolitans, the Urban, or the City Dwellers (an Urban ship with many City Dwellers on board)
*Spirited, known as the Intelligent (an Intelligent ship with many Intelligent on board)

Hopefully that clears up the confusion a bit. Some of the varying names was intentional (Urban/City Dwellers, Aerial/Aviators), some was indecision (Civilized/Cultured, Settlers/Frisky, Traders/Commercial). I can try to be more consistent in the future, but variations are going to be showing up in the screenshots forever, so it may be best to bookmark this chart/memorize who is what/etc.

I made this big world map last weekend, but forgot to post it. So here it is. It's the zoomed-out in-game view of the empire in 740 AD (the current time in the story). Ought to be a good reference point to look back on when trying to remember where cities are, at least until the game gets lots of action outside of this area.

Spoiler 2100x1520 :

Unfortunately for the Despot, the people wear itching for Feudalism and weren't going to be dissuaded by any statistical reports. By 760 AD, a full revolution was underway.

The short-lived provisional and provincial governments didn't accomplish much during the next fifty years, but they did manage to come together long enough to sign an peace accord with the Frisky.

Fortunately other civilizations did not take advantage of the Intelligent weakness, preferring to make peace all around.

The settlement of Choxorn's Oases also saw some success during the Anarchy, sending out a band of Settlers to reclaim the area of Northern Frontier.

By 810 AD, the revolution had calmed down, and the Intelligent were able to settle into what they hoped would be a most prosperous and long-live Feudalism.

It takes awhile for production to ramp up, but in 830 AD, the Settler from Choxorn's Oases reaches the old site of Northern Frontier, and builds Phoenix from the ashes of the old city.

I still haven't completed any buildings by 840, but my Galley observes the first non-volcanic pollution I've seen.

Looks like the Urban haven't got around to taking care of pollution yet. I realize now that the little sun icon is there - I wonder how long it has been there, and going through old saves, find it has been since at least 530 AD. The Urban are fiesty, though, and request I withdraw from their waters their next turn. But they are quite pleased by an offer of a right of passage, which both sides heartily agree to. And they also are willing to restart the old Wines and Incense for Furs deal, so that is done as well. The influx of luxuries pushes me to first place in approval. But as that's at just 66%, there's still plenty of room for improvement.

The Commercial take care of some barbarians for me in 845.

How nice! It's as if we'd always been best friends!

I finally complete a building in 850 with the Temple of Thunderfall. Sadly, Thunderfall is still my most cultured city, despite all of its culture up to this point coming from its Palace.

This comes in 855. At this point I'd like anyone other than the Talented to complete a Wonder.

By 900, even though I've only built Temples and one library, my empire is already much healthier than it was two centuries ago. Manufacturing especially is doing well, having increased by almost 50% in eight score years, and going from 9th to 4th in the world. There are more than a million more souls in the empire than 160 years ago as well, much faster growth than the 380 years it had taken to grow the previous million. Corruption has also fallen by about five percentage points, to 19%, despite the lack of Courthouses. The only downside is that the Talented have finally surpassed double my score, but that was bound to happen sometime anyway.

I spot some green borders in 910 AD by the Urban cities of Kaifeng and Fez.

I don't recall who green is, but I'll be finding out soon!

But, before that, my Galley finds...

The Talented! Now they'll have a colonial empire, too!

In 915 AD? They'll have nukes by 1500 AD!

It is not the green borders that I find in 920, but rather the yellow borders of the Unique.

The Innovators are small and backwards, their only real advantage being their unique units. The Metropolitans certainly seem to be in a better position on their island.

I finish Monotheism in 950, and switch a great number of Colosseum builds to Cathedrals. That same turn I establish an embassy in the Talented city of Virtuoso.

Blimely! This is a masterly city. And it'll be much better with a Hospital! The only good news for me is that they've burned through all but 31,000 of their gold. The bad news is they still have 31,000 gold.

My best science cities, Dromon Delta and River's Source, do 21 beakers per turn at 100% science, and Thunderfall, my most productive city, gets 12 shields per turn. Not even close.

