Lonely Hearts Club, BtS Edition, Chapter XLVI: Churchill

r_rolo1

King of myself
Welcome to the 46th edition of the Lonely Hearts Club for BTS. In the Lonely Hearts Club we explore strategies to cope with one of the most dreaded situations in Civ IV ( possibly the main reason for reloads after the military collapse one :p ): starting in isolation....

For the 46th game in BTS the chosen leader was Churchill of the English :
Spoiler :

Churchill is probably the least loved of the English leaders, because he is the one that isn't Fin and he's the only one that is Pro ;) .Either way, I think that it is valuable leader and that most of the times, being Cha can be a effective counterweight of not having a more shiny trait to boost, either in peace or war. Churchill also has the best draftable rifles in the game ( except if you want to compare with toku ones and even then it is not a easy pick ), making it a superb candidate to rifle warfare, that is almost always the first real opening in war in a isolated start

His UU
Spoiler :

The redcoat is a rifleman that has a aditional bonus vs gunpowder units. It is certain that this UU already had better days in vanilla ( yeah, 18 str cossacks and vanilla redcoats are OP, but the Romans can still have "macemen" with IW :mischief: ). Unless you get Rifling when your foes have less than muskets or better than rifles, this UU will have a definite advantage compared wtih the regular riflemen and it comes right in time for a galleon based invasion, combined with drafting ( it is the best unit you can draft at the 1 pop/unit ratio ). Probably we'll see a lot of Dom based wins :devil:

His UB
Spoiler :

The Stock exchange is a Bank that has a 65% revenue rate instead of the normal 50%. I'm not personally a great fan of banks ( they aren't definitely in my "must build in most cities" list: expensive, in the guilds branch and does not give happy or health like grocers or markets ), but they have definitely their uses and a stock exchange in a shrined city, a GM farm ( GM in here does not stand for genetically modified :D ) or in a corp headquarter definitely makes a diference.... it is 65 coins instead of 50 for every 100 you feed the bank :p

The start (Thanks to DanF for the solution of the unit change of place ;) .... The warrior/scout should appear always in the same place from now on, really :p ):
Spoiler :

The RNG wasn't that good this time and we can only see 10 tiles in the opening screen.... and they do not look that good. Cow and oasis , 2 wines, some green, but not too much..... This does not look like a easy start. We'll see....

Regarding the saves ( if you're using DanF change to the WB files load, skip this ): given some complaints about the efects of the AI starting without archery in high levels ( giving a unfair advantage to AI that have early UU and/or have early warmongering tendencies ), I decided to make 3 WB saves ( all in the same zip file ). The WB saves are equal except for the fact that one of them ( labeled Monarch ) has all of the AI with archery as starting tech ( corresponding to a game started in Monarch ), one ( labeled Immortal ) has all of the AI with archery,hunting and agriculture as starting tech ( corresponding to a game started in Immortal ) while the last is the corresponding to a game starting in Noble ( labeled Noble ). All WB saves are playable in all levels, but ( for a example ) if you use the Monarch one the AI will start with archery ( and archers ) in any level. This has only a slight effect in the human directly ( mainly via the garrisons of barb cities ), but has a huge effect on the AI gaming in the outer lands ( avoiding scenarios like Pacal, Shaka or Sitting Bull to take all the barb cities and becoming moguls ). I strongly recommend the usage of the Monarch save if you want to play in Monarch+ and the Immortal at Immortal/Deity.... All the speeds are working well ( no more games ending in 1900 ) The saves are zipped... you only have to unzip this to the worldbuilder saves or for the PublicMaps folder ( either one will do ) and load it from the scenarios.

Any problem PM me...

