PolyCast Episode 69: "Target Practice"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication

Aim for the bullseye. The sixty-ninth episode of PolyCast is now netcasting. "Target Practice" features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Makahlua and Imran Siddiqui and Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney with returning guest co-host Jon "CanuckSoldier" Ryder and first-time guest co-host Stewart "MMC" Rice.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m35s | Senate
When and when not to attack directly from a transport in Civilization IV, how do you deal with barbarians, and how bad is settling a city one tile from the coast.
- 13m34s | Research Lab
A proposal for both a professionaly army and black market in the Civ series, and aqueduct roads and related potential impact on desert terrain.
- 27m24s | Forum Talk
The cause for running the Theocracy and Vassalage civics together, why one player in particular has decided to quit playing CivIV, and looking back at what one anticipated their favourite Beyond the Sword feature to be... and what it is in retrospect.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Who apparently has too much time on their hands, wandering minds, who can't believe they were invited back and face-palming.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy. A nominee in the "Best Produced" and "Gaming" categories of the 2008 Podcast Awards, sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding and RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution.

As always, enjoy. :cool:

As always, enjoy. :cool:
Well, once again, I did. :)

Thank you for the good discussion on the Vassalage and Theocracy thread. Some good thoughts there.

And heck, it's always nice to be quoted. :D
*Lemon shuffles her feet awkwardly, and looks at her toes*

you guys need a fact listener. First Ken says 'Baron' Atreides and 'Duke' Harkonnen (wrong! It is the other way around) and now Dan says Civil Service allows you to farm tile with no water (wrong! CS allows chained irrigation, Biology allows farming with no water).

Well, once again, I did. :)
:cool:

Thank you for the good discussion on the Vassalage and Theocracy thread. Some good thoughts there.
Welcome. Glad you enjoyed the discussion.

And heck, it's always nice to be quoted. :D
*Lemon shuffles her feet awkwardly, and looks at her toes*
:D

you guys need a fact listener. [..] ... Dan says Civil Service allows you to farm tile with no water (wrong! CS allows chained irrigation, Biology allows farming with no water).
Whoops! Pardon that. Not only did I miss that, but so did all of my fellow co-hosts. That's atypical all around, but we're only human after all.

Enjoy the episode (overall, at least)? :)

Enjoy the episode (overall, at least)? :)
yeah - it was up to its typical standard. I was a bit surprised that Imran didn't make more of his boy / girl opportunities.

I started checking them out recently and I'm very impressed. They're a good deal while I'm prepping forum maps or waiting for video game speed runs to download. Or job searching online. Anything really. Must economize on time after all! Haha!

Seriously though, I didn't even know what a polycast was until recently, but they're really good.

yeah - it was up to its typical standard.
Glad you enjoyed it!

I was a bit surprised that Imran didn't make more of his boy / girl opportunities.
:lol:, well, there were some more... exchanges that were cut. :D

I started checking them out recently and I'm very impressed. [..]

I didn't even know what a polycast was until recently, but they're really good.
Welcome, new listener. :king: Hope you've had a chance, and/or will have a chance, to look into the show's archives as well as waiting for newly minted episodes.

Assuming you mean positive interesting points, than you're welcome. :mischief::D

Camikaze and I started a discussion on the Black Market thread about the time you were in post-production. Maybe we have something more plausible/playable proposed compared to when you last read the thread.

Oh. I'm in the Random Event camp, although spies are better than corps.
I believe I was most looking forward to privateers and carracks, which are still both pretty cool. Random Events /Quests really highten that I-don't-know-what's- going-to- happen-next....One..More .. Turn feeling.

Apostolic Palace was the #1 interest for me in BTS (but I wanted all of it, especially to be able to play in current forum games). AP remains the most dominating feature actually, since it's an entire victory condition and the hands-down easiest one to achieve (if you get theology first, know diplomacy, and stay alive, you win). Corps are actually a powerful presence in civ and most HoF space games make extensive use of mining inc. now. I wish I could say the same for colonies...those really let me down and my uses for them are few at best (maybe to magically generate 2 defenders/city on lands I don't care about keeping in tough wars, and possibly AP abuse...that's it).

I don't have BtS. :(
And therefore I have no favourite BtS feature.
However, if when it comes out for Mac, I anticipate it to be Random Events.

And yes, I did think they were good suggestions.

I don't have BtS. :(
And therefore I have no favourite BtS feature.
However, if when it comes out for Mac, I anticipate it to be Random Events.

And yes, I did think they were good suggestions.

I feel for you, man.

I buy new computers to keep up with CIV, so I never considered an Apple.

Yeah, I could run Boot Camp, and play the Windows version, but I already had Warlords for Mac when BtS came out, and I thought it was only a matter of time before it would also come out for Mac. Shame it hasn't yet, although it is, apparently, in development.

Top Bottom