I decide to research Theology next. The Talented haven't yet finished Knights Templar, so I'd somewhat like to try for that, but I figure they'll probably beat me to it, and as I don't know where the city that they're building it in is, I can't investigate to determine otherwise. Theology, then, is much more practical, as I currently lack a source of horse.

The very next turn. I'm quite glad I didn't go for Chivalry. But also rather annoyed by the Talented's ceaseless success.

My next turn, I discover who the green civilization is - the Utopians!

The Utopians have a good number of cities, and feel themselves to be our scientific equals. I stike a deal to give them Incense and Wines in exchange for Gems. This doesn't prevent them from requesting that my ship leaves Eden on their next turn, but it sure does help happiness.

Thunderfall completes my first Cathedral in 990, the same turn that Desert Mine completes my first market. And I enter the new millenium confident that I've done well the past 250 years in steering my empire back in the right direction. Population growth especially is reassuring, having added another million souls in the past century.

1025 AD. I'm thinking about trying for JS Bach's with a Palace prebuild in Bright Future. Fortunately they haven't started that - yet. But, much to my dismay, I find out that they're already a Democracy in 1030. Not that that can't be exploited, but it's sure a bad sign for now.

I am delivered a curveball in 1040 with this notice that makes paying taxes look like everyone's best dream by comparison:

The Plague! And in the city my Leader is in! Fortunately he survives; I decide to send him to the gold mountain by Thunderfall so he'll be outside of a city.

Mysteriously, the plague disappears in 1060. Perhaps it was just an unlucky side effect from the main plague? :crazyeye: I hope it doesn't reappear!

Theology is finished in 1070, and research is set on 12-turn Education. Bright Future will have too many shields for its Palace prebuild for JS Bach's, so I have it build a Marketplace first.

Some good news comes in this turn; I am ahead of the Commercial in technologies, and the Talented have burned through another 12,000 gold. At this rate it'll only be a couple centuries before they don't have any money!

But the good news is countered the very next turn; the Talented have reached the Industrial Age!!!

I've no idea how I'm ever going to catch them. I'll need lots of diplomacy in this game.

In 1095 AD. Naturally, there was no competition.

My empire is still growing healthily in 1100, being 3rd or 4th in the major demographic categories. I still have adequate unit support as well, despite my growing cities. Nevertheless, once a few more towns become cities, I'll have to start paying unit support. Fortunately my happiness situation is now good enough that I could afford being a Republic. Were I not shooting for JS Bach's, it may well be a good time to research Republic.

Apparently I'm growing relative to other civilizations as well, as in 1125 the Urban request an extra 20 gold to continue our luxury deal. I accede, although I have little extra money. I'll take it as a complement that this is happening!

But the calm, peaceful days end in 1135, when this happens.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only diplomacy can save me now!

:woohoo: They burned my city!!! As in, I might possibly someday get the land back!!!

[yes, it's a very bad thing when you're celebrating your city being razed]

Oar finishes my first Courthouse in 1140, but it may as well not have.

And then I get another bad notice.

It almost feels like everything that can go wrong is. But there's no time to feel sorry for myself. It's time to reorganize this empire for war. The first task is switching production; all cities except four that are very near finishing something switch to military right away. Then comes securing alliances.

This one is absolutely essential, as I'll be destroyed if they invade as well. Much as I'd enjoy conquering the Commercial, there's no doubt to me that I must be allies with them for now. I also bring in the Urban; they can take the Talented colonies at least (see below), and should be able to defend themselves well enough.

I then set science to zero to pay for upgrades near the front, and end my turn.

Thank goodness it's not an alliance! I need to get the Frisky on my side, if only to ensure I keep getting my luxuries.

The Universalists seem to want to take the northern Commercial territories first; that is fine with me. It may give me the time I need to really defeat them, or at least not lose.

But they have Cavalry! :cry: I'll need some really good Pikemen!

Oar, at least, does not fall. With the Commercial now in the war, is should be safe from defeat from now on.

Unfortunately, my unit costs skyrocket in 1150.

The sinews of war are gold, and lots of it. I send out my only Settler to resettle Mainsail; I'll need the unit support! Then I set to organizing, upgrading, and building up forces. But I'm thrown another curveball when the Sailors align with the Talented and declare war on me. Go figure. At least it's the weakest civilization on the continent. I can deal with them, even if I do lose Oar.