P.S WB saves are crosscompatible between 3.13 and 3.17 if they don't have No Espionage ticked. No problem with the patches here :p And as WB saves are no more than text files and Vanilla and Warlords WB are almost equal, you can play this if you exchange the non-Vanilla ( or non-warlords ) stuff ( in here it will be only leaders and civs eventually )

Again a small request ( not mandatory :p ) :

We ask the participants to do, if possible, a write-up with the victory save and a description of your game ( strategies, techs researched, wars,...). All the info should be in spoiler tags ( to not disturb other people's games ). If you want ( we would like to :p ) post reports at this moments of the game:

Checkpoint 1 - when we have explored the island and are aware of what resources it has. Its not so important when this is, but this is a time to discuss city sites etc. Don't look into a checkpoint 1 spoiler until you have reached this point yourself.

Checkpoint 2 - first contact - when we have met all the other AIs. At this point we can discuss our strategy to get to this point and our plans for dealing with them.

Checkpoint 3 - when we are committed to a victory condition (or at least think we are).

Checkpoint 4 - Victory (or defeat).

The last words are to wish good luck to all :goodjob: . And let the games begin!

P.S We don't have any kind of problem with defeats and reruns. Just play and enjoy ;)

Attachments

• LHC XLVI ( Churchill ).zip
    53 KB · Views: 245
I'm back from my friend's bachelor party! Signing in. Start isn't all bad. We can 1E for more hammers/base commerce in the city, after moving the warrior to make sure we're not losing food in the process.

Hmm good point, but I'm thinking of 1 NE, DEFINITELY move the warrior to the NE, to check out what your missing/ Losing. The base commerce loss would only be 1 gold, big early on, but +2 with a winery would make up for that.

Both are levy based, looks like a great start. Lots of hammers, grassland for farming, hills to mine.

Only real problem I can see is too many hills..:lol:

Definitely Iron works city in making, but not wall Street.

I'm still going with last game, been struck down by FLU and general apathy for civ playing, tried a cottage/Hereditary rule approach, not sure if I've done it right. 1452 and only 1 has Astronomy, Liberalism hasn't gone, and I'm very much in game...

I could use some pointers, mainly on Hammers and farms needed.

Initial thoughts on start
Initial check point 1
Initial check point 2
Check point 1 redux
Check point 2 redux
Check point 2 Con't re-dux
Check point 4 :mad:

Odyssey of the English Part 1​

After doing the maths, I come to the conclusion that settling on the Plains hill is better overall in the long run as its +1 greater when all added together, with hammers, foods and commerce having equal value.

Spoiler :

Of course I immediately find I've settled 1 off the coast, as I moved the warrior 1 SE to see if I was leaving any food behind.

Oh well, I accept my choices. The warrior is pressed into Scouting duty and Hunting is the first tech researched.

Spoiler :

I scout quickly down the east coast, nothing great jumping out, and begin to circle around the south. A lion attacks, reducing health to 0.5, requiring the healing of the warrior on a near by hill top.

As were both Charismatic and protective, archers from a barracks, and Stonehenge are early builds.

While healing, my warrior was attacked by a Panther, and killed, what else. 1st worker goes to work mining the Plains wine hill, to enable extra hammers and commerce. Current build is a barracks, for archers and scouts.

3210 BC I get the health event, and accept the + 2 health option for

Spoiler :
+ 2 health, for the loss of 1 population at pop 2 :gripe: them's the breaks.

This has slowed down my research, building of the barracks and population development

2695 BC Animal Husbandry is in, I start on Mysticism for Stonehenge, worker moves to the cows to improve them after building 2 plains mines.

2815 BC The barracks is built, I now start on a Archer, 9 turns for both archer and Mysticism, cow's finished in 5.

2290 BC The great Wall has just been BIADL. 3 to go on Stonehenge, and bronze working.

2260 BC Stonehenge is completed, Bronze working is in and
Spoiler :
We have bronze in our BFC, on a grassland hill, I'd previously mined. Not the one I'd thought it'd be though.

The Wheel is next, followed by Sailing, Masonry, pottery.