But Oar may well fall to the Talented's purchased Cavalry. This one is killed off by the Commercial, but I'm sure there will be more.

The Talented cavalry are being a pain all around.

I have to chase that Cavalry all around before it finally dies, after taking another of my Swordsmen with it. They're worse than the plague.

Poor diplomatic events continue in earnest in 1165, with the DisUtopians declaring war on the Commercial and Urban, and the Frisky signing in against the Urban as well. I fear one or more Mutual Protection Pacts may be at work; with the Talented already in the Industrial Age and with Nationalism, it's quite possible.

The Commercial continue to try to protect me from the Talented Cavalry by Oar, but they really aren't doing that great of a job. They fought a whole lot better against me :sad:.

So in 1170 I have a lot of work to do. The Urban-Utopian war will soon be in full swing; there is nothing I can do about that. Most inconveniently, I'm trading with both sides. But what I can do is ensure that the Frisky are on my side, and that my resources are not cut off. So that is priority one in 1170.

The Frisky are destitute; they'd be an excellent target for expansion if only it weren't for the mercenary-loving Talented who are entirely dependent on the gold they conquered from the Wealthy for their vile prosperity, according to the Propaganda Ministry. The small issue of how the Talented conquered the Wealthy isn't explained, but as the historians of the day can't explain it, either, happily, the Propaganda Ministry is largely successful in its message.

Unfortunately, the Frisky are cowardly lily-livered scaredy-rabbits who won't fight a diplomatic war even for money they most desperately need. Well, they can be assured of a prime spot on my to-conquer list for that! They will pay!

So I decide to try to get the Innovators on board instead.

They seem to be faring a bit better; at least they have Numidians and Javelin Throwers. And they are sensible and willing to join my side for some luxuries and gold.

My doom, thankfully, seems delayable at least. The Commercial will suffer losses, I'm sure, but the Talented won't be able to steamroll everyone without getting their nose bloodied.

There is one Musketman in my territory in 1170; my Trebuchets redline him and a Medieval Infantry then charges.

Boo-yeah! Guns don't get you everything!

The Urban request an alliance against the Utopians in 1175. I refuse; I need all the luxuries I can get. If the Frisky declare war on me, I may see if the Urban will pay me for war, but for now, peace is the way.

The Scientists sign an embargo against me immediately afterwards. I'd been considering getting them in as an ally, but had thought that I may prefer long-term to keep the scientists out of this war and existing as a counterbalance for later on. For, unfortunate as it may be, the truth is they'd probably get pwn'ed pretty quickly if they got into this war.

The Commercial city of Dividend falls to the Universalists in 1175. Two more Commercial cities remain up north. And the Commercial receive more bad news when the Frisky sign an embargo against them the same year - the Frisky really are on the Talented's side.

The Talented threaten to cut off my wines in 1190 with a Rifleman. It won't occur!

Two Swordsmen and my Trebuchet team up to kill him. They've been getting a new troop at Stern nigh every turn - they must be burning through cash.

The same year I bring the Militarists into the war. They won't be much help, but the more allies I have, the more war weariness the Univeralists will suffer... mwahahahaha!!!

The town of Importing falls to the Univeralists in 1195, leaving a single Commercial settlement up north. But even after taking it they'll have to trudge back through the jungle to get to me, so I'm feeling like I'll probably survive this war.

1205 is a great year, as in that year the Sailors request peace! Better yet, they'll give me 61 gold for it! I heartily accept - Oar may survive yet!

Were I not so bankrupt, I'd bring them in as an ally against the Universalists. Unfortunately I am quite poor at the moment due to unit support. Monarchy and Republic are both looking pretty good right now.

My galley, looking for other possible allies, sinks in 1210. Oh well. It found me the Frisky, Urban, Innovators, and Utopians.

The last Commercial outpost up north falls in 1205. The Talented will probably be coming after me soon. Gulp.

By 1210, I am gaining a mere 7 GPT at 0% science! Yikes! 87 GPT in unit support with paying for alliances is simply too much. So I am forced to built markets in war time. A most undesirable situation.