Builds are Settler, Archer x 5 and a Scout (may delete yet) I'll pop huts with Culture from cities, and not Scouts.

Spoiler :

Most of Island scouted out, Great Lighthouse to be built in the NE with the Whale/Clams and 1 plains hill, deer.

Settling order of cities will be again in 3 waves;

1)Green wave of city builds.
2)Yellow wave of city builds, this may be in 2 lots.
3)Red will follow last, though the far SE city may be brought forward to the 1st wave of Yellow.
Spoiler :
Are you really sure you want to look
Spoiler :
have you fully investigated the map??
Spoiler :
Ha Ha, its contained in Cornwall.jpg ;)

The North 1/3

Spoiler :

Middlesex
Spoiler :

Cornwall NB: read note for 3 first, may contain spoiler.

Spoiler :

I may move the 2 red cities about to claim the fish, and allow 2nd red city on East coast, the Island I'll just have to reach by galley anyway

Capital to be moved to centre of island, for cottages/Bureaucracy. London to be heroic epic city. Haven't quite decided on other city sites as yet.

Initial check point 1
Initial check point 2
Check point 1 redux
Check point 2 redux

Odyssey of the English check point 2

Having dot mapped out our island home for potential city sites, I need to now build the GLH and my 2nd city, along with some workers and defenders.

Spoiler :

1770 BC London pops a hut with its cultural borders for 264 gold. :goodjob: as I was deficit researching at -1 gold at 80%, back to 100% now.

1720 BC I've just been informed that the GLH has been BIADL. I never even got a lighthouse up and running. Looks like its a straight aim at Pottery/Writing, and spamming 4 cities with Libraries.

No, I change my mind, I have marble, and a good production capital. I decide to go; Polytheism, Priesthood, Writing and take Code of Laws from Oracle, if I'm able.

I discover a 2nd land mass below the 1st. I continue to explore about it with my work boat.

Spoiler :

1500 BC Nothingham is settled 1 south of the Marble, popping the hut for 111 gold. Masonry due in 11 turns, followed by Priesthood.

1480 BC the Oracle has just been built as well, so much for that idea. I stick with masonry as I'll try Temple of Artemis, then go Pottery/Writing.

One side note, being Protective, and Charismatic with a barracks, is nearly as good as Sitting Bull with a Totem pole, 1 point from City Garrison 3 archers. All it takes is one stray Barb warrior or a foolish Archer/Axeman attack and City Garrison 3 troops.

1040 BC I Build the Temple of Artemis, I didn't think I had much hope, but the 1 free priest will help as will the trade routes. London starts on the Pyramids now, I hold out NO HOPE for building these.

970 BC Sojourner Truth is born in London, and merged into the city, I reload as I accidently bulbed Meditation with him.

920 BC Christianity is founded, so I had no real hope there either.

780 BC the Colossus was BIADL {HOLY CRAP!!! RAMASSES THE WONDER HOG}

480 BC I fall 19 turns short on the Pyramids, no chops, didn't see the point, but I'll get cash for deficit researching with Libraries. :woohoo: Monarchy here I come.

330 AD I do a double switch to Hereditary rule and caste system for 3 turns of Anarchy. Building more settlers to fill out continent, cash is running out from deficit researching. Court houses will be next build of choice.

710 AD I've just foolishly now realized that I hadn't researched Currency. I'm such an Idiot, no wonder my economies in the Toilet. Building cottages all over the grassland to try recover.

775 AD Finally I get a Great General born over seas. They've got 7/7 religions, about time someone started a Freak'n war. Damm wonder hogs :gripe:

1000 AD I met Monty boy, and I'm behind him and in big TROUBLE!!! I think I'll end up reloading from the check point 1 point, and actually research the tech's properly this time, and not rush through like I did.

Just not happy how I'm playing Emperor level, I can dominate Monarch so Easy, but Emperor I can't get a hang on. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't figure it out.

Spoiler :

I've popped silver as well, and I settled my Wall street cottaged city badly. Overall I'm not happy, I'll restart from Check point 1, no real damage done.

Initial check point 1
Initial check point 2
Check point 1 redux
Check point 2 redux

Ipex - You are doing nothing wrong

Spoiler :

I started this game on Emperor - got GLH, TA, GL, Judaism. Thought I was off to the races... well nope... Met the rest of the family... It was like meeting in-laws for the first time and pronouncing their names wrong repeatedly. :blush:

Well rest ends with lawyers and .... a Treasury running at deficit. :(

I am starting over on Monarch… like going back to the old girlfriend afterwards. :rolleyes:

Immortal/Normal/No gayvents

"lol" UN win early 1900's, probably about 30-40 turns before an AI cleared another VC.

Spoiler :

I didn't take a lot of SS this time, so I'll just put what I have as a highlight reel:

1E was a terrible capitol, but so was in place :dubious:. Thanks for the plains cow only rolo :sad:. Regardless, the land to the south was nice. I did a DaveMCW "build only workers, settlers, units to explore, max cottage turns" type opening. The bad capitol made things a little sticky. Eventually I hit monarchy and grew cottages. Filled in the land, took out 2 barb island cities and just stayed backwards forever.

Except vs monty. Zara wanted me to war vs him, and I'd already been using stock exchange $$$ rush to mass up infantry vs rifles/bows. I'd also gained some ground with the bio trade-around move, so I had physics etc also. Infantry do very well w/o siege against rifles when the rifles are 11.2 str thanks to airships. I bribed zara out of the war, took monty as a cap, switched to NSR theology (!) to suck up to sal, and was going to actually use spies to kick sal out of hammy's religion. Hammy had the UN, so it was me vs him, and sal liked hammy more than me.

That is, of course, until the hamster declared on culture-whore HC, and NUKES flew! -4 later, sal dropped to pleased with ham, and I pulled my spies out w/o a single mission.

I'd tallied the votes before taking monty cap so I knew I had enough. I was backwards but not bad...only sal was near mech infantry, and I already had industrialism so if I needed to throw down, I could have done so with brute force marines + capitulations, starting with a raze job on HC's culture cities (which were around 20k as 3rd city as of game's end).

No need.

Interestingly, I built exactly 0 wonders at all, and had no religion till it spread to me ;).

Immortal Normal - Checkpoint 1 mostly ;)
450BC Strategic Resources are shown.
Spoiler :

I settled 1S of the start on the wine. The lack of food before bio will be a bit of a hindrance in London but not to much as I will try and spam a lot of wonders in there. :)
Second city was built for the marble and Oracle. For a change I thought I would try and build the AP so managed to get Theo from the Oracle. I've had 1GP so far which was a GM settled in London.

London

I'll probably end up settling most of the GPs here.

North Island

South Island

Lots of un-irrigated grass land. I'll probably spam cottages in the South. Production in the North and take it from there. I did have a barb warrior guarding a hut but I moved one of my fogbusters and a city sprang up there instead. :( At least as I have IW now I'll get some money from razing it and a sword to 8xp for the HE. :) I have a few coastal tiles to uncover hopefully there will be some fish around.

Immortal epic 1750bc. Checkpoint1.

Spoiler :
Moved warrior NE, spotted coast and clams so lost a turn settling on plains hill coast. Huts variable: sailing from first, hostiles from second (warrior died), gold from third. Built 2 WBs first, one for clams, one for exploration. Went for archery early and got a couple of archers out fogbusting.
Then went straight for Glight without bothering with settlers. Got it in 1750bc, time to start expanding.

Check point 2/3 - 1505AD - Imm/Normal

Spoiler :

I think the tech screen says it all. So I'll let it do all the talking. :lol:

Not looking good. I did get a lot of techs from HAm/Zara for Edu before I met the others. I though I might have been in with a small chance of Lib but that went while I was still teching philo.