But despite these poor tidings, I've managed to fortify my northern borders a bit and think I will be able to withstand their advances decently well.

My workers are busy at work building Barricades, which hopefully will prove quite the obstacle to the Univeralists. It'll also give me a zone of control, which could come quite in handy.

The Univeralists are ready to negotiate in 1220, and I am thrilled to discover they are bankrupt!

[party] They blew through that money fast! They'll make peace for just 20 gold, too - apparently they're feeling the hurt! Not that I'm not, but I sure am glad they are, too. I don't make peace now, as I'm not in danger and have alliances to keep, but am glad I'll be able to when the time comes.

Go Sailors! I don't think any side can really win this war, but the Sailors certainly can't lose with their Dromons.

:trouble: Now don't you DOW me again... shame on you for making me think you're with me and then doing this!

Now that's just annoying. Although I fear they may come to Western Shore rather than Phoenix (formerly Northern Frontier) on the land front.

Whoa! Well, so much for the Sailors allying with the Talented! Looks like someone's mad about that peace deal I signed a few turns ago! Welcome, my new ally!

(Part Fifteen is immediately proceeding above)

Can you post the mod so that we can play it?

I'm still tidying it up a bit. I could post it now, but I'd rather wait until the quality is a bit higher. It's at what I'd call beta quality - there aren't any showstopping bugs (or if there are, it's news to me), but it's not at the same level as, say, the Napoleonic Wars scenario in polish.

Balance in particular is an issue, and one that I'm learning more about as I play through this game, this being the first real game I've played with the mod. The quick annihilation of the Wealthy, for instance, indicated that they really shouldn't start in Despotism where they have to whip to hurry, and should instead start in a government that allows them to pay for hurrying. That hasn't been implemented yet. And an event in the yet-to-be-posted Part 16 told me another area that needed correcting, for which I've thought of a solution but have not yet implemented. Then there's the issue of the civilizations that start out in poor areas to take advantage of their bonuses, as the Frisky and Militaristic did in this game. Maybe the Frisky should have low-pop Workers as well? And the Hippophiliacs aren't powerful without Horses - should they receive more bonuses with Horses, or perhaps be able to build Horse units without a source of Horses on the map? Or both? Are the Defensive too powerful since they can protect their offensive units so well? It'll be easier to tell when I meet them. Maybe their powerful defensive units should be immobile? Makes it tough to protect resources or new settlements, though. The balance doesn't have to be perfect, but I think it should be better than it is now, and I won't know how much it should be changed until I meet more civilizations. Of course the AI shouldn't be weakened much if at all, but a few of them may need some more bonuses to be competitively wrathful with the others.

The other primary issue is the artwork - right now it's generic Knights Templar all over the place. While this isn't really important, it would look better if the scenario had more appropriate graphics. And the leaderheads don't match up well at all - replacing many of them with nonmoving images may be preferable (although I may well leave Montezuma for the Militaristic and a few others as are appropriate for Civ).

Finally, there's the issue of time. Updates probably will be faily sporadic until May - there just isn't that much time for Civ for me right now. The updates I'm posting now were played well before this weekend. But once May comes, I should have the time once again to both play the game occasionally and finish applying polish to the scenario.

I'm glad people want me to release the scenario, and plan to do so eventually, but would rather do so in a fully completed and more flavored state than it is in right now.

uh, you are building cathedrals ?
Spoiler :

Never found any use for anything above temple, I do build temples once my cities start growing above size 8 and I have few lux'es(1-3). I find luxury slider to be much easier to play with and for lone *huge* city, specialists are way to go, sometimes by adding one science specialist, I can drop science rate and gain 2-10 extra gold per turn...

Against cavalry, can they move in jungle?

You also got quite a few defenders, I prefer having 2 per town, with 2-3 being "mobile", able to reforce ~4 towns around them.. However you got cavalry to fight with... You cannot win fights with only defenders, is making MI stack, combined with 3-5 spears and attacking some enemy towns, impossible (I dont know if it is). Taking enemy town, even one is huge hit to 'em.

Top Bottom