So after building the AP I think my best shot is an AP win. I have played on a little bit and managed to spread Christianity to everyone bar HC and Monte. Hopefully I will be able to spread to HC by gifting a missionary as he is in Theocracy. Well it worked with Zara and Sal. :)

Monte is the main trouble. I've got traded with worse enemy and diff religion modifiers so what I might do is go into NSR. Gift him a tech get OB then change back again. On the other hand there is the capture city. Spread Christianity. Stop war with AP. Then gift him the city back. He is at war with Zara at the moment so some of his troops have been used up. I'm currently going for rifles and will probably draft some troops and attack. Have to see.

I did think at one time HC was going to come for me as he was in WHEEOH but that was possibly for the little silver island in the South which I conquered for the English empire before him. He's now out of it though I do have to be a bit careful and I'm building some troops as I don't trust the Chinese in this game either. :)

Check Point deux - 1290AD

Spoiler :
I am only playing Monarch. I settled in place. Expanded slowly, used the marble for Parthenon and Great Library in separate cities.

I just completed circumnavigation (sent out only 2 boats) and have met everyone. Because I had whales, I researched optics myself.

I am 7 turns from banking and have general parity, minimal troops. Trading feudalism and guilds got me caught up. I prioritzed Alphabet early and Monarchy. I made good use of building research. I have no religions. It's time to pick sides. I will probably go into mercantilism, then representation, then red coats. I will likely colonize islands if there are any or invade a weak civ or 6.

Checkpoint 4 - Imm/Normal - 1700

Spoiler :

The plan to go for a Religious win came to fruition in 1700. :) For one turn Monte became cautious so I didn't need to attack him to get Christianity into one of his cities and was able to get HC infected as well. The first vote came up and I was short by 10 votes. It didn't help that I'd been drafting rifles so my pop had shrunk a bit. I stopped doing that when I realised. :lol:

I fired up a golden age to change my next civics to Theo with the plan to get Zara to vote for me. He had already came and threatened me for 825 gold I had left after a trade mission. Normally it would have been on your bike but I preferred the +1 diplo. So the next vote came in and.

My first religious victory in the LHC. :)

I was catching up in tech quite well although most civs wouldn't trade with me because I was to advanced. :confused: Nothing the Internet wouldn't have cured. :)
I had avoided SM for 2 reasons. The loss of my monasteries and AP bonus hammers and losing the effects of my wonders. i.e Parth/Glib/ToA which would have been a big hit.

Tech situation at the end.

Thanks for hosting again R_Rolo1 :goodjob:

Odysey of the English Check point 1 Re-dux

OK. I reloaded again from Check point 1, before I didn't research Currency and I had 15 workers running about, probably too many for that island mass, and that early. Basically I'll do the same wonder routine, but settle cities differently. I'm trying to learn the cottage game, that so many people seem to be in love with {Urrgghh} I'll try specialist till emancipation then cottages approach.

Spoiler :

Umm basically I didn't take any notes of what I've done. I built the Temple of Artemis, got within 9 turns of the Oracle, hardly started the Pyramids, and currently building the Chitzen Itza for cash failure.

Settled 6 cities, moved my Capital city 2 North of the Lake in the South, built farms and running 6 scientists there on rice/pigs and farms.

Building more settlers to settle more land, and then settle off shore on the 2 land masses.

9 workers only, and not 15 like last time, not as many cities either. Currency researched, currently 33 left on Civil service for Irrigation spread.

Adopted Hereditary rule along with Caste system, I have big happy/healthy cities planned. London is food challenged along with the city 1 south of the marble. The others need Civil service to prosper.

Paused at 650 AD or so for a break. Seem to be doing better, lost library in capital city due to a random event, and as I was running 4 scientists at the time, it really hurt my science rate.

Game crashes, won't reload, re-booted, still won't reload. I have to start again. :mad:

Another loss. Sought of.

Check point 1 REDUX

Any way, 4th try, I miss Stonehenge by 1 Turn :gripe: I get failure cash for that, I settle my 2nd city upon the Marble, I actually build the Oracle :trophy: in 1420 BC, take Code of Law's and Found Confucianism in my marble city. 3rd city is built up by the clams/whale site. Now I'm going for Monarchy then Math's/ Currency.

I also got the Chariots quest, and failed that 2 turns later, like I was ever going to try out for it. :snowlaugh:

Build order has been worker, warrior's till size 3 when I teched Mysticism, built Stonehenge, then barracks, warriors, monument (growth), Oracle, worker, warriors. Marble city built 1 worker, Optics city, granary, monument.

I've also popped out Gold in London's BFC, and with the restart, I settled upon the Wine. Mr “Who Dat!!”, was right :gripe:, my spot sucked big time.
Spoiler :

I'll move on from here, come what may. Move capital to Capital city site,1 below pigs,1 above lake, taking the rice in BFC. Major cottages there, going to try a specialist economy game, (what else) with cottaged Bureaucracy capital city.

Settlement order is in 3 waves; Remaining green city sites including the sheep city west of London, capital city and 4 satellites, then the red cities.
Spoiler :

My plan for the northern 1/3​

Plan for the Capital city site (move capital)​

I have 4 satellite cities about capital city, that can all work the cottages, while Capital city is getting up to full population, under Monarchy.

Plan for the lower 1/3​

Moving on to Proper check point 2, I fill out rest of Island.

Initial check point 1
Initial check point 2
Check point 1 redux
Check point 2 redux

monarch/epic/670 AD

Spoiler :

So, I moved my warrior northeast, saw the clab, figured a shot at the GHL would be nice in isolation and chances of taking it with an inland capital were slim, and decided to move the settler to the coast to grab the crab. It's still on fresh water due to the oasis, and it'll be a production powerhouse in the early game. Maybe it'll need some windmills later on, but I'll see how that goes.

I built a WB while teching myst, the henge is good for charismatic leaders.

Techpath early on was myst - BW - mason - sailing - agri - AH - pottery - writing - poly aesth - lit. I popped the wheel from the hut NW of the capital.

This capital, along with the marble nearby, just screams wonderspam. I'm isolated anyway, so there's no need to expand rapidly. I grabbed the henge, the GHL, ToA, parth, the collossus, and the GLib. It still has limited food, but I got some good GP early on. Used a GP to bulb theo, which went late. Another GP to shrine it. Settled a GM in the shrined city, and used two GSs' for academies, one in London and one in Hastings, which looks like like a great commerce site when the cottages mature.

I'm now moving to optics to get some contacts going, it's not the best path to take, in retrospect. Probably going lib first, then optics to take astro would be better, but perhaps I can take astro from lib this way. The harbours will also come in handy with the GLib, especially after I tech/trade currency. I'm not playing my best here, but I should be ok.

Some eyecandy;

London looks great, I accidentaly cut off some of the screens, but I'm running another two scientists there now to get some more GPP, I think I'm at 77 GPP/t now.

The North. It's developed nicely. Vertical growth is slow because there's little food. I Cottaged over most of the grassland to help me with some commerce until I reach astro. If I can't take it from lib, I want to tech there ASAP for the TRE I plan on running.

The south is another story altogether, I just smacked some cities down there without thinking too much about them. There's a WB somewhere, heading toward the eastern fish, but it doesn't show. My workers are almost done up north though, at which time I'll send them down to lay down some cottages there.

I still haven't explored the island to the south. I've sent some triremes down, but they died at the hands of galleys, and I'm saving the ones I have now for an upgrade to caravels. Probably send one down there later on.

Odyssey of the English Check point 2 Re-dux

Moving on FINALLY :faint: I move onto to check point 2.

Spoiler :

Ok, I've been playing about trying to prefect my game in Isolation, this won't be the best example there of, but its a great start, I'm not going to throw this away, after all the losses so far.

Tech order initially is Hunting (camp deer) and Monarchy.

1260 AD London starts on the Pyramids for failure cash, I don't plan on building them, stopping 1 short for the cash if I make it that far. Further queue's are for; Settler, Settler, Confucian Monastery, Temple, Courthouse. Other cities will make 3 more workers. Nottingham, also has had a Hurricane strike, but only lost Monument, after 1st border pop.

1060 AD I revolt to both Hereditary Rule and Slavery, Research is now set to Sailing, Maths, Currency.

990 BC A big year for wonders, both the Pyramids and the Great Lighthouse are built in that year. Certainly different from my Initial effort where the Great lighthouse and they Oracle both fell in the 1700 BC's, the Pyramids in the 1300 BC's and Confucianism in the 1000 BC's.

360 BC I found Capital city, I'm still yet to found the Sheep city, I've brought capital city forward, as I had a spare Great Profit, I wanted to settle into the city.

Here's something I've never heard mentioned before, you can pop rush Warriors, with Cash overflow. I've been slave rushing Warriors for 1 pop, and gaining, 60 + gold each time as an overflow. This is either due to Charismatic trait, or Protective? Not sure which, or is it for all traits. :confused:

Spoiler :

Any how, I went warrior whipping crazy, accumulated 500 Gold for Deficit researching, and then built some workers to wear off the Whipping anger, along with a settler or 4. As most cities were on max food generation, its a great savior. Overflow from whipping at 1 turn/1 pop, flowed into the forge builds in all cities.

I've gone a little whip crazy, better grow back the pop and adopt Caste System and Bureaucracy when both available.

685 AD After I've stilled my whipping frenzy, and researched Civil Service, I do a double civic's switch to Bureaucracy and Caste System. I'm building the Palace in Capital city, to move the capital, and then I'll build settlers in the core cities to fill out the Continent.

Usually by this stage I'm struggling to Achieve either Code of Law's, Currency or even Monarchy. The Oracle slingshot onto Code of Laws certainly has helped. I'm trying not to build the following; Pyramids (crutch), Great Library (crutch), Oracle (couldn't help myself). Settle all great People in Capital city, and cottage it up.

800 AD I have my 1st Great General Born, its about time :dubious:

845 AD I meet my first opponent, and its MAO, The 1st Communist in a country of Equals.

Spoiler :

I'm behind in tech's and cities, on what I'd like to be at this stage, my whipping frenzy has cost time and cities.

975 AD Having just researched Paper, I do a partial bulb of Education for 4986 Beakers or so, which is just over half. My economy has now crashed to Zero again. I'm going to have to employ Scientists to get myself out of this hole, along with Merchants.

1000 AD I met Hyuana Capac

Spoiler :

and his MASTER

Spoiler :

I'm doing ok in tech's, bit of a deficit, but I still have paper on all 3 of them, time to trade it off, and meet the remaining 3, as Apostolic Palace was built under Buddhism, so hopefully a 3v's 3 split.

I now take a break.

Resuming after 2 day break, find Hammurabi has paper, and Mao, has mostly researched it,

Spoiler :

I can trade it to Hyuana for the following.

Spoiler :

I made these trades to access the Organised religion civic, and to boost relations with the AI's through fair trade, yeah more like piracy.

I seem to have also chosen the Hindu side of Politics, as the Apostolic Palace was built under Buddhism.

I was able to build the University of Sankore, for a whole 2 turns, for 66 gold, before I lost out on that wonder race. Didn't think I really had a shot, but mainly for gold for failure.

1140 AD Both Hammurabi and Huyana, can now both trade Education, so they've raced past me on paper and over taken me on Education.

1175 AD Monty comes by a calling.

Spoiler :

1270 AD I'm losing 17 gold at 20% research, 57 beakers and I'm stuffed. I have no idea where I'm going wrong, I can do this at MONARCH LEVEL this way, but its just not working at EMPEROR.

Initial check point 1
Initial check point 2
Check point 1 redux
Check point 2 redux

I resign. As well, 2 AI's are in WHEOOHRN mode, and both don't have ASTRONOMY.

Odyssey of the English Check point 2 con't Redux​

I may have been a bit rash, or a lot, but I decided to continue from the 1000 AD rest point.

Spoiler :

I further met Hammurabi, Hyuana, Monty boy, Zara and finally Saladin.

I traded off Education to Hammurabi and Monty for; Philosophy, Monotheism, Alphabet Gunpowder, Alphabet and Calender.

Strangely Liberalism still hasn't gone as yet, and I'm only 14 turns away form it now. If I'm lucky enough to gain it, I'll take Nationalism, as I'm stuck for any other techs.

Spoiler :

As well, the world has decided to declare war upon Monty, and being a sheep, as asked by Hammurabi, I followed suit.

Spoiler :

As well as this, I was Gifted Theology by Hammurabi, :faint: I've had Hinduism spread to one of my cities, and I'm now in the process of building a Monastery, and spreading it about my lands, I'm joining the Hindu happy family.

The turn after I wrote this, Mao beats me to Liberalism :mad:

Saladin 'requests' that I convert to Hinduism, and I comply. Its what I want after all. The trading with Monty, was a mistake, but I was desperate to off load education for all I could get, had yet to meet Saladin and Zara. I'll just have to wear the ' you -4 traded with out worst enemies' and let them forget about it over time.

Being in the Hindu happy club has netted me another gift, Divine right from Zara.

I finish researching liberalism, and find that Mao, has beaten me to trading it about, I off load Philosophy to Saladin for Compass, archery and gold.

Spoiler :

Next turn I offload Liberalism for Machinery and aesthetics, world map and gold.

Spoiler :

Trouble is, they can now all research rifling.

Spoiler :

Initial check point 1
Initial check point 2
Check point 1 redux
Check point 2 redux

Odyssey of the English Check point 3​

I continue onto where I may decide a check point 3

Spoiler :

1422 AD A great Mediator makes peace between the English and Aztce Empires. Iike I was going to do a lot of damage, I've mainly warriors in my cities.

1466 AD Monty comes on by and demands Liberalism, I give in, as I saw a frigate appear off my coast that same turn, and assumed it was Monty and his Threaten/Request force, but it was Zara instaead, stupid colours. I also revolt to free religion, to help out with research/culture.

1514 AD Saladin, gifts me Feudalism, how great am I going. I really killed myself with the whipping for the gold overflow. I've barely breached 100 on the research scale just NOW!!!!

1524 AD I get declared upon by both Mao and Saladin in the same turn, Rifle's against Archers, no hope I resign.

I've just messed this game up completely. No research, losing gold hand over fist, couldn't even get to settle off shore, and filled out my own lands at a loss. Poor effort.

Initial check point 1
Initial check point 2
Check point 1 redux
Check point 2 redux

Notes on game:
Spoiler :

1) It just sucked how I played.
2) Whipping for gold overflow cost me big time.
3) Idiot Mao, couldn't resist beating up on me.
4) Whipping warriors killed my economy.
5) Happy Hindu Club, had a recalcitrant member, MAO!!!
6) Whipping warriors for gold overflow, killed my game.
7) For the last time, Whipping warriors for gold overflow in Hereditary rule killed my economy.
8) Mao, declared at Pleased. No border's only -2 for 'you declared war on our friend'..Monty??? A FRIEND??? WTF :confused:

@ IPEX

Spoiler :
Whipping on this map seems a waste of hard to get population, so I mostly refrained from doing that. Not having a coastal capital and thus not grabbing TGL probably made a huge difference for your game. I was able to put of CoL for a long time because I got the traderoutes to cover most of my expenses on coastal cities.

Top Bottom